TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Stripes gone bad... again

i dont live by an airport. I live in the city. No factories close to where i live. Just sunny california. The thing is only the top stripes are bad, the rest of them are good. :(

As I said, this is where condensation builds first, and stays the longest.

Replace the stripes at a local auto graphics shop and get an outdoor car cover.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i dont live by an airport. I live in the city. No factories close to where i live. Just sunny california. The thing is only the top stripes are bad, the rest of them are good. :(

...sure sounds like a defect to me -- especially how it attacks some areas of the same stripe and not other areas. Hurts for me to look at them ...has to be killing you! Hope it somehow works out for you, 1218.

just got word from the dealer, it has been approved just waiting for the stripes to arrive to the dealer and have them install them.. :happy feet:

I have a car cover that I bought a week after I got my Shelby. I also live in Southern California. And I have also waxed the hell out of the car, not just for the shine, but for protection from crap like that in the air. Plus, wax provides protection from ultraviolet radiation that fades the paint.

I am always amazed by people who religiously wax their cars, but completely forget about the roofs. Have you ever looked down from a bridge or a building and seen a group of cars from above. About half of the cars that have very shiny waxed finishes in general, still have horribly faded and crappy looking roofs.

I am convinced that cars owned by short people have the worst looking roofs :hysterical3:

:lurk:

just got word from the dealer, it has been approved just waiting for the stripes to arrive to the dealer and have them install them.. :happy feet:

Anyone that's been denied a stripe replacement due to "environmental". like rain spots, should copy this thread and go back to your dealer!

:happy feet:

I have a car cover that I bought a week after I got my Shelby. I also live in Southern California. And I have also waxed the hell out of the car, not just for the shine, but for protection from crap like that in the air. Plus, wax provides protection from ultraviolet radiation that fades the paint.

I am always amazed by people who religiously wax their cars, but completely forget about the roofs. Have you ever looked down from a bridge or a building and seen a group of cars from above. About half of the cars that have very shiny waxed finishes in general, still have horribly faded and crappy looking roofs.

I am convinced that cars owned by short people have the worst looking roofs :hysterical3:

:lurk:

im not short, im 6'00..

That's great news, 1218shelby. Good things come to good folks and I'm glad to see Ford doing the right thing on this. :happy feet:

-Dan

its weird i just had some of my stripes replaced due to damage before i took ownership and the graphics guy said that the shelby kits are a high quality product with an 8 year rating.

ps he did a great job if youre in mn or close to it i can direct you to him if you need any work done.

its weird i just had some of my stripes replaced due to damage before i took ownership and the graphics guy said that the shelby kits are a high quality product with an 8 year rating.

ps he did a great job if youre in mn or close to it i can direct you to him if you need any work done.

No idea. I can't find that long a rating on Orcal's web site...but based on my ability to find a Dash Pad on the SPP web site, it doesn't mean there isn't!

:hysterical:

it sounds like you have been search impaired lately lol

HA! A CHALLENGE!

FOUND IT! (I think)

I "suspect" this is what we have, the rolls from SPP I have do not give a product code just the ORACAL logo...and because the other outdoor lower quality auto films didn't list "metallic" in the colors:

ORACAL 951M Premium Cast Metallic

Description

Cast PVC film with outstanding dimensional stability and cutting and application characteristics. Offered in 20 colors.

Release Paper

84# custom silicone-coated paper with special release characteristics that provide excellent weeding and release values.

Adhesive

Solvent polyacrylate, permanent

Areas of Use

ORACAL Series 951 Premium Cast Metallic were specially developed to create eye-catching lettering, marking and decorative elements that meet the most extreme performance requirements. With its superior conformability over rivets and corrugations and unsurpassed dimensional stability, this film is ideal for premium vehicle restyling and fleet advertising applications.

Printing Techniques

Thermal-print compatible

Thickness

2 mil

Dimensional Stability

(FINAT-TM 14) adhered to steel, no shrinkage in cross direction, in length <.004" max

Temperature Resistance

Adhered to aluminum, -58°F to +230°F

Adhesive Power

(FINAT-TM 1 after 24 hours, stainless steel min.) 4.1 lb/in²

Minimum paste up temperature

46°F

Outdoor Durability

Based on vertical exposure; Brass, Pale Gold, Pyrite - 3 years; Champagne - 5 years; Silver Grey, Anthracite - 6 years; All other colors - 7 years

Shelf Life

(68°F/50% relative humidity) 2 years

Seawaterability

(DIN 50 021)Adhered to aluminum, no variaton after 100 h/73°F

Elongation at break (across)

(DIN EN ISO 527) min. 120%

Elongation at break (along)

(DIN EN ISO 527) min. 120%

Tensile Strength (across)

(DIN EN ISO 527) min. 19MPa

Tensile Strength (along)

(DIN EN ISO 527) min. 19MPa

Resistance to solvents and chemicals

After 72 hours adhered to aluminum at room temperature, short-term resistant to most oils and greases, aliphatic solvents, weak acids, salts and alkalis

Minimum application temperature

46° F

Available Widths (in inches)

15 punched, 24, 30, 48

Available Lengths

10-yard and 50-yard rolls

Surface finish

Gloss

Number of Colors

• 1 year later...

Hey Greaser, where in Minnesota did you go? I talked with the dealership that my car came from originally and they didn't have any answers for me. I'm in the northwestern part of the state.

Thanks, Coldfingers

Gentlemen and Ladies,

For me, I go by what is in the warr. as outlined in the Bumper to Bumper 3yr/36K miles at time of purchase (not after the fact, even if there is this post written elusive document)... It is time to call out the business world on honor and ethos! If not abused or acts of neglect by the offended party and one recieves No Joy on a claim - I see two avenues to take action 1. Small Claims Court (with warr. Book in hand) proof shifts to the business to provid script on the elusive 12/12 warr. at the time of purchase (Let the Courts rule) or Youtube the product failure within the 3yr/36K miles and Corp. failure to make whole. It is also time for people to be called out for their lack of being Honorable and having no Ethos. When I am wrong, I welcome the call out. It is then I that needs to muster up a sincere apology - End of rant.

Doc :salute:

Well? They just will not replace them. Said it is due to environmental damage "fallout". Weird. Last time they said "oh ya the material was faulty and will be replaced with a new and improved material so it doesn't happen this time. They were wrong and it did happen again. Pisses me OFF! Spend that kind of money on a car and have something so simple go bad... This is CRAP!

Well? They just will not replace them. Said it is due to environmental damage "fallout". Weird. Last time they said "oh ya the material was faulty and will be replaced with a new and improved material so it doesn't happen this time. They were wrong and it did happen again. Pisses me OFF! Spend that kind of money on a car and have something so simple go bad... This is CRAP!

I agree with you I have watched this forum since new and the stripes are an issue Ford and Shelby know it sad, mine are in great shape BUT car has only 900 miles on it never in rain keep them waxed etc, funny though I have an 87 Shelby GLHS fair miles seen winter in past stripes are PERFECT Hmmm Doage used better material. When I took delivery of my car I had bubbles in stripes and would not take delivery until they got me new stripes the car is 113 so early in production and problems then, long story short they sent me new stripes no questions asked I will keep them if I have problems, man this is nuts with these cars so many issues, I feel bad for all those with this problems amd yes YOU can buy better stripes BUT these are new cars not 20 years old I guess that is enough dont want to get in trouble with web police bruce

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42158-sgt-stripe-care-warning/page__p__690115__hl__california__fromsearch__1entry690115

some of you might remeber that my silver stripes had to be replaced because of the famous discoloration. Well these new stripes are going bad again. Will Shelby replace them again? i think im over the warranty Period. They were replaced about 1 year ago. HELP..

My white SGT sat on a dealer's lot for over 6 months before I bought it so the stripes were already "spotty". Rather then mess around with more of the same vinyl problem, I had the stripes painted on at 75 miles and over 2 years ago. It now has 24,000, sits outside all of the time, is driven daily, and the painted stripes are still perfect, no chips or dings on the front/rear bumper covers, or leading edge of the hood. I had the stripes painted on (perfect match) then had the entire hood, top, bumpers covers, and hood clear coated. It is nice and shiney, waxing and washing is much easier, and I use kitchen liquid soap as a cleaner. Also, I had the stripe on the rear stripes neatly painted all the way down, no silly outline around the license plate / third brake light etc, like you see on the vinyl stripes. I don't think the value of the car will be affected much with nicely painted stripes, it will most certainly be a "negative" value if you have spotted or damaged vinyl stripes however. As a side note, the 2011 GT-350s have a painted stripe option and costs around $4,300. Your choice, but the best way to put this problem to bed, is to paint the stripes. Just one person's opinion X3 on keeping them Silver.

Right Robert but the problem for a guy who has spotty roof stripes is that the only part replaced is the roof stripes. I have been lax to take mine in as I do not want mixed and matched materials.

Well, I've had two sets of stripes and the hood scoop on my 08SGT replaced by the dealer so far. My latest set of stripes is just starting to spot (it took 6 months this time, just in time for car show season). The dealer has my replacement stripes waiting to be installed when they redo some bubbling/chipping paint on my hood at the driver side hood pin. This will be my last attempt with the vinel stripes. I've had a quote for painting and clearing the stripes at $1200 and will go that route after the new set starts to spot. This is the only thing about my SGT that I feel that Shelby/Ford dropped the ball on. For all of the negative comments of this forum and the Shelby Racing forum and the costs of warranty replacements of the vinel stripes, Shelby or Ford could have saved a lot of money, owner aggrivation and bad publicity by just painting and clearing the darn things. I don't know if Saleen or Roush have similar problems to deal with on their graphics, but is sure a bad vibe for we Shelby SGT owners.

Bob

4.6 SHLB

post-28691-127542392758_thumb.jpg

post-28691-127542392758_thumb.jpg

Well, I've had two sets of stripes and the hood scoop on my 08SGT replaced by the dealer so far. My latest set of stripes is just starting to spot (it took 6 months this time, just in time for car show season). The dealer has my replacement stripes waiting to be installed when they redo some bubbling/chipping paint on my hood at the driver side hood pin. This will be my last attempt with the vinel stripes. I've had a quote for painting and clearing the stripes at $1200 and will go that route after the new set starts to spot. This is the only thing about my SGT that I feel that Shelby/Ford dropped the ball on. For all of the negative comments of this forum and the Shelby Racing forum and the costs of warranty replacements of the vinel stripes, Shelby or Ford could have saved a lot of money, owner aggrivation and bad publicity by just painting and clearing the darn things. I don't know if Saleen or Roush have similar problems to deal with on their graphics, but is sure a bad vibe for we Shelby SGT owners.

Bob

4.6 SHLB

There was a thread here last week on the corrosion caused by the hood pin screws used to attach the base to the hood. The screws being used are steel, which causes premature galvanic corrosion to the aluminum hood. I would recommend aluminum pop rivets or find some aluminum screws to attach the base to the hood. Attached is a pic before my hood corrosion was repaired and repainted. You can tell from the photo that the corrosion originates from two of the screws used to attach the base.

post-26281-127544127421_thumb.jpg

post-26281-127544127421_thumb.jpg

Bob

4.6 SHLB

Hi Bob, I totally agree with this. I love My Shelby and it really makes me feel like Shit driving it around with the stripes as they are and for the second time too. Making it worse is that they will not do anything about it this time. I too had my scoop redone with the first set of stripes and now the second set are going and going fast. I feel that I have no recourse at all for bad material that they decided to use or that they should have been painted to begin with. The dealer I have dealt with and took care of it last time with not a problem at all, has a new guy there and would hardly talk to me about it. Did more talk about how I should try rubbing it out with polishing compound and some elbow grease that contacting someone and getting it done. I contacted the rep thru email at the same address as last time and they kept sending me back a pdf file on environmental fallout crap. Its not my fault that they picked an inferior material to withstand the environment? FIX the damn thing like I was told the first time it would be.

Ok let's take a Great product in the Shelby Mustang and F' it up with something like this. They are willing to wreck their reputation over stripes? Split it with me and Paint the things on at least. Make an attempt to save a customers future loyalty to your company. The way I feel right now? That new GT350 I want will just have to wait until I see this thing resolved.

Oh and Shelby? Don't offer a product if your not going to stand by it. What good is offering a beautiful car for sale if the person that buys it doesn't feel like driving it a few years from now. And if you haven't been effected by this, your lucky and do not know the anguish I speak of.

Its a double whammy. Your pissed that it is happening at all and having to deal with it (even a second time) but to have the company not back up their product is appalling......

Sorry about this Guys, what I must do now is foot the bill and paint the things on I guess. Quit my b'chin and move on.

L8tr.

Archived