TEAM SHELBY FORUM

'Splain this to me, Lucy!

thewheelman

My 07 vert is stone stock and I've had the clutch/tranny tsb done. It's getting pretty weather now and I'm feeling frisky (in the car). Here's a curious observation that I'm wondering if it's the road or the car. I drive the same routes almost every day. Occasionally I'll get on the car hard coming out of an intersection. I don't know if it's the road surface or the car, but when I pull out to the left and swing the tail out, it shudders and jumps--violently. On those where I turn to the right and kick the tail out, it's as smooth as silk....I can keep my foot in it and drive it out.... I haven't really tried to find different places to peel out, but I just think that it's strange the car behaves consistently, but differently on r hand and l hand corners..... :shift:

Thanks!

I'm not an expert, but sounds like normal behavior for the panhard bar -- it does not allow both rear wheels to react uniformly. I put a watts link in my Roushcharged Mustang GT (which also put a lot power down) and the same problem went away. I am planning to install a watts link this year in my GT500. Just can't decide which one.

My 07 vert is stone stock and I've had the clutch/tranny tsb done. It's getting pretty weather now and I'm feeling frisky (in the car). Here's a curious observation that I'm wondering if it's the road or the car. I drive the same routes almost every day. Occasionally I'll get on the car hard coming out of an intersection. I don't know if it's the road surface or the car, but when I pull out to the left and swing the tail out, it shudders and jumps--violently. On those where I turn to the right and kick the tail out, it's as smooth as silk....I can keep my foot in it and drive it out.... I haven't really tried to find different places to peel out, but I just think that it's strange the car behaves consistently, but differently on r hand and l hand corners..... :shift:

Thanks!

You are experiencing wheel hop. New LCAs and a UCA will take care of that.

I think this is caused by the very different forces going on at each side of the car. The driveshaft is spinning in a direction that causes the right rear wheel to unload and the left wheel take additional load.

When viewed from the back of the car, picture the drive shaft turning counter clockwise. That same counter clockwise turning driveshaft is imparting force onto the axle that would cause it to turn counter clockwise (again viewed from behind the car).

So... when you go around a left turn these added forces to the tires seem to be resulting in wheel hop, yet when you turn right they are resulting in some combo that of forces that don't wheel hop.

My first car as a youth had an open rear axle and it when you would turn right and mash it, it would spin the inside tire like crazy, but it couldn't do it around a left corner. Same deal, just alot less power....

Archived