TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My H-Pipe and KR mufflers sound clip

Grabber

Hey Rob, I read the write up you did on the H pipe install (great write-up btw), so I thought...."Tom, this is the system you should get", so I did. I took it to the shop to install everything this morning. Followed your write-up on the H pipe to the letter. Then the tech went to install the pipe and...BAM...wouldn't fit. The angle of the H pipe is different than the x pipe they took off. Do you have any explanations or is this just an odd-ball case of something not fitting right...kind of like your stage 2 issue :banghead:

There is a top and a bottom. The H-Pipe is marked. Did they try to put it in upside down ?

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is a top and a bottom. The H-Pipe is marked. Did they try to put it in upside down ?

No everything was done right. I spoke with Wes...Extremely nice guy... and in doing the measurements, it seems my exhaust from the headers to the x-pipe are different. Not sure why, maybe a convertible???, but the h-pipe has a greater degree of angle than my x-pipe. Wednseday we are going to loosen the headers from the manifold, attach the h-pipe and then reattach the headers. Hopefully this will in essence bens the pipes back to fitting. Not sure sure why they are off, we followed your directions to the letter :headscratch: Oh btw, I was very happy to see that you got the stage 2 installed will no problems. What a stand up guy Justin is to take care of you. I love this forum. :happy feet:

No everything was done right. I spoke with Wes...Extremely nice guy... and in doing the measurements, it seems my exhaust from the headers to the x-pipe are different. Not sure why, maybe a convertible???, but the h-pipe has a greater degree of angle than my x-pipe. Wednseday we are going to loosen the headers from the manifold, attach the h-pipe and then reattach the headers. Hopefully this will in essence bens the pipes back to fitting. Not sure sure why they are off, we followed your directions to the letter :headscratch: Oh btw, I was very happy to see that you got the stage 2 installed will no problems. What a stand up guy Justin is to take care of you. I love this forum. :happy feet:

I have a spare X pipe. They are all the same for the Verts and coups.

Are you saying you have headers ?

Here is a look at my spare set up that is the same as all factory GT500's:

GT5002009Pics084.jpg

GT5002009Pics083.jpg

GT5002009Pics082.jpg

I have a spare X pipe. They are all the same for the Verts and coups.

Are you saying you have headers ?

Here is a look at my spare set up that is the same as all factory GT500's:

GT5002009Pics084.jpg

GT5002009Pics083.jpg

GT5002009Pics082.jpg

No headers, just can't figure out why the x pipe and h pipe are different for my car :headscratch: Now I have the x pipe completely cut out of the car and trying to figure out what to do at this point. I know I'm getting the stage 2 but really don't want full headers but may have to go that route now that the x pipe is cut out and the h doesn't fit. I may have someone try to bend the h pipe to fit, Wes said that would not affect anything.

No headers, just can't figure out why the x pipe and h pipe are different for my car :headscratch: Now I have the x pipe completely cut out of the car and trying to figure out what to do at this point. I know I'm getting the stage 2 but really don't want full headers but may have to go that route now that the x pipe is cut out and the h doesn't fit. I may have someone try to bend the h pipe to fit, Wes said that would not affect anything.

Did you bungi the H-pipe to the bottom of the X pipe so the cuts would be in the right location. :headscratch:

If your guy did that he would of been able to see if something was off before he made the cuts. :headscratch:

I'm sorry your having so many problems with this mod.

Did you bungi the H-pipe to the bottom of the X pipe so the cuts would be in the right location. :headscratch:

If your guy did that he would of been able to see if something was off before he made the cuts. :headscratch:

I'm sorry your having so many problems with this mod.

No we didn't bungee it up. One guy held it and the other guy marked it to be cut. Until the x pipe was actually off and we overlaid the h pipe, it was hard to see that the angle was off. Even so, we thought that since there was room to adjust the pipe back and forth to get the h pipe to fit......but it was a no go :cry:

We need to bend the h pipe to get the correct angle. It's just one of those things (you've been there!!) we have to deal with and make work or move on to something else. Thanks for the help Rob.

So what's the plan? :headscratch:

First we are going to try and connect the drivers side h pipe then loosen the passenger exhaust at the manifold to give it a little of play. If we are able to connect the h pipe then we'll tighten the exhaust back up. That was the recommendation from Wes. If that fails, we will cut the h pipe, connect it, then weld it back together. According to Wes, this will also work without affecting the sound of the h pipe. The sound comes from the "crimp" in the h. If that doesn't work, then I'm selling the car...... :jackinbox: j/k. Not sure what I'm going to do next.

Raw once again I'm sorry about the alignment issues and wish I were there to lend a hand! Is there anyway you'd could take some pics of the cut and the H up to the headers?

I would like to see pic's too. This is the first one of these installs gone amuck. Pic's are worth a thousand words.

Raw once again I'm sorry about the alignment issues and wish I were there to lend a hand! Is there anyway you'd could take some pics of the cut and the H up to the headers?

Wes, I'm waiting on my stage 2 to arrive and then I'm taking it to the performance shop for the install. I've decided to take it there and install the h pipe also since I trust them a little more than just a "muffler shop". I will definately take pictures of everything when we do that, probably next week sometime. I'll keep you informed and post the pics. Thanks again for spending the time on the phone with me trying to come up with a solution, this is definately an anomoly with my car and not an issue with the product :doh:

Wes, I'm waiting on my stage 2 to arrive and then I'm taking it to the performance shop for the install. I've decided to take it there and install the h pipe also since I trust them a little more than just a "muffler shop". I will definately take pictures of everything when we do that, probably next week sometime. I'll keep you informed and post the pics. Thanks again for spending the time on the phone with me trying to come up with a solution, this is definately an anomoly with my car and not an issue with the product :doh:

Have you totally ruled out the possibility of the muffler shop guy making an error in the lay out and or cuts ?

I

Have you totally ruled out the possibility of the muffler shop guy making an error in the lay out and or cuts ?

I

LOL, no definately have not ruled out a miss cut by the muffler shop. But in talking with Wes, it would be very difficult to miss cut it because there can be a lot of play/adjustment to the h pipe just moving it back and forth. I will get to the bottom of it next week when I take it in to the performance shop. I'll also post the pics so the "experts" can review them. I just don't know, I thought it would be an easy mod but like anything it can turn into a project :banghead: The good part is I'm not going to stress it because I know it will get fixed and I'll be happy with the sound of the stage 2 next week :happy feet: Thanks Rob.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Wes, Thank you for calling yesterday, that was a pleasure talking with you. I can't wait to have the H-pipe on the car, with other modifications while the car is in the air (brake cooling ducts and power steering cooling are in the planning). I will first test the H-pipe with the orignal mufflers because the KR mufflers may attract cops like flies where I am :redcard:

Dear Grabber, I feel sorry that you spend most week ends under your car and not so much in you car :superhero::shift: looking at your the pictures posted.

However that's good for the community because your writings are great source of inspiration on how to efficently spend more money in cool mods :doh: . :salute:

Hi Wes, Thank you for calling yesterday, that was a pleasure talking with you. I can't wait to have the H-pipe on the car, with other modifications while the car is in the air (brake cooling ducts and power steering cooling are in the planning). I will first test the H-pipe with the orignal mufflers because the KR mufflers may attract cops like flies where I am :redcard:

Dear Grabber, I feel sorry that you spend most week ends under your car and not so much in you car :superhero::shift: looking at your the pictures posted.

However that's good for the community because your writings are great source of inspiration on how to efficently spend more money in cool mods :doh: . :salute:

I enjoy all aspects of my car...including be under it.happy%20feet.gif

It's raining all day here :cry: and I don't want to dirty my car ... but as the withdrawal symptoms set-in, I find myself watching Rob's video (post #1 on this thread) again and again, just imagining myself driving that beast down some rural country roads ... life is good :happy feet:

• 2 weeks later...
AWESOME!! Do you know if that H-pipe and the KR mufflers will fit the 2010? 2011? Ford Racing site shows the mufflers fits 07 thru 09.

I was thinking the same thing. Is 1/2" a big difference too?? -- since the KR mufflers have 3.5" tips and the stock 2010 tips are 4"...... :headscratch:

I was thinking the same thing. Is 1/2" a big difference too?? -- since the KR mufflers have 3.5" tips and the stock 2010 tips are 4"...... :headscratch:

I don't think the muffler tips make a difference; they're more for aesthetics than anything else. What you should confirm is if the rest of the KR axle-back matches that of the stock 2010 design, to ensure a correct fit. By the way, I just installed my KR's yesterday, along with a PHRP H-pipe on my 2007 convertible, and what a difference it made. My car originally came with a pair of Bassani axle-backs from the dealer. While it sounded good (very Italian IMHO), the drone created at 1,800rpms drove me crazy. Plus the muffler-tips were designed to be pointed downwards :headscratch: , towards the road, something I didn't appreciate. The 4" tips were polished and very attractive.

The KR's w/H-pipe on the other hand totally scream muscle-car; that rumble, that grunt - sounds like raw power waiting to be unleashed ... :drool: The dreaded drone is GONE and the tips shoot straight out from the mufflers; very nice. My ride sounds so good with the top down, love it now more than ever! Another plus for this set-up is unless you jab or floor the throttle, there really isn't much noise filtering into the cabin (with top on), and cruising at 60mph is ....... actually quiet.

My 2-cents.

- BORG

AWESOME!! Do you know if that H-pipe and the KR mufflers will fit the 2010? 2011? Ford Racing site shows the mufflers fits 07 thru 09.

Here's the equivalent mufflers for the 2010 GT500 - M-5230-SA. Looks like the tips are longer and the body is powder-coated black and a bit more costly too.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...tKeyField=11109

Kind of new to the GT 500, old school fox stang man here. On the Fox cars weinstalled X pipes and remoced h pipes., Why am I seeing guys removeing the the x pipe and replaceing it with an H-pipe?? I have an 07 Shelby headed my way real soon cant wait!!!!!

I enjoy all aspects of my car...including be under it.happy%20feet.gif

Rob,

I haven't been reading this site for a while, been involved, but what has happened to Evolution Performance. It seemed to be the go-to place for Stage 1, 2 and three. Now it seems that VMP is being touted! What gives?

Ebonyvert

I did not go through the whole thread , just the beginning and the awesome sound from the vid you posted, great write up as usual, on a side note: this is the first time i see you going one way traffic with your mods, i mean cutting the X, did you probe the cost of replacing the whole pipe and keeping the original intact, if so what is the cost am looking at to get the KR H without compromising my original X pipe?

I did not go through the whole thread , just the beginning and the awesome sound from the vid you posted, great write up as usual, on a side note: this is the first time i see you going one way traffic with your mods, i mean cutting the X, did you probe the cost of replacing the whole pipe and keeping the original intact, if so what is the cost am looking at to get the KR H without compromising my original X pipe?

You didn't really think I would hack my X-pipe with out having a back up....did you?

Here's the info you seek:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...ic=42146&hl=

You didn't really think I would hack my X-pipe with out having a back up....did you?

Here's the info you seek:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...ic=42146&hl=

No i did not ...lol, i knew there was missing info and now you linked to it.

It will be interesting project since i think the sound you had in the vid is the one, now time to look for a spare X pipe.

Archived