TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My H-Pipe and KR mufflers sound clip

Grabber

I now have the H-Pipe installed on my car. It is very similar to the H-Pipe on the KR. I got it from Powerhouse Racing & Performance. What a quality piece.

http://powerhouserp....ntpage&Itemid=1

I have the KR Mufflers (Ford racing) on my car as well. Now my car sounds Like a KR.

I know you guys want to hear it. So before I post pic's and do a write up on the install I will give you the video / sound clips.

Here's the KR mufflers and H-Pipe at idle and some revs.

th_Apr162009-VID00001.jpg

Here's the KR mufflers and H-Pipe on a drive. This is what it would sound like if you were riding in the trunk with the trunk open and looking back behind you. Lol.

th_Apr162009-VID00002.jpg

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The H-Pipe has very nice welds on it and is made out of SS and it fit very well. After I clamped it in, the exhaust system was very solid and could not move at all. The angles on the piece are right on the money. The piece is has a stamp in it that says “top” because the piece is slightly angled to line up with the exhaust. Very good engineering. Before I lowered my car down I started it up and went back under the car and looked and felt and listened for leaks. Tight as a drum and leak free.

The sound in the cabin of my coup is so cool. It is a little bit louder than just having the KR mufflers and the sound is now deeper. It has more bass to it. I noticed that the popping sound is now minimized a little bit more than when I had just the KR mufflers on. There is a totally different sound now when I get on this car. It’s hard to explain, but it is way different than just having the KR mufflers. The car seems to have an added growl to it. Kind of a rumble growl. It’s so cool. I love the sound.

I did the install in my garage in 45 minutes. I put the front and back of my car up in the air. First I backed the car up ontop my Rhino ramps and then jacked the front up and placed jack stands under the car.

KRMufflersH-Pipe017.jpg

KRMufflersH-Pipe020.jpg

The piece comes packed very nicely with plenty of bubble wrap.

KRMufflersH-Pipe026.jpg

First measure over 1-¾ inch on you existing clamps on your X-Pipe and put a mark on it. Do both sides.

KRMufflersH-Pipe035.jpg

Then bungi chord the H-pipe to the bottom of the X-Pipe. Line the H-Pipe up with the 2 marks you put on the clamps.

KRMufflersH-Pipe036.jpg

KRMufflersH-Pipe037.jpg

Then once the H-Pipe is all lined up with the marks, put a mark on the front where you have to make the cuts. My finger is pointing to where the marks go and that is where the cut will take place.

KRMufflersH-Pipe038.jpg

KRMufflersH-Pipe039.jpg

Then take some tape and put it all the way around the pipe to lay out your final cut.

KRMufflersH-Pipe040.jpg

Put a bungi chord on the back side of the X-pipe by the clamps to provide some temporary support because once you cut the pipes…they will dangle.

KRMufflersH-Pipe041.jpg

Here’s what it looks like after you remove the X-pipe. You need to take a round bastard file and clean up the rough edges of the metal too.

KRMufflersH-Pipe042.jpg

X-pipe removed.

KRMufflersH-Pipe052.jpg

The new H-Pipe has a stamp in it that says “TOP”. Make sure you put that facing up to the car or your angle will be off.

KRMufflersH-Pipe043.jpg

Slide the clamps onto the existing pipes and position the H-Pipe inplace. Then tighten things up. You need to adjust your muffler tips as you tighten the bolts up. Use a torque wrench to put the bolts at 45. Check the bolts after you drive it and re-torque them. I did this and they were a little loose from the heat and cool down.

KRMufflersH-Pipe044.jpg

The finished installed product looks great. It looks very professional. In fact I would go so far to say that it has a “factory” look to it. It is very strong and does not move or leak at all. Here’s my final install pic’s.

KRMufflersH-Pipe045.jpg

KRMufflersH-Pipe046.jpg

KRMufflersH-Pipe047.jpg

KRMufflersH-Pipe050.jpg

KRMufflersH-Pipe051.jpg

Very cool dude!!

Did you notice that your driver's side is WAY lower than the passenger's side though? I had that issue on my Magnaflow, then on my KR exhaust... took us forever to get the darned things to line up properly.

So the X pipe just makes it louder and a little deeper? I love my KR exhaust, not sure if I wanna go louder (love to hear my S/C whine), but wouldn't mind it being a bit deeper.

What a great product. I’m very happy. :happy feet:

I listened to both the before and after and honestly can't tell the difference except you seemed to drive more aggressively the second time. The second video sounded like you had the throttle wide open some of the time while the before video sounded like you were only about 1/2 to 3/4 open. Maybe that is just the difference in the H pipe. It sounded louder and more raspy. Just my thoughts. Nice write up and videos.

The exhaust tips were very easy to align. Took all of 2 minutes to do. I was driving more agressive in the video and the recorder is velcro's to the rear lic. plate. So if it seems a little loud, you need to keep in mind that the recorder is right next to the tailpipe. I rode with both my windows down and the sound is much quieter in the car.

The difference in the sound is hard to tell with the recorder right next to the tail pipe....but you can hear the difference in the car as you drive it and play with the throttle and vary the RPM's.

I will get a 2 interior recordings. The first one will be shifting at 3500 RPM's and the 2nd one will be shifting at 5500 RPM's. It's raining today....so maybe tomorrow.

So the X pipe just makes it louder and a little deeper? I love my KR exhaust, not sure if I wanna go louder (love to hear my S/C whine), but wouldn't mind it being a bit deeper.

The SC whine is still very noticeable and since it comes from the front of the car it was unaffected. I can still hear it loud and clear.

in regards to the sound of the H-Pipe, I posted this in post #2 to adress your question:

The sound in the cabin of my coup is so cool. It is a little bit louder than just having the KR mufflers and the sound is now deeper. It has more bass to it. I noticed that the popping sound is now minimized a little bit more than when I had just the KR mufflers on. There is a totally different sound now when I get on this car. It’s hard to explain, but it is way different than just having the KR mufflers. The car seems to have an added growl to it. Kind of a rumble growl. It’s so cool. I love the sound.

Great job as always Grabber. I think the H pipe sounds better in your video. My KR's were not to loud on the inside but they are to loud on the outside for my tastes. I pulled them back off and I'm selling them to get Corsa's. $499 obo plus free shipping if any one is interested.

Terry

Great job as always Grabber. I think the H pipe sounds better in your video. My KR's were not to loud on the inside but they are to loud on the outside for my tastes. I pulled them back off and I'm selling them to get Corsa's. $499 obo plus free shipping if any one is interested.

Terry

I think you may be able to find someone that wants to trade you straight up.

Vacation day yesterday ! :happy feet:

what does vacation day mean - can you buy one at Wal-Mart? :headscratch:

looked vacation in the dictionary and found out what it is

(period of rest from work, study, ect) Hey I leaned a new word

today. /Thanks Grabber :hysterical:

Great writeup as usual Grabber!! I'm not sold on the sound thou...
It's not for everyone.

There are alot of choices out there.

I'm very partial to this sound because of the history that it has behind it and the engineering efforts that have been done to make it possible and bring it to those of us that do not have a KR, but want the KR sound.

What mufflers and or exhaust do you have?

Archived