TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone read the No Respect thread in SGT Section?

DubbsFaris

I mean, I know there is always a nay sayer in the group, but damn...I love both cars...what is with the hating towards the GT500?

Im not going to comment anymore on it...you draw your own conclusions...but we need unity, not seperatism...I just dont get it. :headscratch:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not read it, but it sounds rediculous, a car guy is a car guy, whether it be chevy, dodge, ford, etc.... Of course there will be some rivalry, and I would not turn down a little light to light action with anyone, but its all good in the end.

I mean, I know there is always a nay sayer in the group, but damn...I love both cars...what is with the hating towards the GT500?

Im not going to comment anymore on it...you draw your own conclusions...but we need unity, not seperatism...I just dont get it. :headscratch:

I agree, it's rediculous and serves no purpose to be at odds with different car owners, let alone different Shelby owners. I know one of my good friends has a SGT and we get together all the time to admire each others cars and talk shop. I just don't get it :doh:

You know what it comes down to? The better car, is simply the one YOU drive. You'll have die-hard GT500 owners, Shelby GT, GT-H owners, Bullit... the list goes on folks! The "which is better" is a hard topic. You have to compare them and just make a decision...

Someone in this forum said "to each their own."

:lurk:

I guess I have some reading to do :lurk:

I love my SGT but love the GT 500s too. I wish I had the dough to have one of each. :drool:

If I win the lottery tonight, I want one of each in every color!!! Then my big decision for the day would be which one to drive :happy feet:

I'm thinking that any rivalry here on the Team Shelby Forums is just good natured fun and is not to be taken too seriously. At least I hope so.

Keep in mind that this rivalry between Shelby models has always existed even before the 2005+ Shelby's.

It used to be that 1965-67 Shelby Mustang owners boasted that they had a real Shelby because their car went thru Shelby's facility and not the A.O. Smith facility.

This rivalry carried on thru the Dodge years. The owners of cars built at Shelby's Whittier California plant always seemed to poke fun at the owners of cars Shelby's built on Chryslers assembly line saying their car wasn't a real Shelby because it didn't go thru Shelby's facility.

I've always looked at it this way. Carroll considers all cars with his name on them to be Shelby's no matter who built them so if Carroll considers all Shelby's to be Shelby's that's good enough for me.

Again I think this is mostly good natured fun, kind of like which color is the fastest.

Steve

This nothing new on the Team Shelby forum. There were many spirited debates on stangsunleashed. I agree that the best car is the one which you own. They are all awesome cars. Enjoy yours. The lucky ones are those that have both or more. I know if I won the lottery, I would add a Supersnake to my garage as well as a 2008 Shelby GT (probably convertible) as a daily driver. Of course I would add several other cars to remain nameless.

In the end any rivalry should be all in good fun. If a poster takes the rivalry too far; just ignore them.

Those of you who go back a while will recall that, before CD85 in January 2008, the GT500 vs. SGT feelings ran pretty high. At CS85 the owners of both cars got the chance to see the other car up close and personal, talk with the other owners and, generally, see that we are all car people.

On the track, we saw the SGTs, everything being equal, able to corner better for understandable reasons, i.e., lowered car, stiffer suspension and lighter weight. On that same track, the second the cars got on the straight away, we saw the GT500s able to go faster for obvious reasons, i.e., bigger motor and a superchaged motor.

It was through that experience that we all learned how different these cars are. In the time since, what has happened? Some of the SGT owners have supercharged their cars and some of the GT500 owners have lowered theirs and tightened up the suspension.

At CS86, people were letting others drive their cars on the track so they could feel the difference in the cars. They are very different cars but in a good way.

When I made my choice, I knew I wanted the SGT but would supercharge it to meet my needs. The lighter weight offset the fact that I would never be able to match the horsepower made by a GT500 motor. I wanted a road car that had, relatively, tons of power and that could stop on a dime. What I have is exactly what I wanted and works well for me.

I don't think most of the folks on the other thread are bashing the GT500 as much as they are frustrated at the lack of knowledge out there about the SGT. Everyone agrees Ford did about zero marketing for the car so the lack of public awareness is not a surprise. GT500 people who drive a SGT love it. SGT people who drive a GT500 love it (I sure enjoyed my drive in one). Some of the discontent may be over the feeling that SAI is perceived by some to be catering almost exclusively to the GT500 crowd. Those with that perception are peeved because they feel that the SGT brought SAI back from the dead and believe that the SGT is somewhat forgotten by SAI at this point.

One person on this thread said it best and I will paraphrase, "I wish I could have one of each."

My two cents.

Jim

Those of you who go back a while will recall that, before CD85 in January 2008, the GT500 vs. SGT feelings ran pretty high. At CS85 the owners of both cars got the chance to see the other car up close and personal, talk with the other owners and, generally, see that we are all car people.

On the track, we saw the SGTs, everything being equal, able to corner better for understandable reasons, i.e., lowered car, stiffer suspension and lighter weight. On that same track, the second the cars got on the straight away, we saw the GT500s able to go faster for obvious reasons, i.e., bigger motor and a superchaged motor.

It was through that experience that we all learned how different these cars are. In the time since, what has happened? Some of the SGT owners have supercharged their cars and some of the GT500 owners have lowered theirs and tightened up the suspension.

At CS86, people were letting others drive their cars on the track so they could feel the difference in the cars. They are very different cars but in a good way.

When I made my choice, I knew I wanted the SGT but would supercharge it to meet my needs. The lighter weight offset the fact that I would never be able to match the horsepower made by a GT500 motor. I wanted a road car that had, relatively, tons of power and that could stop on a dime. What I have is exactly what I wanted and works well for me.

I don't think most of the folks on the other thread are bashing the GT500 as much as they are frustrated at the lack of knowledge out there about the SGT. Everyone agrees Ford did about zero marketing for the car so the lack of public awareness is not a surprise. GT500 people who drive a SGT love it. SGT people who drive a GT500 love it (I sure enjoyed my drive in one). Some of the discontent may be over the feeling that SAI is perceived by some to be catering almost exclusively to the GT500 crowd. Those with that perception are peeved because they feel that the SGT brought SAI back from the dead and believe that the SGT is somewhat forgotten by SAI at this point.

One person on this thread said it best and I will paraphrase, "I wish I could have one of each."

My two cents.

Jim

Well said...+100

I drove an SGT last fall, just for kicks, and it was awesome. The exhaust sound and tight suspension made for a very entertaining ride.

It felt like a race car actually. Very cool...

If I had the $$$ I'd buy an orange one with silver stripes and do the supercharger upgrade. Even stock the car is sweet.

I try not get into what is "more Shelby" or "less Shelby". Who cares???? We are all the luckiest since Shelby and Ford hooked up and we all get these sweet cars to look at and drive for a long time.

COme on and just admit it that the ................................................ is better :hysterical::drool::angry22::slapfight::banvictory:

I agree with Steve - it's good spirited fun.

The great thing about the GT500s and Shelby GTs is that they serve different markets and needs. The GT500 is a 1/4 warrior and the SGT a terror on the track. GM and Chrysler don't have a counter part like this for their Camaro/Challenger.

I went back & re-read the "no respect" thread. It seems to me the original poster was refering

to the "general publics" uninformed view of the SGT. The Shelby crowd knows what these vehicles

are, I dont believe he was pointing fingers at anyone within the Shelby community, but somehow

it always seems to be taken personal by one group or another. We all own SHELBY'S, they're

all great cars, let's just enjoy 'em........... my .02 cents

Archived