TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

BanditSRT8

So I was cruising by one of my local Ford dealers and caught sight of the new Grabber Blue, and realized they had a new '10 GT on their lot. So I drove in to look at it in person.

I had been attracted to the overall design from images I had seen, but was kind of up in the air about the rear end. Here are my impressions of the car after seeing it in person:

Grabber Blue is a wierd color. Makes the car look like clay or plastic. Not a fan.

The GT looks cheap. I'm sure the Shelby will look nicer with the more aggressive styling, but the standard GT has way too much black plastic on the front end (like around the lights) and looks really awful.

Aside from the cheap black plastic, I liked the front end. The throwback to the 70's Mustangs is really cool I think.

LOVED the interior. Really was a nice, slick upgrade from our current cars. I like the new options added like the heated seats... since we're not trying to buy a stripped down dragstrip car... it's nice to finally get comfort options!

The quarter windows are oddly smaller than our current ones. Looks out of place compared to the car.

The rear end is absolutely horrible. Really. Not only the odd shape, but even the tail lenses... they bubble out instead of fitting flush to the car. There is no good angle to view it from in person... it is just awful.

Also, the car looks a lot larger now. The new overhang on the front end along with the odd way the rear juts out... the car looks a lot bigger than our current models.

I wanted to like it, but I just can't. I will reserve full judgement until I see the Shelby in person though.

So I was cruising by one of my local Ford dealers and caught sight of the new Grabber Blue, and realized they had a new '10 GT on their lot. So I drove in to look at it in person.

I had been attracted to the overall design from images I had seen, but was kind of up in the air about the rear end. Here are my impressions of the car after seeing it in person:

Grabber Blue is a wierd color. Makes the car look like clay or plastic. Not a fan.

The GT looks cheap. I'm sure the Shelby will look nicer with the more aggressive styling, but the standard GT has way too much black plastic on the front end (like around the lights) and looks really awful.

Aside from the cheap black plastic, I liked the front end. The throwback to the 70's Mustangs is really cool I think.

LOVED the interior. Really was a nice, slick upgrade from our current cars. I like the new options added like the heated seats... since we're not trying to buy a stripped down dragstrip car... it's nice to finally get comfort options!

The quarter windows are oddly smaller than our current ones. Looks out of place compared to the car.

The rear end is absolutely horrible. Really. Not only the odd shape, but even the tail lenses... they bubble out instead of fitting flush to the car. There is no good angle to view it from in person... it is just awful.

Also, the car looks a lot larger now. The new overhang on the front end along with the odd way the rear juts out... the car looks a lot bigger than our current models.

I wanted to like it, but I just can't. I will reserve full judgement until I see the Shelby in person though.

I looked a grey GT today. Interior is an improvement, speedo easier to read, but nothing that would want me to change to. I have trouble understanding all the accolades given to the new interior. It's not a monumental improvement as others will say. I still love my 08 GT500 interior. I am not a big fan of the rear either, but what a real turn was off was the front end. Looks cheap. And yes the car does look bigger. Haven't seen a 2010 GT500 yet.

I have read negative comments about the plastic you mention also on other sites, as well as the rear end styling (which I also do not like from the photos). One comment you have that is also interesting is that about how much larger the car looks, because Ford's intent on the styling changes was actually to make it look smaller.

Ford had to do something, however, to update the car adequately to transition the '05 to '09 generation to whatever comes next. Maybe they should have done a little less, but hindsight is always 20/20.

So, as is the case so many times, it may be better just to leave some things alone!

We have a couple on the lot and I like the car. Not a HUGE fan of the rearend, but still a good looking car

MM

I like your subtle way of saying it is "BUTT UGLY"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hysterical:

Haven`t seen one other than pictures but I don`t like the rear of the car, seems that this is one thing that alot have said about the exterior.

We have a couple on the lot and I like the car. Not a HUGE fan of the rearend, but still a good looking car

MM

I like your subtle way of saying it is "BUTT UGLY"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hysterical:

Nyeh. I'm not much of a butt guy either. I do like a nice smile, though.

I have to give Ford credit though, the interior is to die for.

I really REALLY want that shift knob!!

Im new to the forum but i need to say,whats with all the negativty on the 2010 Gt500. Theres never been a perfect car,they all need some tweaking.Im just happy that Ford puts out an almost perfect product,and have confidence they will improve.I saw the same thing (negativity) on the Pontiac GTO that was almost revived--it was a great car for the money,but everyone jumped on the looks, the exhaust, interior noise,and ultimately killed the product--folks woud read/hear the negatives and wouldnt buy--hope that doesnt happen to the Shelby,since this is my first one.

I started the post (Ford destroyed the 1010 GT500). The Denver Auto shaow had the 2010 GT and GT500.I complained about the rear end and all the black plastic too. I couldn't figure out what car the rear end reminded me of untill yesterday. I might be crazy but to me it looks a lot like the back of a Prius. The rear end just seems like it is five feet tall to me. One thing that strikes me funny is how big the fake fuel door is on the new cars. Last thing there is way way way to much black plastic on the GT500.

I like the 2010's allot and 2009 next to the 2010 and the 2010 looks smaller at least to me . After driving a 2010 there is no comparsion, the 2010 is a much better ride. In the 2010 they really made an effort to reduce the NVH in the car, allot less noise. The car sounds allot better when you romp on it, I would say epic. The 2010 is a must drive, everything is just right the console is perfect, the interior at night is just awesome, the sounds it makes and does not make is great. The ride is so refine compaired to ours it just unbelievable. I was at a point after the drive, wanting the GT version of a Mustang over my GT500, could not do it GT500 has allot more power, but I will wait because the GT500 will be that much better again.

I like the 2010's allot and 2009 next to the 2010 and the 2010 looks smaller at least to me . After driving a 2010 there is no comparsion, the 2010 is a much better ride. In the 2010 they really made an effort to reduce the NVH in the car, allot less noise. The car sounds allot better when you romp on it, I would say epic. The 2010 is a must drive, everything is just right the console is perfect, the interior at night is just awesome, the sounds it makes and does not make is great. The ride is so refine compaired to ours it just unbelievable. I was at a point after the drive, wanting the GT version of a Mustang over my GT500, could not do it GT500 has allot more power, but I will wait because the GT500 will be that much better again.

Thanks for the positive report,i see it the same way.

I hope Ford adopts that same basic idea that Porsche has done for almost 50 years with regards to the overall design of the 911. Its basically kept the same shape all those years. Now that Ford is producing a Mustang that actually looks like a how a Mustang is suppossed to look, I hope they dont stray from that again. No offense to the 1971-2004 years... I've owned 3 from those era's, but Ford brought back the 60's with the 2005 and its been good.

The new 2010, argue you all you want about plastic this or rear end looks bad ( I agree) it still looks like a Mustang and is unmistakeable when seen on the street. Hopefully in the coming years, they continue to keep the same look, with just subtle changes perhaps to the front, rear and interior.

Where did you get to drive a 2010 GT500? Are they showing up at some dealers?

Not digging ANY of the styling.

As for the interior, I like that the center stack has more room, but the two horizontal square vents are nowhere NEAR as cool as the matching round ones on my car.

And the extra tube that "delivers intake sound to the cabin"?

Ouch.

Jer

I saw the new 2010 V6 at my local dealer and I have to say Ford did it's homework. Under the bright blue skies it's a thing of beauty. It was parked next to a KR, and the first thing I noticed was that the V6 wheels and the 18" Alcoas are virtually identical. Then I noticed the enormous resemblance between the front end of the V6 and GT500. Geeze, once you put the optional Ford installed "Super Snake" stripes on it, the V6 could pass for a 07-09 GT500. Thanks again, Ford, for my "limited edition" GT500. Bad enough there will be thousands of more 500's (for the foreseeable future), but now the low-buck Mustang looks like a 500 twin.

Thats odd that you thought it looked larger than the 05-09. I have read the complete opposite.

Well you have the same basic car design and size from fender to fender with the addition of a longer snout, and a rear end with more overhang... how could anyone say it was smaller???? The 2010 is longer, and that's the 1st thing that will hit you when you see it. Well, unless you see it from the rear first, then the 1st thing that will hit you is overwhelming nausea.

Right now the 2010 Mustang GT looks like an 09 Mustang GT with a cheap body kit. Really. Same basic look from fender to fender (except for the smaller quarter windows) and the only real outside change that is easily noticed are the front/rear fascias.

I am hoping the more aggressive design of the GT500 will win me over. All I keep hearing about is how much better the suspension is, how it is better balanced, it sounds better, it is more powerful... so it sounds terrific... as long as it is also visually appealing, and so far the base it is built on does not impress me at all.

I do hope the GT500 shift knob fits our shifters though... I WANT one in a bad, bad way. I saw it in the Edmunds.com video review of the 2010 GT500 and now I can't stop thinking about it.

Well you have the same basic car design and size from fender to fender with the addition of a longer snout, and a rear end with more overhang... how could anyone say it was smaller???? The 2010 is longer, and that's the 1st thing that will hit you when you see it. Well, unless you see it from the rear first, then the 1st thing that will hit you is overwhelming nausea.

Right now the 2010 Mustang GT looks like an 09 Mustang GT with a cheap body kit. Really. Same basic look from fender to fender (except for the smaller quarter windows) and the only real outside change that is easily noticed are the front/rear fascias.

I am hoping the more aggressive design of the GT500 will win me over. All I keep hearing about is how much better the suspension is, how it is better balanced, it sounds better, it is more powerful... so it sounds terrific... as long as it is also visually appealing, and so far the base it is built on does not impress me at all.

I do hope the GT500 shift knob fits our shifters though... I WANT one in a bad, bad way. I saw it in the Edmunds.com video review of the 2010 GT500 and now I can't stop thinking about it.

BanditSRT8, the quarter windows are the same, not smaller. The whole roofline is unchanged. Second, you can go to any ford dealer and order the 2010 shelby GT500 shift knob and retrofit it in your car. On another thread or other website for mustangs, I saw guy did this, with pictures, possibly SVTperformance, but not sure.

Archived