TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT REAR GAS CAP EMBLEM *OPINIONS*

socalwrench

Rear Gas Cap Emblem  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which emblem do you think looks better on our SGT cars?

• Cobra Snake Brushed Emblem
    • 'Shelby GT' Cobra Emblem Overlay
    • CS Logo Emblem Overlay
    • 'Shelby' Trunk Lock Trim

I am going to change out the awful chrome GT gas cap emblem on my SGT. I am wanting to know your opinion as to which emblem you think looks better and fits the SGT better?

I must admit I like the brushed finish better. However, I like how the other one actually says 'Shelby GT'. Although, perhaps I should stay away from the Cobra emblem altogether; even though SPP sells plenty of Cobra stuff?

OPTION 1:

M-2301-S.jpg

OPTION 2:

101076.jpg

OPTION 3:

101029.jpg

OPTION 4:

101211.jpg

Option one is the same as the fauz cap found on the 2008 FR500CJ. (In fact one the box it says 'Fake Snake'!) I have one of those caps and if I had a SGT, it would probably find its way on it. Option 3 is pretty hard to beat as well.

I put option 1 on my SGT convertible because it is reminiscent of the 1968 GT-350 convertible when viewed from the rear, especially with the stripes and roll bar. I disagree that this is the GT-500 emblem because the GT-500 emblem actually says Shelby GT-500. It is a distinctly different part, similar but different. This emblem was designed by Ford Racing for ALL 2005-2009 Mustangs. Both snake emblems (S and Tiff) are variations of a Cobra. It is not a real fuel door, thus fake gas cap, "Faux fuel door". The Shelby GT has genuine Cobra DNA in it's heritage from the hood scoop (427 Cobra Roadster), Powered By Ford emblems (Cobra Roadster), light bar (1968 Ford Mustang Shelby Cobra GT 350-500). These effects are direct lineage to various Shelby Cobra automobiles. There is no mistaking the 1966 GT-350 look from the front (billet grill with tribar pony) and no mistaking the 1968 Shelby GT350 convertible look from the rear of the convertible models (stripes + light bar). Shelby did a great job with the looks of these cars. I am actually surprised the FRPP faux fuel door was not installed by SAI on the Shelby GTs because most of the the other upgrade parts are from Ford Racing.

I get nothing but compliments on my car too from people of all ages.

Well..pet peeve subject here for me so stand-by! Yes, believe it or not I do have an opinion!

:hysterical:

Ok...let's start with the fact I was a "NO COBRAS" guy and if you go back you will find many of my "Just say no to Cobras" rants. So putting that aside you will also find me VERY adamant that the car should have very specific and individual branding and identity. That you really should try to resist the urge to just throw things on it. I mean how many places can you put "Shelby"?

Now having said all this cap #2 was created specifically for our car and the purchase, most of the time, is controlled. So THAT IS like it or not, the SAI defined cap for our car. I happen to like it!

Now what then are the benefits from and identity and branding perspective of this cap?

You can now purchase matching wheel caps, engine dress-up kit, headrest, arm rest, etc...all that keep and extend the identity throughout the car in a clean and non-kludgy way. Each of these items provide a unifying look and identity. Mixing and matching makes the car look cheap and something thrown together. I too like the brushed ring but that's not enough for me to break the unified theme that in totality is much more important.

That's just my opinion and your mileage my vary!

:shift:

I was resisting any parts with the cobra simply because that seems to be the emblem that most are now identifing with the GT500's. However I did break down and purchase the Faux cap specifically made for the Shelby GT. I will say that with some hesitation we added to our car and I think it looks great! I was very pleasantly surprised! Probably one of the least expensive things we have done that added a little something extra. I have several friends that have added your option 1 and I do like the brushed look of that piece. But now I like mine better and think it fits my car better.

Jill

Wow. Thanks for all the replies. Some good points here. Where are the CS fender emblems? I wish I could just buy a set of GT-150 grill emblems.

I suppose what it really boils down to is- are you against putting cobras on the SGT? I am not. After all, the Cobra IS Carroll Shelby's personal logo. To be honest, most of us would have cobras on our GT if only three little numbers were added- 350. That discussion isn't for this topic.

I am still deciding about this, so feel free to give me your opinions. I will admit that I am leaning away from OP 4 (too many 'Shelby' titles).

I went with the #2 option. I was a bit um..reluctant at first, but....it seemed to be fate...so I put it on and now...it just looks like it belongs...(which, of course, it does...)

If you go with the pt. 2, don't use pt. 4 , there will be too many shelbys.

couldn't agree more.....

:)

I bought the CS logo and it was better the the stock GT logo. However now I have the Tiffany Cobra and I absolutely love it and is what I want on MY SGT.

Wait. I thought OP 2 was the Tiffany (updated) design?

Thats the OP 1 emblem on your car... which looks great.

Wait. I thought OP 2 was the Tiffany (updated) design?

Thats the OP 1 emblem on your car... which looks great.

Both Cobra designs are originally from the late 1960's Shelby Mustangs. The S Cobra was used in the interior while the Tiff was both inside and out, depending on the year model. Both designs have been modernized somewhat, but they are both ~40 years old.

Both Cobra designs are originally from the late 1960's Shelby Mustangs. The S Cobra was used in the interior while the Tiff was both inside and out, depending on the year model. Both designs have been modernized somewhat, but they are both ~40 years old.

Tiffany cobra made its 1st appearance on the 67 Shelby Mustang steering wheel, wheel caps, grille, rear ducktail, rear gas cap, and fenders, while the S snake made its debut on the 69 steering wheel cap and door panels

You know I just realized that the Terlingua car doesn't have a rear gas cap emblem. Both the 1967 and 2008 cars don't have one, and I think it looks great. I suppose I'd have to run one of those trim panels.

Even the GT350R (oooooooooooooooohhhhhh he said GT350R?!), had a delete plate.

1967 Terlingua REAR

Teroldmustang10-1024.jpg

2008 Terlingua REAR

TerTrackShots-07-1024.jpg

1965 GT350R

A8.jpg

Berg? That's a strange name.

That is the nickname for the new emblem designed by Team Shelby member BergShelby who was behind the initiative to come up with a gas cap / tail emblem unique for the Shelby GT. A modernized version of the S Snake ("S" for Shelby) with the Shelby GT script was affectionately nicknamed the Berg Cap by many.

Alright. After thinking about this for far too long, and reading everyone's opinions (thanks to all)- the winner is.....

OPTION 3:

The CS overlay

I realized today that the brushed finish doesn't match the PBF emblems. The CS overlay wins. I suppose if the Berg Cobra didn't say 'Shelby GT' I would have chosen that one instead.

On a side note- RE: modifying the car- I am not going to change very much- I love my Shelby the way SAI designed it. I just don't like the factory GT emblems.

Alright. Well..... I actually have one of the Tiffany emblems and I went to see how it fit on the car. Well, I noticed that it doesn't really match the PBF fender emblems. So, unless I replace the PBF emblems with the Tiffany Cobra fender emblems- I'm not going to use the rear one. I know for a fact that if I dare remove the Powered By Ford emblems, I will get tons of grief for it.

So, if you just checked back from yesterday- the winner has changed. It is now OP 3- the CS overlay. I think it's the simplest route- without removing the emblem entirely (which I considered).

Archived