TEAM SHELBY FORUM

stereo removal

how do u remove the factory stereo what trim peices do u have to take off and how do they come off.. I have tried but cant figure this out... My stereo has a brand new cd stuck in it and it wont play it just says its intializing been doing that for over a week just going to throw it away and install a dvd-player...

how do u remove the factory stereo what trim peices do u have to take off and how do they come off.. I have tried but cant figure this out... My stereo has a brand new cd stuck in it and it wont play it just says its intializing been doing that for over a week just going to throw it away and install a dvd-player...

Did you take it to the dealer? The car is still under warranty and it shouldn't have any issues when a CD is inserted. I think it's covered under the 3/36. Even if you're going to pull it at least get a working unit to sell if you can. Then ask them to leave it out! :happy feet:

I little googling found this is a pretty common issue and is fixed if you're still under warranty.

Also found these tips:

My OEM in-dash Shaker 500 6 CD changer is on the way out, but I'm not ready to replace it yet (I still need a starter and ball joints first). If you are having problems with yours not reading cd's or not ejecting them here are a few tips I have discovered that help me:

-If your cd's are getting stuck when you eject you can:

1. Make a fist and gently "tap" the top of the dash above the radio to help "align" the cd player to eject (the force of the "tap" is something you have to discover for yourself).

2. Use a small flat blade screwdriver (like a jeweler's or slightly larger) and slide the screwdriver in the cd slot above the cd and GENTLY pry the cd down.

Either of these methods should eject your cd (the tap doesn't always work, but the screwdriver trick has never failed me).

-If the cd's aren't reading and you are getting an error instead of music:

1. Eject all of your cd's (see above if you have any problems) and then load them all again at the same time (I have found that ejecting and loading cd's individually seems to throw the cartridge alignment off a bit with age). If I load them all at the same time then it seems to be happier.

2. My end slots (1 and 6) seem to have the hardest time lining up (ends of the cartridge) so I only load 2-5. It may only be 4 cd's but it's better than 0 cd's.

Try taking the 20 amp fuse out under the hood.... put it back it... the Radio should go into start up mode.... it ejects the CD in start up mode... then see if it works.

Or do the ole slide another CD in and gently massage the stuck one into position.

Just thought I'd share these tips I discovered and hopefully help others who may be suffering the same dilemma.

I agree with Jeff, have the dealer fix it then upgrade if you still want to.

But to answer your question. IIRC you remove the center console (2 bolts) and then remove the L&R side pieces and finally the radio/hvac trim piece.

Again IIRC the two side pieces and the radio/hvac trim piece are held on with just clips so all you need to do is pull on them.

Steve

There was a thread somewhere in the Mustang Source Forum on this and basically;

-Pop off the shifter boot at the console and no need to get the knob off

-Get the couple screws out of the console so you can lift up the rear and over the shifter

-Pull the sides straight out from the radio sides at the dash

-Slowly lift up the console over the shifter letting the boot guide thru the console

-Remove the radio screws and connections at the back

-Pretty easy except one odd lock type connector at the radio back cause you can't really see it

I took my radio out and replaced it with a factory Nav unit, plug and play.

Thanks for the helpful info guys I guess I will take it to the ford house and see what they can do.. Just very aggrevating... Also I cant c the cd that is stuck in the unit when i get in my car I can hear the cd player going threw all the cd slots and when it get to the number 6 slot it just makes a awful noise... What does it mean when it says it initalizing??

Thanks for the helpful info guys I guess I will take it to the ford house and see what they can do.. Just very aggrevating... Also I cant c the cd that is stuck in the unit when i get in my car I can hear the cd player going threw all the cd slots and when it get to the number 6 slot it just makes a awful noise... What does it mean when it says it initalizing??

That's part of the start up routine and usually goes fast but it's sensing some issue and stopping there. It may actually not have anything to do with your CD! I wouldn't volunteer ANY information! I would just say..."look my radio stopped working" and let them fix it.

Good luck!

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremoval.htm

I think the $5 to $9 would be better spent towards a set of factory service manuals.

That website reminds me of the ebay sellers who run $25 auctions telling Ford owners where the keyless entry code sticker is located at on their car.

Below is a link to some PDF files for removing the radio.

Steve

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/466403-post3.html

I think the $5 to $9 would be better spent towards a set of factory service manuals.

That website reminds me of the ebay sellers who run $25 auctions telling Ford owners where the keyless entry code sticker is located at on their car.

Below is a link to some PDF files for removing the radio.

Steve

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/466403-post3.html

Thanks - I appreciate your comments, however, I have purchased instructions from this website for one of my other vehicles and they are very good and informative. So, I recommend them.

Archived