TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fender Stripes MrFarmdog Style!!!

mrfarmdog

Lots of people are putting on fender stripes but installing them can be a challenge with all the measurement for correct angles and spacing. I wanted an easier process for applying stripes since I wanted to be able to change them on the fly. Who knows, you may be at the track and someone else have the same stripes HA! I also view stripes as disposable so I can now carry several sets and decide what I want to put on at the track, and easily install them in minutes.

To accomplish this I created a pattern for the stripes and also incorporated markings that set the correct angle of the stripes without measurement. The stripes are 2 inches each with 1 inch space and they have alignment arrows to help with the install.

100_3912.JPG

To install all you have to do is center the stripes on the hood bumper in the fender, align the arrows with the top edge of the fender and apply. This sets the angle of the stripes so the stripes roll under the fender at top dead center.

100_3929.JPG

The ends of the stripes are rounded so the look professionally installed when your hood is up

100_3949.JPG

Here is the finished project! Now I have the flexibility to put what ever color stripes I want on my car at any time with minimal effort! So far I have tried out Torch Red and Yellow but I can also do Vista Blue Metallic, Satin Silver Metallic (like the Shelby GT stripes), Tungsten, Gloss Black, Flat Black, White. I can also could do other non standard colors like light blue metallic, and even purple (that is a joke - I would never put anything purple on my car!) I think this project turned out great!

100_3959.JPG

FYI

I had the idea to add the alignment marks to both ends of the decal so now I can choose to use the same decal on the passenger or drivers side! It can't get much more simple than that!

EDIT - My idea did not work the way I thought it would so I guess I will have to make drivers and passenger side stripes separately in order to keep the correct angle. Oh well...

I did finally modify my pattern so that one set of stripes can be used for driver or passenger side!!!

YEA!

I think it might be good to bring a big handful of these to shelbyfest...........I think a lot of folks would be interested.......John

....and I showed my wife your sm logos today (the smaller ones for the inside of the window)....she was very impressed by the detail and the fact that it is not just a printed decal........

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So what's the trick here?

I can't get these on without serious bubbling and wrinkling. Any tips?

Are you supposed to spray these with windex first? :headscratch:

Ken

Ken I will put a set on my car and post a how-to. Give me til tomorrow.

Archived