TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 Vert Discussion

I have read now that the Vert's didn't recieve any of the suspension changes of the 2010 coupes.

That probably explains why the Verts have 18's in place of the new 19's and most likely have the same tires as the 07-09's. The '10 coupes have tires that are very different apparently.

I am wondering if any chassis changes at all were applied? I do believe that they deleted the strut brace for the '10's, so that makes me think something else changed, but maybe they just decided they really didn't need it.

I have read now that the Vert's didn't recieve any of the suspension changes of the 2010 coupes.

That probably explains why the Verts have 18's in place of the new 19's and most likely have the same tires as the 07-09's. The '10 coupes have tires that are very different apparently.

I am wondering if any chassis changes at all were applied? I do believe that they deleted the strut brace for the '10's, so that makes me think something else changed, but maybe they just decided they really didn't need it.

http://jalopnik.com/5200474/2010-shelby-gt...nvertible-sucks

Yes, I've been wondering about this for some time now, and as someone who has ordered a red/silver 'vert just like the one pictured in this review, it does sour the excitement. It pisses me off that I'm paying $5k more for car that doesn't have some of the most important improvements Ford has been bragging about, dishonesty in marketing to say the least. I would still probably pick the 'vert knowing what I now know because top-down driving is that enjoyable to me, but still disappointed. Maybe the facts are still not all straight yet in these early reviews.

http://jalopnik.com/5200474/2010-shelby-gt...nvertible-sucks

Yes, I've been wondering about this for some time now, and as someone who has ordered a red/silver 'vert just like the one pictured in this review, it does sour the excitement. It pisses me off that I'm paying $5k more for car that doesn't have some of the most important improvements Ford has been bragging about, dishonesty in marketing to say the least. I would still probably pick the 'vert knowing what I now know because top-down driving is that enjoyable to me, but still disappointed. Maybe the facts are still not all straight yet in these early reviews.

I am a 'vert guy no matter what for a weekend fun car. I don't track it, so I don't care nearly as much about the ultimate handling limits as I do about cruising around with the top down on a hot summer night.

I am not sure if they are at the limits of the Vert chassis with the '07-'09 set-up, or if they simply too limited in budget to redo all the components for the 'vert's, too. Like you said, you pay a pretty big premium for the vert, and then to have Ford not do the upgrades is sort of patronizing to vert buyers.

I have an '08, so I wasn't in the market, but I have been trying to follow what exactly they were going to improve on, and based on the Jalopnik press, it looks like nothing with regard to the chassis. Like you said, maybe this press isn't correct. More time will tell...

In reading the shelby insert and the Ford website it looks like the vert did get everything the coupe did minus the new tires rims, and a slightly softer suspension to account for the fact it's missing the entire roof.

Could it just be that this wasn't enough for handling improvements when missing your roof? Let's be honest here, who is going to take a vert to the track? How many are actually taking a coupe to the track for that matter. Have to believe less than half of production will see track time.

If there is anything to be upset about it's a live rear axle, power seat for only the driver bottom (manual seat back), and the entire passenger's seat is manual with no heat. I don't buy the weight loss idea because BMW with the M3 and Chevy with the vette all have these features with the same speed. Besides if Ford was worried about weight they wouldn't throw sync and a navigation system in the car.

I am a 'vert guy no matter what for a weekend fun car. I don't track it, so I don't care nearly as much about the ultimate handling limits as I do about cruising around with the top down on a hot summer night.

I am not sure if they are at the limits of the Vert chassis with the '07-'09 set-up, or if they simply too limited in budget to redo all the components for the 'vert's, too. Like you said, you pay a pretty big premium for the vert, and then to have Ford not do the upgrades is sort of patronizing to vert buyers.

I have an '08, so I wasn't in the market, but I have been trying to follow what exactly they were going to improve on, and based on the Jalopnik press, it looks like nothing with regard to the chassis. Like you said, maybe this press isn't correct. More time will tell...

Im also more of a top down,just drive the car kind of guy.Ive read that both the vert and the coupe have been improved,just the vert not as much.Im not one who wants to break a rib evertime i hit a bump.Ive aslo ordered a red/silver vert,and really just thoroughtly enjoyed he pics.Did you notice though that in the first pic,the driver has the car in reverse trying to enevelope the whole car in smoke??Thanks for posting the pics.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting info, I registered so I may get some more info before placing my order for a convertible tomorrow.

I have read previously about how treacherous the suspension was on the older shelby vehicles but it is hard to believe that nothing has been changed on the 2010....................

Interesting info, I registered so I may get some more info before placing my order for a convertible tomorrow.

I have read previously about how treacherous the suspension was on the older shelby vehicles but it is hard to believe that nothing has been changed on the 2010....................

In 2006, when all the magazines reviewed the 2007 GT500 Vert's, they all talked about how this was the best, most solid Mustang vert ever built. Three years later it is the worst thing ever to hit the roadways.

This is extremely classic car magazine cycle for cars.

By 2012, when something new is on the way, they will write about what a piece of crap the 2010's were.

I am old enough to watch this magazine review technique for many cycles.

My car bounces around alot, but it is certainly not treacherous....

In 2006, when all the magazines reviewed the 2007 GT500 Vert's, they all talked about how this was the best, most solid Mustang vert ever built. Three years later it is the worst thing ever to hit the roadways.

This is extremely classic car magazine cycle for cars.

By 2012, when something new is on the way, they will write about what a piece of crap the 2010's were.

I am old enough to watch this magazine review technique for many cycles.

My car bounces around alot, but it is certainly not treacherous....

Im 64 and got to tell you, I have a 65 GTO ragtop, 4spd,etc,and if you want car thats difficult to drive,no power,bias tires, the new Mustang is a piece of cake.We had club day at Atlanta Speedway a few years ago and when we went into turn 2 at 100mph I thought my car would launch.So evreything is relative.I just love the feel and drive of the 2009 GT500, and Im not racing the car (why would you race a vert),Itll be great.In fact I like the softer ride of the vert--also dont like having my ribs broken during a bumpy ride.

This is good news then about you enjoying the ride of the 2009...................We do not intend to race the vert either. Occasional carving of mountain roads yes( we live there so cant avoid doing it :) .........The review on Jalopnik and others were of concern to me and my wife since they made it sound like hitting a bump at highway speeds will put you at risk........

I guess positive input and experiences from current owners is what we rely on.........

Archived