TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford destroyed the 2010 GT500

rice1680

Hi

First I own a 2009 GT500 I love the car. I went to the Denver auto show yesterday and got to see the 2010 GT and GT500 up close in person. The gt is different but I don't hate it. The 2010 GT500 I hate this car. If I didn't have 2009 already I would buy a Vett or Camaro before a 2010 GT500. First the new hood is ugly, it is bad. The worst part of the car is the rear end. What in the f*** were they thinking. The inside is great except for the suede inserts in the seats, on shifter and brake handle. The seats in the GT were great I don't know what they were thinking with the GT500. At least the finaly put heated seats and radio controls on the steering wheel. I know I will get some nasty responses to this. First I will say I like the car until I saw it in person. You can saw what you want but it looks totally different in person. Side note who picked the weird blue color and red stripes, really bad choice. They also had the SVT Raptor it looks like a mean off road truck. Options listed a 6.2L engine, didn't know Ford made one.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi

First I own a 2009 GT500 I love the car. I went to the Denver auto show yesterday and got to see the 2010 GT and GT500 up close in person. The gt is different but I don't hate it. The 2010 GT500 I hate this car. If I didn't have 2009 already I would buy a Vett or Camaro before a 2010 GT500. First the new hood is ugly, it is bad. The worst part of the car is the rear end. What in the f*** were they thinking. The inside is great except for the suede inserts in the seats, on shifter and brake handle. The seats in the GT were great I don't know what they were thinking with the GT500. At least the finaly put heated seats and radio controls on the steering wheel. I know I will get some nasty responses to this. First I will say I like the car until I saw it in person. You can saw what you want but it looks totally different in person. Side note who picked the weird blue color and red stripes, really bad choice. They also had the SVT Raptor it looks like a mean off road truck. Options listed a 6.2L engine, didn't know Ford made one.

As they say, to each his own. I saw the GT500 at the auto show in Detroit in January. Like it a lot! I own a 2008 GT500 coupe which is currently being Super Snaked at SAI. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

If the economy doesn't go any further in the dumper and finances allow for it, I'm very serious about picking up a 2010 GT500 vert. It's different on the exterior and that's what I personally like about it. I found the interior to be impressive. Just not sure where they plan on putting the dash plaque though.

Just my opinion and certainly wouldn't expect you to change yours based on mine. Just know I'll be grinning from ear to ear when I pull one onto the lift in my garage for the first time!

Hi

Easy there cowboy. Better performance, better handling, cool interior, along with some cool adjustments to front end and fenders. Yes, the rear end is kinda freaky but, hey, some people like freaky rear ends. Ohhh yeah!

I think it's kinda interesting that you focused on the heated seats and the radio controls on the steering wheel and not the core of what Shelby began in the early 60's, which was horsepower and handling. So, RICE, if you want heated seats and radio controls on your steering wheel, check out the Infinity or some other nice imports, they all gots them there fancy switches and dials. If, however, your into the bloodlines of "Shelby", the new design definately has some positives and a few interesting lines, but at the core of it all, it is a good representation of what Shelby is about.

Long live Shelby.

QSS

Since I will have my 2007 Shelby GT FOREVER, I will enjoy reading these dicussions over the years!

Personally, though, I'm most interested in seeing what the next generation Mustang will be like in 2014(?). I sure hope it's not another attempt at a "Probe", however.

As they say, to each his own. I saw the GT500 at the auto show in Detroit in January. Like it a lot! I own a 2008 GT500 coupe which is currently being Super Snaked at SAI. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

If the economy doesn't go any further in the dumper and finances allow for it, I'm very serious about picking up a 2010 GT500 vert. It's different on the exterior and that's what I personally like about it. I found the interior to be impressive. Just not sure where they plan on putting the dash plaque though.

Just my opinion and certainly wouldn't expect you to change yours based on mine. Just know I'll be grinning from ear to ear when I pull one onto the lift in my garage for the first time!

+1. I also saw the car in Detroit and liked what I saw. Not crazy about the rear end but other than that, I'm fine with the changes to the exterior. The interior is great, much better than the one in the Camaro that was also at the show.

I have been looking at pictures of the 2010 shelby and reading articles trying to convince myself to sell my 09 shelby and buy a 2010. It hasn't worked yet. Sure the handling, performance and the interior is better in the 09, but what ford did to the exterior of the car doesn't look good at all. The way I see it I can order the upgraded interior from the shelby store and I can purchase a complete griggs suspension and upgrade my supercharger and have a killer car that will handle and look better than any 2010 shelby.

Since I will have my 2007 Shelby GT FOREVER, I will enjoy reading these dicussions over the years!

Personally, though, I'm most interested in seeing what the next generation Mustang will be like in 2014(?). I sure hope it's not another attempt at a "Probe", however.

That's my fear as well!

:banghead:

Yeah, I actually agree with the looks...I dont much care for it either....the grabber blue isnt for me, but it is a "historical pedigree" color that has history in racing. The bells and whistles are nice, but only thrown in for convenience points. The real special part of the new 2010 is the handling and power that you cant see sitting on the showroom. For me the problem there lies in the older body style looks great and looks fast just sitting on the showroom. I feel like I got the body style that suits me best. But there are other people with different tastes, and the old body style has run its course. If you compare a '67 to a '69, it is the same thing...people usually like one more than the other. There is no doubt you are entitled to your opinion, and I happen to agree....but you cant flame Ford for throwing a car out there that goes in a different direction than Dodge or GM with the challenger and camaro. I think those two cars look so similar, and at least Ford had the balls to put something different out there. IMHO- 2005-09 may be the best looking body style ever, and yes older body styles were around for much longer than 4 years, but that makes ours that much better years down the road.

+1000.

I'll stick with my 07. It resembles very much my 69 Mach when they are parked side by side. I have seen the new 2010 in person and it looks a bit Camryish in the rear. The 2011 will be the best bet of this style if they go with the rumored aluminum block imho but I would never sell my 07 for it :)

BTW, didn't Carroll pick out the Grabber Blue with Red stripes as the color for the first 2010 made?

I have to agree about the diffuser/lower valence/bumper but I think they did a nice job on the rest of the car. Paint it body color I think it would be less offensive. Its just a lot of black plastic. I dont mind the red and blue color scheme, though it really reminds me of Richard Petty because those are his colors...probably better suited to a mopar than a Ford IMHO.

All that said, I think the current body style is going to be considered the most desirable in the future. Ford just nailed it, the first time I saw one it looked so right...and it still does.

If they come with an aluminum block in 2011 I might get me another but I dont think I'll ever be able to part with my 07.

KC666

:rockon:

I have to agree about the diffuser/lower valence/bumper but I think they did a nice job on the rest of the car. Paint it body color I think it would be less offensive. Its just a lot of black plastic. I dont mind the red and blue color scheme, though it really reminds me of Richard Petty because those are his colors...probably better suited to a mopar than a Ford IMHO.

All that said, I think the current body style is going to be considered the most desirable in the future. Ford just nailed it, the first time I saw one it looked so right...and it still does.

If they come with an aluminum block in 2011 I might get me another but I dont think I'll ever be able to part with my 07.

KC666

:rockon:

I was just talking about this with another member the other day... both agreed that the current body style is heads up over the 2010, but still both agreed that the performance of the 2010 is worth it. It also doesn't look like the 2010 is going to be selling for all that much more, so I'd say it's good value. Can't help but feel short-changed performance wise. In a way, though, the 2010 is kind of sealing the deal for the '07-'09 style. No more produced makes them that more special!!

So, 2010 looks - fail... performance - solid pass!!

Wonder what they'll look like 40 years down the road...

I like it. So much that I ordered one. Grabber Blue with white stripes too. I like the prev year too, but like the overall like the 2010 better. I could have bought a leftover 2009 or a Challenger for less money, but like the improvements on the 2010. To each their own.

I like it. So much that I ordered one. Grabber Blue with white stripes too. I like the prev year too, but like the overall like the 2010 better. I could have bought a leftover 2009 or a Challenger for less money, but like the improvements on the 2010. To each their own.

When do you expect delivery? I hated the 1987 and 2004 style, but then they grew on me. So I will have to see one inperson first. I think the car is nice, with the exception of the rear end.

I said this was my opinion. I like the front of the car it is the hood that throws it off, the big chunk of black plastic across the front. As far as performance who cares I not going to leave mine stock so the few extra horses from the factory really doesn't matter. Handling there are aftermarket suspesions that will destroy whatever ford has done to the 2010, griggs for starters. Like I said I'm not leaving mine stock. I will agree it looks a little like the camaro. When I talked about the radio controls and heated seats I guess I should have explained it better. The GT500 is Ford's flagship performance car. My buddy has a 07 highly modified California special. It has heated seats and oh yea the d*** rocker panels back are painted to match the car. So ford car go the extra mile for a California special but no a GT500. I have heated seats(i live in Colorado) and radio controls on my F-150 it is a freaking truck people, but not on my GT500. One other thing the at the auto show the GT was mint, the GT500 had the passenger door handle missing and black tape over it what the F***. The seats in the 2010 GT look better in my opion than the GT500 no they are not suede with matching stripes, but I thought we were in this for the racing pedigree not frills like suede and matching stripes.. The only reason i bought the GT500 is the engine I like the looks but except for the hood it looks like a regular mustang. My 2009 is in the shop having a full suspesion change as we speak. Within a month a KB stage 3 will be ordered. Anybody with a stock 2010 that wants go road racing or to a drag strip call me and will see how good the performance and handling of a stock 2010 really is.

I as far as what ford for does with performance and handling. The KR is a prime example. Yes I know it is more limited than the GT500. Anyone here telling me the could't spend the extra 27 to 30K and have a better handling, looking and more powerful car than the KR. Super Snake upgrade comes to mind, about he same price. An aluminum block would be a great improvemant but the 2010 doesn't have it.

In the fall from what I'm told. There is no production date yet, but they do have my order. I understand from TASCA Ford that they are having issues with the knock sensors. Not sure if this is speculation.

Can anyone else confirm that current orders are now not being filled until the fall? If so, that seals the deal for me to wait until 2010 for the 2011 as driving in the MN winter with a GT500 is useless.

Can anyone else confirm that current orders are now not being filled until the fall? If so, that seals the deal for me to wait until 2010 for the 2011 as driving in the MN winter with a GT500 is useless.

I received a call from my dealer on Monday saying that my GT500 order was in and that it had a May build schedule date and should expect delivery at the end of June or first week of July.

I said this was my opinion. I like the front of the car it is the hood that throws it off, the big chunk of black plastic across the front. As far as performance who cares I not going to leave mine stock so the few extra horses from the factory really doesn't matter. Handling there are aftermarket suspesions that will destroy whatever ford has done to the 2010, griggs for starters. Like I said I'm not leaving mine stock. I will agree it looks a little like the camaro. When I talked about the radio controls and heated seats I guess I should have explained it better. The GT500 is Ford's flagship performance car. My buddy has a 07 highly modified California special. It has heated seats and oh yea the d*** rocker panels back are painted to match the car. So ford car go the extra mile for a California special but no a GT500. I have heated seats(i live in Colorado) and radio controls on my F-150 it is a freaking truck people, but not on my GT500. One other thing the at the auto show the GT was mint, the GT500 had the passenger door handle missing and black tape over it what the F***. The seats in the 2010 GT look better in my opion than the GT500 no they are not suede with matching stripes, but I thought we were in this for the racing pedigree not frills like suede and matching stripes.. The only reason i bought the GT500 is the engine I like the looks but except for the hood it looks like a regular mustang. My 2009 is in the shop having a full suspesion change as we speak. Within a month a KB stage 3 will be ordered. Anybody with a stock 2010 that wants go road racing or to a drag strip call me and will see how good the performance and handling of a stock 2010 really is.

I agree about the seats but other than that the 2010 all the way for me. To each his own.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to contact my dealer today. Maybe something changed since I ordered it.

Also, I wouldn't wait 'till 2011. I'm not sure with the polictal pressures and economy if this is going to be 1970 all over again and end sooner than it re-began. Maybe the erea of 500+ hp cars will be over soon. I don't see how Ford can make and warantee big HP cars and the bean counters may put the cabash on this business model.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to contact my dealer today. Maybe something changed since I ordered it.

Also, I wouldn't wait 'till 2011. I'm not sure with the polictal pressures and economy if this is going to be 1970 all over again and end sooner than it re-began. Maybe the erea of 500+ hp cars will be over soon. I don't see how Ford can make and warantee big HP cars and the bean counters may put the cabash on this business model.

Hard to say but I would take it into consideration, I guess. I don't think that we'll have issues with the GT500 seeing that it's in production. On the flipside, GM put a hold on the Z28 quick fast and in a hurry. I think that if the economy turns back to all fuel economy, that it's not going to come out :-( By that I mean, it would seem that if it's truly the end of the V8's, and car manufacturers are forced to produce vehicles that meet certain EPA demands, that there may never BE a return this time... Who knows, another 40 years down the road the GT500 may be flying around in the air...

:unsure:

Archived