TEAM SHELBY FORUM

First Road Tests!!!!

Myersusaf

OOOOOH Sweeet!!!

After reading up on the real tests it really does seem that they've refined the car quite a bit. I wasn't too much fun of just the looks, both interior and out... but after the actual reviews on performance... it's starting to grow on me!!

Glad to see that the GT500 is actually getting some decent press, too! not that it has all been bad...

According to chief engineer Jamal Hameedi, the 1.9L TVS could have done the job perhaps a bit more efficiently than this 2.3L traditional (three-lobe rotor) design, but it would've cost more and wouldn't have appealed to the loyal SVT fan base as much. These guys like to tune their cars and the bigger blower responds better to overspeed pulleys and the like.

Huh? :headscratch:

Here is another one from Car and Driver. I'm surprised with their numbers which are not quicker than the '07-'09 despite the added power.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_li..._take_road_test

My guess is that since they decided to use knock sensors, they are gaining the power by advancing the ignition as much as possible without detonation. With the right fuel and outside air temps, it probably hits 540HP as advertised. When the outside air temp increases, or the fuel is less than perfect, the knock sensons step in and become the party police.

I suppose it is even possible that given some conditions, the '07-'09's would actually make more power???

Here is another one from Car and Driver. I'm surprised with their numbers which are not quicker than the '07-'09 despite the added power.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_li..._take_road_test

In the Jalopnik article they mentioned that "Experienced Racers were able to into the 12.3's " I am guessing Evan Smith with MMFF. I would bet in awesome conditions, we are lookng at 12'0's, possibly some 11.9's with a cool day, sticky track and negative DA.

My guess is that since they decided to use knock sensors, they are gaining the power by advancing the ignition as much as possible without detonation. With the right fuel and outside air temps, it probably hits 540HP as advertised. When the outside air temp increases, or the fuel is less than perfect, the knock sensons step in and become the party police.

I suppose it is even possible that given some conditions, the '07-'09's would actually make more power???

So for those of us with the FRPP CAI and tune on our 07-09's, do we have to worry about detonation? What about those with some of the more aggressive tunes? Why would Ford engineer the "old" 07-09 FRPP tune w/o knock sensors and in 2010 add knock sensors?

So for those of us with the FRPP CAI and tune on our 07-09's, do we have to worry about detonation? What about those with some of the more aggressive tunes? Why would Ford engineer the "old" 07-09 FRPP tune w/o knock sensors and in 2010 add knock sensors?

No kidding. Then again why would they basically make last year's KR this year's GT500? Part of the package I guess...

Fellas, I'd give up on trying to guess why it is Ford does a lot of things. It's never fair or makes sense. I think it's safe to say the KR is only a sensible purchase now if you want the KR name plate. Looks like the '10 suprases it in performance and interior quality.

As for tuning, looks like the '10 knock sensors will help cut out the risk made by leaning out the previous model. Also, got to imagine the same rules apply to the current model as the previous model. Under ideal air and fuel conditions, it produces 500 flywheel HP, less under less that ideal air and fuel conditions.

I ordered my 2010 and look forward to it. I'm jumping out of my shorts in anticipation! No way a SS Camaro will keep up as C&D states. The GT500 kills the Camero in looks too.

It sounds like C&D never even test drove the GT500 and just based it off the tests on previous models. I think that the Edmunds review is dead on.

Jim

lol... Edmonds

That's not only a useful margin over the '07 car with its 500-hp powertrain, which did the deed in 12.8 seconds at 112.6 mph, but it also makes the Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Challenger look like weak-ass sissies.

My guess would be that the agressive tune without knock sensors carries more risk than a 2010 with knock sensors looking for the knock and dialing it back if it sees it. My thought would be that for 1000 units in the KR's they took the "risk", but for the full run of production, they decided the knock sensors were a safer way to do it. I am only guessing, but why else include knock sensors?

The '07-'09 is still probably pretty safe, but they must have decided that with a 5yr, 60K powertrain warranty, the added cost of the knock sensors was worth it to the bean counters for the 2010's.

My guess would be that the agressive tune without knock sensors carries more risk than a 2010 with knock sensors looking for the knock and dialing it back if it sees it. My thought would be that for 1000 units in the KR's they took the "risk", but for the full run of production, they decided the knock sensors were a safer way to do it. I am only guessing, but why else include knock sensors?

The '07-'09 is still probably pretty safe, but they must have decided that with a 5yr, 60K powertrain warranty, the added cost of the knock sensors was worth it to the bean counters for the 2010's.

Good points. I thought of another one, for the times when one puts in the incorrect gas....

The comments section of the Jalopnik article has the funniest quote I've ever seen regarding these cars:

"This car is like a pet midget. I don't anticipate buying one, but if someone gave one to me, I'd have as much fun as I could before the police came and took it away."

:hysterical:

I apologize, I should have said something to you guys.

I was there when the 2010 GT500s and 1 2010 GT arrived at Infineon Raceway on Saturday for the media event on Tuesday/Wednesday of last week. There were 20 or GT500 coupes and a few convertibles.

I had a GR40ST there and the Ford guys were all over it, checking out the suspension of course. It was quite a compliment.

Grabber Blue looks AWESOME in person. My new favorite color by far.

The tail is still growing on me, but it does look better in person.

Colin Sebern

Griggs Racing

Very cool write up, thank you for sharing!

I especially like the part they wrote about: "At speed, the car is stable all the way. We wrote yesterday that the car is 50% more stable than the previous model. That was incorrect: the car is 50% better than the GT500KR; it is 75% better than the previous GT500." :shift:

I hope someday someone soon will do a side-by-side comparison test :lurk:

another positive review; all the reviews seem to agree that the handling has been much improved :yup:

http://www.speedsportlife.com/2009/04/06/2...as-furio-angry/

"We covered many of the differences in our 2010 Mustang GT test, but the Shelby is, in fact, more heavily revamped than the normally aspirated models. Not only does it benefit from all of the “regular” changes, there’s far more differentiation between it and the cooking GT than there was in the previous model"

another positive review; all the reviews seem to agree that the handling has been much improved :yup:

http://www.speedsportlife.com/2009/04/06/2...as-furio-angry/

"We covered many of the differences in our 2010 Mustang GT test, but the Shelby is, in fact, more heavily revamped than the normally aspirated models. Not only does it benefit from all of the “regular” changes, there’s far more differentiation between it and the cooking GT than there was in the previous model"

Another Good write up.

After seeing the 3 sitting next too each other in pic.....Kona Blue all the way! :shift:

Archived