TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GTH The Legend Returns

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I recall GTH owners were to get a book. Did you hear anything about that?

I don't recall hearing that we were to get a book being that we are owners of a GTH. I have 2 books on order though and I am looking forward to

receiving my copies!!!!!!!!

i seen that they had a book. when you guys get yours in post comments. i will probably break down and purchase. anyone have an extra copy of the mph or mustang monthly. those two slipped away from me. i have not seen any listings on e-bay lately.

• 2 weeks later...

A complimentary book was written for the GTS series as well.

I am excited and will probably buy a copy, but even by today's standards $60 is pretty steep for a paperback. By the way, who is/are the author(s?), and how many pages are there, and is there any info on the size of the book?

I am waiting to hear if the book addressess some of these issues/mysteries:

- were truly only 500 built?

- are there any gaps in CSM numbers as historically has been the case with other models?

- exactly how many have been built with manual transmissions; where are they?

- have any unregistered no mileage examples been preserved?

- what really are the details on the small group that was built exclusively for sale to select dealers/Hertz franchises? What are the CSM numbers for this group? Why weren't individual SAI invoices prepared for each car in this group as was done for the other vehicles? Were Sirius systems installed in this group? Someone once mentioned that Hertz installed a tracking system....were these installed in this group?

- Is there a listing by CSM# as to where all cars were distributed?

- there were some variations noted in which some convertibles did not receive all of the suspension modifications?...true?, why?

I'm not trying to pick this apart but hopefully the book is comprehensive enough to address these questions. I'm confident my fellow forum members have some unanswered questions of their own.........

• 2 weeks later...

Received my book yesterday. I'm a bit disappointed as I was hoping for some more info and anwers to some of the questions above. However there are many great pictures of the construction, etc. There's also copies of original e-mails between Hertz and Amy about the deal. So it is a must have for a Hertz owner, but was hoping for a bit more in the info area. I guess just about all the other info is already out there in all the various books and magazines I have.

I just got my book today and agree with Jeff's comments as well. I think the e-mails and the initial GT-H drawings were the most interesting parts of the book for me. Many of the pictures I had seen before on SAI's site.

Not one to complain but.....

I was disappointed as well. Aside from the few emails, its a picture book. I would have thought this would have been a great opportunity to discuss and explain the development.

There were photo errors, like the GTH convertible prototype trunk plate with the coupe series of pictures and the coupe 20th anniversary trunk plate in the convertible section.

If you want to see some of the photos from the SAI site in book form, along with LOTS of photos of all the guys who made the cars, then this is the book for you.

I know this sounds negative, but even my wife said "you're disappointed, aren't you?".

I realize SAI is busy with production and development, but they are really missing out on an entirely under exploited market..... us.

Most of us have desired these cars for a long time. We have (for the most part) the income to support this habit/obsession. We have very little in the way of branded items we can call our own. I'm not just talking about the "H" cars either. I'm really tired of searching Ebay everyday for a nugget or crumb of an item that I can add to my collection. I am not going to buy or wear a GT500 shirt, jacket, coasters or whatever! Nothing personal to the GT500 guys, but that's not my car. I have the Shelby GT. I appreciate the efforts of Robert and Sharon (the new Shelby store is a great start) but I am at the point of giving up on any "items" for my group. I know we been promised before, but there seems to be a real disconnect with the end product. Robert and Sharon are busy with other things. Forming a merchandising department would better address the demand. Tell me we as a group aren't pent up with demand?

We are a fiercely loyal group (it only took us how many years to realize our dream?) and would eagerly purchase items that were relevant to our product line. Sorry if this rant was too long, but getting that book (at that price!) and the lack of polish on it was the defining moment. We and SAI are missing out on the opportunity of a lifetime.

• 4 months later...
Not one to complain but.....

I was disappointed as well. Aside from the few emails, its a picture book. I would have thought this would have been a great opportunity to discuss and explain the development.

There were photo errors, like the GTH convertible prototype trunk plate with the coupe series of pictures and the coupe 20th anniversary trunk plate in the convertible section.

If you want to see some of the photos from the SAI site in book form, along with LOTS of photos of all the guys who made the cars, then this is the book for you.

I know this sounds negative, but even my wife said "you're disappointed, aren't you?".

I realize SAI is busy with production and development, but they are really missing out on an entirely under exploited market..... us.

Most of us have desired these cars for a long time. We have (for the most part) the income to support this habit/obsession. We have very little in the way of branded items we can call our own. I'm not just talking about the "H" cars either. I'm really tired of searching Ebay everyday for a nugget or crumb of an item that I can add to my collection. I am not going to buy or wear a GT500 shirt, jacket, coasters or whatever! Nothing personal to the GT500 guys, but that's not my car. I have the Shelby GT. I appreciate the efforts of Robert and Sharon (the new Shelby store is a great start) but I am at the point of giving up on any "items" for my group. I know we been promised before, but there seems to be a real disconnect with the end product. Robert and Sharon are busy with other things. Forming a merchandising department would better address the demand. Tell me we as a group aren't pent up with demand?

We are a fiercely loyal group (it only took us how many years to realize our dream?) and would eagerly purchase items that were relevant to our product line. Sorry if this rant was too long, but getting that book (at that price!) and the lack of polish on it was the defining moment. We and SAI are missing out on the opportunity of a lifetime.

+1

But I do like whats been done so far and like all or most of us GT-H owners we would like more.

• 1 month later...

I'm personally not too disappointed in the "Return of a Legend" for one reason. It seems my GT-H #0387 is featured in several photos while undergoing the conversion process. The first photo is the page following an image of the undercarriage of a GT-H on a lift showing the front suspension and exhaust modifications. You have to use a magnifying glass to make out 0387 written on the driver’s side of the windshield along with other information. The second and more visible picture is 7 pages later. This one clearly shows my car in the assembly line along with 8 other cars. You can read some of the writing on the windshield which shows the CSM# 0387 along with additional information. The other writing states PDI done, 1198, Do Not Start, and something regarding the Rear End. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Has anyone else been able to identify their GT-H in a photo? There are several other photos which clearly show the CSM numbers written on the windshields. I can make out #0396 completed and waiting to be transported, #0379 though a little hard to tell being loaded on to a transport trailer, and a few others.

At what point in the assembly process did SAI assign the CSM# and what is the other 4 digit number written on the windshield? Could this other 4 digit number be work order #? What does PDI done indicate?

Bryan

PDI = Pre Delivery Inspection.

Have you've looked for any signatures on your GTH?

Steve

I haven't looked under the car for signatures. Any Idea where to look?

I assumed that PDI was as you stated but wanted to be sure.

I sent Bud an email to confirm the CSM# on the windshield and also asked what the other information ment.

Bryan

Here is the response from regarding my questions. He confirms my assumption regarding the information on the windshield!

Hi Bryan,

Very good eye you got there!!!!!!! If you go to www.shelbyautos.com and click on the gallery link. Then scroll down to the 2006GTH photos, you will see more of the cars in the shop. And you may find more pics of your car. The 1198 I believe was a shipment order. The 0387 IS the CSM# that car is getting (very nice history for your car ) and PDI stands for Pre Delivery Inspection. This means that it passed the pre-delivery inspection. The DO NOT START means just that—Do Not Start LOL The cold air intake may have already been installed, but the tune has not yet. We could install the cold air intake, but can not start the vehicle until the tune is installed. Hopefully that helps you out.

Thank you,

Bud

Bryan

I haven't looked under the car for signatures. Any Idea where to look?

Most cars I've seen the place to look is what I call the frame rails underneath the car. Since its a unibody car the words frame rail are probably incorrect but you'll know what I'm talking about when you get underneath the car.

Steve

Most cars I've seen the place to look is what I call the frame rails underneath the car. Since its a unibody car the words frame rail are probably incorrect but you'll know what I'm talking about when you get underneath the car.

Steve

Next time I'm under the car to change the oil I'll look.

Bryan

• 1 year later...

Has anyone bought the new book from the Shelby Store, "GTH The Legend Returns"?

[Tried but was sold out, and not getting anymore

Wolfie

aw man. that sucks i am such a procrastinator. and world worst speller lol. i meant to get one next time i won't wait. :doh:

Yes, bought one some time ago. Mostly pictures of the program with some emails between Shelby, Ford and Hertz. Was able to get Ms. Boylan, G. Davis & G. Patterson to sign at the last Bash. Some time hope to get Mr. Shelby to sign.

I think a GT-H owner must have book. Will be bringing to this years Bash just in case.

Yes the Hertz and the SGT books are sold out / discontinued.

Steve

I think this one of many GT-H items that one they have sold the inventory they have are going to be discontinued, great item to have lots of interesting photos.

Archived