TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dealer Tech steals sway bar and ?????

So here's the story:

I have a '08 Shelby GT convertible (5 speed) with @ 3000 miles on the clock. About a month ago I took it to the local dealer where I bought it (who shall remain anonymous at this point) for an oil & filter change and to check a rattle on the Hurst shifter and a squeak in the rear suspension. For some reason (???) it took two days for them to look over the car and figure out what the problem was. The service agent told me that I needed a new shifter and some Shelby suspension components (apparently they discovered the stock parts wouldn't fit) to fix the problem under warranty. They ordered the parts and I took the car home. However, I discovered that they had overfilled the oil sump. Since I was tied up with business and couldn't easily reach the oil drain plug without a lift, ramp, jackstands, etc., I let the car sit in my garage until I had time to deal with it. This turns out to be a good thing that I'm not driving it for the past month.

Fast forward to this week: Dealer service agent calls me and tells me the shifter and rear suspension parts are finally in from Shelby. I inform him of the overfilled oil sump and tell him that needs to be remedied. I drop the car off in the afternoon and am told it should be ready the next day.

The next day, I get a call from the service agent who tells me that my rear sway bar is "missing" from my vehicle, at which point I go ballistic. The service agent assures me that the sway bar was probably "lost" when my car was in for service a month earlier. Service agent agrees to have the sway bar overnighted from Shelby at their expense to be installed the next day (today). For good measure, today I call the owner of the dealership and ask him to check on this personally to make sure all the parts get put on my car. Owner admits to me that they recently fired the tech who had worked on my car previously for theft. I ask him to personally make sure that no other parts have been removed from my car by the thief/tech.

I get the car back today after the owner of the dealership assures me that he has inspected the car from under a lift and that it is in "showroom condition" condition with no missing parts. I pick up the car, check the oil level, and of course, its still overfilled!!!! However, at least the car is locked safely in my garage. Looks like there is in fact a new blue colored, beefy sway bar in the rear, but I have no idea what other parts might have been "lifted" from it. So far the rattle in the shifter and the squeak in the rear suspension are gone, but for all I know, the thief/tech swapped the Shelby poly bushings that supposedly squeak a bit anyway for stock bushings.

Even though the dealer seems to be cooperating at this point, I have zero confidence in them. We've all heard stories about how thieves would rent the old Hertz Shelby GTs and swap out the Shelby motors and performance parts and return the cars to Hertz with run of the mill engines, etc. so I am reasonably paranoid. There's the Shelby suspension, Baer brakes, motor and transmission, third member, X pipe and god knows what else, but I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between those parts and stock Ford parts by looking at them. Looks like the Ford racing air intake is intact. Unfortunately, there aren't many Shelby GTs around for me to compare my car to. I may need to get this car on a lift and take pictures to show to someone in the know who can tell me if the Shelby parts are still intact.

Any pointers on what to look for in the way of Shelby parts "lifted" from my car would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Your SGT came with Baer brakes? Did you buy it used? The SGT does not come equipped with upgraded brakes.

As for Shelby specific parts:

FRPP CAI

FRPP sway bars

FRPP springs/dampers

Hurst shifter

CSM plaque (dash and engine bay),

FRPP strut tower brace

Powered by Ford badges

stripes/decals/lettering

hood pins

hood scoop

18" chrome wheels

Ford side scoops

Shelby floor mats

Shelby x-pipe

mufflers

3:55 gears

I'm probably missing something, but that's definitely a good portion of it.

Since some components of your FRPP suspension were just replaced by an incompetent dealer, it's not a far cry to assume that they could make the honest mistake of forgetting about the sway bar. If it's theft, that's a bummer, but at least you got a new one. The stock bushings are black by the way and the poly bushings are red/orange. A quick peek under the car will tell you whether they're correct. Good luck.

Ken

Wow, that's a shame. I worry about stuff like this whenever I go to my dealer, but so far, so good.

The only thing I can think of to add to the above list are the Shelby GT door sills.

Your SGT came with Baer brakes? Did you buy it used? The SGT does not come equipped with upgraded brakes.

As for Shelby specific parts:

FRPP CAI

FRPP sway bars

FRPP springs/dampers

Hurst shifter

CSM plaque (dash and engine bay),

FRPP strut tower brace

Powered by Ford badges

stripes/decals/lettering

hood pins

hood scoop

18" chrome wheels

Ford side scoops

Shelby floor mats

Shelby x-pipe

mufflers

3:55 gears

I'm probably missing something, but that's definitely a good portion of it.

Since some components of your FRPP suspension were just replaced by an incompetent dealer, it's not a far cry to assume that they could make the honest mistake of forgetting about the sway bar. If it's theft, that's a bummer, but at least you got a new one. The stock bushings are black by the way and the poly bushings are red/orange. A quick peek under the car will tell you whether they're correct. Good luck.

Ken

Guess you're right about the Baer brakes. I don't see them listed on the price stickers I pulled off when I bought it. For some reason, I had it in my head that the Shelby GTs came with upgraded brakes.

i hear your pain ML,

I was recently on vacation at a spa in florida w/ the wife and we called in the week earlier to set up our spa services and they requested a credit card # to reserve our appts. Then yesterday we get a call from american express that our card was attempted too be use to buy computers,ipod and other things from the internet.Nothing went thru,however just like you we were more than pissed about the attempted fraud. So hang in there,because in this day and age we will all have to deal with LOSERS trying to rip us off ; like our government in Washington. :hysterical:

Scotty

Sounds to me as if the dealer's stepped up nicely here and taken care of things. I think you're lucky to have the owner so focused and on top of things and dedicated to making sure all is made right. Oh, and they fixed the original issues! :hysterical: There are a lot of dealers that would never have been up front with you about the issue with the employee and never mentioned the sway bar. These people seem upfront and honest so I'm not sure what your issue is with them now.

We had a guy at a dealership near there that was taking car keys out during lunch and getting copies made. Then he'd give the keys to kids with the car's address to steal later. There are thief's everywhere and here you have a dealer that's been truthful and worked to get the issues fixed at their expense no questions asked. That's rare!

Personally, I'd have a great deal of confidence in them, and recommend them, except the kids that change the oil maybe!

:hysterical:

Unfortunately not everyone can be watched all the time. Fortunately the dealer stepped up and seems to be doing you right. When I had stuff stolen out of my Jeep by dealership employees I was told by the dealership management that "it's not there problem and to file it on my insurance". Reports to the BBB and letters to the upper dealership management and owner warranted nothing. BTW it's Randall Noe in Terrell TX if anyone is wondering.

Anyway, get you car on a rack and take pics. Post them up and let the Shelby guru's (read - "Shelby nuts" :drool: ) here go over them and see if anything is askew.

Sounds to me as if the dealer's stepped up nicely here and taken care of things. I think you're lucky to have the owner so focused and on top of things and dedicated to making sure all is made right. Oh, and they fixed the original issues! :hysterical: There are a lot of dealers that would never have been up front with you about the issue with the employee and never mentioned the sway bar. These people seem upfront and honest so I'm not sure what your issue is with them now.

We had a guy at a dealership near there that was taking car keys out during lunch and getting copies made. Then he'd give the keys to kids with the car's address to steal later. There are thief's everywhere and here you have a dealer that's been truthful and worked to get the issues fixed at their expense no questions asked. That's rare!

Personally, I'd have a great deal of confidence in them, and recommend them, except the kids that change the oil maybe!

I agree completely. You're fortunate the owner was willing to do that for you. Don't hold it against the dealership because of one bad apple. My .02 cents

The dealer stepping up to the plate is encouraging, although it still boils my blood to think of somebody stealing parts off my car, especially the Shelby upgrades. Not sure if the thief was prosecuted, but hope the word gets out so he's not hired by anyone else.

I still feel like I need to stand in the repair bay and supervise even the simplest maintenance job, which is aggravating.

The dealer stepping up to the plate is encouraging, although it still boils my blood to think of somebody stealing parts off my car, especially the Shelby upgrades. Not sure if the thief was prosecuted, but hope the word gets out so he's not hired by anyone else.

I still feel like I need to stand in the repair bay and supervise even the simplest maintenance job, which is aggravating.

I can understand your being upset. I had my car a Lexus SC400 stolen using keys made by that guy at the Lexus dealership. Of course this was back in 1994 so back then keys were cheap to make. Now with these micro chips etc., it's not as easy and cheap on the more expensive cars. But this guy had a quite a racket going with people from different dealerships also providing him keys. Would drive around the dealerships, pick up keys at lunch time, and drop them off later in the day.

There are dishonest people everywhere...like the waiter that copies your credit card info, to this guy, it's more about what the company does in response that matters to me.

Good luck!

The sway bar was replaced, does it have the billet links as well? also, to add to the factory parts list above, don't forget the light bar, front and rear fascias and grille.

Yes, from what I can see without the car being on a lift, it appears to have the billet links and the red poly bushings. I can't remember if the original sway bar on the car was blue, but as long as the correct parts are installed, it doesn't matter.

It looks like all the cosmetic Shelby parts were left on the car. Those would have been a dead giveaway of theft when I picked up the car.

The only thing I'm concerned about are Shelby mechanical parts that were swiped that I can not easily see or recognize -- especially that might create a dangerous condition.

The car seems to drive ok, although I'll probably take it back to the dealer to (finally) remedy the overfilled sump and have them put it up on a hoist and check off all the Shelby parts. Bloody PITA, though. :rant2:

Yes, from what I can see without the car being on a lift, it appears to have the billet links and the red poly bushings. I can't remember if the original sway bar on the car was blue, but as long as the correct parts are installed, it doesn't matter.

It looks like all the cosmetic Shelby parts were left on the car. Those would have been a dead giveaway of theft when I picked up the car.

The only thing I'm concerned about are Shelby mechanical parts that were swiped that I can not easily see or recognize -- especially that might create a dangerous condition.

The car seems to drive ok, although I'll probably take it back to the dealer to (finally) remedy the overfilled sump and have them put it up on a hoist and check off all the Shelby parts. Bloody PITA, though. :rant2:

He COULD have made off with your entire car. I'd be happy you still have it at least. =)

Archived