TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Low Level Format

I didn't see a general discussion area so I'm posting this here. If this is not allowed here then please accept my apologies and moderator just delete it.

I have a laptop with Vista and a Western Digital HDD. I want to wipe it and reload XP. How do I do and/or what do I need to do a low level format.

Umm.. Interesting topic for this board. First off, you need to go to the manufacturer of the laptop and see if you can even get XP drivers for it. If not, you are stuck with Vista until 7 is released. If drivers are available, there is an option to format the drive during the install of XP. Low level formatting is not needed, nor recommended, on drives anymore.

I have a love hate relationship with Vista. I lived in the XP world until I needed to switch over just to learn it and become comfortable with getting around in it. I have played around with the Windows 7 beta and absolutely love it. I will be in line when it is released to pick up my copy and upgrade off of Vista.

I recently upgraded my work computer to a new "work station" with dual processors, dual hard disks, dual monitors, etc. The first thing that I did was "down grade" the operating system to xp. The problem with windows is that by the time microsoft finally gets the bugs out of a version, they upgrade it to a new, crappy, bug-ridden, "upgraded" version. Microsoft insists on back ward hardware compatibility with hardware that my not have been produced for years. The reason being that even if someone hasn't upgraded to a new computer, they could, theoretically, upgrade their operating system. The irony is that most new window sales are with new computers where back wards compatibility is not an issue. :wacko:

My oldest son is studying art and 3D animation to work in that industry. His dream job would be to work for Pixar. He and several of his college buddies went to a trade show down in San Diego summer before last. They all had matching tee shirts that read "Friends do not let friends use Vista". Apparently the art community is very pro Apple. The shirts were a big hit. :poke:

I recently upgraded my work computer to a new "work station" with dual processors, dual hard disks, dual monitors, etc. The first thing that I did was "down grade" the operating system to xp. The problem with windows is that by the time microsoft finally gets the bugs out of a version, they upgrade it to a new, crappy, bug-ridden, "upgraded" version. Microsoft insists on back ward hardware compatibility with hardware that my not have been produced for years. The reason being that even if someone hasn't upgraded to a new computer, they could, theoretically, upgrade their operating system. The irony is that most new window sales are with new computers where back wards compatibility is not an issue. :wacko:

My oldest son is studying art and 3D animation to work in that industry. His dream job would be to work for Pixar. He and several of his college buddies went to a trade show down in San Diego summer before last. They all had matching tee shirts that read "Friends do not let friends use Vista". Apparently the art community is very pro Apple. The shirts were a big hit. :poke:

PIXAR is so Cool. I watched a Documentary on TV they other Day about Pixar and how the Company was Formed. That would be an awesome Place to Work. I wish your Son the best of luck in fulfilling His Dream on working there.

So should i just reload Vista and wait for Windows 7?

What is wrong with the system now? The only issue to reloading is that you need to make sure you have your product key. And if you do, you are only allowed so many activations before you need to call MS for a new activation key. Not a big deal if you legally own the OS, just a pain to have to call them.

Should you opt to reload Vista, it too has an option to format the drive. When it asks you what drive to install on, there is an Advanced button. Click that and you will see the Format button. (Whoo hoo.... I knew some day running and learning Vista would pay off.)

Maybe I would wait for Windows 7, which will also be a lot of work, but you're going to do it anyway. Of course I have no idea what hardware you are running etc.

Of you could just sell the whole thing and buy a Mac and not worry about it! I have XP on my Mac and Apple provides all the drivers for it and Vista if you want to run that. While I have XP I haven't had a need to run it in a long time so I there it would help to know what you use your laptop for.

Archived