TEAM SHELBY FORUM

CAI

vbalouzian

Get the CAI you like the looks of, then pick your tuner. I picked the JLT because I love the Carbon Fiber look with the VMP tune, Justin Is local for me. Most tuners can email you a solid tune you can load with a hand held tuner. Find a local dyno or a Dyno Day car show and verify the tune.

I witnessed a dyno pull of 599 rwhp w/ steeda 2.6, cai and sct tune. 3rd pull the same just to verify because no one believed it.

I have TVS so I'm running w/ frpp cai

Were these your #'s (with TVS) or a pull on a car with stage III and stock S/C? Those are incredible #'s. What dyno were they on? I got 600 RWHP on stage III but I also did lower pulley/harmonic balancer. Almost to much boost for the stock S/C. I am probably going to do the TVS when my toy money account gets well again.

I think that there are several tunes out there that seem to deliver what they promised.

but I have a question; how much should a tune take into consideration with geographical location, (north, south west coast etc....) and local air and temp conditions?

it seems tunes realy do well in colder and dryer climates.

am I really going off the edge with this thinking?

I think all the CAI's are way over priced . All the vendors are gouging the "Shelby" owners. None of them are worth more than $200 at best.JMHO. Anyway, I went with a used Steeda I got for $100.00. Bought a new filter for $50.00. Steeda ought to be ashamed for the #ucked up vent setup on thier CIA. I made it look factory with a $3.00 fitting from the harware store and a Ford tube. I have a tune comming from the guy who wrote SCT"S software. I was gonna tune my self with the SCT pro racer software, but after talking with him decided just to let him tune it. Hope to have the 2.6 pulley and idler installed this week. I'll put the tune and CAI in at the same time. If all is in by the end of this week I'll have it dyno'ed on Saturday and post the results

I think all the CAI's are way over priced . All the vendors are gouging the "Shelby" owners. None of them are worth more than $200 at best.JMHO. Anyway, I went with a used Steeda I got for $100.00. Bought a new filter for $50.00. Steeda ought to be ashamed for the #ucked up vent setup on thier CIA. I made it look factory with a $3.00 fitting from the harware store and a Ford tube. I have a tune comming from the guy who wrote SCT"S software. I was gonna tune my self with the SCT pro racer software, but after talking with him decided just to let him tune it. Hope to have the 2.6 pulley and idler installed this week. I'll put the tune and CAI in at the same time. If all is in by the end of this week I'll have it dyno'ed on Saturday and post the results
The Shelby owners are now in the same boat as Vette owners. Vette owners call the gouging and price markups "the vette tax." It is crazy how much the pricing is on some simple parts.

Jay,

Since I live in Kalifornia, I need CARB approved after market parts. Is your CAI CARB approved? If not, are there plans to get it approved? I'd like to buy it but don't want the smog nazis on my back come smog check time.

Thanks, FIA Mike

Jay,

Since I live in Kalifornia, I need CARB approved after market parts. Is your CAI CARB approved? If not, are there plans to get it approved? I'd like to buy it but don't want the smog nazis on my back come smog check time.

Thanks, FIA Mike

Sorry Mike,

No CARB and no plans at the moment.

Jay

It's kinda like asking which playmate of the month is better. July or December....? Some of us have tried a few different months... or CAIs. Just stay away from K&N.

July or December? this decision just gets harder and harder... :hysterical::drool:

:idea: A tough for us Kalifornians

would it be possible for me to purchase the ford FRPP CAI and put in a Lund tune in there and also ad a new SC pulley.

The FRPP would have the CARB sticker, thus passing the visual inspection for the smog test.

I personally like the FRPP look and if its all in the Tune why not just get the tune from MVP or J. Lund or Evo. What do you guys think? :idea:

:idea: A tough for us Kalifornians

would it be possible for me to purchase the ford FRPP CAI and put in a Lund tune in there and also ad a new SC pulley.

The FRPP would have the CARB sticker, thus passing the visual inspection for the smog test.

I personally like the FRPP look and if its all in the Tune why not just get the tune from MVP or J. Lund or Evo. What do you guys think? :idea:

The stage 2 pulley and tensioner should be obvious to any smog inspector. You can buy the TVS blower which is CARB legal or you can buy the FRPP CAI with tune which is CARB legal and then add an aftermarket tune which will really wake up the FRPP CAI, and you can reload the pro-cal tune prior to each smog test.

Adding a stage 2 setup is a roll of the dice in Kalifornia.

The stage 2 pulley and tensioner should be obvious to any smog inspector. You can buy the TVS blower which is CARB legal or you can buy the FRPP CAI with tune which is CARB legal and then add an aftermarket tune which will really wake up the FRPP CAI, and you can reload the pro-cal tune prior to each smog test.

Adding a stage 2 setup is a roll of the dice in Kalifornia.

do you think smog testers can tell the difference between the OEM pulley and aftermarket pulley.

But I do like your Idea.

do they sell the FRPP CAI just by itself with no tune.?

Finaly pulled the triger on JLT CAI, with a custome tune which my mod shop will install(their own) , they have a dyno at the shop and he showed my a GT500 with 5 pulls and the #'s were above 500 at crank. (CAI and tune);

I am a little hesitent about the tune but he also has a GT500 and he assured me he would not do anything to my car that he would not do on his.

he will also be installing a new FRPP suspension kit.

For some reasone my rear end feels lighter. :headscratch:

(must be the whole lota DO-RE-ME I parted with

Steeda stuff is no good for this car, my Steeda stuff found it's way to the scrap yard, all of it CAI and suspension all around.

CAI- sucks air on the GT500 causing surging at high speed or high wind - not normal.

Suspension, rattles, sounds like dishes in the trunk, I haven't met anyone that wasn't from Steeda that liked it.

I have 30,000+ miles on my car and know it pretty well, the best money I've spent was on the Griggs suspension GR40SS, it absolutely kills everything you see in front of you. Totally in control, absolutely brings a safe feeling to your car, like a fifth wheel underneath (as they will tell you) well it's true. My only regret was that I didn't know about Griggs first.

DO THE SUSPENSION FIRST - IF YOU DON'T YOU WILL HAVE UNSAFE HORSEPOWER.

Next on your to do list should then be the JLT CAI, pulley, tensioner and CUSTOM tune, do not take your car to any hack that will load a so-called canned tune.

My car is now what it should have been from the factory.

Good luck.

Steeda stuff is no good for this car, my Steeda stuff found it's way to the scrap yard, all of it CAI and suspension all around.

CAI- sucks air on the GT500 causing surging at high speed or high wind - not normal.

Suspension, rattles, sounds like dishes in the trunk, I haven't met anyone that wasn't from Steeda that liked it.

I have 30,000+ miles on my car and know it pretty well, the best money I've spent was on the Griggs suspension GR40SS, it absolutely kills everything you see in front of you. Totally in control, absolutely brings a safe feeling to your car, like a fifth wheel underneath (as they will tell you) well it's true. My only regret was that I didn't know about Griggs first.

DO THE SUSPENSION FIRST - IF YOU DON'T YOU WILL HAVE UNSAFE HORSEPOWER.

Next on your to do list should then be the JLT CAI, pulley, tensioner and CUSTOM tune, do not take your car to any hack that will load a so-called canned tune.

My car is now what it should have been from the factory.

Good luck.

Thanks

I did exactly that, however I went with FRPP suspension upgrade, and JLT CAI and customer in house tune, this is the only roll of the dice, the tuner has a GT500 and seems knowledgeable and he convinced my that the tune he does is not out of a can he said hr typicly does 4-5 tweeks to the tune to get it right and he has a Dyno in the shop.

I was thinking fie SPP short throw shifter and D/S next.

Jay,

Thanks, FIA Mike

Or a LEO looking under your hood during a traffic stop.

JLT is not CARB approved.

FRPP comes with a sticker. I went the FRPP intake route with a custom dyno tune, it provided great results.

BTW, JLT's 'dyno results' show that they spin the motors past the FACTORY REDLINE in order to infalte their dyno numbers. :finger:

Archived