TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT Wheel and Tire Thread!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
American Racing Shelby Series Torq-thrust, chrome. BFGoodrich KDW's 255/45R18 - Front & 285/40R18 - Rear.

These look great though I pefer the stock wheels. If I am ever to change this is deffinately the route I would take. Yours look great.

AFS Wheels has an 18x9" (40mm offset) Bullitt wheel that clears the GT500 front brakes. The caliper to spoke clearance is about 3mm which is the minimum recommended by Brembo. They aren't deep dish and they use the older style center caps so the 07/08 center caps won't fit.

I have a set with polished finish but I don't have any pictures of them on my car right now. Here is an eBay auction for a staggered set with black centers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-BULLITT-...sQ5fAccessories

MAN!!

After seeing this thread I've made up my mind that "Phase II" of my modification addiction is going to be an upgrade to the 'exterior sound system' (MAC Performance "MMS Custom" axel back) and Wheels!!

CS40's 20x9 in front and 2x10 in back. . . . . .

Opinions on correct tire sizes?? 255/35R20 up front. . . . . 275/35R20 in the back? or should I go up to the 285/30R20's ????

I was sorta leaning toward the 275s.

Trevor

AFS Wheels has an 18x9" (40mm offset) Bullitt wheel that clears the GT500 front brakes. The caliper to spoke clearance is about 3mm which is the minimum recommended by Brembo. They aren't deep dish and they use the older style center caps so the 07/08 center caps won't fit.

I have a set with polished finish but I don't have any pictures of them on my car right now. Here is an eBay auction for a staggered set with black centers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-BULLITT-...sQ5fAccessories

Does your SGT have the take-off SGT500 brakes?

post-9205-1238556358_thumb.jpg

post-9205-1238556358_thumb.jpg

(Not A Shelby Department; imagine the stripe is lower, or avert your eyes, if you need to)

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 275-35 front and rear on Saleen Parnelli Jones Edition 19x9/10, powder-coated black:

2373177188_e8d9796313.jpg

3102875977_c631f6045a_o.jpg

3102876035_3265ced167_o.jpg

(EDIT: I "LOVE" these, but will go to stock GT500 18x9.5 all corners when the right deal comes along ... )

They are the same as take-off SGT500 brakes. I bought new GT500 calipers and rotors from a Ford dealer.

428CJ,

Please post photos of the car with the new wheels and describe the SGT ability to slow down using the SGT500 calipers and new rotors.

Other than the original center cap not fitting the custom wheel, and the outer lip on the custom wheel, what is the difference in the stock SGT wheel compared to the custom wheel?

post-9205-1238641491_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

twrench

post-9205-1238641491_thumb.jpg

428CJ,

Please post photos of the car with the new wheels and describe the SGT ability to slow down using the SGT500 calipers and new rotors.

Other than the original center cap not fitting the custom wheel, and the outer lip on the custom wheel, what is the difference in the stock SGT wheel compared to the custom wheel?

Thanks,

twrench

Sorry but I haven't taken any pictures yet and my track day wheels and tires are on the car right now.

The stock wheels have fairly straight spokes while the AFS wheels have a curve that you may be able to see in the eBay pictures. They are 1/2" wider (9" vs 8.5" stock) and the offset is different. The stock wheels have 50mm offset and the AFS are 40mm. This moves the wheel towards the outside which gives more brake caliper clearance and reduces the gap between the fendor lip and the tire.

I never pushed the car with the stock brakes so I can't compare them to the GT500 brakes. At a drivers school last month my instructor drove the car for a few laps and said it had great brakes.

(Not A Shelby Department; imagine the stripe is lower, or avert your eyes, if you need to)

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 275-35 front and rear on Saleen Parnelli Jones Edition 19x9/10, powder-coated black:

2373177188_e8d9796313.jpg

3102875977_c631f6045a_o.jpg

3102876035_3265ced167_o.jpg

(EDIT: I "LOVE" these, but will go to stock GT500 18x9.5 all corners when the right deal comes along ... )

I have been drawn to the idea of 19s. The size is a nice aesthetic compromise between the 18s and 20s. Coincidentally I seriously considered the wheels that you have . What do you love about them and why would you go to the GT500 18s? Your views of pros and cons to the 19s? Appreciate any advice you have on the subject.

Thanks,

Jim

20x9-255/35 front 20x10-275/35 rear

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg

DSC_0215.jpg

Your wheels look great. One of the few 20s that don't look too large. Maybe it's the anthracite. What are they and where did you get them? Will they clear any of the "big brake" packages?

Thanks,

Jim

For those who have the 20'' wheels (Razors to be specific) what's the deal with a "hub centric" part that some are talking about and also do you have to re-calibrate/ alignment after install of wheels and do you feel any vibrations compared to the 18'' inch stockers, I know the 20'' will be stiff but what about vibrations.

Thanks

I have been drawn to the idea of 19s. The size is a nice aesthetic compromise between the 18s and 20s. Coincidentally I seriously considered the wheels that you have . What do you love about them and why would you go to the GT500 18s? Your views of pros and cons to the 19s? Appreciate any advice you have on the subject.

Thanks,

Jim

I "love" the 19-inch size for one of the reasons you mention: aesthetically the right size in dark wheels, which I prefer. Principally I "love" them because they perform well, and because they look good, resemble Minilites from the Golden Age (for me) of American racing, and they are a very limited edition.

I'd go to the GT500 18x9.5 for reasons of all-around usefulness and comfort. And economy. The 19-inch tires are lower profile and offer fewer choices, and are much more expensive, in the brand I got (Michelin). Today I see offers to sell the GT500 takeoff sets of four wheels and Goodyear tires for about two-thirds of what the Michelins cost. I'd like to have the inch-wider rims that, from my limited experience driving GT400s, seem to work well without a major decrement in ride quality, which is increasingly important to my old bones.

I don't "need" the minor increments in performance, and the major added caché of the PJ wheels and Pilot Sport tires as much as I did a couple of years ago. Hate to make the sacrifice, but priorities change.

Big, dark wheels "look" the same or similar size to smaller, bright wheels. If there were an 18x9.5 "Minilite-inspired" wheel in white (like the original PJ Trans Am Mustang), that'd be ideal, my view.

Thanks,

Jim

I "love" the 19-inch size for one of the reasons you mention: aesthetically the right size in dark wheels, which I prefer. Principally I "love" them because they perform well, and because they look good, resemble Minilites from the Golden Age (for me) of American racing, and they are a very limited edition.

I'd go to the GT500 18x9.5 for reasons of all-around usefulness and comfort. And economy. The 19-inch tires are lower profile and offer fewer choices, and are much more expensive, in the brand I got (Michelin). Today I see offers to sell the GT500 takeoff sets of four wheels and Goodyear tires for about two-thirds of what the Michelins cost. I'd like to have the inch-wider rims that, from my limited experience driving GT400s, seem to work well without a major decrement in ride quality, which is increasingly important to my old bones.

I don't "need" the minor increments in performance, and the major added caché of the PJ wheels and Pilot Sport tires as much as I did a couple of years ago. Hate to make the sacrifice, but priorities change.

Big, dark wheels "look" the same or similar size to smaller, bright wheels. If there were an 18x9.5 "Minilite-inspired" wheel in white (like the original PJ Trans Am Mustang), that'd be ideal, my view.

Nice idea!! I dig greasers as well...

These would have been my choice as well if it weren't for the razors. Love those wheels greaser!

Your wheels look great. One of the few 20s that don't look too large. Maybe it's the anthracite. What are they and where did you get them? Will they clear any of the "big brake" packages?

Thanks,

Jim

thanks guys i am really happy with the look of the rims on the car. jplanders i would assume that they would fit the big brake packages because there seems to be plenty of room now but i have not tried any myself so i cant say for sure. if you would like me to check some clearences just let me know. i got the rims from here but i paid a bit more darn it lol http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/20-Gunmetal...sQ5fAccessories

Evey day shoes

255x35x20 nitto razor 20x9

305x35x20 nitto dr razor 20x11

CIMG2856.jpg

Business shoes

27.5x4.4x15 mt holestar 4x15

28x10.5x15 mt et drag holestar 10x15

holeshotwheels033.jpg

Louie that picture of your car with the drag radials is going on my wall...man that looks sweet!!!!

As for your street rubber do the 305's give you any rubbing issues...those fill up the wheelwell nicely and I bet help with the wheelspin? Thanks!

Archived