TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Your first shelby, or latest in a long line?

matyellott

Guys, curious to know if your current Shelby is your first or if any of you are seasoned enough to have owned/driven the original generation. If so how does this car compare to those early offerings? Also when did you know you "had" to have a gt500? For me personally, I first saw the car during my last year of grad school for my MBA, I actually did my final thesis on the excellent marketing and design concepts of the 2004 mustang, during this research I stumbled across the early pics of the gt500, while I have driven mustangs my whole life this one was the first one I “needed” to own someday, the first one that was a real goal to work towards. And as with so very few things in life, owning it is far better the wanting it for years!!!

There's been a few other cars carrying Shelby's name, between the "origional" and the current GT500. I had a then new '89 Shelby Daytona. Was a decent enough car at the time, and I enjoyed it for the time I owned it.

Understood about the Shelbys in between now and then, but given the direct styling cues of the older cars that influence the current generation, and the fact that it is such a massively popular car, and that I have never gotten close to an original Shelby, I wanted to know if anyone had the automotive history to make a comparison.

I didn't drive it but my uncle had a beautiful 1968 red GT-500 that he would give me rides in. I remember looking at the speedo one time and seeing it read 125mph as we ran down the highway! I always loved that car and had to get one someday. Now I have my 2008 and my uncle wishes he still had his. :cry: I'll give him rides now. :)

My '07 GT500 is my third shelby mustang. Back in the 70's I owned a 69 GT500 and I had a 67 GT500 for about 10 years that I sold in 2001 or 2002. While my passion for them is the same, they are totally different cars. There's a feeling driving a vintage shelby that you don't get with the new cars, the smell of gasoline oil and exhaust, the feeling of being on the edge while driving hard and actually having to DRIVE the car. The new generation is far and above the better car, both performance-wise and in fit and finish but it lacks that feeling I used to get driving my vintage ones. In a perfect world I'd have both.

My 08 is the first I've owned but back in 1976 I had the privilege to work on my bosses 66 gt350 along w/several others that started a long love affair with the performance and history of these cars.

I had a 70 GT 350 when I was 18 years old. Sold it in 1976 due to finacial issues. As I got older and started to make more money, but the cost of the old ones went up faster than I hoped and I also did not want a project car. So when I first saw the 2007 GT 500, I was excited because it was a Shelby I could afford and I have a three car garage to keep it protected. Got a 2008 GT 500 and I love it.

The guy who now owns my old 1970 just retored it. We are going to take some pictures with both Shelbys soon. I have some old records and photos to give to him as a surprise.

Both are equally fun to drive and turn heads all the time. I think the 1970 Shelby may have drew a little more attention because back then, they were a more rare and people did not get a chance to see them on the internet or on the 200 plus cable channels we have today. I agree with d ford's assessment of the ride comparision. I also miss the sound and feel of a four barrel kicking in. The super charger sound if cool to but different.

I saw my first Shelby at a car show at Six Flags when I was 16 years old. The cool-looking scoops, Cobra emblems, rectangular tail lights, and the SHELBY name across the rear spoiler got me, and I bought and read every book I could find. I graduated from college in 1984, saved my money, and bought a 1966 GT350H for $9000. I really wanted a 65 but didn't want to fly out to San Francisco to get the one I wanted (doh!). Anyway got married a few years later and sold it (another doh!). Bided my time until I bought an 06 GT convertible, then the Shelbys came out and I knew I had to have one. Got my 09 Vert last August.

Difference is night and day, acceleration and comfort are much better in the 2009 and I think it has the edge on handling and braking, too. But the 1966 was a "real" car to drive....competition brakes you had to really mash down on, stiff almost buck-board ride, competition seat belts, great solid lifter "sewing machine" sound. While an awesome machine and a real piece of history, in all honesty the 09 is a lot more fun to cruise in.

Perfect world, I'd find another early GT350 and have both....

I recently ordered a 2010 GT500 and it will be my first. My first brand new car was a 1987 Grand National. I almost bought a GT back then, but the GN posted quicker times and they were both the same price ($13,800). I also almost traded the GN for a Shelby Daytona, but backed out last minute. My first Ford was a 90LX 5.0 and I really liked that car, but sold it for practicality. It was bone stock and my best time was 14.7. All of these cars were my daily drivers and the north east winters took a toll on them all, so I never kept anything more than a couple/few years.

I can now afford to have a garage queen and the 2010 GT500 will be that, so I wont have to worry about sand blasts and salt. I can't wait for Ford to build mine! Grabber Blue with no added options.

I never had the chance to get a shelby from the sixties,always wanted one.My first car sport car was a used 1972 -Z-28 350 -4 bolt main, then a new 1979 TA 6.6 ws-6, then a new 1985 ford gt sedan 5.0 holley 4 barrell,then a new 1990 lx coupe 5.0 then a house, kids, .After 18 years I was able to get my first shelby ,2008 gt500.Best of the bunch by far. The TA is #2.

My '07 GT500 is my first Shelby, but second Mustang (first was an '06 GT vert). I confess I didn't know much about Carroll Shelby's legacy or his close ties to the Mustang story until my old boss bought his '07 GT500 in February 2007. I studied, read, Googled, blogged, and obsessed over them for months and finally bought my own in August 2007.

I have to confess, though - I bought this car as much for the SVT badge as I did for the Shelby heritage. The more I read about SVT's history and ethos, the more impressed I was. Now, of course, after having immersed myself in Team Shelby and learning more about the classic '60s Shelbys, I'm glad for both badges.

Hopefully there will be other Shelbys in our future...and other SVT vehicles, too! (My wife wants a Raptor!!)

My '07 GT500 is my first Shelby, but second Mustang (first was an '06 GT vert). I confess I didn't know much about Carroll Shelby's legacy or his close ties to the Mustang story until my old boss bought his '07 GT500 in February 2007. I studied, read, Googled, blogged, and obsessed over them for months and finally bought my own in August 2007.

I have to confess, though - I bought this car as much for the SVT badge as I did for the Shelby heritage. The more I read about SVT's history and ethos, the more impressed I was. Now, of course, after having immersed myself in Team Shelby and learning more about the classic '60s Shelbys, I'm glad for both badges.

Hopefully there will be other Shelbys in our future...and other SVT vehicles, too! (My wife wants a Raptor!!)

Man!!! some really great stories in here. My first car was a 94 red mustang LX, with a tape deck and not much else. That car got totaled when a cop car plowed into the back end during a high speed chase (I was not the one being chased) in Kansas. My second one was a 96 black LX, traded that one in after 10 years of daily driving and got a 2006 gt, Vista Blue with white shelby stripes, supercharged and modded the hell out of that car, last november i got my gt500, when i first saw one in 2007 I was in love. I hope to pull the trigger on a 65 convert soon!!.

I'm a Chevy guy. My first ride was a 66 El Camino that I owned for about 15yrs. It needed a major overhaul and I didn't have the time/$$ for it, so I sold. My Grandmother owned a 69 327 Camaro that was going to be mine, but one night out with friends, we couldn't fit into the El, the passanger freaked out and took the steering wheel out of my hand and I lost control and totaled the car. Was very bummed about that. Was looking to get another 69 and was close to getting this SS 350 and the guy sold it from under me, so while searching, saw the Shelby at the LA Autoshow. I first just walked by it, but then I heard a commotion going on and they had started the sell of the car, and when I heard about the 500 ponnies, I knew this was my car and that I wanted the first model run. I waited for the mark-ups to come down and found a car, a White w/Blue striped one and I went with the wife and she didn't like the color :banghead:

Then the sales guy said that he had a Blue w/White and a Black w/Tungsten coming and we went on line to look at the colors and my wife picked the Blue one. It showed up and was ready on my B-Day :happy feet:

I'm still after my Camaro though :mail:

Guys, curious to know if your current Shelby is your first or if any of you are seasoned enough to have owned/driven the original generation. If so how does this car compare to those early offerings? Also when did you know you "had" to have a gt500? For me personally, I first saw the car during my last year of grad school for my MBA, I actually did my final thesis on the excellent marketing and design concepts of the 2004 mustang, during this research I stumbled across the early pics of the gt500, while I have driven mustangs my whole life this one was the first one I “needed” to own someday, the first one that was a real goal to work towards. And as with so very few things in life, owning it is far better the wanting it for years!!!

My second in 1.5 years (see signature).

Before that:

1989 Mustang GT (25th anniversary)

1995 Mustang GT

2000 Mustang GT

2003 Mustang GT

1968 Mustang J-code fastback

I bleed blue...

Archived