TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A Fifth Chrysler 16v 2.2 Head?

Ok we all know about the four 16v heads for the Chrysler 2.2 engine:

- The Lotus Head used in the Spirit & Daytona RT cars.

- The Maserati 16v Head used in the Maserati TC

- The Shelby Hans Herman Head used on Carroll's #001 GLHS Omni

- The Cosworth Head used on the PPG aka "The Wraith" car

so then what is this 16v 2.2 head :headscratch:

16v_Chrysler_Head.JPG

16v_Chrysler_Head.JPG

I dunno, tell us, please, I'm sufferin over here.

At first glance I thought it was a Hans Herman without the top 'deck' on it. But the valve angle is too sharp/canted... Hmm, a phrase does come to mind looking at the pic though. "Somewhere in a small secret test facility, an evil scientist..." :lol:

Alan

What's the difference between the Cosworth and the Hans Herman heads?

Whats the difference between a Cosworth Maserati head and a Wraith Cosworth head? Cooling in the same spot and the Masi injests through exhaust ports.......

Sorry guys but I was hoping that Stoked would know what 16v head it is. Like Stoked I kept staring at the canted valves and got more confused.

I found the pic in a 1984 Chrysler Shareholders Report. The caption next to the pic reads:

New engine designs and extensive development work will increase the reliability, economy and power of Chrysler's 2.2 liter engine.

Perhaps this was a NON-turbo 16v head that never made it to production?

Steve

I'm going back to my gut reaction on the pic, IMO it's a Hans Herman with the top deck off. Its assembled in layers ya know ;)

AJ

Yeah I'm a little familiar with the HH head ;)

Stoked I think you are correct. There are some minor differences in the machine work but the overall casting looks to be the same.

The HH heads were cast in 1984 and this Chrysler shareholders book had to be published in 1985 as it is using 1984 production figures. I'll grab one of the HH heads out of storage this weekend and take a few pics for a 100% verification.

Steve

Miss DC aged well, she posed last year with my 2.4L :D

Miss_DC_2008_x.jpg

Whats a matter Stoked, you stumped on this one?

Maybe I need to post on the TC forums.

Steve

Looks to me like someone slipped in a Shelby name plate on top of the Cosworth designation (which can be seen on the other side).

My guess is that it is a Cosworth Vega cylinder head. Circa 1975/1976

I wanted one of those cars so bad back in the day!

Looks to me like someone slipped in a Shelby name plate on top of the Cosworth designation (which can be seen on the other side).

My guess is that it is a Cosworth Vega cylinder head. Circa 1975/1976

I wanted one of those cars so bad back in the day!

I know that engine compartment and that VC.....only good Vega they made....LOL!!!! :hysterical:

Didn't pop up under 'veiw new posts' for me like threads often don't :( Sure I could go and *search* for threads but the TC Masi convention is just 2 weekends away and I am swapping turbos, and replacing some leather, and ...

Obviously ya'll know about Cosworths' association/involvement with the TC Maserati four valve heads, thing I've wondered for a few years is on the bottom of two piece SOHC intakes (and other parts as well) it clearly says "CosCast" embossed right in. Same company? Subsidiary? Also, plinking around on Cosworth's website these days, they not only make superb castings for multiple engine manufactureres, they'll build you a whole motor if you'd like :wub: Some sweet hardware from those guys...

Alan

The guy in the Vega engine bay has an OP (Ocean Pacific) shirt on :lol: Man I lusted after those things in 1980/8th grade when my family was too poor for the high end name brand clothes :nonono:

The guy in the Vega engine bay has an OP (Ocean Pacific) shirt on :lol: Man I lusted after those things in 1980/8th grade when my family was too poor for the high end name brand clothes :nonono:

Well now that your bringing in your own paper, you can now run down to your local WalMart, and dress out in the finest OP gear again.....

Now that's totally awesome to the max dude... :dance:

• 8 months later...

Is it possible for somebody like myself, A hobbyist to acquire such a head for my 89 2.2 Daytona Shelby?

Most likely not. As others have observed, it sure looks like a HH head, especially comparing it to other pictures I have, and others seen here. The location of intake manifold bolts, thermostat housing, and PCV/oil drainback in the right rear sure looks about the same. Lots of angle on the valves, though. Looks like enough to require rocker arms, rather than buckets.

Archived