TEAM SHELBY FORUM

07SGT0471, Trip to SAI for the Whipple 550 S/C KIT!!!!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just an FYI.........Randy's hair did not look like that before he took his first ride :)

Great meeting you and your dad Randy, glad you made it home safely.

Roger

Roger, It really was my pleasure...I am grateful to have met you in person as well! Thanks for showing us your car, amazing!! Your right about the car I got on it hard a few times today...haha silly fun! Really hope to see you, Bud and the crew again... Also thanks for the regestry work I knew it was insane but had no idea...I appreciated the insight!

Your Pops is hilarious!!!

Beyond, trust me... :hysterical:

It was cool to have him along as he digs cars, and has had quite a few...he is becoming a real Shelby fan...

and the cool part is he is about 10 minutes from LVMS and SAI now....very cool!

So today I got on it hard...up a hill after a Porsche 911 attempted to give me the shake off...all I can say is Chip was right, this dang car is quick. Too bad there was a chunk of traffic ahead as we were going into a favorite turn and the guy seemed like he was into it as well. What are the odds, first day I decided to kind of give it some throttle and 911 guy sees me coming up quick and decides to nail it I did the same and he was not getting away. Would have liked to dust him after the turn but traffic and my clean record prevailed in my head....

Car reminds me of the new superbikes...amazing manners until you want to go fast and then that is really not a problem.

If you are on the fence on this..DO IT!!! SWEDE where are ya man??

Dang car is quiet and now almost a sleeper...seriously. The stock tires and brakes are not a deal killer. I was amazed at how well stock rubber actually does, but I am not going totally nutso either, I think more rubber would be cool. These tires are wearing quickly now. On the dyno video you can see the rear tire geting some slip on the rollers and a puff of smoke coming from them, cool.

It can get squirrelly quick...but the same manners are there...a very controllable and predictible chassis. I cannot tell the difference without the strut brace as of yet, and the additional weight on the nose is not noticed either. The power is very linear and awesome!! That gets all your attention... :hysterical: I cannot wait to autocross the car again, I am also really glad I pushed it hard on a autocross course before I got the upgrade at SAI...its a monster.

I took a total car freak friend (very knowledgeable and had a huge x huge vintage vette collection in the past) for a quick ride, his words were "HOLY S%$#!!!" :hysterical:

When I left him I did a no clutch quick short burnout, we both agreed the car has a big block feel with the whipple...Torque City!!! Super cool.

I thought I never would say this about a fast car, but I really am digging the mellow quite side of the car, sounds almost stock at lights haha!

SAI you guys made my year!!

About the hair...yeah I know...Chihuly has the eye patch and I have strange bozo hair...drunk women really dig it however...pretty funny... :happy feet: Besides CC those are horns not wings haha Cheers Guys!!!

And thanks again for all of your advice and goodwill I really appreciate all of your posts and input on the boards...... :)

So I dyno'd the car locally and got 483.40 RWHP SAE method! Amazing and I even got to drive the car on the dyno. I rolled it on gradually it was really a trip. The exhaust sounded "raspy" and good to the dyno guy. He asked if he could drive the car and I said sure as he was a former 911 racer. He was very impressed with the car and said "man this is a nice car". I agree!

69 you will be happy to know that the CPU adjusts automatically for altitude...The car runs FLAWLESSLY it is very smoth until provoked then its look 4 blocks ahead as thats where you are going real quickly. My buddy went with me and he was cracking up how quick it is cruising around the highway over to the dyno! And in total comfort haha...cool.

Best DD ever...

Man I am stoked...worth every penny!!

McCoy,

WOW

Videos are great!

Will share with my son tomorrow afternoon. He will really enjoy your time lapse photography.

Just when I am settling down to planet earth and putting a supercharger out of my mind; I read your experience which may well change all that and I just may have to do something about it.

Keep us updated on your observations, especially how the OEM tires & brakes deal with your new found power.

Thanks for sharing.

Lg

Well put together video. Enjoyed it greatly!!

Thanks!

UNBELIEVABLE, proof that it is a small world I have bookmarked on my computer your collection of tri-five gasser photos as I have a 56 I am doing up gasser style with a 4sp and BB. I love you collection of photographs!!!

Now that is a bad to the bone collection of photographs!!! My favorite car from that set is one called "Panama Red" great car! Thanks for the gasser inspiration!

Mccoy - You have really inspired me and I applaud your aggressive motivation with the Whipple 550 SC. Here is the real deal...I really can not justify putting that type of money into "my" car. Now you see I say "my" car because that is exactly what it is about. I have almost 15K miles on it now and it is not in show condition anymore and I would have to have it professionally touched up and other things to get it right and that is extra money too and not original is the biggest thing. So my decison is, at this time, I will not be inputting any more money into the car except for up keep and detailing. Yes I would have loved to have huge HP like your car but I just can't justify it. So I thank you for ribbing me and informing me about your car and the awesome feeling it must be to have it SC'd with that much HP but I am just not sold on doing this. So I will be looking at what Ford's Job 2 has for this current Mustang and maybe just maybe SAI will do this again and I'll get the car I alway wanted right from the start. Again thank you for all your time and thoughts on this subject. And you know I am always just joking with you about anything else.

Dave

Mccoy congrats on the Whipple 483 to the wheels very sweet , and your pops is a riot ! getting the Whipple was by far the best 10 grand i have ever spent, the power seems endless and every time I hear that thing wind up I turn into a 5 year old. We are all freaking nuts aren't we ! :drool:

Mccoy congrats on the Whipple 483 to the wheels very sweet , and your pops is a riot ! getting the Whipple was by far the best 10 grand i have ever spent, the power seems endless and every time I hear that thing wind up I turn into a 5 year old. We are all freaking nuts aren't we ! :drool:

Totally cooked....!!! :happy feet:

I agree with you man this thing is fun... :hysterical: Congratulations on your car it looks great!!! It truly transformed the car 100% I agree I am really loving it!

I got my undercarraige and my engine bay cleaned up perfectly now...from the drive home..

So my wife who has a mild case of carnutitus and I went for a cruise by ourselfs last night and she said that now that the engine is so powerful she was wondering if the brakes and tires were "safe"...man she is making this too easy haha :hysterical:

It is a little too much for the rubber and the brakes on the street are being worked, I am thinking that I have some mods to do... :happy feet: al for saftey of course... :drool:

Also I know that rolling on the throttle slowly on the dyno helped my numbers....

edit for added thoughts!

Mccoy - You have really inspired me and I applaud your aggressive motivation with the Whipple 550 SC. Here is the real deal...I really can not justify putting that type of money into "my" car. Now you see I say "my" car because that is exactly what it is about. I have almost 15K miles on it now and it is not in show condition anymore and I would have to have it professionally touched up and other things to get it right and that is extra money too and not original is the biggest thing. So my decison is, at this time, I will not be inputting any more money into the car except for up keep and detailing. Yes I would have loved to have huge HP like your car but I just can't justify it. So I thank you for ribbing me and informing me about your car and the awesome feeling it must be to have it SC'd with that much HP but I am just not sold on doing this. So I will be looking at what Ford's Job 2 has for this current Mustang and maybe just maybe SAI will do this again and I'll get the car I alway wanted right from the start. Again thank you for all your time and thoughts on this subject. And you know I am always just joking with you about anything else.

Dave

Cool, if you get to the city let me know I will still buy you lunch...you know I am razzing you sometimes as well. I will say that I am very surprised that you are not going for it however.

Have you heard of Dr. Color Chip? I keep meaning to order it and try it out I have a few rock chips, nothing major though.

I am never selling #471 so I could easily justify the investment, besides it seriously changed the car so radically that it is completley worth it. And I would tell you if I thought it was not, whipple deserves a medal and the guys at SAI are truly great!

Even my wife was like WOW! It is a very quick pony now...and it still does traffic like a stock SGT amazing! :hysterical:

Cheers Dave and I hope we meet up one day...

Totally cooked....!!! :happy feet:

I agree with you man this thing is fun... :hysterical: Congratulations on your car it looks great!!! It truly transformed the car 100% I agree I am really loving it!

I got my undercarraige and my engine bay cleaned up perfectly now...from the drive home..

So my wife who has a mild case of carnutitus and I went for a cruise by ourselfs last night and she said that now that the engine is so powerful she was wondering if the brakes and tires were "safe"...man she is making this too easy haha :hysterical:

It is a little too much for the rubber and the brakes on the street are being worked, I am thinking that I have some mods to do... :happy feet: al for safety of course... :drool:

Also I know that rolling on the throttle slowly on the dyno helped my numbers....

edit for added thoughts!

I think you need to have your wife call my wife, so I can get some added "safety mods" ;)

Archived