TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Granatelli Throttle Body problems

HI

I`ve mounted a GMS TB last week, everything looked great until i pulled onto highway and stepped on it, the wrench light comes on :|.

I noticed that it happens only when pushed rapidly while driving or full throttle open when idle.

This two errors occured:

P2104 Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Idle

P2112 Throttle Actuator Control System - Stuck Closed

Do you think that this Throttle Body could be damaged?

It says that it`s bolt on and doesn`t need to retune i also got steeda elbow.

now i`m back with factory TB but wonder what was wrong.

I would guess it's a problem with the actuator motor or TPS. Are you sure you got the spring tensioned properly? Could also be a voltage problem, check your TPS voltages with a voltmeter. Voltage readings need to be between 1.19 and 1.31 volts

I have the BBK twin 62mm TB and I got a new tune asap after install. I was told by Bamachips that it was definitely necessary. I'd try a new tune for sure.

I've heard of these kinds of problems on the aftermarket monoblade TB's for the 90's-00's Mustangs, but nothing with the new twin blades. Good luck.

Ken

p.s. My BBK doesn't look like the Granatelli pictured above at all.

Hello Madasek,

I installed the BBK 62mm throttle body but regardless of which aftermarket throttle body you use you really need to check the voltage on the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) of the stock throttle body before you switch it out. Since you have switched back to the stock throttle body and it’s working OK you should be ready to check the voltage.

You’ll need a digital voltage meter, the reading on the stock TPS should be between 1.19-1.31 volts. Write down the measured voltage because you’ll want to get as close as possible with the TPS mounted on the aftermarket throttle body.

You should not need to have the car re-tuned with this mod, I picked up a consistent 1/10+ of a second in the ¼ mile with the bigger throttle body. Note that this would probably not be a big improvement for a non-supercharged car.

See the link below for Installation Instructions from BBK. Go to the trouble shooting guide on page 3 and it will walk you through the procedure.

BBK Throttle Body Installation Instructions

Good Luck

Hello Madasek,

I installed the BBK 62mm throttle body but regardless of which aftermarket throttle body you use you really need to check the voltage on the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) of the stock throttle body before you switch it out. Since you have switched back to the stock throttle body and it's working OK you should be ready to check the voltage.

You'll need a digital voltage meter, the reading on the stock TPS should be between 1.19-1.31 volts. Write down the measured voltage because you'll want to get as close as possible with the TPS mounted on the aftermarket throttle body.

You should not need to have the car re-tuned with this mod, I picked up a consistent 1/10+ of a second in the ¼ mile with the bigger throttle body. Note that this would probably not be a big improvement for a non-supercharged car.

See the link below for Installation Instructions from BBK. Go to the trouble shooting guide on page 3 and it will walk you through the procedure.

BBK Throttle Body Installation Instructions

Good Luck

+1 that's the ticket.

Are the gears plastic or brass? Does it look like this one -- which looks like a BBK, I think -- just curious.

gm-tb0007_a_lg.jpg

That is the stock OEM GT500 TB in the pic.

FYI...The BBK is a 65mm TB and as stated by Cudafly it does not require any tune changes. Furthermore if you are getting these codes :

It is most likely due to a problem with the TB itself (design and construction) and not the OEM ;TPS or ;actuator motor with one exception and that is if anyone did in fact change any of the TB setings in the tune such as Dashpot settings stc.

That is the stock OEM GT500 TB in the pic.

FYI...The BBK is a 65mm TB and as stated by Cudafly it does not require any tune changes. Furthermore if you are getting these codes :

It is most likely due to a problem with the TB itself (design and construction) and not the OEM ;TPS or ;actuator motor with one exception and that is if anyone did in fact change any of the TB setings in the tune such as Dashpot settings stc.

Just for clarification Madasek is driving an SGT and the BBK 05-09 Mustang GT Throttle Body is 62mm. See this link: BBK 05-09 Mustang GT Throttle Body

You may be thinking about the BBK 07 and up GT 500 Throttle Body which is 65mm: BBK 07 and up GT 500 Throttle Body

I agree that the problem may not be the Throttle Position Sensor but I would check the voltage of the TPS on the stock and new TB anyaway to rule out any TPS voltage differences. One less variable is always a good thing when troubleshooting.

Just for clarification Madasek is driving an SGT and the BBK 05-09 Mustang GT Throttle Body is 62mm. See this link: BBK 05-09 Mustang GT Throttle Body

You may be thinking about the BBK 07 and up GT 500 Throttle Body which is 65mm: BBK 07 and up GT 500 Throttle Body

I agree that the problem may not be the Throttle Position Sensor but I would check the voltage of the TPS on the stock and new TB anyaway to rule out any TPS voltage differences. One less variable is always a good thing when troubleshooting.

10/4 on the GT TB size I saw that afterwards , Thanks for the clarification. You're right also about double checking the TPS voltage just in case , not sure what the set up procedure is on the GMS.TB but the sensor still works with the OEM TB so I doubt it would be an issue.

HI

I`ve mounted a GMS TB last week, everything looked great until i pulled onto highway and stepped on it, the wrench light comes on :|.

I noticed that it happens only when pushed rapidly while driving or full throttle open when idle.

This two errors occured:

Do you think that this Throttle Body could be damaged?

It says that it`s bolt on and doesn`t need to retune i also got steeda elbow.

now i`m back with factory TB but wonder what was wrong.

Anything that says Ganatelli on it I have had has problems ...............................I ordered coils and they didn't even fit , changed to MSD ,,I'd never have any thing associated with them.................Z

What size are the blades in the stock GT500 TB? And does the Cobra Jet TB work on the 4.6? What size is it?

Ken

Stock TB kit-http://www.teamjdm.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=217

CJ TB http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...tKeyField=10787

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78048

Archived