TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 Lease?

F150 Duke

Hey Guys,

Quick question. Does Ford offer a lease on the GT500? I'm thinking on waiting for the 2011, but it'd be too good to be true if I could do a 1 year lease on a 2010 GT500, then drop the lease at a year for a 2011 in the event that it gets a new engine.

It wouldn't work well to well to just buy it with traditional financing then try and trade in or sell for a 2011 b/c I'd get killed with depreciation.

Am I just dreaming trying to find a way against heding the risk of waiting for the 2011?

Duke

Hey Guys,

Quick question. Does Ford offer a lease on the GT500? I'm thinking on waiting for the 2011, but it'd be too good to be true if I could do a 1 year lease on a 2010 GT500, then drop the lease at a year for a 2011 in the event that it gets a new engine.

It wouldn't work well to well to just buy it with traditional financing then try and trade in or sell for a 2011 b/c I'd get killed with depreciation.

Am I just dreaming trying to find a way against heding the risk of waiting for the 2011?

Duke

Hey Duke, while you can "technically" lease a GT500, its not very financially feasible, as its not a car that Ford has any special lease programs on (rates, rebates, etc), compared to a Fusion, or Edge. Plus, Ford doesn't do anything shorter than 24 months.

Hey Duke, while you can "technically" lease a GT500, its not very financially feasible, as its not a car that Ford has any special lease programs on (rates, rebates, etc), compared to a Fusion, or Edge. Plus, Ford doesn't do anything shorter than 24 months.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I'll just take my chances and wait for 2011. Only one more year.... :doh:

While Ford Credit does not offer leases shorter than 24 months, you can often find a fleet manager who had alternative arrangements for shorter leasing (common with fleet customers). At the dealership I work for, as an example, our fleet manager has a leasing company they deal with that is very flexible on lease details to meet any and all circumstances. Once upon a time, I was a cars salesman who did a lot of leasing. I was also a finance manager for our dealership for a couple years. And, I have a degree in finance. Glad I'm not selling or financing cars anymore, but I have some info that may help you in your decision....

If you could find a 1 year lease, the terms would likely be very steep. I am only offering a rough estimate here, but let's say you get a 2010 GT500 for MSRP (let's use $50K as a nice round # for a coupe with a few options). Then, let's say the lesser believes the residual in 1 year to be 70% (that's probably a good guess, but only a guess), then that would be a $35K residual at lease end. That leaves you with the difference of $15K to pay during the 1 year lease for the car itself. You'll likely have to pay an origination fee and/or deposit of some sort (usually a month's payment), plus licensing, and sales tax on the capital reduction paid upfront, interest, and the 1st month's payment is due at delivery. My best guess is that you'd need about $3,500 cash down and would have 11 more payments of about $1,200 per month in this example. So, you'd likely pay a total of $16,700 to drive a 2010 GT500 for a year.

In comparison, let's say you bought that same 2010 GT500 cash for $50K. Add tax & licensing (in my state you'd be looking at roughly $55K out-the-door). If you sold it after a year of ownership, how much could you get for it? If you sold it for $39K a year from now, you'd have lost about $16K, which is slightly better than what you may spend to lease for a year. If you could sell it (or trade it in) for over $40K, you'd definitely be in a better position than leasing for a year.

On a mainstream car with attractive rates & residuals, a lease works very nicely. The GT500 gets no special rates, though, so I'd say that a lease in this situation is not the route to go.

Hope this helps.

Archived