TEAM SHELBY FORUM

dash plaque fraud

So it came to my attention from the other mustang forum that i am on that some person is selling shelby dash plaques with vin#'s on them as well as with a certificate

here is a link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Shelby-GT50...sspagenameZWDVW

what do you guys think i already emailed shelby performance parts with the link and someone emailed the ebay vendor who said " the vin # does not matter"

dash plaque ebay

So it came to my attention from the other mustang forum that i am on that some person is selling shelby dash plaques with vin#'s on them as well as with a certificate

here is a link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Shelby-GT50...sspagenameZWDVW

what do you guys think i already emailed shelby performance parts with the link and someone emailed the ebay vendor who said " the vin # does not matter"

dash plaque ebay

Why would you want one if the VIN didn't match your car???????

here is a link

I have no idea what it is you're trying to ask. I got confused at the part where you say: "....that i am on that some person...."

I took a look at the link you supplied and here is what I think of the auction.

The auction is for a legit signed plaque. The guy selling it probably got it from a GT-500 after it was converted to a 40th anniversary, supersnake, or 427.

What you do with the plaque after the auction is your business. If you think it's "fraud" to place it on any car other than what that VIN # states, it's not. Only if you try to sell the car off as the one that has that VIN #.

mustangforums "....that i am on that some person...." the other mustang forum that i am on that some person meaning that there is another forum that i am on that that some person was or is selling carroll shelby signed dash plaques

i have no problem breaking it down barney style

then the fact that i think it would be fraud is because he has multiple certificates and plaques supposedly signed by carroll shelby that he is selling on ebay if you would have looked at his previous auctions you could see where he has sold a number of the plaques already yes you are right what he does with a dash plaque after he has gotten it for his car which has a vin # that he has purchased is his business

but then again to be selling that many he must have a few gt500's that he decided to order the plaques for and then sell them off on ebay

and fiacobra i appreciate that what you think happened might very well be what could happen as far as the SS 40th anniversary and other limited editions

but im not going for opinions here this person is selling them on ebay and lining his pockets when i know for a fact that when you buy them at shelby performance parts part of that sale goes to his charity

and while you are right no problems if it was just one and it was his personally the question is Whos Are They?

another theory i just thought of is that yes it could be a shelby certified mod shop that has them from gt500's that they have converted

another theory i just thought of is that yes it could be a shelby certified mod shop that has them from gt500's that they have converted

I understand you are trying to rationlize his plaque ownership, only issue with this theory is that if I paid $300.00 plus dollars for a dash plaque, and had the car converted, would I just let the mod shop keep my plaque? I would not, I would take the plaque along with every nut and bolt removed from the car with me. The plaques for sale did not come from a mod shop, and I question if he has been authorized to sell them by the foundation.

I unfortunately have done business with this person Before he started his new Ebay account (yes he had to open a new account in mid february) and can only say, do business at your own risk, items promised to me were never shipped (no it was not a plaque), and that was just one of several issues with the vendor, I sincerely hope that the foundation or SPP will be able to put a stop to this.

FP

I took a look at the link you supplied and here is what I think of the auction.

The auction is for a legit signed plaque. The guy selling it probably got it from a GT-500 after it was converted to a 40th anniversary, supersnake, or 427.

What you do with the plaque after the auction is your business. If you think it's "fraud" to place it on any car other than what that VIN # states, it's not. Only if you try to sell the car off as the one that has that VIN #.

I see your point FiaCobra.

Does anyone know how many plaques the guy has? Is it just one ?

Ok, it does seem this is his 3rd plaque selling on eBay.

We should record the VIN #'s and have someone cross reference them to see if they were ever converted.

This should not be hard to track down.

1ZVHT88S775325771 Shelby Certificate # 11658 dated Jan 16, 2009

1ZVHT89S085165779 Shelby Certificate # 11646 dated Jan 6, 2009

1ZVHT88S985181884 Unknown certificate # and date

Now, another question is.......if this is a mod shop employee (which I highly doubt) how did they get a hold of the Shelby Certificate?

This could possibly be a guy randomly sending Shelby a VIN # they pulled from somewhere. Perhaps a Ford dealer employee? I remember only supplying my VIN # and check to get my plaque.

If this is a fraudulent seller (It's beginning to look like it may be) an investigation should be started.

Perhaps the Shelby Foundation should require a present registration before handing out plaques and certificates?

yeahhh kinda fishy on this one. i believe one of the plaques sold for over $400 the last time, now why would someone pay over $400 when they can just order the plaque for $324.99 from scott drake. well, i guess for someone thats cloning a 500 could be. btw i notice the certificate doesn't look like it has the vin number on it, just a serial number. fyi a paper certificate is not hard to duplicate with the printing machine we have these days.

Ok, I couldn't help myself and I sent the seller a message through eBay.

Me: "I'm curious to know how you acquired 3 plaques with certificates?

I don't expect you to answer but i'd really like to know."

His reply: "OK,

The Plaques are Error items are available to employees only, they are duplicates that were mistakenly manufactured twice and I have more than three. That does not mean I will be listing another one as I am debating how many I will keep as investments. Why would you not expect me to not respond? If someone is nice and cordial I do not have any issues with taking a moment to respond. Enjoy the rest of your weekend and I appreciate your E-Mail.

What do you fellas think?

Well, I really don't know if any thing illegal is taking place here. Now i'm just curious as to these supposed "errors".

I guess someone at SAI should look into this since it is their merchandise that's being sold as well as someones VIN #.

mustangforums "....that i am on that some person...." the other mustang forum that i am on that some person meaning that there is another forum that i am on that that some person was or is selling carroll shelby signed dash plaques

i have no problem breaking it down barney style

then the fact that i think it would be fraud is because he has multiple certificates and plaques supposedly signed by carroll shelby that he is selling on ebay if you would have looked at his previous auctions you could see where he has sold a number of the plaques already yes you are right what he does with a dash plaque after he has gotten it for his car which has a vin # that he has purchased is his business

but then again to be selling that many he must have a few gt500's that he decided to order the plaques for and then sell them off on ebay

and fiacobra i appreciate that what you think happened might very well be what could happen as far as the SS 40th anniversary and other limited editions

but im not going for opinions here this person is selling them on ebay and lining his pockets when i know for a fact that when you buy them at shelby performance parts part of that sale goes to his charity

and while you are right no problems if it was just one and it was his personally the question is Whos Are They?

sounds to me like you spend too much time on forums

I don't know about this being fraud or whatever. I will say I feel like I'm being gang raped with no lube paying $400 for a signed piece of sheet metal. Unfortunately, I will probably pay it sooner or later because my car has a tiny ding between the AC vents. It looks like whoever assembled the interior pushed too hard and left a dent. It is only noticable in certain light but it annoys me. I'm sure the dealer would replace it under warranty but I think they would do more harm than good in the way of squeaks and rattles. I could see $100-200 because it is a nice piece and it is signed but $400 is way over the top IMO.

IMHO if it isn't your VIN, then why care? I mean there can still only be one car with that VIN that has that plaque. If it's your VIN being used, then legit question to pursue.

ok fair enough i mean its cool to be apathetic these days i didnt look to see if it was my vin just figured something was going on as far as being on forums to much that might be true to lol take a chill pill and relax on my part eh?

its like how i used to make fun of soccer moms for getting all up in arms about stuff they had no business in

i should be enjoying the ride more :)

I understand you are trying to rationlize his plaque ownership, only issue with this theory is that if I paid $300.00 plus dollars for a dash plaque, and had the car converted, would I just let the mod shop keep my plaque? I would not, I would take the plaque along with every nut and bolt removed from the car with me. The plaques for sale did not come from a mod shop, and I question if he has been authorized to sell them by the foundation.

I unfortunately have done business with this person Before he started his new Ebay account (yes he had to open a new account in mid february) and can only say, do business at your own risk, items promised to me were never shipped (no it was not a plaque), and that was just one of several issues with the vendor, I sincerely hope that the foundation of SPP will be able to put a stop to this.

FP

Fast Phil,

Can you send me an email with any information you have about this person selling on ebay with a former account. Jenni@cscf.org

thanks.

Jenni

CSCF

I don't know about this being fraud or whatever. I will say I feel like I'm being gang raped with no lube paying $400 for a signed piece of sheet metal. I could see $100-200 because it is a nice piece and it is signed but $400 is way over the top IMO.

Totally :)

instead of throwing out the mistake plaques, employee gets them for free or get them at a fraction of the cost and they turn around reselling it?

if thats the case, its the foundation's call to allow it or not. to me its more of a moral issue. the foundation is using the money to do something good, the resellers are just making money since there is a demand for them, period.

then again it probably cost lots more resources to monitor these mistake or error plaques.

ahhh anyhow, american capitalism at its best lol

These plaques are fake or damaged replacements. employees dont get them, SPP destroys the bad or misprinted ones. He is clearly lying. and the certificate we send doesn't look like that, that is the CSF certificate. We are looking into this and we will figure out where they came from.

As an added note, the mod shops don't ever see these

Amy

These plaques are fake or damaged replacements. employees dont get them, SPP destroys the bad or misprinted ones. He is clearly lying. and the certificate we send doesn't look like that, that is the CSF certificate. We are looking into this and we will figure out where they came from.

Amy

Amy

This same seller is also selling Cobra plaques for $1,300

The Cobra plaques are #4205 and #4374

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=320352281121

Steve

Well, I really don't know if any thing illegal is taking place here. Now i'm just curious as to these supposed "errors".

I guess someone at SAI should look into this since it is their merchandise that's being sold as well as someones VIN #.

After ordering my plaque, I was contacted to see if I wanted a second one, so I took it for an additional fee. I was also told that they made two by mistake. However, I didnt receive another certificate though.

Amy

thanks amy!!

Archived