TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Any chance Ford could redesign rear end for 2011?

Hi all.

I was at the Calgary Auto show about a week ago and had the chance to compare the new redesigned 2010 Mustang that was besides a 2008 GT500KR. I had a real good look at the new stylings of the front end (nice), fenders (very nice), interior (excellent), rear end (YUCK!!!). Now with all due respect to new 2010 owners, the car looks great, and performace/handling on the GT500 has been kicked up which is always great but the rear end is really lousy, Imho.

I remeber when the new mustang came out in 1994, everyone complained about the taillights which had the three horizontal lights instead of the traditional three verticle lights. Everyone complained and Ford changed this.

So, with so many out there saying the just can't stand the rear end, will Ford take a look at this and make a change?

QSS

Edit: I gotta learn how to spell "redesign" in my title. I'm a little bit challanged.

I like the 2010 from every angle - except - to me, the rear end is butt-ugly, and if I were in the market now it would definitely be a deal-breaker; and I would wait to see what the next update looks like.

I doubt they will change the rear end so quickly, but there have been instances before where car companies changed design elements very early in the lifecycle of a vehicle due to those elements being poorly received by the public. One example that comes to my mind is the Subaru Tribeca SUV. They changed the controversial front end after about two years, so there may still be some hope for 2012. I agree with many here that besides the rear end, the other elements of the Mustang redesign are fine, with the interior in particular being a significant improvement.

I like the 2010 from every angle - except - to me, the rear end is butt-ugly, and if I were in the market now it would definitely be a deal-breaker; and I would wait to see what the next update looks like.

"BUT UGLY"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yup:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not a fan of the rear either...but these things take some time to get use to. If I could afford one, it wouldn't stop me from buying one. The only reason they would change it is if sales just tanked....and that wouldn't benefit any of us.

It is interesting. You go through 38 release photos of the GT500. Not one full picture of the rear....maybe Ford already knows that is the 2010 Mustang sore spot.

Then again...who's looking at the back.

post-8665-1239429638_thumb.jpg

post-8665-1239429638_thumb.jpg

I saw a 2010 Mustang in person last night and in my opinion the car looks great for the most part. The front clip looks wonderful, the interior is awesome except for the center air vents, and the rear quarters are nicely shaped. But the rear end? I think it looks like total crap. It reminds me of a satchel ass. My girlfriend even said it looked horrible and I better not think of trading untill Ford fixes it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived