TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Billet Hood Pin Installation

I tried to install one side of my billet hood pins this afternoon but had to stop and put back the old ones because I just couldn't get them to work!

The pin/support plate needs to be angled in such a manner that the pin now hits the front edge of the hole in the inner liner of the hood (underneath). It looks like I'm going to need to open that hole and then paint it and try again when I have more time.

These things are hard to get lined up so that the ring pin goes in the hole and fits in the groove of the billet plate.

Anyone have any tips?

I tried to install one side of my billet hood pins this afternoon but had to stop and put back the old ones because I just couldn't get them to work!

The pin/support plate needs to be angled in such a manner that the pin now hits the front edge of the hole in the inner liner of the hood (underneath). It looks like I'm going to need to open that hole and then paint it and try again when I have more time.

These things are hard to get lined up so that the ring pin goes in the hole and fits in the groove of the billet plate.

Anyone have any tips?

Yeah..I had the same problem. I had to widen the holes and bend and move the support plate just right to get it all to fit right. I must have opened and closed the hood 100 times till I got them both to fit right.

Yeah..I had the same problem. I had to widen the holes and bend and move the support plate just right to get it all to fit right. I must have opened and closed the hood 100 times till I got them both to fit right.

Thanks,

I guess I'll wait until Saturday to try again. I know I can do it, I just started running out of daylight.

100 times? I think that's about right.

Thanks,

I guess I'll wait until Saturday to try again. I know I can do it, I just started running out of daylight.

100 times? I think that's about right.

If I remember correctly...I had to use a large round file to file down the back edge of each hole....making the shape of an oval. And then I had to bend the support plates upwards to make the pins fit just right. It takes lots of patience.

I have an easier fix to this than filing or cutting the hole or modifying the bracket. I too, had this problem. Use the original brackets, and you will have no problem. You might also make note that the screws sent with the billet hood pins are a smaller diameter then the originals, you will more than likely need to use them also.

Chris

I have an easier fix to this than filing or cutting the hole or modifying the bracket. I too, had this problem. Use the original brackets, and you will have no problem. You might also make note that the screws sent with the billet hood pins are a smaller diameter then the originals, you will more than likely need to use them also.

Chris

I'm pretty sure I DID use the original plate and still had a problem. Your right about the screws. I believe I ended up using the originals too.

I'm pretty sure I DID use the original plate and still had a problem. Your right about the screws. I believe I ended up using the originals too.

It took me about an hour and a half to get everything lined up, once I did they worked great with no modification. The plate with the billet hood pins is about a quarter of an inch longer than the origionals. If you leave the two bolts that hold the bracket to the rad support you can adjust them to center of the hole. (or at least I was able too)

Chris

It took me about an hour and a half to get everything lined up, once I did they worked great with no modification. The plate with the billet hood pins is about a quarter of an inch longer than the origionals. If you leave the two bolts that hold the bracket to the rad support you can adjust them to center of the hole. (or at least I was able too)

Chris

The problem I ran into was that the original hood plates are flat, while the new ones are raised. So to correct this problem, along with the curvature of the hood, I had to slightly tweak the pin support plates to make everything fit right. I guess it really doesn't matter how you do it, as long as it works.

Mine was a combo of Chris' and Tek's installs. I started and replaced everything as the instructions said and messed with them for 3 hours (and at least a hundred up and downs with the hood) one night and never got them to line up, so I walked away before I did anything stupid. Next evening I used a variable speed dremel and smoothed the holes from the underside and tried again. I gave up on the new hood pin set and was putting the old ones back on when the idea to try the old brackets with the new pins came to me. Switched back to the original brackets put the new pins on, then had to tweak them slightly to get them to line up (I put a box end wrench over each pin and the nut holding it to the bracket. I lowered the hood down and used the wrenches to adjust the brackets with slight pressure they went anyway you wanted them to--doing this way saved me another several up and downs with the hood and took less than 5 minutes). If you need any advice or more tips, let me know and I can PM you.

Larry

Mine was a combo of Chris' and Tek's installs. I started and replaced everything as the instructions said and messed with them for 3 hours (and at least a hundred up and downs with the hood) one night and never got them to line up, so I walked away before I did anything stupid. Next evening I used a variable speed dremel and smoothed the holes from the underside and tried again. I gave up on the new hood pin set and was putting the old ones back on when the idea to try the old brackets with the new pins came to me. Switched back to the original brackets put the new pins on, then had to tweak them slightly to get them to line up (I put a box end wrench over each pin and the nut holding it to the bracket. I lowered the hood down and used the wrenches to adjust the brackets with slight pressure they went anyway you wanted them to--doing this way saved me another several up and downs with the hood and took less than 5 minutes). If you need any advice or more tips, let me know and I can PM you.

Larry

Thanks guys! It always helps to listen to those with experience.

Could have used this thread about a week ago. Had the same issues as all of you. I messed around for about 3 hours and figured out all the same things but mine don't fit as nice as I'd like. The pins don't really sit in the groove. Maybe I need to drill and grind more. :headscratch:

Could have used this thread about a week ago. Had the same issues as all of you. I messed around for about 3 hours and figured out all the same things but mine don't fit as nice as I'd like. The pins don't really sit in the groove. Maybe I need to drill and grind more. :headscratch:

Be thankful you only had to mess with it for 3 hours, it took me even longer then that. However, no matter how long it took, the looks of them make it all worth it.

Chris

The problem I ran into was that the original hood plates are flat, while the new ones are raised. So to correct this problem, along with the curvature of the hood, I had to slightly tweak the pin support plates to make everything fit right. I guess it really doesn't matter how you do it, as long as it works.

I looked into this Mod shortly after getting into TS. There are other threads discussing this. Decided at the time to pass because

both SAI - Bud and SPP reported that it would require some modification to the old hood hole due to the thicker plates being placed on a curved surface. The opening and closing was also part of the process to be able to sneak up on the right adjustment.

I passed on the billet style at that time. This thread added a lot of other ideas for me to go and order them tonight. Must have been fate that got the discussion going again.

Thanks for all the added ways to attempt to get it done.

I looked into this Mod shortly after getting into TS. There are other threads discussing this. Decided at the time to pass because

both SAI - Bud and SPP reported that it would require some modification to the old hood hole due to the thicker plates being placed on a curved surface. The opening and closing was also part of the process to be able to sneak up on the right adjustment.

I passed on the billet style at that time. This thread added a lot of other ideas for me to go and order them tonight. Must have been fate that got the discussion going again.

Thanks for all the added ways to attempt to get it done.

Glad you made the decision for the billet type. They look much better then the originals IMO. If you need any help, just ask.

I have a question about how tight the pins are when they are inserted in the posts. Do they move freely, do they bind slightly or do you have to push down on the hood to get them in or out. I have had mine at various "tensions" attempting to keep the pin in the center. However, they always seem to travel to one side or the other.

Is there a way to position/tension the posts so that the pins stay in the center?

I have a question about how tight the pins are when they are inserted in the posts. Do they move freely, do they bind slightly or do you have to push down on the hood to get them in or out. I have had mine at various "tensions" attempting to keep the pin in the center. However, they always seem to travel to one side or the other.

Is there a way to position/tension the posts so that the pins stay in the center?

I adjusted mine so I would have to push down slightly on the hood to get them off. I had it too loose before that and the pins ending up sliding back and forth.

Patience, Patience, Patience. That's the key to getting these things installed correctly.

Another note that I didn't see mentioned here.

Ffter you open the hood, put an old sheet or something over the entire front of the car BEFORE you start filing.

This will catch most of the shavings and you wont have them falling into every nook and cranny in the engine bay..

Did mine last year and from what I remember it took a lot of patience and several hundred opening and closings of the hood. I did a little of everything to get the pins to fit but one of the other things I did that helped was to enlarge the hole in the mounting bracket where it attaches to the radiator. It gave me a little flexibility while adjusting everything.

Hope that helps.

Well, I got the aluminum billet plates installed and they look good.

I used the old steel mounting brackets (actually a new set of the old design) because the brackets that come with the billet set are a little long. I had to open the holes in the hood and bend the plates and adjust the pins and do everthing 100 times.

I also used the #8 aluminum screws from McFeely's and ground the head diameter down a bit to fit in the counter bore of the screw holes. I also opened up the screw holes in the billet plates to the next drill size. So I hope I have reduced the possibility of galvanic corrosion with this effort. It's about the best I can do.

For those that want to use aluminim rivets instead of screws, I think that will work too. At least my rivet tool (Craftsman) will fit inside the screw hole counter bore to install the rivet.

Thanks y'all for the tips. They were very helpful!

Archived