TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tire pressure sensor fault

Ok, I know I have seen some writings on this before but can't find it in a search.

I had Whipple reflash my PCM and put it and the new cold air intake back in my car last night (see pics on the mod/tech forum). Now I have a "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault", all four tires have 34 psi in them. I am thinking because of the battery disconnect or something that this has occured.

How do you re-train the sensors? Ford wants $50 to do this, which is b.s. and I don't want them touching my car anyway.

There is a part I can buy from them that says it is for an Econo line van and do this myself...but I have heard you should be able to do this with a strong magnent.

Has anyone done this or had this issue and would the PCm reflash have caused this?

Thank you.

I've done it twice, once at Goodyear and once at Firestone. These guys are CLUELESS about how to do this. The first time, I asked the guy if I could do it cos' he admitted he had the tool, but didn't know how to use it. Following the instructions listed here (which I printed and showed to him) I told him I'd do it if he didn't mind. Firestone actually has a section on their website which boosted confidence in me that they would somehow be experienced. I had success at Goodyear, but they were new tires and I had too much air in them and eventually the light came on. That's why I went to Firestone next. I watched this guy go around and around and around the car and not once getting them to register. I walked out to the shop and looked into the car and saw it wasn't even in "train" mode. I told him in ENGLISH what the problem was, but he still had this deer in headlights look. I sat down and put it in train mode and asked to see the programmer. I finished the job in 5 minutes.

Do yourself a favor, buy the tool (Steeda sells one as well) follow the instructions listed here and you should be on your way! It's not rocket science. And yes, we have the rim mounted. They sit directly opposite of the valve stem (if installed correctly).

Steeda Tool

I've done it twice, once at Goodyear and once at Firestone. These guys are CLUELESS about how to do this. The first time, I asked the guy if I could do it cos' he admitted he had the tool, but didn't know how to use it. Following the instructions listed here (which I printed and showed to him) I told him I'd do it if he didn't mind. Firestone actually has a section on their website which boosted confidence in me that they would somehow be experienced. I had success at Goodyear, but they were new tires and I had too much air in them and eventually the light came on. That's why I went to Firestone next. I watched this guy go around and around and around the car and not once getting them to register. I walked out to the shop and looked into the car and saw it wasn't even in "train" mode. I told him in ENGLISH what the problem was, but he still had this deer in headlights look. I sat down and put it in train mode and asked to see the programmer. I finished the job in 5 minutes.

Do yourself a favor, buy the tool (Steeda sells one as well) follow the instructions listed here and you should be on your way! It's not rocket science. And yes, we have the rim mounted. They sit directly opposite of the valve stem (if installed correctly).

Steeda Tool

Thank you both for the assist. I will get the tool.

Guess I posted this in the wrong area of the forum as it got moved :headscratch:

I bought the (8CZZ-1A203-A) tool from my local Ford dealer and it cost around $20 bucks... Well worth the money and you can train them, yourself.

Gary

yeah the thieves that my Ford dealer are they want $37 plus tax for the same exact part number. I told them others only are spending $20, they dont care A$$E$.

Anyway I used a friends and I am complete now.

Thanks for all the great help.

i know you all are talking about fixing the problem. any way to disengage the problem i.e. fuse etc. w/o causing any problems.

Nope! I did read on another Mustang forum that someone did a "pipe bomb" type fix for this. They took 4 PVC pipes at about a foot a piece. Put the sensors in each one, capped them and pumped air into them. (obviously, with some sort of valve stem?) Programmed each pipe and threw them in the trunk and never had any issues.... Go figure! :headscratch:

Ok, I know I have seen some writings on this before but can't find it in a search.

I had Whipple reflash my PCM and put it and the new cold air intake back in my car last night (see pics on the mod/tech forum). Now I have a "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault", all four tires have 34 psi in them. I am thinking because of the battery disconnect or something that this has occured.

How do you re-train the sensors? Ford wants $50 to do this, which is b.s. and I don't want them touching my car anyway.

There is a part I can buy from them that says it is for an Econo line van and do this myself...but I have heard you should be able to do this with a strong magnent.

Has anyone done this or had this issue and would the PCm reflash have caused this?

Thank you.

This is probably a different thing, but I had my dealer install the IUP gauge cluster and the TPMS light wouldn't go out. They tried retraining the sensors but that would only appear to fix it for a moment. Then after a while the light would come back on. They put the old cluster back in and still couldn' the TPMS light to stay off. Finally they had to go into the Smart Junction Box and reprogram it, with the help of Ford factory, to fix the TPMS. They probably could get the IUP cluster to work now but they won't do it for me. It costs me over $300 in labor and restocking fees and I got nothing in return.

D*&n TPMS! :angry2:

This is probably a different thing, but I had my dealer install the IUP gauge cluster and the TPMS light wouldn't go out. They tried retraining the sensors but that would only appear to fix it for a moment. Then after a while the light would come back on. They put the old cluster back in and still couldn' the TPMS light to stay off. Finally they had to go into the Smart Junction Box and reprogram it, with the help of Ford factory, to fix the TPMS. They probably could get the IUP cluster to work now but they won't do it for me. It costs me over $300 in labor and restocking fees and I got nothing in return.

D*&n TPMS! :angry2:

I have this exact problem, though it was actually caused by a ford dealer, and now they can't figure out how to get the fault to go away. I bought the tool also and tried training it myself but the fault always returns. They don't seem to have the expertise to figure it out and it's driving me bonkers.

The night I drove my SGT off the lot, the sensor tripped a warning. I stopped and let air out of all the tires and I've never had the problem since. The dealership had the air pressure at about 45 pounds, if I remember correctly!

Ken

thanks guys. everytime that fault comes on i hit the reset button, it goes away til i turn off the car then it comes back on. i will recheck the tire pressure. but what i was trying to do is purchase new rims and tires w/o the sensors. but if i decide to do that i will get the sensors.

thanks guys. everytime that fault comes on i hit the reset button, it goes away til i turn off the car then it comes back on. i will recheck the tire pressure. but what i was trying to do is purchase new rims and tires w/o the sensors. but if i decide to do that i will get the sensors.

You will either have to remove your origional sensors from your old wheels, or you can purchase a set at either your ford dealer or at ebay link

Chris

Tire pressures are correct? If they're stock tires they need to be properly inflated. If they're too low OR too high, the sensor light will come on.

Yeah, mine WAS working great, when I took possession of the car it had shown up on a flat deck trailer, and they had the tires deflated a touch so the tie downs would hold. When I drove it a mile or so down the road it popped up and complained that my tires were low so I went and filled them up and it went away. Then to get a Canadian and provincial safety done, I took it to the dealer to see if they could somehow enable daytime running lights in the computer instead of having a module installed. Well, they failed to get the DRL working and ever since then the TPMS fault comes up every time I start my car. I do the training with the tool and it says it's fine but it will just return the next time I start the car.

Archived