TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dash Plaque Guide

thewheelman

I've waited until the weather got warmer to install my CS signature dash plaque (67 today, 72 tomorrow). I'm a little surprised there's as much play between it and the vents as there is. I was expecting a rather snug fit. I've already sealed it against UV rays and ready to mount it on the dash, but how do I make sure it's level? Eyeballing it from the driver's seat it looks crooked, even when lined up with the little dots on the dash material (are they level?). Can someone give me a good guide to the perfect dash plaque installation? I mean is there something simple we can use, like how many business cards can you stuff in each side of it? I just want to make sure it's straight and level and wife says she's not taking the rap for it if it's not.....she's got the best eyes in the house!

Thanks!

I've waited until the weather got warmer to install my CS signature dash plaque (67 today, 72 tomorrow). I'm a little surprised there's as much play between it and the vents as there is. I was expecting a rather snug fit. I've already sealed it against UV rays and ready to mount it on the dash, but how do I make sure it's level? Eyeballing it from the driver's seat it looks crooked, even when lined up with the little dots on the dash material (are they level?). Can someone give me a good guide to the perfect dash plaque installation? I mean is there something simple we can use, like how many business cards can you stuff in each side of it? I just want to make sure it's straight and level and wife says she's not taking the rap for it if it's not.....she's got the best eyes in the house!

Thanks!

..I have no good answer for the distance thing, but what I did was cut only about 1/4" of the red tape backing, top and bottom, so that just a little of the 3M tape is holding it on....but it is more than enough for it to not ever fall off....then if your initial placement does not satisfy you, it is relatively easy to get off and try again...

..I have no good answer for the distance thing, but what I did was cut only about 1/4" of the red tape backing, top and bottom, so that just a little of the 3M tape is holding it on....but it is more than enough for it to not ever fall off....then if your initial placement does not satisfy you, it is relatively easy to get off and try again...

I did the same thing. I switched out my 40th plaque for the signature one until I get my signed air bag cover. No need for all the backing.

I talked my wife into helping me. She sat in the passenger seat, and I was on the drivers side.

I took a small piece of plastic scrap that was about 3/16" thick, and cut it so it was about 5 "x 1 ".

I held this against the dash, as a ledge, and placed the dash plaque on top of it. DO NOT PEEL THE BACKING OFF THE PLAQUE YET.

Then I moved the 'ledge' up and down until the plaque was vertically centered between the two vents. To make sure it was straight, I got a flashlight and made sure everything was aligned with the small dots on the dash material (just like you mentioned).

Once I was happy with that, I had my wife hold the ledge in place, being careful nothing shifted when we switched from me holding it in place to her holding it. I slide the plaque from left to right until it was centered, actually counting the small dots to make sure it was even. When it looked good, I put two alignment marks on the plastic ledge at the ends of the bottom edge were.

I took one last look to make sure it all lined up. My wife also confirmed, and she has the best eyes too (must be a wife thing).

I then took the plaque off the ledge and peeled the tape off the back. Tipping the plaque at about 45 degrees, so that the top of the plaque was pointed towards the back of the car, I rested the bottom edge of it back on the plastic ledge that my wife was still holding in place. I slid it left/right using the alignment marks I had previously made on the ledge.

Then take a deep breath, hold it, and rotate the plaque forward so that the tape just contacts the dash with barely enough force to hold the plaque in place.

Remove the ledge, sit back, and take a look. If you are happy, firmly press on the plaque to adhere it to the dash (do not rub it for fear of smearing the signature). If not happy, you can pull it back off the dash, stick the covering back over the exposed tape, and start the whole procedure over again.

And the last, most important step....take your wife out for dinner in the newly 'plaqued' GT500.

GOOD LUCK

Thanks!

We all used your wife to make sure they were level. :hysterical:

I peeled all the backing off mine and just eyeballed it.

Slowly stuck it on while adjusting it.

Easy peasy.

th_DashPlaque036.jpg

th_DashPlaque026.jpg

Is it me or does that plaque look crooked?

:hysterical:

It's kind of interesting. When I first purchased my GT-500 I thought it was unique and worried about stuff like this. Now these cars are a dime a dozen but I still love it, and I don't go googles over every mod or part that goes on it. It feels just like one of my other cars. I wish they had kept their promise to make a limited number...I would probably still get worked up if the dash plaque was straight...are you kidding me. Also, we're in a depression and you're worried about a straight dash plaque??? Again these are now just Mustangs with thousands out there on the road. Just drive it like any other car you own and quit worrying about it. It has no value other than the enjoyment of driving it. I hate to sound so negative but we all got taken to the cleaners with lots of starch. We bought high priced GT's. JMHO

it would really bug me if it was cocked, even minutely.

It matters not to me if I paid $60,000 or $30,000 for the car, depression, recession or indigestion: If I put a part on, I want it done right. No, I didn't buy a glorified GT. I can count on one hand the number of GT 500 I've seen since they were released. I'm sorry you are so cynical, but I think a little more of my car than that. Thanks for your input, anyway.

It matters not to me if I paid $60,000 or $30,000 for the car, depression, recession or indigestion: If I put a part on, I want it done right. No, I didn't buy a glorified GT. I can count on one hand the number of GT 500 I've seen since they were released. I'm sorry you are so cynical, but I think a little more of my car than that. Thanks for your input, anyway.

I'm with you. I've kept a log of how many GT-500's Ive seen since I ordered mine and in just over 2 years I've seen exactly 14 on the road and 3 of those were on car carriers. That's about 1 sighting every 2 months. Certainly not a dime a dozen. And I do quite a bit of driving for my job, about 50,000 miles per year, mostly highway miles and not many GT-500's out there.

On the other hand, Mustang GT's, I've seen thousands.

Hey, just noticed you were from KY also. :beerchug:

Thanks everyone for your input and help! Last night we tried 2 or 3 different things to assure it was level and straight. I managed to slide 3 business cards in between the plaque and each vent to kind of center it up, then we just peeled it and stuck it. Eyeballing it with a little help....looks great!

Thanks again!

I didn't give it much thought. I simply removed the strips and stuck the plaque in place. If it's crooked, I haven't noticed, neither did anyone who sat in the car.

Well, I put mine on with ALL the backing, and it is a little off. I had success with removing the exterior badging (I re-badged with all red appearance package badges) using fishing line and WD-40. But then, it would not stick again. So the WD-40 is out as an option.

Has anybody that put it on with the full tape, tried the working just fishing line behind it (or some other way) successfully, and being able to line it up again (mine is off by one row of dots end-to-end) and have it stick?

Archived