TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Best intercool S/C for 4.6 3v for perform./enginelife

I know I'm gonna get crucified for saying this but I've been studying this issue for nine months and IMO the Roush S/C is the best S/C for the 4.6 3 valve motor....now wait a minute don't start throwing tomatoes at me just yet!! Here's my reasoning.

#1. I live in Oklahoma and it gets hotter than hell here in the summer and to me the Ford Racing 400hp is not an option cause it's not intercooled and if I'm gonna spend that kinda money I don't wanna have to be more concerned with heat soak than I would be with an intercooled S/C.

#2. From everything I've read here in this forum and talking to other folks that no more about it than me the Ford Racing 550hp over the long run is just to much for that engine since it doesn't have forged internals and my car is my daily driver, if it wasn't I would go for the 550hp. I know if you have good common sense and dont have your foot in it all the time and throw in an occasional day at the strip you'd PROBABLY be okay but I also understand that 95% of the time the person who is telling me that is the one who's buisness it is to sell them.. maybe I'm to cynical but I'm just saying.

#3. I don't want a paxton, for one reason it's not instant when you step on the gas and another thing is it's so intrusive. I'm not a mechanic but I bet a car that has a paxton on it is way more of a pain in the ass to work on than a roots style S/C that sits up top all nice and clean and out of the way.

The only thing that's stopping me from pulling the trigger on a Roush is the registry issue and apparent sacrilage it is according to what I've read here in this forum.

To me the Roush gives you a good amount of hp gain without pushing the limits as far as shortning the life of the engine and psi plus it's intercooled and really anymore horse power at the rear wheels than the Roush offers (I think around 365-375) and your just gonna be spinning tires....right? I drove a 427R and spun well into second but I only drove it once so I know you have to learn how to drive a S/C car. The registry is important to me but so is longevity of the motor...gimme some feedback!!!! :headscratch:

I honestly agree with just about everything you wrote. Who cares about the registry. Instead of saying GT/SC it'll say GT (modified with an SC). Big deal.

I'd go with the Edelbrock E-Force in a heartbeat. It's based on the Roush style design, but even more efficient. Good luck.

Ken

I honestly agree with just about everything you wrote. Who cares about the registry. Instead of saying GT/SC it'll say GT (modified with an SC). Big deal.

I'd go with the Edelbrock E-Force in a heartbeat. It's based on the Roush style design, but even more efficient. Good luck.

Ken

+1

I know I'm gonna get crucified for saying this but I've been studying this issue for nine months and IMO the Roush S/C is the best S/C for the 4.6 3 valve motor....now wait a minute don't start throwing tomatoes at me just yet!! Here's my reasoning.

#1. I live in Oklahoma and it gets hotter than hell here in the summer and to me the Ford Racing 400hp is not an option cause it's not intercooled and if I'm gonna spend that kinda money I don't wanna have to be more concerned with heat soak than I would be with an intercooled S/C.

#2. From everything I've read here in this forum and talking to other folks that no more about it than me the Ford Racing 550hp over the long run is just to much for that engine since it doesn't have forged internals and my car is my daily driver, if it wasn't I would go for the 550hp. I know if you have good common sense and dont have your foot in it all the time and throw in an occasional day at the strip you'd PROBABLY be okay but I also understand that 95% of the time the person who is telling me that is the one who's buisness it is to sell them.. maybe I'm to cynical but I'm just saying.

#3. I don't want a paxton, for one reason it's not instant when you step on the gas and another thing is it's so intrusive. I'm not a mechanic but I bet a car that has a paxton on it is way more of a pain in the ass to work on than a roots style S/C that sits up top all nice and clean and out of the way.

The only thing that's stopping me from pulling the trigger on a Roush is the registry issue and apparent sacrilage it is according to what I've read here in this forum.

To me the Roush gives you a good amount of hp gain without pushing the limits as far as shortning the life of the engine and psi plus it's intercooled and really anymore horse power at the rear wheels than the Roush offers (I think around 365-375) and your just gonna be spinning tires....right? I drove a 427R and spun well into second but I only drove it once so I know you have to learn how to drive a S/C car. The registry is important to me but so is longevity of the motor...gimme some feedback!!!! :headscratch:

use the new edelbrock its suppose to be better then everything out there.

EDIT: hahahahaha some one already mentioned the e-force lol my bad :doh:

You're going to get heat soak one way or another and lose some output. Granted, it may be minimal, but still. I'm putting down 352RWHP w/4:10's and have had no traction problems unless it's intentional.

I've adopted the "I don't care, i'm going to do what I want" approach to everything that goes on my car. I'd still talk to you if you had a Rousch! :)

You're going to get heat soak one way or another and lose some output. Granted, it may be minimal, but still. I'm putting down 352RWHP w/4:10's and have had no traction problems unless it's intentional.

I've adopted the "I don't care, i'm going to do what I want" approach to everything that goes on my car. I'd still talk to you if you had a Rousch! :)

I certainly wouldn't. :hysterical:

IMO, install the Whipple 550HO and have it tuned very conservativly, and you wont have any problems. If you want longevity from your motor, then I suggest no boost at all. Your gonna shorten the life no matter what blower you use. Its all in the tune, talk to your tuner and have him do what you want.

This is a huge issue of mine, and according to Quantum, they can tune it however you want from mild to wild.

I also say spend the extra coin and get that registry mark. Its only money, you cant take it with you, enjoy it while you can.

Chris

Realistically, don't mix the brand and lose your identity. The Shelby brand is next to none and the Rousch brand is good in its own right. Take it this way, a Rousch person would "never" install a Shelby SC as a Shelby person would not install a Rousch SC. They both have their pluses and both can be tuned to just the way you like them with little loss of engine life. My opinion is don't mix the two, if you want a Rousch buy one otherwise leave well enough alone.

Realistically, don't mix the brand and lose your identity. The Shelby brand is next to none and the Rousch brand is good in its own right. Take it this way, a Rousch person would "never" install a Shelby SC as a Shelby person would not install a Rousch SC. They both have their pluses and both can be tuned to just the way you like them with little loss of engine life. My opinion is don't mix the two, if you want a Rousch buy one otherwise leave well enough alone.

Tell me more about this 'Shelby SC'?

I assume you are referring to having a SC installed at a Shelby shop and then, and only then, do you have the rocker stripe that says GT/SC. And it is the only way to be entered into the registry as a supercharged SGT. Is that what you were referring? Yes you can have any supercharger installed anywhere but it will not have the SGT/SC and it will not be an official factory supercharged SGT.

A rousch, while very good, in a Shelby is like putting a small block chevy in a cobra. Might be a good engine, but there are some things you just don't do.

I assume you are referring to having a SC installed at a Shelby shop and then, and only then, do you have the rocker stripe that says GT/SC. And it is the only way to be entered into the registry as a supercharged SGT. Is that what you were referring? Yes you can have any supercharger installed anywhere but it will not have the SGT/SC and it will not be an official factory supercharged SGT.

A rousch, while very good, in a Shelby is like putting a small block chevy in a cobra. Might be a good engine, but there are some things you just don't do.

+1 on the Roush comment.

If you go back through the Posts, I have spotted but yet to get a pic of the white SGT in W.Seattle with a "ROUSCH CHARGED" emblem under the powered by ford emblem. My wife has seen it parked and verified thats what it said on the fender.

Whatever, its your car, do what you want...IMO I would and am going 550 whipple S/C by Shelby. Support the crew and the brand. It also matches the car. And if the motor cannot take it I will be the one to test it trust me. But from the year and a half on this forum, no one has toasted an engine with a tune provided by a s/c company that I know of. They all are cool to me.

Cheers!

I'm going to tend to agree with the general consensus of the forum. No matter which supercharger you go with - the longevity of your 4.6L 3V is going to be affected. I think that anyone who supercharges their car has to know in the back of their mind that there's ALWAYS THE POSSIBILITY of motor failure. IF that happens - hopefully you've budgeted the additional $5k for the crate engine with the forged internals!!! Back in the 60's most stock blocks were blown up and sitting on engine stands in the corner of the garage - replaced with something else anyway. ;)

You can decide between Paxton (intercooled) <== once certified of course, the Whipple 550 HO (intercooled), the Kenne Bell HO (intercooled) and all of them will get you a check mark in the registry and a GT/SC fender decal, so long as SAI, or authorized mod shop installs them. They are all really great kits in their own respects.

Personally - I too thought a lot about this over the last year. I learned that a Shelby GT with a CSM# is a little different animal than a Mustang GT right off the production line. The Registry thing is important to me with my Shelby GT. So I'm going to either Quantum Performance or to SAI for my supercharger mods and anything else that I deem "Package" related. Really the only thing you need have done to get the GT/SC check mark in the registry is the supercharger. In my eyes, the supercharger, the center gauge cluster, and perhaps the lower grille, duct bezels/lights would be all I'd want done at the MOD Shop. I'm pretty much leaning toward the FRPP Whipple 550. . . . . goes with all the other Ford Racing parts on the car, AND makes the badges on the fenders true - "POWERED BY FORD"

EVERYTHING ELSE after that is personal choice. Wheels/brakes/exhaust/hood/Grille/1 Piece driveshaft/3:73 or 4:10 gears/watts link/head rest covers/floormats/ etc. . . etc. . . etc. . . Not to mention - wheels/tires, brakes and exhaust all end up wearing out anyway and will require replacement at some point. Once again - personal choice is YOURS on replacement parts. Short of having to replace the BIG brakes with the factory ones - you can basically take off the aftermarket choices you've made and bolt on all the original equipment and bring you right back to your, all be it - basic, Shelby GT/SC and have a goodies bin for the potential new owner to sift through if the car happens to be sold sometime in the future.

If the registry thing IS important to you, then I tend to agree with those on the forum - no cross dressing - don't mix brands. :nonono:

What I'm saying is: If it's a Roush - keep it a Roush. If it's a Shelby - keep it a Shelby. If it's Saleen - keep it Saleen. As for the registry - for some, that's important, for other's it's not. How important is it to you? That's what matters! I agree with Chris - spend the extra coin and get the check mark in the registry. If nothing else, it will be one hell of an experience taking a Museum Delivery of your Shelby GT/SC at SAI, or making the road trip to Quantum Performance and even Tasca for that matter.

I'm looking for a Mustang GT that I can convert to a CS8 (It's an 'Authorized Package' from Shelby, but it's built by YOU - so no CSM# is assigned.) Spendy project but ONE HELL OF A CAR when your done! Since there's no restrictions to where the work is completed with the CS8, I can go to any body shop I choose to work with, and speed shop I choose to work with so long as once the kit is complete - I can submit the photos and reciepts to SAI for the Dash Plaque and it's all done!!

To each their own - this is your own way to make your girl how you want her. Only she's mechanical - doesn't really talk back too much and she's receptive to your suggestions of making changes in appearance and performance. . . . . huh? (Ha ha - Lucky I'm single or I'd be sleeping in the garage with my....... "Girl") :hysterical:

If the Registry isn't all that important to you - then MOD away to your hearts content! Show all of us a few things about your research and choices - maybe you'll sway the many here to see what you see and appreciate what it is about your choices that you appreciate. Either way - your car will be "One Hell of a Ride" in the words of Carroll Shelby!

Sorry for the lengthy response.

Anybody got change for $5.00?

Trevor

I would just trade the Shelby for a Roush, they are good cars. I will second what has been said about the Edlebrock, but wait until they actually put out what the company is claiming. So far they have been way off. That was my other choice, in the end I am dropping my car off at Tasca this Saturday and getting the 550HP Whipple.

If you go back through the Posts, I have spotted but yet to get a pic of the white SGT in W.Seattle with a "ROUSCH CHARGED" emblem under the powered by ford emblem. My wife has seen it parked and verified thats what it said on the fender.

Whatever, its your car, do what you want...IMO I would and am going 550 whipple S/C by Shelby. Support the crew and the brand. It also matches the car. And if the motor cannot take it I will be the one to test it trust me. But from the year and a half on this forum, no one has toasted an engine with a tune provided by a s/c company that I know of. They all are cool to me.

Cheers!

+1.

Wow!!! Great feedback so far!!!

There are some things that have been said I agree with and some not.

One guy said why not just get a Roush, well I thought about that and theres a couple reasons why I have not. One is if I tried to sell my car outright getting financing on any Roush car is difficult because there not in the NADA book and if it doesn't book you can't get the money, however there are some banks that finance "specialty" cars like that and all though I have a decent credit score they turned me down cause of a $20 late credit card payment three freakin' years ago....results of the economy mess I guess. Plus getting a new one through a dealership is no problem credit wise but theres no way, not when you can get an '07 427r for around 30K and an '08 427r for in the mid to upper 30k range.

I talked to a guy here in town who runs a reputable mod shop and has made a living off the '05 and up mustang craze he has put on alot of paxton's but knows I'd rather have a roush which he also installs and told me he would put a Roush on my car for $5,500 and make me the GT/SC badge which he did on a Shelby GT he had although his was a car under #200 and he put a Paxton on it and his GT/SC badge was spot on. Another thing is there are alot of people I've noticed who are getting there "correct" S/C on there car but there not being done at one of the three authorized mod shops, so they won't get the authorized mark in the registry I bet there's more folks that have no idea about that then do know. Hell when I bought my car with 16,900 miles on it Memorial Day weekend on a whim for $29,950 in perfect condition the goofy salesmen was like "hey if you want we can put a supercharger on your car for you and add it to the car deal for xx amount" I don't remember how much it was but then I had no clue about the "Roush on Shelby" no no and if I would have had them put in on I would have been pissed when I did find out about the forbidden "Roush on Shelby". So to me the only advantage a guy who has one of the three "correct S/C for the car" but didn't have it installed at one of the three authorized mod shops is that he can lift his hood and on the chance he even has someone around who is in the know he can say: "yep that's the correct S/C for the car" and the other guy says "cool so I guess that means your in the officaial registry as a GT/SC??" and the other guy says: "uuugggggghhhhhhhh"

I would just trade the Shelby for a Roush, they are good cars. I will second what has been said about the Edlebrock, but wait until they actually put out what the company is claiming. So far they have been way off. That was my other choice, in the end I am dropping my car off at Tasca this Saturday and getting the 550HP Whipple.

Carnut, can you be more specific about the E-Force?

Carnut, can you be more specific about the E-Force?

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=474111

Read through this, so far I am not impressed. They think it may be the unit they received, but they installed a new one Tuesday and still have not posted results. Does not look good in my opinion.

Here's my opinion. None of the SCs are made by Shelby. The only one with any real Shelby heritage is the Paxton. That's mostly because there weren't many, or any, other choices back in 65 or 66 when he was upfitting cars with SCs. The only ones that have anything Shelby on them are the Paxton and the KB, besides that the Whipple is a Ford Racing package. That doesn't make it any more or less a Shelby part. The only difference in any of them is that Shelby choose to sell, through their catalog, the KB, Paxton and Whipple. What's the difference if he chooses a Roush or a Saleen or a Turbonetics turbo to put on his car. GT500-07 (sorry I don't know your name) had Tasca put a Turbonetics on his SGT. Is it any less of a Shelby GT. Chances are that he will have his input into the registry so what about that. I don't see why anyones choice of a SC make a hill of beans difference. I'll bet if you go to Quantum or Tasca with a pile of cash they'll install a Roush or Saleen or whatever you want. Also, what's the big deal with the registry. From what I've read (post by rossvt) all you need to do is send him an email with your mods and he can input it into the registry. It will say that it is a modified SGT/SC with a owner installed SC. So what's so bad about that.

Does anybody know anyone who actually has a Edlebrock installed on their car? I've seen one article and that's it so far. There is an awful lot of praise here for something that no one actually has installed on their cars. I know that Edlebrock is a great, long standing company, but until I see some people with them on their cars and with some time on their motors I am not going to sing their praises. Whipple, Paxton, KB, Roush and Saleen have many installs out their and there are lots of data and experience with them.

If you want to install a Roush go for it man. If it makes you feel comfortable then do it. You can send an email to rossvt with your mods and you'll be in the registry. You can drive it around and enjoy the power and if it bugs you that it says Roush, then grind if off. If you want the GT/SC stripe go down to a graphics place and have them make them for you. It costs like $20. When you are at a car show or showing it off to your friends no one will care one lick that it is a Roush SC and not a Whipple, Paxton, or KB. They will look at it, say it looks great and ask you how the power feels. It's not like he's dropping a Chevy or Mopar in the thing.

Don't think that I haven't inquired about pulling the motor from mine and dropping in a Roush crate motor. They have some really nice pieces that are way wicked. I would do it in a minute if I had the cash.

I have a Whipple, Not installed by a Shelby mod shop. It was installed by a Shelby authorized shop so I won't be in the registry as an official SC car. I don't care one bit. I love the dang thing. I've won some awards with it and not one time did anyone ever say, Man that's not an official Shelby SC on there, nor will they. No one cares really. All they care about is that the car says Shelby on the back and that it looks good.

Just my opinion.

Don

Here's my opinion. None of the SCs are made by Shelby. The only one with any real Shelby heritage is the Paxton. That's mostly because there weren't many, or any, other choices back in 65 or 66 when he was upfitting cars with SCs. The only ones that have anything Shelby on them are the Paxton and the KB, besides that the Whipple is a Ford Racing package. That doesn't make it any more or less a Shelby part. The only difference in any of them is that Shelby choose to sell, through their catalog, the KB, Paxton and Whipple. What's the difference if he chooses a Roush or a Saleen or a Turbonetics turbo to put on his car. GT500-07 (sorry I don't know your name) had Tasca put a Turbonetics on his SGT. Is it any less of a Shelby GT. Chances are that he will have his input into the registry so what about that. I don't see why anyones choice of a SC make a hill of beans difference. I'll bet if you go to Quantum or Tasca with a pile of cash they'll install a Roush or Saleen or whatever you want. Also, what's the big deal with the registry. From what I've read (post by rossvt) all you need to do is send him an email with your mods and he can input it into the registry. It will say that it is a modified SGT/SC with a owner installed SC. So what's so bad about that.

Does anybody know anyone who actually has a Edlebrock installed on their car? I've seen one article and that's it so far. There is an awful lot of praise here for something that no one actually has installed on their cars. I know that Edlebrock is a great, long standing company, but until I see some people with them on their cars and with some time on their motors I am not going to sing their praises. Whipple, Paxton, KB, Roush and Saleen have many installs out their and there are lots of data and experience with them.

If you want to install a Roush go for it man. If it makes you feel comfortable then do it. You can send an email to rossvt with your mods and you'll be in the registry. You can drive it around and enjoy the power and if it bugs you that it says Roush, then grind if off. If you want the GT/SC stripe go down to a graphics place and have them make them for you. It costs like $20. When you are at a car show or showing it off to your friends no one will care one lick that it is a Roush SC and not a Whipple, Paxton, or KB. They will look at it, say it looks great and ask you how the power feels. It's not like he's dropping a Chevy or Mopar in the thing.

Don't think that I haven't inquired about pulling the motor from mine and dropping in a Roush crate motor. They have some really nice pieces that are way wicked. I would do it in a minute if I had the cash.

I have a Whipple, Not installed by a Shelby mod shop. It was installed by a Shelby authorized shop so I won't be in the registry as an official SC car. I don't care one bit. I love the dang thing. I've won some awards with it and not one time did anyone ever say, Man that's not an official Shelby SC on there, nor will they. No one cares really. All they care about is that the car says Shelby on the back and that it looks good.

Just my opinion.

Don

I think your exactly right on man!!!! I can see the appeal and romance of being able to say "My car is in the registry as an official GT/SC done by an authorized mod shop" but your right Shelby chose who they wanted to prop up as far as superchargers go and at the end of the day these cars are a Mustang GT with the same 4.6 3v that they send to Roush but ours got sent to Vegas instead to have alot of ford racing gear put on it by Shelby but that same gear can be bought by the consumer who has a regular GT and put on there car but it's just not a numbered Shelby car, that's the only distinction you can't get unless you buy a Shelby GT the rest of it can be put on any Mustang GT out there for that matter the GT 500 (made in Michigan) never even see's anything from SAI unless the owner ponies up the dough for the SS or 40th anniversary mods. If SAI, Tasca, or Quantam offered a S/C that was only made for an SGT and no other car then I could definitely see doing that. I respect that it's a buisness, the people from ford racing and KB sat down with the Shelby folks and worked out a buisness deal ahead of time and marketed it in away where there S/C would be proped up as "official" for the car so as to allure SGT owners to their product more than others. I googled "Roush Supercharger on Shelby" and it took me to an article headlined "Roush and Ford Racing unveil new Ford Shelby GT 500 S/C" now isn't that interesting I don't know the micro details of this but I do know Roush, Ford Racing, and Shelby are in the same sentence. I put 20" black razors on my car, a black lower and upper grill, and dare I say I had the stripes removed from the back of the car and a......Roush three piece spoiler put on it with the stripes stopping at the end of the spoiler and the back of the car without the stripes just like a 427r and it looks awesome because with the 20's and being lowered with that spoiler it's sweet looking also had high flow cats put on to but my point is I bet some would think that was even wrong but IMO the Roush three piece just looks better than the GT500 spoiler so I put it on and love it!! Besides that I can get a Roush S/C put on my car (445hp at the crank) for $2,000 less than a ford racing!!

I think your exactly right on man!!!! I can see the appeal and romance of being able to say "My car is in the registry as an official GT/SC done by an authorized mod shop" but your right Shelby chose who they wanted to prop up as far as superchargers go and at the end of the day these cars are a Mustang GT with the same 4.6 3v that they send to Roush but ours got sent to Vegas instead to have alot of ford racing gear put on it by Shelby but that same gear can be bought by the consumer who has a regular GT and put on there car but it's just not a numbered Shelby car, that's the only distinction you can't get unless you buy a Shelby GT the rest of it can be put on any Mustang GT out there for that matter the GT 500 (made in Michigan) never even see's anything from SAI unless the owner ponies up the dough for the SS or 40th anniversary mods. If SAI, Tasca, or Quantam offered a S/C that was only made for an SGT and no other car then I could definitely see doing that. I respect that it's a buisness, the people from ford racing and KB sat down with the Shelby folks and worked out a buisness deal ahead of time and marketed it in away where there S/C would be proped up as "official" for the car so as to allure SGT owners to their product more than others. I googled "Roush Supercharger on Shelby" and it took me to an article headlined "Roush and Ford Racing unveil new Ford Shelby GT 500 S/C" now isn't that interesting I don't know the micro details of this but I do know Roush, Ford Racing, and Shelby are in the same sentence. I put 20" black razors on my car, a black lower and upper grill, and dare I say I had the stripes removed from the back of the car and a......Roush three piece spoiler put on it with the stripes stopping at the end of the spoiler and the back of the car without the stripes just like a 427r and it looks awesome because with the 20's and being lowered with that spoiler it's sweet looking also had high flow cats put on to but my point is I bet some would think that was even wrong but IMO the Roush three piece just looks better than the GT500 spoiler so I put it on and love it!! Besides that I can get a Roush S/C put on my car (445hp at the crank) for $2,000 less than a ford racing!!

If you are about saving overall money than go for the Roush. This is the same problem we had before you are comparing oraples (apples and oranges). Lets see my whipple cost me just over $15.27 per hp, that is if I give it the conservative 550---even though they are putting out about 575hp ($14.60/hp this way) at the crank (since you put out crank numbers in your post). If I subtract $2k from my cost which included install at Tasca you with your 445hp come out to $16.62/hp...so go waste your money on a lesser hp item, miss out on the registery and pay more per hp.

:mail:

If you are about saving overall money than go for the Roush. This is the same problem we had before you are comparing oraples (apples and oranges). Lets see my whipple cost me just over $15.27 per hp, that is if I give it the conservative 550---even though they are putting out about 575hp ($14.60/hp this way) at the crank (since you put out crank numbers in your post). If I subtract $2k from my cost which included install at Tasca you with your 445hp come out to $16.62/hp...so go waste your money on a lesser hp item, miss out on the registery and pay more per hp.

:mail:

Man I didn't no Raymond Babbot had a Shelby. "How many toothpicks fell on the floor Ray?" :hysterical:

Archived