TEAM SHELBY FORUM

front licence plate

mkbehm

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WA, and OR require it. I told my dealer to NOT put it on. Hope I do not get a ticket. I wonder if this is inforced much. :ohsnap:

Rob, if you are asking someone to select between two states, and one of them is Oregon...how do you state it without being confusing? "Ok, would you rather live in OR OR CA?". That looks like a double OR.

It's kinda like a solar nightlight...just something not right about that. :redcard:

Dave

Rob, if you are asking someone to select between two states, and one of them is Oregon...how do you state it without being confusing? "Ok, would you rather live in OR OR CA?". That looks like a double OR.

It's kinda like a solar nightlight...just something not right about that. :redcard:

Dave

Alloy David

The very 1st thing that I would do is take my binky out of my pocket and offer it to them. Then I would get out my pocket map and show them on the map, so they would understand. Do you need to borrow my binky?

Minnesota requires a front plate also, my dealer refused to put the bracket on and advised me not to, they said if I just drove normal and did not attract too much attention that no one would even notice and if they did just tell them that there is no place to mount it. I think that will work, don’t you. (My wife still thinks I should slow down some) :burnout:

Venom, do you have any idea what the ticket is for not having a front tag in CO? Is it just a fix-it ticket, or is there a fine involved?

I guess I could ask by neighbor...he's a sherrif

RPRETZEL-

i spoke with a police officer in Parker who owns a GT500 and he did not get a front plate....

he told me that it was $30 fine and NOT a moving violation.

I'm gonna leave mine off.

Ohio requires the front license plate. I've been cited *and* fined for it, but it didn't improve my behavior. Sooner or later, maybe I'll get sick of court costs and things of that nature. However, until I do, I'd rather spend $80 on the fine, instead of hacking up a $400 front fascia. They can just love it.

Is Nebraska the only state that requires a plate on the front and back of the vehicle??? I've never seen a picture of a shelby w/ a front plate! Is there any pics out there or am I going to be the only one w/ a front plate?

Here is a link to a picture that I found. No plate but has the bracket. I dont like it.

e3_1.jpg

Chris

My wife's Mazda6 doesn't have the front plate bracket; she's been stopped three times as a result, but on each occasion just given a warning (she wants me to put the plate on--I keep stalling)(we live in Colorado--is CO a blue state now? Hope so). One trooper told her they don't make a big deal out of it, yet use no front plate as an excuse to pull people over to check for drinking, drugs, etc. (is that a red state tactic?). :spiteful:

Just know I loathe the idea of putting the front plate on--it doesn't look right to say the least!

CC

My wife's Mazda6 doesn't have the front plate bracket; she's been stopped three times as a result, but on each occasion just given a warning (she wants me to put the plate on--I keep stalling)(we live in Colorado--is CO a blue state now? Hope so). One trooper told her they don't make a big deal out of it, yet use no front plate as an excuse to pull people over to check for drinking, drugs, etc. (is that a red state tactic?). :spiteful:

Just know I loathe the idea of putting the front plate on--it doesn't look right to say the least!

CC

Let me guess. You are a Democrat.

Mine did not come with a bracket. California requires a front plate and the all of the police agencies in So. Cal now enforce the law hard because of the fuc%ing red light cameras that have sprouted up in almost every muncipality within Los Angeles county over the last 5 years or so. So in order to be complient, I went to the parts department to inquire about getting a mounting bracket, and when the parts manager located the bracket for the 500 in the parts system, there was a message that essentally stated: "NO BRACKET AVAILABLE. ADVISE CUSTOMER THAT LICENSE PLATE SHOULD BE MOUNTED DIRECTLY TO THE FRONT BUMPER COVER UTILIZING THE FACTORY MOUNTING DIMPLES MOLDED INTO THE BUMPER COVER".

Well I guess that's somewhat better than a large grey plastic mounting bracket hanging off of the front bumper, but after giving it some thought, I came up with a couple of different ideas that I think are better options that drilling into the bumper cover.

Velcro. Buy the large, two inch wide Velcro, stick one side onto the bumper cover and the other to the plate. Sure, having a piece of Velcro stuck on the front when the plate's not on may be ugly, but it's better than permanant holes in the cover. You can always peel the Velcro off of the bumper, clean the area with glue solvent, and you will never know it was ever there.

Vinyl cling-on wrap materal. This is the way I finally went. Go to your local sign company that specializes in that new Vinyl cling wrap that they are now putting on city busses etc. Have them make you a full color replica of your front plate (make a few just to have extras), clean the bumper nicely and just static cling the "plate" on to the bumper where it would normally go. The "plate" follows the lines of the bumper so it bends slightly to the left and right of the peak that is molded into the cover. Going to a car show? Peel it off and throw it in the trunk. Leaving the show? Simpley static cling it back on to the car and have a nice day.

Yes, I have had motor officers give me an odd look when they are driving towards me, but none have flipped a u-turn to write me a ticket. So far, so good. :happy feet:

Son of Gt

I think you have a good idea! Thanks for sharing

CC

CC:

Thank you and you are very welcome.

Vinyl cling-on wrap materal. This is the way I finally went. Go to your local sign company that specializes in that new Vinyl cling wrap that they are now putting on city busses etc. Have them make you a full color replica of your front plate (make a few just to have extras), clean the bumper nicely and just static cling the "plate" on to the bumper where it would normally go. The "plate" follows the lines of the bumper so it bends slightly to the left and right of the peak that is molded into the cover. Going to a car show? Peel it off and throw it in the trunk. Leaving the show? Simpley static cling it back on to the car and have a nice day.

Your vinyl cling-on idea sounds great. Could you post a photo of yours so we could get a peek at the application. Thanks.

cling-on?.... oh, you mean Klingon!!!!!

Scotty:

(in a fake scottish accent)

I'm givin her all we've got, captain.... she's gonna shake apart!

Kirk:

Scotty.... we need to put some distance between the shelby and the klingons..... go to warp factor 7!!!

Scotty:

(same bad accent)

are you sure, captain. i Cannot guarantee that we'll survive that!

Kirk:

then what the hell good are those signed shelby edition dilithium crystals we've installed if we can't use them?... go, Man!

To be continued......

and yes.... I am out of my meds. :hysterical::ohsnap:

is there a doctor in the house? :unsure: ..... Oh damn, I forgot... I AM a doctor! :nonono:

cling-on?.... oh, you mean Klingon!!!!!

Scotty:

(in a fake scottish accent)

I'm givin her all we've got, captain.... she's gonna shake apart!

Kirk:

Scotty.... we need to put some distance between the shelby and the klingons..... go to warp factor 7!!!

Scotty:

(same bad accent)

are you sure, captain. i Cannot guarantee that we'll survive that!

Kirk:

then what the hell good are those signed shelby edition dilithium crystals we've installed if we can't use them?... go, Man!

To be continued......

and yes.... I am out of my meds. :hysterical::ohsnap:

is there a doctor in the house? :unsure: ..... Oh damn, I forgot... I AM a doctor! :nonono:

Scotty:

Captain, I can't do it man. I need some time to repair the engines. Turn on the cloaking device to buy me some time.

Can a doctor write a perscription for his own meds. :headscratch:

Son ofG.T

Vinyl cling-on sounds like the answer .Will they stay on at 140 mph?

It stayed on at 141.5 MPH. Oh it stretched out a little, but it held on just fine. I'm joking about the stretching out thing, so far everything is just fine.

Is Nebraska the only state that requires a plate on the front and back of the vehicle??? I've never seen a picture of a shelby w/ a front plate! Is there any pics out there or am I going to be the only one w/ a front plate?

At the risk of bad press again, here is my Shelby, with front plate. Here in my area of Ontario they are looking for cars without the front plates, mostly the rice rockets, but non-the-less, I don't need the hassles, or the fines. So far, over 3000 km on the car, and I swear at least 1000 is from tire spin!! Kicking the back end out is just sooooo mucchhhh fun, I can't resist. Don't need any help getting into trouble... My thoughts, I can easily spend the money to repair or replace the bumper cover if the law is ever changed with the money saved from not paying fines, for the front plate at least. New plate is BITTEN07 with a slightly smoked plastic cover, so it doesn't jump out as much....

post-6785-1163395107_thumb.jpg

post-6785-1163395107_thumb.jpg

Archived