TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Blue Smoke On Cold Start

Ford just released a broadcast message on this issue: 2005-2010 MUSTANG 4.6 3V- BLUE SMOKE ON

COLD START..........."Some 2005-2010 mustang gt's equipped with 4.6L 3V engines may exhibit a puff

of blue smoke on startup without associated oil consumption complaint. This may be due to customer

drive pattern. Quick shutoff after start followed by a soak period, is a major contributor. Customers

should be advised to allow the vehicle to fully warm up prior to turning the key off to eliminate/reduce

the concern, and hat no repair is necessary."

I've noticed this myself after backing the car out of the garage, then re-starting after some time. It

seems the engine doesnt have sufficient time to completely reach optimum combustion chamber

efficiency, and residual fuel may be leftover unburnt, which then soaks the cyl's on the re-start.

May be a modular motor thing, as alot of cr. vics, e-series, & expeditions in our fleet at work also

do this. Maybe this pertains to the "puff of white smoke" thread a while back.

Good info mine does samre thing question does this mean after driving car we should also let idle, I usually just pull into garage in summer and switch off, comment and advise I must let my M3 idle before shut off Bruce

blue smoke is not fuel...its oil.

Gas engines:

Blue=oil.

white=water/coolant.

black=fuel.

I think that the white puff was water condensation, in our climate this tome of year I can warm my car up fully and still get steam out of exhaust, my truck with an aftermarket stainless exhaust system does the same. Summer they do not.

Blue puff...I was always taught was valve guides on a restart puff.

blue smoke is not fuel...its oil.

Gas engines:

Blue=oil.

white=water/coolant.

black=fuel.

I think that the white puff was water condensation, in our climate this tome of year I can warm my car up fully and still get steam out of exhaust, my truck with an aftermarket stainless exhaust system does the same. Summer they do not.

Blue puff...I was always taught was valve guides on a restart puff.

Fuel is oil. Whereas worn valve guides will allow oil into the cyl.'s, this is an issue on vehicles w/low

mileage. I'm not disputing the white smoke concern isnt condensation, just thought some might have

the "cold start/blue smoke"issue, and think it was more on the white side. Like I said, I myself

have experienced the concern, and wanted to pass along the Ford message.

Ford just released a broadcast message on this issue: 2005-2010 MUSTANG 4.6 3V- BLUE SMOKE ON

COLD START..........."Some 2005-2010 mustang gt's equipped with 4.6L 3V engines may exhibit a puff

of blue smoke on startup without associated oil consumption complaint. This may be due to customer

drive pattern. Quick shutoff after start followed by a soak period, is a major contributor. Customers

should be advised to allow the vehicle to fully warm up prior to turning the key off to eliminate/reduce

the concern, and hat no repair is necessary."

I've noticed this myself after backing the car out of the garage, then re-starting after some time. It

seems the engine doesnt have sufficient time to completely reach optimum combustion chamber

efficiency, and residual fuel may be leftover unburnt, which then soaks the cyl's on the re-start.

May be a modular motor thing, as alot of cr. vics, e-series, & expeditions in our fleet at work also

do this. Maybe this pertains to the "puff of white smoke" thread a while back.

This explanation is essentially what my Ford dealer told me last winter. I noticed puffs of blue smoke upon starts last winter when I would move the car or back it out to wash it outside in nicer weather (never drove it; just started and shut off). They told me it would go away when spring came and I got the car up to operating temperature before shutting it down – they were correct. So, this winter I have avoided any cold starts and shut down sequences.

Fuel is oil. Whereas worn valve guides will allow oil into the cyl.'s, this is an issue on vehicles w/low

mileage. I'm not disputing the white smoke concern isnt condensation, just thought some might have

the "cold start/blue smoke"issue, and think it was more on the white side. Like I said, I myself

have experienced the concern, and wanted to pass along the Ford message.

Thanks for passing it on...

IMHO, I just thought after reading your post that diesel is closer to "oil" than gas and its black smoke when too much diesel ("oil" as the diesel guys call it, no joke) is injected into a engine.

Unburned fuel is black (too rich). Oil that has entered the combustion chamber comes out as blue smoke. Thats all I have ever known and been taught and read.

I have no idea just relating what I know from wrenching on engines. Never seen a gas car with a stuck choke spewing blue smoke, its black.

But I am not a modular motor mechanic either. And I am not Ford.

So perhaps this is it. But it is not what I was taught. Seems like they have a batch of oil getting into the combustion chamber engines to me.

Thanks and I am not trying to be a tool, just relating my experiences as well...Cheers!

BTW I have seen the white smoke from mine but its usually coming out of the rear wheelwells... :hysterical:

Thanks for passing it on...

IMHO, I just thought after reading your post that diesel is closer to "oil" than gas and its black smoke when too much diesel ("oil" as the diesel guys call it, no joke) is injected into a engine.

Unburned fuel is black (too rich). Oil that has entered the combustion chamber comes out as blue smoke. Thats all I have ever known and been taught and read.

I have no idea just relating what I know from wrenching on engines. Never seen a gas car with a stuck choke spewing blue smoke, its black.

But I am not a modular motor mechanic either. And I am not Ford.

So perhaps this is it. But it is not what I was taught. Seems like they have a batch of oil getting into the combustion chamber engines to me.

Thanks and I am not trying to be a tool, just relating my experiences as well...Cheers!

BTW I have seen the white smoke from mine but its usually coming out of the rear wheelwells... :hysterical:

Definetly the best kind of white smoke!

I just pulled my SGT out of the garage for the first time since November - started her up and got a puff of blue smoke at start up also.

When I first got my SGT - the motor (seals/rings) were not 'broke in' and I would also get this puff of smoke at start up.

I've come to find that it's sorta normal - could have something to do with our custom FRPP tune also.

Excessive smoke however - not good. . . . . unless it's post pavement scortching, tire shredding, signatures in parking lots.

• 1 year later...

I would sure like to know more about this. Mine does it occasionally and it is a fairly big cloud of blue smoke. Looks just like what happens to an engine with worn or dried out valve guides, but it only does it occasionally. Perhaps it is fuel washing down the cylinder walls and then causing an oil cloud, but it doesn't seem that way.

Contrary to what others here have said, mine just did it today upon first start for the day. The last drive yesterday was a 60 mile jaunt through the country to view the changing leaves and then parked in the drive and idled for about 2 minutes while my wife and I talked for a second. Then shut off. Then today, smoke city.

Regardless of what anyone says, I can't believe this is acceptable.

Archived