TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I Really Love Dealerships

Imatk

My friend I hate to ruin your image of me but I hold both an MBA and a JD and am a Litigator at a large law firm. You're still not hearing me. I paid the ADM because I was under the impression that I would have something unique with very few cars being manufactured like the Ferrari I own...how do you turn that into investing...it is a mindset. I'd be happy to depose you on this site and we could really have some fun...keeping you in line and not distorting what IS BEING EXPRESSED HERE. Now go hide under a rock or a Chevy! BTW I'll bet you are a freakin car salesperson.....................

I love you, too, OneKR. And you'd be wrong about my profession.

Ferraris and Fords are a very poor comparison when the discussion turns to limited build quantities. I can't believe that as educated as you are, you did not distinguish between the application of the term "limited" to a Ford versus a Ferrari.

Ferraris mantra on limited production is to build one car short of the expected demand. Ford's take on limited production is more likely "we probably won't sell many of these, but in case we do, let's be ready to ramp up production and build 'em until there's extras sitting on every dealers' lot."

Sorry that your lesson in Ford's definition of "limited production" cost you so much money.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I called the number you gave me. I told the ESP person that I wanted to buy the plan but I wanted to make sure the plan would cover the parts in the TSB. This person was clueless, so I talked to another person and they didn't have a clue as to what a TSB even is. I was told to go online to see if the parts were covered. They just want to sell you the plan, period. Please try yourself and see what I am talking about. If you get satisfactory results, please give me the name and number and I will call them. I do want it in writing that the parts in our TSB will be covered. Thanks for your help.

When you buy an ESP (I suggest doing it at a nice dealership instead of over the phone or online), you can read a thorough list of everything that's covered in the plan you select. It won't say that TSB # so and so is covered, but it will say which components are covered. That's all you need. No ESP will cover the clutch lining, however.

I don't remember the exact statement; but, it I believe it was something close to "We will make them until everybody that want's one, has one."

That was a statement made by Hau Tai Tang (Mustang Team Leader) back in 2006 before production started. You are correct that Ford never said that they would limit production on the GT500's. Too bad OneKR wasn't spending more time on these forums then, as it may very well have saved him from paying an ADM on the incorrect assumption about exclusivity. There were many threads 3 years ago about people agonzing over whether to pay and ADM to guarantee getting an early GT500, or waiting it out for MSRP or better. We even had quite a lot of speculation about how many months or years it would take for ADM's to go away and when supply would catch up with demand. Wish you'd been there, OneKR.

Ford knows how to do limited production:

2000 Cobra R - 300 (http://www.fordperformancegroup.com/vehicles/?var2=0,1,2). They sell for about $50K now, which is about how much they were new.

2005 Ford GT - 2022 (http://www.fordperformancegroup.com/vehicles/?var2=0,5,0)

2006 Ford GT - 2011 (http://www.fordperformancegroup.com/vehicles/?var2=0,5,1)

The GT sells for about $165,000 now, which is about 10% more than MSRP new.

No need to compare it to Ferrari.

I do remember Ford declaring that they would build as many GT500s as they could sell. I bought with my eyes open and waited until I could buy without an ADM, but I now hope that Ford ends production sooner so that my car will hold its value better.

Ford knows how to do limited production:

2000 Cobra R - 300 (http://www.fordperformancegroup.com/vehicles/?var2=0,1,2). They sell for about $50K now, which is about how much they were new.

2005 Ford GT - 2022 (http://www.fordperformancegroup.com/vehicles/?var2=0,5,0)

2006 Ford GT - 2011 (http://www.fordperformancegroup.com/vehicles/?var2=0,5,1)

The GT sells for about $165,000 now, which is about 10% more than MSRP new.

No need to compare it to Ferrari.

I do remember Ford declaring that they would build as many GT500s as they could sell. I bought with my eyes open and waited until I could buy without an ADM, but I now hope that Ford ends production sooner so that my car will hold its value better.

You are 100% correct that Ford knows how to do a limited production car. All three Cobra R's (1993, 1995, and 2000) were set in stone. Ford GT wasn't really limited to the production #'s you mentioned. Ford intended to build GT's through 2007, but there was not sufficient demand, so they pulled the plug after 2006. I'm glad to hear that you remember Ford telling the world they'd build enough GT500's for anyone who wanted one.

Ford has been bit by a fickle supply & demand cycle for hot, new Mustangs, so it's truly tough to know what the market wants. Here's a couple Mustang examples that I know off the top of my head (I owned a couple of these)...

1999 Mustang GT 35th Anniversary. 6,000 planned, yet only 4,628 sold.

2000 Mustang Spring Featuer GT. 6,000 planned, yet only 3,901 sold.

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT. 6,500 planned, yet only 5,582 sold.

2003 Mustang Mach 1. 6,500 planned, yet demand forced nearly 10,000 of them plus a second model year (2004) for another 7K, or so.

Point here is that Ford never knows if a hot, new Mustang model will be a homerun (necessitating more production) or a ho-hum model that can't sell out. The GT500 was never touted by Ford as a limited production model. However, I bet a lot of dealers said it would be limited to cash in on ADM's early on.

You are 100% correct that Ford knows how to do a limited production car. All three Cobra R's (1993, 1995, and 2000) were set in stone. Ford GT wasn't really limited to the production #'s you mentioned. Ford intended to build GT's through 2007, but there was not sufficient demand, so they pulled the plug after 2006. I'm glad to hear that you remember Ford telling the world they'd build enough GT500's for anyone who wanted one.

Ford has been bit by a fickle supply & demand cycle for hot, new Mustangs, so it's truly tough to know what the market wants. Here's a couple Mustang examples that I know off the top of my head (I owned a couple of these)...

1999 Mustang GT 35th Anniversary. 6,000 planned, yet only 4,628 sold.

2000 Mustang Spring Featuer GT. 6,000 planned, yet only 3,901 sold.

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT. 6,500 planned, yet only 5,582 sold.

2003 Mustang Mach 1. 6,500 planned, yet demand forced nearly 10,000 of them plus a second model year (2004) for another 7K, or so.

Point here is that Ford never knows if a hot, new Mustang model will be a homerun (necessitating more production) or a ho-hum model that can't sell out. The GT500 was never touted by Ford as a limited production model. However, I bet a lot of dealers said it would be limited to cash in on ADM's early on.

You know the great thing about economics is that it works both ways. I always try and get my ROI. I've been looking at the KR and they are not moving. Unfortunately or fortunately with this economy it's going to start costing dealerships (the ones that are still open) flooring tax to keep these cars in inventory. If things keep going the way they are, I'll bet each and everyone of you who've wanted a KR will be able to get one below invoice...just watch and wait......

The GT500 was never touted by Ford as a limited production model.

My Ford Shelby GT500 special vehicle team certificate says my VIN is a LIMITED-EDITION, 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 etc. That's what i thought i bought.

This is all a mute point now...they are not selling cars and won't be for at least another year unless it's a Prius...Unfortunately all American car companies are in trouble along with the rest of the world. I say the Mustang goes away for awhile. Go to a showroom...it's really sad.

My friend I hate to ruin your image of me but I hold both an MBA and a JD and am a Litigator at a large law firm. You're still not hearing me. I paid the ADM because I was under the impression that I would have something unique with very few cars being manufactured like the Ferrari I own...how do you turn that into investing...it is a mindset. I'd be happy to depose you on this site and we could really have some fun...keeping you in line and not distorting what IS BEING EXPRESSED HERE. Now go hide under a rock or a Chevy! BTW I'll bet you are a freakin car salesperson.....................

Hey........................Go easy on the "car salesperson" shot Mr. MBA. A professional sales person in the auto industry can easily earn more than an atty. w/ an MBA while helping to support thousands of jobs in the industry. It is also well known that when a new car is sold, over $5,000.00 in state, local & federal taxes are generated. I wasn't able to complete my degree because of family obligations. However, the most important education I received was the advice my mother gave me when I was 16. "The key to a sucessful life is honesty, integrity & the ability to work harder & longer than the person standing next to you."

I doubt that was taught in law school.

This is all a mute point now...they are not selling cars and won't be for at least another year unless it's a Prius...Unfortunately all American car companies are in trouble along with the rest of the world. I say the Mustang goes away for awhile. Go to a showroom...it's really sad.

Ford is doing fairly well, and I've put my money where my mouth is. I bought a bunch of Ford stock a few weeks ago, fully knowing that Ford is already on the path to being better than ever. Wall Street apparently believes Ford is doing well, also, as Ford stock has gone up over 50% in the last couple weeks and is up over 100% from just a couple months ago!

Ford's warranty claims are down by 50% in last 2 years versus the 2 years prior, which were also better than prior years. Ford now offers as good - and often better quality vehicles than Toyota and Honda. And that's not my opinion, that's fact that you can read about via JD Power & Associate, Consumer Reports, and most any car magazine.

While I'm not a car salesman, I do work at a Ford Lincoln Mercury dealership. Like Toyota, we're selling Hybrids like crazy and are almost always sold out. The Escape & Mariner hybrids have been awesome sellers, and we've already pre-sold all the 2010 Fusion & Milan hybrids we've been allocated so far. Ford's hybrids are better than anyone else's. Read any car magazine in the last couple months that has tested the 2010 Fusion Hybrid for their opinion. Also, Ford has been selling hybrids since 2004 and had no recalls or problems. Toyota had to recall Priuses as they would just randomly stall leaving their owners stranded waiting for a tow truck. Plus, Toyota has had at least a half dozen technicians electrocuted to death while servicing Priuses. I have a friend who worked at Toyota for awhile and they were keeping that quiet so the media wouldn't find out. I have another long time friend who is an instructor for a well-knoen nationwide chain of repair stores and they've had issues with Japanese hybrids starting up while up on a rack (while in for repairs) and driving off the rack and falling to the garage floor! Ouch!

I can't believe that you are so bitter about your GT500 experience that you would hope that Mustang goes away for awhile. Proof positive that you are not a Mustang enthusiast and would be better off selling yours to someone who can appreciate it for what it is. Your attitude is the perfect stereotype for a Ferrari owner. Oh wait, you are a Ferrari owner. Feel free to keep looking down on the rest of us, but please do it elsewhere. Every post I've seen from you has been full of criticism and negativity. This is an enthusiast website, so if you have no enthusiasm, you don't belong here.

Hey........................Go easy on the "car salesperson" shot Mr. MBA. A professional sales person in the auto industry can easily earn more than an atty. w/ an MBA while helping to support thousands of jobs in the industry. It is also well known that when a new car is sold, over $5,000.00 in state, local & federal taxes are generated. I wasn't able to complete my degree because of family obligations. However, the most important education I received was the advice my mother gave me when I was 16. "The key to a sucessful life is honesty, integrity & the ability to work harder & longer than the person standing next to you."

Your mother is a very smart person & probably doesn`t have an MBA

I agree with you 100%. I sorry you took my comment the wrong way. I wasn't downplaying any profession. After all this is only how we put food on the table and has nothing to do with the quality of your life, spiritualy etc. Work is work is work...that's all. Now what I was saying is that if you were a car salesperson you might have a BIAS VIEW. That was it.

I agree with you 100%. I sorry you took my comment the wrong way. I wasn't downplaying any profession. After all this is only how we put food on the table and has nothing to do with the quality of your life, spiritualy etc. Work is work is work...that's all. Now what I was saying is that if you were a car salesperson you might have a BIAS VIEW. That was it.

Thanks for the clarity. I understand both sides of the fence. I have been in the auto industry over 20 years. Most dealerships have very honest & hard working people employeed. We all have our cross to bare in what ever industry we choose to work in. Unfortunately, a few bad apples can shine a bad light on the whole industry.

Gosh, you must be one of them ambulance chaser types that leeches off society. Ford announced the quantity of initial run of GT500's not the total forever. Your image was ruined due to your admission that you are an attorney. "I had the impression . . ." your impression is meaningless, you paid and gambled and you lost, get over yourself. I myself have a Ferrari and even though its numbers were limited, I couldn't expect it to hold its value . . . and it hasn't.

Brother you'd better wake up to the criminal acts of big business, because you may be the next person living on the street.

Yes, that from an attorney, our Government is run by and panders to attorneys, hence no "looser pays" or serious tort reform. Big businesses are there to make money and as a byproduct make things and employ people. Attorneys on the other hand . . .

leech1234463201.jpg

No one told him they were going to make an unlimited number of these cars. If I had known that I would have waited. They played hide the peanut...sleazebags!!!!!! You can only act on how the facts are presented to you and they (Ford) lied like hell. I am so tired of you people making excuses for criminals. I guess the pimps at AIG didn't have to take those million dollar bonuses either...but they did. Brother you'd better wake up to the criminal acts of big business, because you may be the next person living on the street.

Then tell us you had a choice to loose everything you had. People who talk like yu are the same ones who were eating"Bush" beans for the last eight years...one big FART!

No question, you have made a lot of controversial statements. I only hope your legal briefs are worded a little better than your posts. "People who talk like yu" is hardly a testament to higher education, MBA, high school or otherwise.

By the way, I will gladly accept your challenge to be 'deposed' on this site. That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on a forum. I guess when that doesn't work, you'll threaten to beat me up. Good lord, what makes you think people fear you?

By the way, I hold a high school diploma (on the first try!) and attained my JCD (junior college degree) in just three years. Depose away, lawyer boy.

You really shouldn't generalize like this. It's no better than me saying all Polish people are stupid or all Irish are drunks. I've been in and out of hundreds of dealerships throughout my years of working with dealers and I can honestly tell you I have seen well ran and poorly ran dealerships on both sides domestic and imports.

I wasen't "generalizing" I was telling you about my personal experiances, Audi and Acura dealerships that I have delt with have been far less stressful and far less "slezy" I guess is the best way to put it. I always felt like the ford delerships where tring to get one over on me.

Your education is impressive.

Your status as a Litigator at a large firm is impressive.

Your Ferrari ownership is also impressive.

I'm sure it follows then that your assertions must be correct, not just on this forum, but generally.

You deserve to be on a higher plane than that offered by those of us who use and enjoy this forum.

God's speed.

The most important education I received was the advice my mother gave me when I was 16. "The key to a sucessful life is honesty, integrity & the ability to work harder & longer than the person standing next to you."

The sad truth is that's rarely taught at all any more. And I'm willing to bet that's gotten you farther than any MBA, Doctorate or any other degree would of!

The sad truth is that's rarely taught at all any more. And I'm willing to bet that's gotten you farther than any MBA, Doctorate or any other degree would of!

Yes, Thanks, you are right about that. It has been the best advice I have ever been given. I think about it every day. Everything starts with a foundation. Mine is solid.

Archived