TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I Really Love Dealerships

Imatk

This morning reaffirmed my opinion on warranties, extended warranties, and Ford dealerships.

I first call the local dealership (I live in League City Texas) and talk to one of the service managers.

I tell him that I would like to have the clutch and flywheel TSB performed on my car since it's a known issue and a design flaw.

I explain that I have the TSB and that the flywheel has been re-designed as the one from the factory on my 2007 will warp over time.

He tells me to "bring it on in and we'll get it done."

I say, "Ok great, so you can do the TSB?"

"Sure, no problem, bring it on by first thing tomorrow morning and we'll get it done."

So... I wake up at 6 am get ready and drive over so that I'm there before they even open the doors. Myself and two other people were waiting.

They open the doors and I get to speak with the same guy I spoke to yesterday. I explain to him that I am the person who called about the GT500 and having the TSB done, tell him my name and everything.

He says, "Oh yeah, ok, well what issues are you having with the clutch?"

Now at this point I can feel my blood start to boil.

I say, "I'm not having any issues right now. When we spoke yesterday I told you that remember? I wanted to get the TSB done as a preventative measure. Remember?"

He says, "Oh well we can't work on the car unless you're having a problem."

I honestly could not believe what was coming out of his mouth... but at the same time I TOTALLY expected it.

I've owned a Mustang since 1991 and NOTHING has changed-- NOTHING. This is precisely why I NEVER worry about warranties, and I NEVER buy extended warranties.

For many years now I will ONLY take my Mustangs to a shop that specializes in Mustangs and I make sure I meet the person first and check out the shop before they even touch my car. I do this, and have done this, because dealership service departments either don't listen, don't care, or don't know what the hell they're doing... or they give you a hard enough time that it isn't worth the hassle to get them to perform warranty work.

This dealership is no different.

After he said those words, I thanked him and walked out, knowing that NOTHING has changed in the last seventeen years.

I then called Lone Star Ford because someone here suggested them. I spoke with a guy on the phone and it was more of the same... except this time he didn't even bother to listen at all.

He said the same thing, "Bring it on in."

Except, thankfully for me, he said, "We'll check it out and give you an estimate of the cost."

ESTIMATE OF THE COST!

I AGAIN repeated myself by explaining that it's a TSB and that it is a known issue covered under warranty.

I told him I wasn't having any issues and wanted to get it done to prevent any further damage.

He asked if the car was drivable...

(Yes he really asked this)

I AGAIN said, "Yes the car is fine, I just would like to get the TSB done as a preventative measure."

He said, "Bring it down and we'll check it out and if there's no signs of abuse then we can fix it under warranty."

Do you think I took it to them?

No... I'll keep driving my car and I'm sure at some point the issue will crop up after my warranty expires then I'll take it to Patrick at PSI who I actually trust and I'll have to pay for it out of my own pocket, which is exactly why the service departments do what they do... so that people will give up and go away.

Good job Ford... you've trained them well.

EDIT... If anyone DOES know of a dealership in Houston that will do the TSB as a preventative measure I would appreciate you letting me know... although I won't hold my breath or anything ;)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here recently my wife's company has stopped buying FORD diesels (and nearly FORDS altogether) because of the warranty problems. They have - that I know of - so far refused about $50k of warranty work on 2007 and 2009 trucks for BS reasons. There is one 2007 f350 sitting in their yard right now with a $20k paperweight for a motor that was refused for "bad fuel" even though the fuel was drained and there are no problems. Their mechanic is constantly replacing the injectors on those trucks because of the horrible design of using motor oil as hydraulic oil.

This morning reaffirmed my opinion on warranties, extended warranties, and Ford dealerships.

I first call the local dealership (I live in League City Texas) and talk to one of the service managers.

I tell him that I would like to have the clutch and flywheel TSB performed on my car since it's a known issue and a design flaw.

I explain that I have the TSB and that the flywheel has been re-designed as the one from the factory on my 2007 will warp over time.

"Sure, no problem, bring it on by first thing tomorrow morning and we'll get it done."

So... I wake up at 6 am get ready and drive over so that I'm there before they even open the doors. Myself and two other people were waiting.

They open the doors and I get to speak with the same guy I spoke to yesterday. I explain to him that I am the person who called about the GT500 and having the TSB done, tell him my name and everything.

I say, "I'm not having any issues right now. When we spoke yesterday I told you that remember? I wanted to get the TSB done as a preventative measure. Remember?"

I honestly could not believe what was coming out of his mouth... but at the same time I TOTALLY expected it.

I've owned a Mustang since 1991 and NOTHING has changed-- NOTHING. This is precisely why I NEVER worry about warranties, and I NEVER buy extended warranties.

For many years now I will ONLY take my Mustangs to a shop that specializes in Mustangs and I make sure I meet the person first and check out the shop before they even touch my car. I do this, and have done this, because dealership service departments either don't listen, don't care, or don't know what the hell they're doing... or they give you a hard enough time that it isn't worth the hassle to get them to perform warranty work.

After he said those words, I thanked him and walked out, knowing that NOTHING has changed in the last seventeen years.

I then called Lone Star Ford because someone here suggested them. I spoke with a guy on the phone and it was more of the same... except this time he didn't even bother to listen at all.

Except, thankfully for me, he said, "We'll check it out and give you an estimate of the cost."

ESTIMATE OF THE COST!

I AGAIN repeated myself by explaining that it's a TSB and that it is a known issue covered under warranty.

I told him I wasn't having any issues and wanted to get it done to prevent any further damage.

I AGAIN said, "Yes the car is fine, I just would like to get the TSB done as a preventative measure."

He said, "Bring it down and we'll check it out and if there's no signs of abuse then we can fix it under warranty."

No... I'll keep driving my car and I'm sure at some point the issue will crop up after my warranty expires then I'll take it to Patrick at PSI who I actually trust and I'll have to pay for it out of my own pocket, which is exactly why the service departments do what they do... so that people will give up and go away.

EDIT... If anyone DOES know of a dealership in Houston that will do the TSB as a preventative measure I would appreciate you letting me know... although I won't hold my breath or anything ;)

when I took mine in for the TSB I got a hold of the TSB and just parroted the symptoms from the TSB to the service adviser. after 6 weeks and 2 shots at fixing I got my car back.

I'm convinced that dealerships (and poorly trained or untrainable personnel) are a large part of the problem that's led to Ford, Chrysler and GMs's issues. I have never had a problem with Honda dealers and have owned 3. Having said that, so far my Ford dealer in Hartford has been good (purchased my '06 Expedition there, and they have worked on my Shelby GT).

AGREED!!! Ford dealerships are terriable!! IF I diden't love mustang so much I would never set foor in one. My wife has an Acura MDX and that buying process was night and day compared to a Ford dealership. For instance the Ford dealership would not tell me what the intrest rate would be on my car, just the monthly payment, then they diden't pay off my trade in for 2 months, finally they gave me the wrong VIN number for my car the first time so i had to come back in a fill out the paperwork again... AFTER I ORDERED MY SHELBY SIGNED PLAQUE!!!! which I had to cancel and reorder at a $40 coast to myself. I went to Medved Ford in Castle Rock Co NEVER GO THERE. I got a great deal on my car but these guy are clowns.

I'm convinced that dealerships (and poorly trained or untrainable personnel) are a large part of the problem that's led to Ford, Chrysler and GMs's issues. I have never had a problem with Honda dealers and have owned 3. Having said that, so far my Ford dealer in Hartford has been good (purchased my '06 Expedition there, and they have worked on my Shelby GT).

OMG you have a Honda. Un-American, Un-American. You can't say Honda on a Shelby site.

J/k .......My honda runs good too...

so does my toyota.

sorry.

Flame suit on.

OMG you have a Honda. Un-American, Un-American. You can't say Honda on a Shelby site.

J/k .......My honda runs good too...

so does my toyota.

sorry.

Flame suit on.

Don't worry- I too have a Toyota and the car buying experience was night and day compared to a local Ford dealer which they scratched my bottom fender while trying to get it on a ramp for a oil change, anyways, some Ford dealerships are just not with the times.

In one dealer's defense I must say World Ford kendall have treated me right in the service department.

Toyota anyone? :hysterical:

DSC04353.jpg

You are shooting yourself in the foot by stating that you want it done as a preventative measure. A TSB is an issue that can only be performed if the customer complains of it AND the issue is present, every car company does that.

You may be able to get away with just going in and stating that your car is hard to shift and your clutch is chattering. For some dealers that's all they need to hear.

Honestly its frustrating to see you complaining about this when nothing (at this time) is wrong with your car. I've seen countless GT500s and not all of them have clutch issues, which is why this is a TSB. I do agree that there is something wrong with the clutch design and you may someday need a new one as well as a new input shaft, but you stated yourself there is nothing wrong right now.

I do empathize with you about dealing with an idiot that says "sure come on down" and then fails to do what he said he would, that sucks and the guy should be reprimanded for it. I can see how you would have gotten angry.

But seriously, you have a fantastic vehicle, go and enjoy it. When the clutch and transmission start to act up proceed to the dealer of your choice and have it fixed.

Colin Sebern

Griggs Racing

In light of the current financial situation of the big 3, I think you'd be hard pressed to find any dealer, regardless of brand, that can competently fix a problem the first time. Remember when they were called "mechanics" and they would actually get in the car with you so you could drive it and demonstrate the problems you were having. Any time I have a car fixed at any repair shop, when they call me and tell me it's done, the first question I ask is, "did you drive it?" If not, go do so now and then call me back. Sometimes I even circle the block, come back and get the "technician" to ride along with me. Then we generally get it fixed.....

Good luck!

blkGT500nCA...what lift do you have? Nice ride by the way- the FJ is actually my wife's car but when kids come along that sucker is mine!!!!

3'' lift. Blocks under leaf springs, and new struts and springs in the front. thanks.

Back to topic. Yeah, unfortunately you've got to fib a little. I used, " Sometimes it's hard to shift above 6000rpms in 4th gear." They took my word for it.

good luck

You are shooting yourself in the foot by stating that you want it done as a preventative measure. A TSB is an issue that can only be performed if the customer complains of it AND the issue is present, every car company does that.

You may be able to get away with just going in and stating that your car is hard to shift and your clutch is chattering. For some dealers that's all they need to hear.

Honestly its frustrating to see you complaining about this when nothing (at this time) is wrong with your car. I've seen countless GT500s and not all of them have clutch issues, which is why this is a TSB. I do agree that there is something wrong with the clutch design and you may someday need a new one as well as a new input shaft, but you stated yourself there is nothing wrong right now.

I do empathize with you about dealing with an idiot that says "sure come on down" and then fails to do what he said he would, that sucks and the guy should be reprimanded for it. I can see how you would have gotten angry.

But seriously, you have a fantastic vehicle, go and enjoy it. When the clutch and transmission start to act up proceed to the dealer of your choice and have it fixed.

Colin Sebern

Griggs Racing

I'm not complaining about my car, my car is great and I am enjoying it. I want to make sure I don't damage the transmission by waiting to get the new flywheel which was obviously re-designed by Ford because it is an issue, otherwise why would they have re-designed it and put out a TSB?

What I'm complaining about is the fact that the dealership couldn't be bothered to tell me ON THE PHONE that they wouldn't perform the TSB without my having some type of problem.

I understand what a TSB is and I know it's provided for the dealerships to help them diagnose problems. If it were a recall (which IMO it should be) then it wouldn't be an issue.

But either way there are two reasons I want to get it done now as opposed to waiting:

1. And this is the most important one to ME, I want to do it so that the rest of my transmission doesn't suffer down the road as others have suffered... having to replace synchros etc. etc. and in some cases having to replace the WHOLE transmission.

2. I don't want to wait until my warantee runs out. So that when my flywheel fails I have to pay for it out of pocket.

So, sue me for wanting to nip a known problem in the bud.

And if you don't think dealerships deny warranty work for ridiculous reasons I would submit that you haven't spent enough time trying to get them to perform warantee work.

The last time I went to my dealership to get something fixed under warantee was for my GT, this was about two years ago. The small metal clip on the back of the brake caliper had come off and caused the brake pads to "click" every time the brake was applied.

I took it in because I didn't know what it was, and stupidly thought they would just look into it. Of course it was like pulling friggin teeth to get them to even ADMIT that there was a noise. Once they did, they did in fact fix it. But had I known what the problem was I would have just fixed it myself by buying a new set of brake pads for 40 bucks... it would have TOTALLY been worth 40 bucks to not have to wrestle with the dealership.

EDIT: and yes I did shoot myself in the foot for saying there wasn't a problem. I told him up front there wasn't a problem... I guess I'm too honest?

I'm not complaining about my car, my car is great and I am enjoying it. I want to make sure I don't damage the transmission by waiting to get the new flywheel which was obviously re-designed by Ford because it is an issue, otherwise why would they have re-designed it and put out a TSB?

That right there says it all, sorry. Its a tsb not a recall if in fact it was recall then you would be able to do what you are looking to do. I am not taking Fords side here just the fact that it is not a recall, should there be? Not for me to say but if you look at my sig and with my mods, I have a three diferent dealers lined up that will cover it if I have any issues with my trans but as of now I do not. So really you need to get in good with a dealership and that may change everything for you. Good luck

Please don't misunderstand me, I admire your honesty and completely agree with you about the dealer not living up to what they say will do.

You should know that TR-6060 transmission is an extremely strong unit, by far the best 6-speed ever from Tremec. The chances of any damage being inflicted to the transmission from the clutch (besides the input shaft) is very unlikely.

Please don't misunderstand me, I admire your honesty and completely agree with you about the dealer not living up to what they say will do.

You should know that TR-6060 transmission is an extremely strong unit, by far the best 6-speed ever from Tremec. The chances of any damage being inflicted to the transmission from the clutch (besides the input shaft) is very unlikely.

Thanks man :)

That's actually very good to hear. I had read that others with the flywheel issue had pretty much lost their transmission because of it. I just want to avoid having that happen.

Thanks man :)

That's actually very good to hear. I had read that others with the flywheel issue had pretty much lost their transmission because of it. I just want to avoid having that happen.

syncro damage occurs if you experience shift resistance over time.....the tranny repair part of the tsb is to take care of that.......I am sure that is primarily when the clutch is getting very hung up versus a little drag.

I have the original setup, and then had a partial tsb done (new style tranny, grease the shaft, and the original versions of the clutch and flywheel - new flywheel had not yet been released). Mine shifts nice and smooth and I am careful to avoid too much clutch slippage.

I would say drive and enjoy, but stay vigilant for symptoms........and avoid situations that these cars were not made for, such as a lot of traffic jams and driving in parades, both good ways to overheat the clutch and flywheel.

and in a few years, just go ahead and put in a clutch and flywheel that is better than the ford.

I have a good one. I took my 07 GT500 in 3 weeks ago tomorrow.

Explained that I am experiencing a hard shift or "crunch" from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.

Also explained to the service writer my knowledge of the TSB ( thanks Grabbr ).

He takes me into the shop to meet his best line tech. Very nice guy, and extremely clean ( himself and his work station ). We go out for a test drive in my car, the tech drives, says he feels the crunch into 2nd and 3rd.

We get back to the dealership and he asks the service writer what the TSB says and supposedly gets a copy of it.

Tells me he has to go through Ford for approval on this first and reccomends a new tranny as opposed to opening and rebuilding the existing one.

I told him I was concerned about having matching #s and would want to keep the old tranny. Again, need Fords approval. OK, I'll wait.

I actually had to call the dealer today to find out what was going on. Ford's response was to re-build the tranny.

No mention of doing the TSB. Supposedly this went through some "hot line", and I can't put in another request for a couple of months as the vehicle is flagged and they will only re-build the tranny.

Going to call the other Ford dealer tommorrow. A friend of mine introduced me to one of the service writers there and he seems to be somewhat knowledgeable.

Is the crunch into 2nd and 3rd part of the TSB??

From what I have read, it seems to be.

Colin Sebern

Griggs Racing

I have a 2007 that could have the TSB concerns, but my clutch/transmission shifts very well. It is likely that this simply did not affect all cars, hence the action only when problems are encountered. I know my roof on my house is going to fail eventually, but I will wait until it leaks before preventatively paying for a new roof. Recalls are generally safety-related (engine fires, improper air bag deployment, etc), but many mechanical issues are only addressed through TSBs when actual problems occur. We run a dealership and perform warranty work on all new vehicles we sell and many that we did not sell. We always try to duplicate/verify a mechanical problem before performing a repair. Simply "parroting" the symptoms that are read from a TSB is, in my opinion, dishonest at best. In lieu of an actual problem, replacing known good parts with other newly designed replacement parts is simply not realistic. Manufacturers redesign replacement and production parts constantly, but this does not mean they are going to retro-fit these newly designed parts onto everyone's car. I agree with Colin that this clutch/flywheel issue will rear its head well before it causes transmission damage.

If the car has a legitimate warranty problem, and Ford or any other manufacturer refuses to step up, then we have a problem.

AGREED!!! Ford dealerships are terriable!! IF I diden't love mustang so much I would never set foor in one. My wife has an Acura MDX and that buying process was night and day compared to a Ford dealership. For instance the Ford dealership would not tell me what the intrest rate would be on my car, just the monthly payment, then they diden't pay off my trade in for 2 months, finally they gave me the wrong VIN number for my car the first time so i had to come back in a fill out the paperwork again... AFTER I ORDERED MY SHELBY SIGNED PLAQUE!!!! which I had to cancel and reorder at a $40 coast to myself. I went to Medved Ford in Castle Rock Co NEVER GO THERE. I got a great deal on my car but these guy are clowns.

The problems with dealers isn't the brand they sell, it's the dealership themselves.

Don't worry- I too have a Toyota and the car buying experience was night and day compared to a local Ford dealer which they scratched my bottom fender while trying to get it on a ramp for a oil change, anyways, some Ford dealerships are just not with the times.

In one dealer's defense I must say World Ford kendall have treated me right in the service department.

Toyota anyone? :hysterical:

DSC04353.jpg

Speaking of scratches, my wife's car is an MDX, when we went pick up the car after it's 1st free oil change (against my better judgement, but my wife insisted because it was free) it had a huge scratch & dent in the rear quarter panel. The service advisor told us she was unaware of the damage, had we not checked it out before we left, they probably would not have fixed it.

Then when we went to pick it up after that repair, when they backed it out of the garage, they damaged the bumper & the other rear quarter, and the inside of the car (tan leather) was covered with black dust from sanding. At least they called and told us before we picked it up.

So don't ban the brand, ban the dealer.

I agree with the others comments. If there isn't a problem, the dealer cannot fix it and expect to get reimbursed from ford.

I understand your concern as well, it is an expensive repair, but drive it until it shows the symptoms. You need to build a relationship with a dealer, it will help a lot.

I have a 2007 that could have the TSB concerns, but my clutch/transmission shifts very well. It is likely that this simply did not affect all cars, hence the action only when problems are encountered. I know my roof on my house is going to fail eventually, but I will wait until it leaks before preventatively paying for a new roof. Recalls are generally safety-related (engine fires, improper air bag deployment, etc), but many mechanical issues are only addressed through TSBs when actual problems occur. We run a dealership and perform warranty work on all new vehicles we sell and many that we did not sell. We always try to duplicate/verify a mechanical problem before performing a repair. Simply "parroting" the symptoms that are read from a TSB is, in my opinion, dishonest at best. In lieu of an actual problem, replacing known good parts with other newly designed replacement parts is simply not realistic. Manufacturers redesign replacement and production parts constantly, but this does not mean they are going to retro-fit these newly designed parts onto everyone's car. I agree with Colin that this clutch/flywheel issue will rear its head well before it causes transmission damage.

If the car has a legitimate warranty problem, and Ford or any other manufacturer refuses to step up, then we have a problem.

portside, i am with you on this one. my 07 has 17,600 miles since i picked it up on 9/8/2006(early build 8/15/06). clutch appears to be fine at ths point. i have notified the dealer about the tsb and they have assured me that if the clutch goes or i experience severe chatter, abnormal clutch hiss, etc...that they will perform the tsb. so i have taken the approach to drive the car, enjoy it and try not to worry about it too much. if the clutch goes it goes and i will take it in then. call me polyanna, but i believe ford will make it right if and when the time comes. for now, i will drive it like i stole it.

No, what is dishonest is to SELL this car to the customer with a KNOWN design FLAW that will eventually rear its head. I have 2,000 miles on my car and never have raced it, yet I have the clutch hiss. I will not wait to be stranded on the side of the road while on a road trip in 100 degree weather attempting to get my car into gear. I paid 40 grand for this car, and it damn well will work correctly and I will not for a minute accept that "oh, it's ok, just bring it in when you have a problem." NEGATIVE. This car will be fixed now, and if I have to LIE to get it fixed because dealerships aren't living up to their responsibility to fix problems or potential problems before they occur, then so be it. Don't call me dishonest; look in the mirror and at the products you are selling.

ESTIMATE OF THE COST!

Sir, are you kidding me...you haven't learned yet even after paying the high markups on these cars. Get smart go into the dealer and tell them it grinds when shifting. PLAY THEIR GAME...please tell me you do understand this. Good luck!

No, what is dishonest is to SELL this car to the customer with a KNOWN design FLAW that will eventually rear its head. I have 2,000 miles on my car and never have raced it, yet I have the clutch hiss. I will not wait to be stranded on the side of the road while on a road trip in 100 degree weather attempting to get my car into gear. I paid 40 grand for this car, and it damn well will work correctly and I will not for a minute accept that "oh, it's ok, just bring it in when you have a problem." NEGATIVE. This car will be fixed now, and if I have to LIE to get it fixed because dealerships aren't living up to their responsibility to fix problems or potential problems before they occur, then so be it. Don't call me dishonest; look in the mirror and at the products you are selling.

In other words, your car does not have a problem, but they're gonna by-god give you a new clutch or else. Good luck getting Ford, Sears, or anyone else to help you with that attitude. By the way, Dude, I am not a Ford dealer, and I have no issues looking in the mirror. Lying is dishonest, even if you are personally OK with lying.

Sir, are you kidding me...you haven't learned yet even after paying the high markups on these cars. Get smart go into the dealer and tell them it grinds when shifting. PLAY THEIR GAME...please tell me you do understand this. Good luck!

I hear ya... I probably should have done that but I was trying to do the "right" thing.

Although I didn't, and have never BTW, paid a markup on a car.

I bought mine about a month ago "used" with 37 miles on the clok ;)

Hate to say it, but the dealer is correct. TSBs are not recalls. You have to be experiencing the documented issue before a repair will be authorized by Ford.

^^^ What he said.

In other words, your car does not have a problem, but they're gonna by-god give you a new clutch or else. Good luck getting Ford, Sears, or anyone else to help you with that attitude. By the way, Dude, I am not a Ford dealer, and I have no issues looking in the mirror. Lying is dishonest, even if you are personally OK with lying.

I do not consider this lying if you know that this will be the issue in the future if it's not handled today. Even the dealers have to have a business case for the repairs to provide Ford with to get the work done. What you are doing is saying "I think my paint is going to fade so will you repaint the car today"...the only difference is that you WILL have these problems down the road if not handled now..it will be on your dime (if we still have dimes(-:. Good luck, just trying to help you.

I do not consider this lying if you know that this will be the issue in the future if it's not handled today. Even the dealers have to have a business case for the repairs to provide Ford with to get the work done. What you are doing is saying "I think my paint is going to fade so will you repaint the car today"...the only difference is that you WILL have these problems down the road if not handled now..it will be on your dime (if we still have dimes(-:. Good luck, just trying to help you.

To be honest with you, I am not sure what you just said to me, but here goes. People have been parsing up the word 'lying' ever since the first guy got caught lying. If you tell a dealer your car has a problem that it does not have, you are lying, right? If lying about a non-existent problem is not lying, then what is it?

I guess you're telling me if you or awwbud sold your car to guy, you would put a new clutch and flywheel in it just in case it might fail in the future? Right...

Every clutch I have ever replaced has been on my dime.

Suffice it to say that we disagree, and let's leave it at that.

Archived