TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby center gauge cluster

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL man I don't know what my deal is with this! Sorry for the delay..again. I keep forgetting. I'll grab some asap, I promise. :)

Good call on the AFR gauge. I like the looks of those a lot and the function seems awfully useful too. Thanks for the good idea greaser.

Ken

no prob ken if i had the cash my car would be a twin to youres i love the build youre doing and look forward to youre posts.

Has anyone installed this gauge cluster themselves, especially those with NA SGT's?

If so, how difficult is the install? Any DIY's out there that I'm not finding?

I really like the look of the gauges and just realized that SPP offers a center cluster kit without the boost gauge.

Any info is much appreciated. :)

Ken

EDIT: Did the Nor-Cal cars come with this cluster or am I remembering incorrectly?

100944.jpg

EDIT:::::::

Mine does not have a BOOST gauge though...its oil temperature, oil pressure and fuel pressure.

Mine came with it, purchased in Nor Cal and they are the worst gauges I've ever seen. The needles bounce around like bumblebees, the needle of my fuel pressure gauge bounces so hard it gets stuck pinned to to the top at 100 half the time. The Oil temperature gauge is calibrated so high you'd have to be racing in 100 degree weather before it even moves. And to top it off, the whole damn thing is just velcro'd to the dashboard. It looks nice though :)

Mine came with it, and they are the worst gauges I've ever seen. The needles bounce around like bumblebees, the needle of my fuel pressure gauge bounces so hard it gets stuck pinned to to the top at 100 half the time. The Oil temperature gauge is calibrated so high you'd have to be racing in 100 degree weather before it even moves. And to top it off, the whole damn thing is just velcro'd to the dashboard. It looks nice though :)

Are you sure they are hooked up correct, mine work perfect.

Mine came with it, and they are the worst gauges I've ever seen. The needles bounce around like bumblebees, the needle of my fuel pressure gauge bounces so hard it gets stuck pinned to to the top at 100 half the time. The Oil temperature gauge is calibrated so high you'd have to be racing in 100 degree weather before it even moves. And to top it off, the whole damn thing is just velcro'd to the dashboard. It looks nice though :)

My fuel pressure gauge moves a lot, but according to how much throttle I'm giving it. It never gets stuck however.

The oil temp gauge only moves if I'm in traffic on the freeway (so about 4 days a week!) or out on the track.

Greaser suggested 3M tape awhile back and it worked out great. I wasn't a fan of the velcro myself.

Ken

i just wish they used gauges that didn't bounce so much. Oil temp is usually around ambient temperature unless your running the car pretty hard or its obscenely hot outside. So when the bottom number on your Oil Temp guage is 120 F...its kinda useless most of the time for daily driving. Not a huge complaint, but i look at the gauge cluster more for aesthetics.

• 5 months later...

I'm thinking about getting this gauge pod and putting the Autometer Nexus gauges. Not too crazy about the carbon fiber ones. Plus w/ the Nexus you can change the colors too.

Has anyone installed this gauge cluster themselves, especially those with NA SGT's?

If so, how difficult is the install? Any DIY's out there that I'm not finding?

I really like the look of the gauges and just realized that SPP offers a center cluster kit without the boost gauge.

Any info is much appreciated. :)

Ken

EDIT: Did the Nor-Cal cars come with this cluster or am I remembering incorrectly?

100944.jpg

^ The only part about this pod I didn't like before ripping it out and selling it recently was that the pod itself didn't sit flush with the dash.

If I were to install another dash pod, I wouldn't install this Shelby pod again. I loved the gauges themselves and I really liked the look of it on the whole, except for what I already mentioned. If you're lucky enough to get a pod from them that's formed correctly, then you ought to be very happy with it. I wasn't.

Ken

I'm thinking about getting this gauge pod and putting the Autometer Nexus gauges. Not too crazy about the carbon fiber ones. Plus w/ the Nexus you can change the colors too.

I am doing the same. I purchase the Gauge Pod without holes, then made my own 2 1/16" holes for the Nexus gauges.

The SOS triple gage pod set up is streamlined, matches the dash, gages slightly angle and looks like what should have been designed in the first place. I used Auto Meter Cobalt gages and the blue color will match the car gage color when changed to blue. I always thought the Shelby one was bulky, did not fit perfect and regardless if you can see the gages, they should be slightly angled to the driver.

• 4 months later...

The SOS triple gage pod set up is streamlined, matches the dash, gages slightly angle and looks like what should have been designed in the first place. I used Auto Meter Cobalt gages and the blue color will match the car gage color when changed to blue. I always thought the Shelby one was bulky, did not fit perfect and regardless if you can see the gages, they should be slightly angled to the driver.

I have the Shelby gauge pod and autometer gauges. Everything seems to work ok but i do agree that the gauge pod does need about a 30 degree turn toward the driver.

• 2 months later...

I have the Shelby gauge pod and autometer gauges. Everything seems to work ok but i do agree that the gauge pod does need about a 30 degree turn toward the driver.

Has anyone else tackled this lately, i get my gt500 next week and would like to add this pod, i have done many of these in the past but was looking to see overall if those of you who have it are happy with it.

They light up. They also come with red and green bulb "filters" (covers) but I left them off and just have the white background light.

How do you change the bulbs (color) on the Shelby gauges?

Thanks,

Russ

I'm kind of at the tail end of my DIY install, (in conjunction with supercharger), and so far so good:

gallery_13043_1123_5321.jpg

You have to be a contortionist to get under the dash, but other than that, the install has been straight forward.

My gauges came pre-installed/pre-wired, bulb color is white as I did not receive any of the color changing filters.

In order to change the bulb/filters, you "unstick" the pod from the dash, (it's held on with velcro or 3m tape), reach behind the individual gauges, and then give the bulb holder a 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Out comes the bulb for changing or filter install.

Will know more as I complete the install of the gauges/supercharger.

Sam

• 7 months later...

I'm kind of at the tail end of my DIY install, (in conjunction with supercharger), and so far so good:

gallery_13043_1123_5321.jpg

You have to be a contortionist to get under the dash, but other than that, the install has been straight forward.

My gauges came pre-installed/pre-wired, bulb color is white as I did not receive any of the color changing filters.

In order to change the bulb/filters, you "unstick" the pod from the dash, (it's held on with velcro or 3m tape), reach behind the individual gauges, and then give the bulb holder a 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Out comes the bulb for changing or filter install.

Will know more as I complete the install of the gauges/supercharger.

Sam

Hey Sam... what did you end up thinking of the install? I really wanted this look for a while now, but never saw it up close. If it's not a really good fit, I'm inclined to just do the SOS pods. Even though I REALLY wanted this original Shelby look.

Hey Sam... what did you end up thinking of the install? I really wanted this look for a while now, but never saw it up close. If it's not a really good fit, I'm inclined to just do the SOS pods. Even though I REALLY wanted this original Shelby look.

Overall, I'm very pleased with how it came out and how it makes the entire dash look more purposeful! I suppose I'd like the pod to fit a tiny bit tighter along the edges, but since it has to be held on with velcro, (necessary to replace bulbs or for maintenance), I don't think you could make the tolerances any closer. The wire for the oil pressure sending unit was to short for the suggested routing, but I just spliced in a longer piece and it's fine.

The install was pretty easy, except I kept finding the wrong power wire to tap into under the dash! (Three tries before I hit the right one - several wires in the harness are very close in color!) Also, it really helped to have an extra set of hands when pulling the wire through the firewall!

There's been no issues with the gauges, all function as designed and are very easy to read. (someone mentioned having them tilt towards the driver, but this isn't necessary) One unusual item is the fuel pressure gauge - when you shut down, it doesn't drop to zero, it just holds whatever the last reading was. You can get it to drop to zero if you quickly turn the key on and off, but this frozen reading seems to be normal judging from the other installs I've seen

They look really cool, especially at night! They really draw eyeballs from anyone pulling up from behind or alongside!

It's a great mod that I highly recommend!

Sam

Overall, I'm very pleased with how it came out and how it makes the entire dash look more purposeful! I suppose I'd like the pod to fit a tiny bit tighter along the edges, but since it has to be held on with velcro, (necessary to replace bulbs or for maintenance), I don't think you could make the tolerances any closer. The wire for the oil pressure sending unit was to short for the suggested routing, but I just spliced in a longer piece and it's fine.

The install was pretty easy, except I kept finding the wrong power wire to tap into under the dash! (Three tries before I hit the right one - several wires in the harness are very close in color!) Also, it really helped to have an extra set of hands when pulling the wire through the firewall!

There's been no issues with the gauges, all function as designed and are very easy to read. (someone mentioned having them tilt towards the driver, but this isn't necessary) One unusual item is the fuel pressure gauge - when you shut down, it doesn't drop to zero, it just holds whatever the last reading was. You can get it to drop to zero if you quickly turn the key on and off, but this frozen reading seems to be normal judging from the other installs I've seen

They look really cool, especially at night! They really draw eyeballs from anyone pulling up from behind or alongside!

It's a great mod that I highly recommend!

Sam

Thanks for the comments. So did you buy everything from SPP? If so, what all was it that you purchased (so I know what all to get).

Thanks for the comments. So did you buy everything from SPP? If so, what all was it that you purchased (so I know what all to get).

Yep, everything from SPP!

First - are you already or are you planning to supercharge? I knew I was going to supercharge, so that's the version I purchased, though you can get the normally aspirated version if your going that route.

Second - build your own or purchase the pre-built? I knew I wanted the Shelby gauges so I bought the pre-assembled version, (all gauges in and pre-wired ready for install), however, I think you can still purchase a blank pod and add your own gauges or purchase Shelby versions separately.

Third - Depending if you choose normally aspirated or supercharger, there's a required oil pressure manifold for each, and these are purchased separately. (it's required and I think SPP says so on their site)

Fourth - Check to see if you need the fuel pressure manifold - I can't remember if it's needed for normally aspirated engines, but it's definitely needed for the supercharged ones! (I think it's included, but check to be sure!)

I think that's about it!

Oh, about the install - when you get to the part about putting on the velcro pads, test fit the pod to make sure it's located and sticks properly to the dash. (you may have to purchase additional velcro if it moves around!) Once you've got it in place, take a half-used roll of paper towels and wedge that between the pod and the windshield (you can use rolled up towels as well, use whatever it takes to keep the gauge pod evenly in place) and leave it there at least overnight. This will give the pre-glued side of the velcro time to conform and set-up.

Sam

• 1 month later...

Can anyone with the Shelby Center Dash Gauge Pod please post some comprehensive pics of the intall? For example like this guy did with the Autometer pod?

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-talk/80910-autometer-mustang-2005-3-gauge-pod-install.html

I really like the fitment of the Autometer pod and as picky as I am, I'm pretty worried about getting the Shelby one and it being as knarly as some other parts I've received in recent times.

Any pics would be greatly appreciated. Mostly interested in the side and windshield fitment.

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone with the Shelby Center Dash Gauge Pod please post some comprehensive pics of the intall? For example like this guy did with the Autometer pod?

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-talk/80910-autometer-mustang-2005-3-gauge-pod-install.html

I really like the fitment of the Autometer pod and as picky as I am, I'm pretty worried about getting the Shelby one and it being as knarly as some other parts I've received in recent times.

Any pics would be greatly appreciated. Mostly interested in the side and windshield fitment.

Thanks in advance.

I went SOS to avoid fitment issues.

gauge pod.jpg

gauge pod.jpg

I went SOS to avoid fitment issues.

I knoooooooooow.... those look great! But I'm really wanting to do the "original" SGT look. As friggin indecisive as I am to start with... this has been the hardest decision so far with my SC ordering. I like the cleanliness of the SOS pod, but I really don't like the idea of the gauges being that "in my face". I like the idea of the center gauges, but not the fitment of the Shelby one... as I'm told... or the ilumination of the Shelby gauges. At this point, I'm leaning toward the Autometer pod and the Cobalt guages like someone else showed. That seemed to be the cleanest I've seen so far that in some way resembled the OE SGT look.

But if maybe the fitment of the Shelby pod has improved... I might still do that... ugh. I don't know... :banghead: Look how long it took me to pull the trigger on the SC I KNEW I wanted!

After two weeks with the SOS pod it isn't really that in your face. I hardly notice it now. I do know what you mean as I was a frog hair away from ordering the autometer center pod. My concern was getting the wires for the AFM to tuck in between the dash and window. I also liked the fact that the GT350 went with the pillar style gauges. Good luck with your decision.

My concern was getting the wires for the AFM to tuck in between the dash and window. I also liked the fact that the GT350 went with the pillar style gauges. Good luck with your decision.

Hmmm... the GT350 has the pillar gauges huh... hmmmm....

Gut to your point of the wires, I know what you mean, however it looks like the Autometer one is setup fairly well to hide them as it actually overlaps the first "row" of the defrost vents, in essence seeming to completely cover the area where the wires go down through the vent. Not sure if the Shelby center pod does that or not. Seemed not to from the pics I've seen.

:headscratch::banghead:

The Shelby dash pod (and I imagine others) uses a pre-existing hole that allows you to drop wires down behind the dash. If you look through the windshield (from the outside) you can just see the wire-loom exiting the back of the pod and then disappearing into the dash - most people don't notice the wire(s) due to glare/reflection off of the glass.

As for fitment, I doubt if any of the DASH gauge pods are perfectly seamless, simply because of the mostly flat surface you're dealing with, it's a separate piece, and the fact that it's held on with velcro! Meanwhile, the PILLAR gauges take advantage of the existing seams in the trim, or replace it all together. I suppose you could build a replacement dash piece with molded in gauges, but I don't think to many folks could afford the resulting higher price!

I will try and get some better pictures (inside and out) of my install, the one I posted on the previous page doesn't do it justice because it really does look GOOD!

Sam

Does anybody know how these pods are affixed to the dash from the factory?

Are they drilled in? or tape? or just sitting tightly in the grove of the dash? The reason I ask is because I'd like to remove one and use an a-pillar pod, but don't want to have an unsightly reminder of it being there.

Does anybody know how these pods are affixed to the dash from the factory?

Are they drilled in? or tape? or just sitting tightly in the grove of the dash? The reason I ask is because I'd like to remove one and use an a-pillar pod, but don't want to have an unsightly reminder of it being there.

First of all, Welcome. But seriously, but did you happen to read this thread at all? Not meaning to be a dick, but do you really want to be THAT guy that used his 1st post to ask a question in a thread full of answers?

The good news is, you found the right thread and the answers do lie within. ;)

Cheers and again, welcome.

Archived