TEAM SHELBY FORUM

TOWING - Car

Hey guy's question for you guys and gals, I'm buying a 69 Amx out of MASS its about 300mls. I never trailered a car before but driven large trucks before as in barrier and tow trucks. I'm going to use my wife's 08 Ford Expedition EL it has a ride leveling system for big loads and trailers. How hard is it to handle on a highway or should I pay a towing company ???

I got one quote for towing it was over 600.00 the trailer from U-Haul is 120.00 !!!

I know most of you think my mind is fried and I don't disagree and my wife will side with you. Just because, I forget that the dog is outside on the coldest nite of the year. She was fine a couple of cookie and she was good as new. But when it comes to driving my brain wakes up and I did drive down to mustang week and back. I will be heading down to Hilton head, SC next week, I just don't like see those trailers and campers swaying all over the place thats what freaks me out.

Thanks

The expidition should be able to handle it fine....just remember to always Look ahead watching the Vehicles in front (as many as you can keep an eye on) and brake sooner then normal. The Uhaul car Trailers suck. Way to heavy and way to deep. The Bed is Two Runners that have 4 or 5 inch sides. If the AMX sits low, it may not go on the Trailer.

The expidition should be able to handle it fine....just remember to always Look ahead watching the Vehicles in front (as many as you can keep an eye on) and brake sooner then normal. The Uhaul car Trailers suck. Way to heavy and way to deep. The Bed is Two Runners that have 4 or 5 inch sides. If the AMX sits low, it may not go on the Trailer.

Thanks for the reply !! Good to know, the hgt this guy has it raised higher than norm so it shouldn't be a problem just nervous about wrecking it been searching to long for this car with the perfect price and condition. Will post pic's and price, I still don't believe it till, I get there and if it turns out to be bull shit. I will be on the news, I will yell out T.S.

Should be gravy with the Expedition since it has air bags in the rear.

Just keep her in 4th, set the cruise at 65, keep the weight over the trailer axles (I prefer just slightly forward of the axles) and enjoy. Strap each corner of the car to the trailer.

I've trailed lots of vehicles and there is nothing to it.

Be sure to check tire pressure before leaving. I'm assuming you'll have brakes on the trailer? If not that may be an issue depending on the terrain you might be on.

I've never towed with a U-Haul trailer only 18' car haulers with a 4' dovetail so no advice there.

Should be gravy with the Expedition since it has air bags in the rear.

Just keep her in 4th, set the cruise at 65, keep the weight over the trailer axles (I prefer just slightly forward of the axles) and enjoy. Strap each corner of the car to the trailer.

I've trailed lots of vehicles and there is nothing to it.

Be sure to check tire pressure before leaving. I'm assuming you'll have brakes on the trailer? If not that may be an issue depending on the terrain you might be on.

I've never towed with a U-Haul trailer only 18' car haulers with a 4' dovetail so no advice there.

Thanks for the response and the advice, I will check for the the tire pressure with my owners manual and see what U-haul say's. If they can find me a trailer close to where the car is. So far they have one 20mls north of where the car is which doesn't work for me and there response was It is where it is !! and told me if I cancel it's 50.00 dollars which is a lie.

The Expedition should be fine as a tow vehicle... However, I would stay away (Run Forest, Run...) from the U-Haul car hauler if you can... Everything written above is correct!

I've had to use one before, and I won't do it again... Good Luck!

Gregg

07SGT0547

Towing is easy!! Just pay attention and dont panic if the trailor does start to sway.

Like Stump said make sure to CENTER the car or just a hair NOSE heavy. You dont want the rear of the Expedition bouncing off the ground.

We had a guy load a trailor with ALL the weight on the rear. He hit the interstate and the rear end bounced in the AIR and he flipped the truck and trailor on its side!!!!

Totaled a NEW F250 King Ranch and MY trailor!!!

MM

Just FYI also, if it does start to sway don't hit your brakes. Reach down and use your booster to activate your trailer brakes and let the trailer slow down and straighten out your vehicle.

If loaded correctly though you shouldn't have any sway problems at all.

One other thing NEVER, NEVER, NEVER trust your trailer hook up to someone else. I don't care how insulted they might act. One incident a trailer with a backhoe was loaded on my truck by one of the yard hands. I started to pull out and got a gut feeling to check the load. Everything was great except for the bulldog hitch had not been closed and locked on the ball.

I also lost a light tower on a 3am emergency run going down I35 for trusting the hook-up to be complete. The safety chains and the tailgate stopped the trailer.

My wife trusted her bossman when she borrowed a truck and trailer from him. She drove about 45 miles to meet me and as I walked around the truck to inspect it before I left, the hitch was open and somehow the trailer (which was empty) had stayed on the ball all that distance. I figure her angel must have held it on 'cause there was no natural explanation.

Archived