TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutch/flywheel TSB done

cluscher

I have an '07 coupe that had a full clutch/tranny replacement done in 4/08 under warranty due to clutch drag, bumping synchros, etc. At that time the car had 800 mi. on it. After the warranty work was done clutch chatter was still substantial. I went to the dealer last week and got them to agree to do the clutch/flywheel replacement under the TSB. Bad chatter was really my only symptom.....no clutch drag and no grinding. For this reason I tried to get dealer to to agree not to install the trans. kit because the new trany had only 700 miles on it and was fine. I was told by the service manager there was no way Ford would pay for it if they omitted the trans kit, so I agreed to have them do the full TSB.

I got the car back this evening, and all I can is man WHAT A DIFFERENCE! :happy feet: It's kind of hard to explain but it drives like a different car.........I can't believe it. I now have NO chatter at all and grab point is precise about 3/4 from the floor. Shifting also feels more precise. Before I was semi-concerned about really romping on the car because my gutt told me it just wasn't right. Well, I put it through a mild beat down tonight and was grinning from ear to ear. Launching and shifting is predictable, solid, and deliberate. Even with them cracking into my tranny it sure feels like they did the job right based on the feelt, and this clutch/flywheel is the right setup for this car without a doubt. Like I said, it's hard to explain how much better it is, but believe me IT IS!!! So, go find yourself a good dealer and get this done. If it's done right you'll love how the car drives and having piece of mind is priceless.

I now only have about 20 miles on the new clutch so we'll see what the future brings, but the way it is now is beyond all expectations I had. I can't give enough thanks to all of you on TS, and GRABBER in particular, who armed me with the information I needed to go get this done. Good luck to the rest of you guys who are venturing down this path. If it's done right it's well worth it so go for it.

Hey My 2008 had the tranny replaced and clutch on jan 21st 2008. I bought the car on december 20th 2008. My car has no symptons but has real bad clutch chatter in 1st and Reverse. No grinding but i think the flywheel might be warped and i have only 600 miles on her. Like you said something doesnt feel right! I have made a appointment for monday March 9th and i have the info Grabber gave me so I am ready!

Jason

2008 GT500 Torch red !

Hey My 2008 had the tranny replaced and clutch on jan 21st 2008. I bought the car on december 20th 2008. My car has no symptons but has real bad clutch chatter in 1st and Reverse. No grinding but i think the flywheel might be warped and i have only 600 miles on her. Like you said something doesnt feel right! I have made a appointment for monday March 9th and i have the info Grabber gave me so I am ready!

Jason

2008 GT500 Torch red !

Sounds familiar. Good luck. Once they saw I knew what I was talking about and reminded them that even Ford decided to do away with the old clutch and flywheel mid-way through the '09 production run they didn't fight me at all in agreeing to do the work under warranty.

I have an '07 coupe that had a full clutch/tranny replacement done in 4/08 under warranty due to clutch drag, bumping synchros, etc. At that time the car had 800 mi. on it. After the warranty work was done clutch chatter was still substantial. I went to the dealer last week and got them to agree to do the clutch/flywheel replacement under the TSB. Bad chatter was really my only symptom.....no clutch drag and no grinding. For this reason I tried to get dealer to to agree not to install the trans. kit because the new trany had only 700 miles on it and was fine. I was told by the service manager there was no way Ford would pay for it if they omitted the trans kit, so I agreed to have them do the full TSB.

I got the car back this evening, and all I can is man WHAT A DIFFERENCE! :happy feet: It's kind of hard to explain but it drives like a different car.........I can't believe it. I now have NO chatter at all and grab point is precise about 3/4 from the floor. Shifting also feels more precise. Before I was semi-concerned about really romping on the car because my gutt told me it just wasn't right. Well, I put it through a mild beat down tonight and was grinning from ear to ear. Launching and shifting is predictable, solid, and deliberate. Even with them cracking into my tranny it sure feels like they did the job right based on the feelt, and this clutch/flywheel is the right setup for this car without a doubt. Like I said, it's hard to explain how much better it is, but believe me IT IS!!! So, go find yourself a good dealer and get this done. If it's done right you'll love how the car drives and having piece of mind is priceless.

I now only have about 20 miles on the new clutch so we'll see what the future brings, but the way it is now is beyond all expectations I had. I can't give enough thanks to all of you on TS, and GRABBER in particular, who armed me with the information I needed to go get this done. Good luck to the rest of you guys who are venturing down this path. If it's done right it's well worth it so go for it.

I just picked my 2007 up yesterday after having the TSB done.

I agree, there is a big difference.

That said, I am getting some grinding when going into 4th. All other gears are fine. I can reduce it by bringing it into 4th slowly.

My dealer in Richmond, British Columbia has been great. They want me to drive it for a week or so to see if the grinding goes away. If it doesn't, and I can't say I am optimistic, they'll pull it all apart again.

I've had the tsb done on my 07 vert. Mine was a very early car and the clutch shuddering/chattering had gotten really bad. Also, hard to get into second and a little grind doing so. First time it came back, the shuddering was more persistant (almost every take off) but not so severe--however, you could barely get the car in reverse. Second time it shifts like a dream through all gears, reverse is slick as a button, but the shudder still persists. I really don't know if it's me or if it's the car. I've driven a straight shift off and on all my life and I don't think I'm too bad at it. If I let the car idle off, no shudder, but tach it up about 1000, 1200 rpm and the shudder is inevitable. Frustrates the h*@! out of me! Dealer says some shudder is normal--well, how much is some. I debate whether I'm giving it too much gas or not enough.....this is the only GT 500 I've ever driven.......

I've had the tsb done on my 07 vert. Mine was a very early car and the clutch shuddering/chattering had gotten really bad. Also, hard to get into second and a little grind doing so. First time it came back, the shuddering was more persistant (almost every take off) but not so severe--however, you could barely get the car in reverse. Second time it shifts like a dream through all gears, reverse is slick as a button, but the shudder still persists. I really don't know if it's me or if it's the car. I've driven a straight shift off and on all my life and I don't think I'm too bad at it. If I let the car idle off, no shudder, but tach it up about 1000, 1200 rpm and the shudder is inevitable. Frustrates the h*@! out of me! Dealer says some shudder is normal--well, how much is some. I debate whether I'm giving it too much gas or not enough.....this is the only GT 500 I've ever driven.......

My 2008 was delivered in December and had the symptoms rolling off the truck with just 123 miles on it. No shifting into reverse under power, had to turn the car off, put it in reverse, turn it on (it would start creeping with clutch fully depressed). Hard shifting in all gates, clutch slipping big time and little power to wheels under acceleration. RPM's flew up, speed did not. Discovered all that in 2 miles. Thanks to this forum's posters and all the info I'd gathered over the last year and a half, I was able to find a local Blue Oval dealer, bring them the TSB and instructions, and got it fixed while it was too snowy to drive anyway. I even knew to expect some delay on a couple of the parts, so I did not get antsy. Grabber and everyone else who posted the info, YOU ROCK! Car shifts great now and is a joy. Fingers crossed that things stay good.

-TC

Question:

Besides just bring the TSB (http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=40723) with you to the dealer, what or is there anything you can bring that shows that what build dates cars have which parts and which date the new proper parts started being installed.

I am pretty sure my dealer will do it but they have said a few times that they thought it was just early 07s, which it obviously wrong.

Does it state anything about build dates or dates at all in the TSB I linked to above?

Is there a different one that is more specific to show this?

thanks

Question:

Besides just bring the TSB (http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=40723) with you to the dealer, what or is there anything you can bring that shows that what build dates cars have which parts and which date the new proper parts started being installed.

I am pretty sure my dealer will do it but they have said a few times that they thought it was just early 07s, which it obviously wrong.

Does it state anything about build dates or dates at all in the TSB I linked to above?

Is there a different one that is more specific to show this?

thanks

TSB08-16-4

Ford 2007-2009 Mustang

ISSUE

Some2007-2009 Mustang, Shelby vechicles may exibitthe following clutch/transmission symptoms: ardto disengage or engage 1st& reverse,hard t0 shift any gear,gear grinding during shifts any gear,vehicle creeps with trans in gear and clutch pedal fully depressed without brake pedal application, clutch slippage in gear with pedal released, hiss noise with clutch pedal fully depressed(hiss on clutch release is normal for G.T 500 clutch material).These symptoms may be due to flywheel distortion caused by excessive heat build -up during unique traffic conditions ( e.I severe stop/go urban driving) The distortion of the flywheel may prevent complete disengagement of the clutch . The system is designed for performance driving conditions

This is what is stated on the TSB. Read &heed

Archived