TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Strut tower brace that will work with the Whipple?

Now that I have decided to go with the Whipple , is there anyone that makes a strut tower brace that will work with our stock hood?

I saw that agent 47 makes a " Double Barrel High Clearance Brace " that they say will clear a supercharger (don't state which superchargers) but it doesn't say if it will work with the original hood.

Now that I have decided to go with the Whipple , is there anyone that makes a strut tower brace that will work with our stock hood?

I saw that agent 47 makes a " Double Barrel High Clearance Brace " that they say will clear a supercharger (don't state which superchargers) but it doesn't say if it will work with the original hood.

The only thing that works is a V6 strut brace with spacers but Tasca says there are only like two threads left when you do that and it changes the whole integrity of the car---don't do it.

According to D. Gomes at Tasca yesterday Ford Racing is producing one quickly as they are loosing sales b/c of this very issue.

The only thing that works is a V6 strut brace with spacers but Tasca says there are only like two threads left when you do that and it changes the whole integrity of the car---don't do it.

According to D. Gomes at Tasca yesterday Ford Racing is producing one quickly as they are loosing sales b/c of this very issue.

Good, maybe by then I will be ready! :drool: ...or maybe not. :cry:

Thanks hardluck, I will ask Dennis about it when I roll in there in two weeks, :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2:

I got on the phone with agent 47 today and they say that the problem is clearing the intake not the whipple itself.

I had to give it a go. The V6 brace just looks to flimsy. Here's a pic of a KR and i'm thinking that since the air inlet is set to somewhat of a 45 degree angle and the whipple's run parallel to the S/C that there may be just enough room. It appears that the height of the S/C isn't much higher between the two and if you look at the belt line of the firewall (height) they're about the same. Now, I know the KR hood is popped up higher than the SGT and I noticed the hood actually has a impression that looks like it would fit this. The top part of the KR brace is actually flattened where it reads Ford Racing so i'm suspecting this was for clearance purposes.

At any rate, I figured it would be worth a try... stay tuned!

post-21846-1236211215_thumb.jpg

post-21846-1236211215_thumb.jpg

Thanks hardluck, I will ask Dennis about it when I roll in there in two weeks, :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2:

I got on the phone with agent 47 today and they say that the problem is clearing the intake not the whipple itself.

That sounds like what Dennis was saying too, and if you do a double brace like our Shelby one then it hits back by the Throttle body... waiting on Ford Racing myself for theirs.

Be prepared to loose your hood insulation also. I am going to try and figure out a way to cut it out so I can put it back in. The belt on the 550 hits on the insulation.

I just bought the KR strut...... and keeping my fingers crossed.

HORSBYT,

The KR brace will clear neither your supercharger or the air inlet tube leading to your throttle body. I have studied and measured every type of brace available. None of them work and a custom piece involving some machine work will be required. I have also taken extensive measurements between our engine components and the bracing on our hood's using modeling clay on various components and closing the hood on top of it. The KR brace will not clear your hood without cutting up your hood even if you didn't have a supercharger. I have put tons of time and money into this and I can say without reservation that no commercially available brace will work with your stock hood and the FRPP Whipple supercharger kit. I'll be tied up for a few weeks taking care of my parents estate matters but I will return to this project as soon as possible.

Chip

I just bought the KR strut...... and keeping my fingers crossed.

I contacted Blue Oval Ind. months ago, they said the KR STB will not fit under the stock Mustang GT hood, even if you remove the insulator pad. I hope they were wrong, so please keep us updated.

It does not fit, I tried it last summer and had to return it. It misses on the drivers side air intake.

Take Care

Andrew

It does not fit, I tried it last summer and had to return it. It misses on the drivers side air intake.

Take Care

Andrew

Thanks guys for the information. Chip we will have our collective fingers crossed waiting patiently for you to complete the Chip Beck race brace. (well it will need a name, lol)

I've heard the same thing. I met a guy at Quantum in Dallas last year when they had their grand opening who had Quantum install a whipple and he told me he couldn't tell the difference in handling with or without the strut tower brace. I'll have to admit it does look good though but it looks good with the s/c by itself. It's probably just another feel good item.

I have to say I don't notice a difference. The only thing I did notice was the extra weight over the front wheels which now makes it handle that much better IMO. It was too late to cancel the KR brace.... I'll let ya know how it goes. It seems obvious, but i'm one of those guys that has to actually light the match to see if it'll burn regardless of who told me and how many times! :)

I have to say I don't notice a difference. The only thing I did notice was the extra weight over the front wheels which now makes it handle that much better IMO. It was too late to cancel the KR brace.... I'll let ya know how it goes. It seems obvious, but i'm one of those guys that has to actually light the match to see if it'll burn regardless of who told me and how many times! :)

Hi,

Jay Tucker (JLT) has 1/4" spacer plates that go between the strut tower and the brace. It cleared my Whipple, I do not know about the hood as mine is a GT500 take off.

Michael

I had this done last year. Posies customs in Hummelstown pa converted my hood to a functinoal hood scoop. I also supplied them a KR sTB which they knotched over the whipple, then, rewelded. the Hood was scalloped out and repainted underneath. All in all, very nice job. But, at 3K or there about, you have to want it done.

Hi,

Jay Tucker (JLT) has 1/4" spacer plates that go between the strut tower and the brace. It cleared my Whipple, I do not know about the hood as mine is a GT500 take off.

Michael

Gentlemen,

It takes 1/4 to 1/2 inch spacers to get that brace to clear the Whipple supercharger on the 4.6 L V-8. Even before putting those spacers on however that brace will not clear your stock hood. Use caution because if you slam your hood with that brace in place it will bend your hood upward and destroy it. There is very little clearance (5/8 inch) between some of the components in the Whipple supercharger system and the bracing on the underside of the stock Shelby GT hood. Team Shelby members who know me, already know that I am a firm believer in throwing time and money at a problem. :-) I currently have four different strut tower braces in my garage. I purchased all of them knowing that they would not work but I wanted to study their design and to see which, if any, of them could be modified or redesigned so that they could work. I want a brace that will not require the hood bracing to be cut or the engine lowered and that will require a custom machined piece. I'll keep you posted as work progresses.

Chip

Chip, are you considering the old triangular type brace that also goes back to the firewall?

This old export brace design may actually accomplish something in the way of reinforcement.

Anything with a bend or curve to it, however, is nothing more than a spring.

Ken

Gentlemen,

It takes 1/4 to 1/2 inch spacers to get that brace to clear the Whipple supercharger on the 4.6 L V-8. Even before putting those spacers on however that brace will not clear your stock hood. Use caution because if you slam your hood with that brace in place it will bend your hood upward and destroy it. There is very little clearance (5/8 inch) between some of the components in the Whipple supercharger system and the bracing on the underside of the stock Shelby GT hood. Team Shelby members who know me, already know that I am a firm believer in throwing time and money at a problem. :-) I currently have four different strut tower braces in my garage. I purchased all of them knowing that they would not work but I wanted to study their design and to see which, if any, of them could be modified or redesigned so that they could work. I want a brace that will not require the hood bracing to be cut or the engine lowered and that will require a custom machined piece. I'll keep you posted as work progresses.

Chip

My "tone" in this is as sharing info and comparing notes. The Whipple you've tested with is the 550HP version? I ask, because I am using the 400HP version and the intake plenum and throttle body run 90 degrees to the length of the whipple itself. The larger units have a throttle body that is set at somewhere near a 45 degree angle and thus cutting into the territory where the strut brace clears the whipple AND inlet tube. It's this difference in design that led me to believe that there would at least be no clearance issues with the throttle body/inlet. I believe the KB's actually sit lower than the Whipples...

Got the KR brace today..........

I have a four-letter word to describe the way I felt after I put it on, but I'll save it.

It clears EVERYTHING, but seems to hit on the outside where it curves down. It clears beautifully the intake. It seems to have a VERY minute amount of clearance over the whipple and i'm not sure how much "lift" may occur under acceleration? It looked GREAT on there, but the hood just wouldn't close. I stuck painters tape upside down in the middle and the two outside edges leading down toward the towers. The tape would stick to the hood when closed on the right side. Aargghh!!!! It's a BEEFY brace though and I would love to have something like that!!!

Cliff reporting out from under the hood, back to you Chip....

Archived