TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need some advice on hood scoop

Ok, so my SGT is a year old now, and I've been watching everyone gripe about their scoops since I got started on this forum...my problem is this: My scoop is really not all that bad, it doesn't lift from the hood at all, but it does have a slight dip in it and I can see on the driver's side what appears to be a brace about 1" wide that looks like it may be pushing on the scoop from the inside. But, I'm afraid to take the car into the dealer here to have them replace the scoop!!! The stripes are fine, there are a couple of dings in them from some of the huge bugs and/or rocks out here in West Texas, and I wouldn't mind having the scoop replaced, but I'm afraid that they'll mess up the stripes if I go messing with the scoop now...

This is a real dilemma for me, because I don't want to introduce any issues with the stripes since my scoop is not lifting and waving at me like some that I have seen in the past...But, if I decide to take it to the dealer, should they get the pre-drilled or undrilled scoop??? Personally, I'd like to use the rivnuts that I've heard others talk about, but I've never seen them in person, so have no idea how they would work...I just don't want my stripes to get messed up in the process of fixing the scoop...

Any words of knowledge would be appreciated here...Tell me your horror stories or success stories on scoop replacements with the "final fix" scoop...

Carl

Ok, so my SGT is a year old now, and I've been watching everyone gripe about their scoops since I got started on this forum...my problem is this: My scoop is really not all that bad, it doesn't lift from the hood at all, but it does have a slight dip in it and I can see on the driver's side what appears to be a brace about 1" wide that looks like it may be pushing on the scoop from the inside. But, I'm afraid to take the car into the dealer here to have them replace the scoop!!! The stripes are fine, there are a couple of dings in them from some of the huge bugs and/or rocks out here in West Texas, and I wouldn't mind having the scoop replaced, but I'm afraid that they'll mess up the stripes if I go messing with the scoop now...

This is a real dilemma for me, because I don't want to introduce any issues with the stripes since my scoop is not lifting and waving at me like some that I have seen in the past...But, if I decide to take it to the dealer, should they get the pre-drilled or undrilled scoop??? Personally, I'd like to use the rivnuts that I've heard others talk about, but I've never seen them in person, so have no idea how they would work...I just don't want my stripes to get messed up in the process of fixing the scoop...

Any words of knowledge would be appreciated here...Tell me your horror stories or success stories on scoop replacements with the "final fix" scoop...

Carl

Carl,

The end result of my Ford "final fix" was fine. I actually had no visible issues with my scoop, but I did with the stripe wrinkles. Ford Performance Group warranty support said that if they replace the stripes, they're replacing the scoop so it doesn't happen down the line. I was told that with the urethane scoop it's not a matter of if, it's when it will warp. You live in warm state like I do, and if you actually drive your car (vs. just keeping it in the garage to look at) eventually the heat from the engine will warp it... which will cause the stripes to wrinkle. The new fiberglass scoop is stiff and heat resistive.

I'd suggest having it done while you're still under warranty. Call around and talk to a few dealers and see who's done the replacement before. Preferrably, you'll be able to find one with an in-house body-shop with an excellent reputation. I also insisted that they outsource the repstriping job if they didn't have extensive vinyl graphics experience (which they didn't).

Your car is a 2008, as is mine, so it already has the rivets. Some of the early 2007's were held with 4 bolts, and later some rivets were added. Ours don't have the bolts, only rivets.

I wasn't happy about having to go through the processes, but it looks good now... If you don't look under the hoodliner, you'll never know once it's done.

Hope this helps... If you'd like more detail PM me.

Good luck,

Matt

Carl,

I hear you, brother! Ya know, my biggest issue is my fear of just about anyone messing around with my car, especially body work! I have to grit my teeth, wring my hands, bite my nails, and worry, worry, worry, everytime she's out of my site! (I've said this a hundred times, but OK, here's a hundred and one: I have visions of the parking garage attendants in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off")

In the case of the hood scoop, I want to be there the entire time the work is being done, OR only give them what they need, say JUST THE HOOD, to get the work done!

Call me paranoid!

Sam

AKA:

Get it done!

It may look "pretty good" today but are you willing to bet on it holding up for years? If the scoop has issues get it fixed while under warranty BEFORE it runs out and effects your stripes etc. In the end you'll have to do it the only question is who will pay.

I have the experiance of having the scoop replaced three times !! The last time was the new design and looks perfect ! Your (puddle) on the top of yours will only get worse. They should not mess up your (rare) perfect stripes if they have a concientous guy and not some guy who does not understand the complicated precedure of useing the Shelby template that is a little mickey mouse and drilling the rivot holes exactly in the right place and angle. Make sure they remove the sound deadner blanket on the bottom side of the hood before they do anything or they will drill holes thru it !! With that said ,are you too far from Las Vegas to take it to Shelby ? It is alot of red tape to get warrenty parts from Shelby and takes a few weeks for the dealer to get there hands on the scoop and/or stripes. My stripes had spots on them when I bought the car and had them replaced. I have since had the hood sripes replaced four more times because of the wrickles caused by the earlier designed scoop . If you would like to discuss this more with me or talk to my very good/experianced Ford body shop mgr. whom I have Have now built a good relationship with over the last year. My e-mail is donnie160@bellsouth.net. Good luck ,

Donnie

Motorjock I am just like you..I fear for my car's life when out of my site and would have to be at the dealer the entire time that they would be working on it...not to mention I have not heard of anyone in Denver having a positive exipernce. Does anyone know will SAI take the car in just to repair the hood?

I'm like Jeff in that i have had a lot of experience in dealing with the hood scoop. I don't remember if it was my 4th or 5th scoop but you might as well get started. My last scoop they did not take the hood off the car which supprised me yet it was my best install. Ive gone through all the latest and greatest scoops and this is by far the best. I kept telling Shelby they needed a fiberglass scoop but since i was a nobody, they wouldn't listen to me and many others who complained about the urathane scoop.Your scoop will only get worse with time. I never had a problem with the silver stripe but i had a problem with the black stripe down the middle of the scoop but they fixed it. One option you have is if the dealer is not to far away then you could have the dealer take the hood off the car and and take the car home.I was offered that but declined as i was about 18 miles from home.It would give you a 60's look though. Bite the bullet and go ahead and do it. At least you will have the best scoop now and not be a gunieu pig like Jeff and i. Good-Luck.

Well, I guess it sounds like I need to get on the ball and find a decent dealer who will do the work "right". I would seriously consider the trip to Vegas if SAI would do the scoop under warranty...Amy? Bud?

HEY GUYS,

LIKE EVERYONE ELSE I FEEL YOUR HOOD SCOOP PAIN. I JUST PURCHASED AND

O8 SGT0123 CALIFORNIA EDITION THAT WAS IN SO.CAL SITTING ON A DEALERS LOT FOR

ABOUT A YEAR. SO MY HOOD SCOOP WAS SUBJECT TO THE SUN AND HEAT

FOR AN EXTEND TIME. MY SCOOP IS WARPED AND MOUNTED SLIGHTLY CROOKED. I AM

ON THE LIST FOR A SUPER CHARGER UPGRADE SO I AM HOPING THAT WHEN MY CAR

GOES TO SAI VEGAS THEY CAN DO THE WARRANTY REPAIR. AFTER ALL THEY DID

CREATE THIS PACKAGE AND HAVE CHOSSEN THE DIFFERENT SCOOPS AND HOW

THEY WHERE ATTACHED. DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF SAI VEGAS IS DOING WARRANTY

REPAIRS.

SCOTTY

HEY GUYS,

LIKE EVERYONE ELSE I FEEL YOUR HOOD SCOOP PAIN. I JUST PURCHASED AND

O8 SGT0123 CALIFORNIA EDITION THAT WAS IN SO.CAL SITTING ON A DEALERS LOT FOR

ABOUT A YEAR. SO MY HOOD SCOOP WAS SUBJECT TO THE SUN AND HEAT

FOR AN EXTEND TIME. MY SCOOP IS WARPED AND MOUNTED SLIGHTLY CROOKED. I AM

ON THE LIST FOR A SUPER CHARGER UPGRADE SO I AM HOPING THAT WHEN MY CAR

GOES TO SAI VEGAS THEY CAN DO THE WARRANTY REPAIR. AFTER ALL THEY DID

CREATE THIS PACKAGE AND HAVE CHOSSEN THE DIFFERENT SCOOPS AND HOW

THEY WHERE ATTACHED. DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF SAI VEGAS IS DOING WARRANTY

REPAIRS.

SCOTTY

Scotty,

I haven't heard that they will nor do I think they can. The warranty work is through Ford from Ford's set aside money and only done through a Ford authorized dealer. Now having said that you could call Bud and see if you file a claim with the local Vegas dealer, if they will contract the work to SAI and cut a PO. SAI has an existing relationship with the local dealer so maybe it's something they can work out but I would think it would be a one time favor as part of your bigger purchase rather than an ongoing policy but this is all a guess and you'll have to talk to Bud.

Good luck!

Carl, I'm in the same boat as you. I still have my original bolt-on scoop and it really isn't that bad. I don't plan on ever replacing it. With all the ongoing trouble I'm having with my hood stripes, I would much rather have a scoop I can simply unbolt then one that is riveted to the hood.

mine is warping pretty bad too, but i dont know who to trust around dallas to work on my car. i went to prestige and had my hood repainted so instead of ripping the stipes of the just painted them over alittle so now when the stripes have to be replaced so does the paintjob.. does anyone know of a really good dealership around dallas to get the scoop and stripes redone??

I have replaced the hood pins, stripes and the hood scoop. The car is perfect now!

I am so glad I had those parts replaced.

The horror stories I have heard are more about the install than the part itself!

If you are that concerned and don't trust the dealer or installer, do like I did and find

out who, when, and where, and watch the whole process. That way you can make sure

it is done correctly.

Kevin

07SGT2591

• 3 weeks later...
mine is warping pretty bad too, but i dont know who to trust around dallas to work on my car. i went to prestige and had my hood repainted so instead of ripping the stipes of the just painted them over alittle so now when the stripes have to be replaced so does the paintjob.. does anyone know of a really good dealership around dallas to get the scoop and stripes redone??

Quantum?

:headscratch:

That's just bizarre! Sorry!

:headscratch:

That's just bizarre! Sorry!

+1 Is this for real?

Since you're in Texas, I would call Quantum and see if they have done these scoops (I'm sure they have). Otherwise call Ford Warranty and ask them the names of all the dealers they sent the "new" scoops to. Call the dealers and ask if they have done the fix and how they feel about doing another. I had to go to the next state (4 hour drive) to get mine done. I also had to leave the car for a week and pay for a rental car in order to get the scoop and stripes done right. Hopefully you won't.

It's been 5 weeks and so far so good!

• 2 months later...

My husband was banned from this website cause he voiced his opinion about his hood scoop being replaced 3 times !!! Now it was just replaced for the 4th time .. with the new rivited scoop, at another dealer,cause our selling dealer could not do the job , The other dealer just replaced it weeks ago and managed to rip the racing stripe on the hood and dinged the front pan and cut the stripe on the front , So now the new scoop has to be removed ,this means taking all the new rivits out .. The Shelby designers didn't take this into consideration,the racing stripe is under the rivited scoop !! The car has been at the dealer for a month . Every time you need to order a stripe or a hood scoop , you have to go thru the Ford Performance routein , Take photos ,submit vin number. They have 7 photos of my scoop and stripe ,and wont do a thing until you "obey them ' .. The only action I got was to e-mail Darrel Hazel ,the Vice Pres of Ford ,to get some action !!! I am not happy with my mustang at all ...it has 1000 miles on it it is strickly a show car This July it will be 2 years old !!!

My husband was banned from this website cause he voiced his opinion about his hood scoop being replaced 3 times !!! Now it was just replaced for the 4th time .. with the new rivited scoop, at another dealer,cause our selling dealer could not do the job , The other dealer just replaced it weeks ago and managed to rip the racing stripe on the hood and dinged the front pan and cut the stripe on the front , So now the new scoop has to be removed ,this means taking all the new rivits out .. The Shelby designers didn't take this into consideration,the racing stripe is under the rivited scoop !! The car has been at the dealer for a month . Every time you need to order a stripe or a hood scoop , you have to go thru the Ford Performance routein , Take photos ,submit vin number. They have 7 photos of my scoop and stripe ,and wont do a thing until you "obey them ' .. The only action I got was to e-mail Darrel Hazel ,the Vice Pres of Ford ,to get some action !!! I am not happy with my mustang at all ...it has 1000 miles on it it is strickly a show car This July it will be 2 years old !!!

Your issue has NOTHING to do with Shelby or Ford. Your dealer messed up. This time it's on their dime! My scoop and install went perfect and two other members I personally know, who also got their scoop done at the same place, also are VERY pleased with the results. Again your issue is the dealer and you should focus on that. Review the hood scoop thread above and find yourself a good body shop to do the work (scoops and stripes) with your dealer paying for it.

There are VERY good reasons for the process which keeps clones and others from getting around the system. Have you see the prices even a floor mat get on ebay?

This thread is closed...please use the above pinned hood scoop thread.

Archived