TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My '07 GT on Vortech's Website

Five Oh B

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with Ruf, sounds like a bearing.

Found this which might interest you since your car is an auto:

059-760_1.jpg

StreetFighter Ratcheting Shifter

Been watching that TCI shifter for over a year (during it's super long gestation to production). However, with the blower, at WOT there's no way I can shift fast enough and I just leave it in drive at the dragstrip.

Brian - I fear something's amiss. My V2 barely whistles at idle. Have you called Vortech? Might be a bearing going south?

Everyone is correct; it's a bad bearing (blower pulley bearing). Vortech's tech line told me it sounded like a bearing and my mechanic grabbed a stethoscope and confirmed the squeal/whine is coming from the blower pulley bearing. I got a return authorization from Vortech a few days ago and am pulling the blower off the car tomorrow to ship to Vortech on Monday. I gave them the serial #, mileage, and purchase info to confirm it's covered under warranty. 10 day turnaround time, so it should be back on the road in early June.

I'm glad you found out what was wrong. Did they say it was a common issue? Or what might have caused the failure?

Actually, while the Vortech tech I spoke to was pretty sure it was a bearing failure, he was quite surprised as it does not appear to be a common issue. He said they'd be happy to fix it under warranty, though, so send it down to them. Luckily the bearing didn't seize - it's just really noisy at this point - but I'm still going to change the engine oil just in case there's any microscopic bits of metal floating around anywhere.

As for a cause? I can't tell. Tensioner pulley is moving properly, so the tension on the pulley isn't too high. Still using the 3.8" standard pulley. My mechanic seems to think the bearing is "pitted" by the sound it makes, but I'm not sure what would cause pitting other than a defective bearing at the time of its manufacture???

Well, my GT has been sitting a couple days. Finally had time today to pull the blower head unit off. Took 1.5 hours, but I spent about a 1/2 hour of that fighting one dang bolt that I couldn't reach well enough. Finally had to take the mounting plate off the front of the engine to get to it. It should be way easier to reinstall now that I know where everything goes. Ultimately, the head unit is relatively easy to remove.

I'll be shipping it back to Vortech tomorrow. I have an RA# already, so they know it's coming. Here's a couple pics I snapped while I was pulling the head unit off today....

Bearing01.jpg

Bearing02.jpg

Bearing03.jpg

Bearing04.jpg

Bearing05.jpg

Bearing06.jpg

Bearing07.jpg

Bearing08.jpg

Bearing09.jpg

Well, my GT has been sitting a couple days. Finally had time today to pull the blower head unit off. Took 1.5 hours, but I spent about a 1/2 hour of that fighting one dang bolt that I couldn't reach well enough. Finally had to take the mounting plate off the front of the engine to get to it. It should be way easier to reinstall now that I know where everything goes. Ultimately, the head unit is relatively easy to remove.

I'll be shipping it back to Vortech tomorrow. I have an RA# already, so they know it's coming. Here's a couple pics I snapped while I was pulling the head unit off today....

Bearing01.jpg

Bearing02.jpg

Bearing03.jpg

Bearing04.jpg

Bearing05.jpg

Bearing06.jpg

Bearing07.jpg

Bearing08.jpg

Bearing09.jpg

Now that it's apart, time to upgrade to an intercooled unit!!!! :happy feet:

Thanks, Brian! I've saved the pics - just in case!

I also noticed, in the last pic, a Hammer! :hysterical:

You - Da - Man! :happy feet:

I was waiting to see who'd notice the hammer first! Of course it would be you! I've found it to be very therapeutic to have a hammer near by to hit something when I work on a car. I keeps me from cussing at the top of my lungs (we have kids and neighbors to think of).

Now that it's apart, time to upgrade to an intercooled unit!!!! :happy feet:

I'd love to add the intercooler now, but we're flying to Europe in a few weeks so all of our extra money is being set aside for vacation spending. Any extra money we had a few months ago was invested in Ford stock (we even pulled money out of savings to buy more Ford stock), so I've got nothing left to pay for upgrading the blower for awhile. Someday I'll add the Paxton charge cooler.

I'd love to add the intercooler now, but we're flying to Europe in a few weeks so all of our extra money is being set aside for vacation spending. Any extra money we had a few months ago was invested in Ford stock (we even pulled money out of savings to buy more Ford stock), so I've got nothing left to pay for upgrading the blower for awhile. Someday I'll add the Paxton charge cooler.

Hey I know your trying to go with the sleeper look with your car but I have a black CDC lower grill which I would be willing to part with for a very reasonable price.

Hey I know your trying to go with the sleeper look with your car but I have a black CDC lower grill which I would be willing to part with for a very reasonable price.

Thanks for the offer, Jim. Still gotta divert money to our trip to Europe for now. Plus, I'm really trying to only invest money under the skin of my car with no outward changes planned.

Thanks for the offer, Jim. Still gotta divert money to our trip to Europe for now. Plus, I'm really trying to only invest money under the skin of my car with no outward changes planned.

No problem. :happy feet:

• 2 weeks later...
Brian - you get your blower back yet? :lurk:

Still waiting on Vortech to finish rebuilding my blower and ship it to me. I called last week, but all they would tell me was that it would take about 10 business days then shipped back regular ground UPS. Today is the 10th business day that they've had it, so I'm assuming I'll get it back next week, depending on UPS.

Only took 4 hours to pull the blower and convert the car back to NA so I could drive it in the interim. Doesn't look pretty under the hood (with plugged oil lines zipped-tied off to the side and a huge empty space where the blower should be since a lot of stuff was relocated), but it does drive nice and smooth like a stock GT should. Hoping to reinstall in about 2 hours now that I understand where everything goes. I'm thinking I should have done the original install myself (knowing how easy it is now) and saved the $899 in labor I paid. Oh well; you live, you learn.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Great to have you back, Brian. And glad to hear you had a good vacation! :happy feet:

I sold my car - had to. :cry:

Oh, man, sorry to hear the Rufstang had to go, Bryan! But, there will be another Mustang at a later date, my friend! I was without a Mustang for almost 6 years (1994 to 2000). I totalled my '89 5.0L LX Sport in late 1994 in a reckless accident. It wasn't until 2000 that my driving record improved enough to insure a musclecar again. That was a long six years without a pony in the stable. I've had several new Mustangs since then and can't imagine going without one again, so I feel your pain!

Finally reinstalled my Vortech supercharger two days ago. Took 2.5 hours for me to reinstall, check for leaks (none, thankfully), and reflash the PCM. It feels so good to be back in the boost again! Sure hope this blower stays together longer than the first time.

Vacation to Holland was awesome. What a wonderful place! Happy to be back in the USA, though, so I can enjoy my Mustang............

Hi Brian - real glad to hear you had a good vacation!

It was tough letting my car go - but I had to.

At least I sold it privately to soften the hit I took.

Being payment-free for a while will help me get back on my feet again.

Meantime, next door neighbor says I can drive his new Camaro SS whenever I want!

Ruf

Hi Brian - real glad to hear you had a good vacation!

It was tough letting my car go - but I had to.

At least I sold it privately to soften the hit I took.

Being payment-free for a while will help me get back on my feet again.

Meantime, next door neighbor says I can drive his new Camaro SS whenever I want!

Ruf

Hey, Ruf, that's a nice neighbor you have there! Everything happens for a reason, and I know another great car will land in your driveway again someday. Take your neighbor up on that offer once in a while to keep the HP withdrawls to a minimum!

• 3 months later...

I recently installed an SLP catted X-pipe, and I finally ran it at the local dragstrip. Almost identical weather (temp, barometer, etc.) to my last trip to the track with the factory mid-pipe and cats....

Before SLP X-pipe: 12.34 @ 111.93 mph

With SLP X-pipe: 12.14 @ 113.05 mph

So, freeing up the exhaust just a little netted me 2 full tenths of a second and more than 1.1 mph through the traps. I guess the factory exhaust is a serious restriction for a supercharged car! Looking to add SLP's longtube headers next, along with their PowerFlo catback. That should be more than enough to drop into the 11.90's (or better :shift:).

• 6 months later...

I've been quite busy and away from TS for awhile. Hope all as been well around here for you all. Been busy drag racing lately. Ran a best of 12.07 @ 112+ last weekend with my sights on 11.90's this coming weekend with some slight tuning changes I'm making. A friend of mine just happened to capture one of my runs a few weeks ago. Not my fastest run, but still decent (12.25 @ 112+). If you watch the video below, note how drama free the launch is, then how the power pours on about 100 feet out.....

th_20100417150305.jpg

Archived