TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Thunderhill SAAC Spring Sprint 4/18-4/19

kahmann

Anyone want to caravan to the track? Here's the link with registration details http://www.norcal-saac.org/news/0904th.htm

"The Nor Cal SAAC Spring Sprint 2009 Open Track at Thunderhill Raceway Park in Willows, California is a 2-day driving event for ALL makes and models of cars except open-wheel cars. Nor Cal SAAC members and non-members are welcome. Join us for a FUN weekend of track driving and social activities."

List of TS members attending:

1. kahmann - Ken - 08 Shelby GT (blue)

2. GR40Freak - Colin - 09 GR40ST (blue)

3. bigcarl - Carl - 07 Shelby GT (black)

• 2 weeks later...
We'll be there for sure!!

:shift:

Colin Sebern

Griggs Racing

Right on I can't wait to smoke that GR40 of yours on the track! ;)

Will you guys be there both days? I just paid the $375 for Saturday afternoon and Sunday all day.

:shift:

Ken

Will I be able to participate with my car? We haven't got the rollbar in yet so I think this will be a problem.

Minimum safety requirements for drivers and passengers:

• Helmet: Snell K98,SA2000,M2000,SA2005,M2005

• 2.5 lb. fire extinguisher mounted with metal bracket

Roll bar for ALL occupants in open-cockpit cars

• Full coverage, non-melting shoes in ALL groups

• Gloves (fire retardant or leather) in ALL groups

• Full-length cotton pants in Yellow, Red, and Green

• Long-sleeve cotton shirts in Yellow, Red, and Green

• 4-point safety harnesses in Green

Minimum safety requirements for drivers and passengers:

• Helmet: Snell K98,SA2000,M2000,SA2005,M2005

• 2.5 lb. fire extinguisher mounted with metal bracket

Roll bar for ALL occupants in open-cockpit cars

• Full coverage, non-melting shoes in ALL groups

• Gloves (fire retardant or leather) in ALL groups

• Full-length cotton pants in Yellow, Red, and Green

• Long-sleeve cotton shirts in Yellow, Red, and Green

• 4-point safety harnesses in Green

They certainly don't require the harnesses or fire extinguishers for the SAAC events.

I'll email my contact guy, Dana, and I'll get back to you asap.

Ken

p.s. Keep in mind that this isn't 'racing'. These aren't timed events and are just for fun. Lots of the regulations that the SCCA has for the same tracks do not apply for open track days.

I just received an answer from the guy with SAAC:

"Hi Ken,

Unfortunately the roll bar is a requirement for open track events.

We have some difficulty aligning abjectives wth both teams.

Scott"

I'm not sure what the 2nd sentence means, but it looks like I was wrong either way. <_<

Ken

I just received an answer from the guy with SAAC:

"Hi Ken,

Unfortunately the roll bar is a requirement for open track events.

We have some difficulty aligning abjectives wth both teams.

Scott"

I'm not sure what the 2nd sentence means, but it looks like I was wrong either way. <_<

Ken

Ken, thanks for looking into this. I still may want to join if I can at least be a passenger. I've never been on the track so this would be good experience to learn the rules of conduct. If I just participate in the Driving School, they may let me take my car on the track with no roll bar. Will they let me do that? Dana

Ken, thanks for looking into this. I still may want to join if I can at least be a passenger. I've never been on the track so this would be good experience to learn the rules of conduct. If I just participate in the Driving School, they may let me take my car on the track with no roll bar. Will they let me do that? Dana

Here's Scott's email with the Nor Cal SAAC shirose@mindspring.com

He'll definitely be able to answer any question you have. If he says no dice, you're more than welcome to ride along with me anytime!

Ken

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an FYI for anyone planning on heading to Thunderhill the 18th.

Ken

On Track Demonstration of GR40 Automobiles

April 18th, 2009 - Thunderhill Raceway - Nor Cal Shelby Spring Sprint

April 30th, 2009 - Laguna Seca Raceway - Track Masters

The Griggs Team will be out demonstrating the performance capabilities of street driven GR40 Series Mustangs. Again, if you are at all serious about purchasing a GR40 Mustang, or if you have any interest in upgrading your Mustang, Roush, Saleen, or Shelby to achieve unparalleled world conquering performance, come learn what the new GR40 experience is all about. We reiterate that one demo ride is proof of our superiority and an experience you will never forget!

Contact us no later than Wednesday April 15th to set up an appointment for your personal on-track demonstration. Respond to leah@grigg ing.com. Licensed experienced racers or top level open trackers desiring a driver’s seat demonstration; please contact us A.S.A.P. so that special arrangements can be made.

For those that would just like to experience the thrill of riding along with Bruce Griggs, John Griggs, Guy Cunningham, or Colin Sebern at speed in a GR40 Mustang on one of the most challenging race courses in the world, thrill rides for $40.00 per flying lap will also be available.

Due to scheduling pressures, you must make an appointment for either a fun ride or a demonstration. If you do not make an appointment, we cannot guarantee your ride. For thrill rides, a non-refundable deposit of $40.00 will be charged when you make your appointment. $40.00 pays for one flying lap. There is no cost for the out lap, the in lap, or yellow flag laps. After each flying lap, you will be asked if you want another lap. If you respond in the affirmative, another flying lap will be run and you will be charged an additional $40.00 for each such lap. You will be required to wear long sleeves and no shorts or dresses. Helmets will be provided if you don’t have one. You will be required to sign a release of liability. $10.00 per person will be charged at the gate for admission to Infineon Raceway.

Are you interested in a personal demonstration at another track, such as Infineon, Willow Springs, Buttonwillow, or California Speedway? Please respond so that we can include you in future GR40 demonstrations. If you live outside California, contact us and we may be able to arrange a demonstration through a third party in your area.

Feeling is Believing

Bruce Griggs

bg@grigg ing.com

Here's Scott's email with the Nor Cal SAAC shirose@mindspring.com

He'll definitely be able to answer any question you have. If he says no dice, you're more than welcome to ride along with me anytime!

Ken

I didn't think I could get away from work on 4/18 but things are looking better and better that I can be free. I will not know until Thursday. If I can get free, then I wouldn't mind going out on the track as a passenger. I wonder if there are any others in the San Jose Area that would be willing to cruise with me to this event?

Dana

I didn't think I could get away from work on 4/18 but things are looking better and better that I can be free. I will not know until Thursday. If I can get free, then I wouldn't mind going out on the track as a passenger. I wonder if there are any others in the San Jose Area that would be willing to cruise with me to this event?

Dana

I only know of one other guy besides Colin that's heading up for the track day. He lives in Lodi just south of Sac though. Maybe we could meet up with you along the 5?

Ken

Here are some pics from this past weekend at Thunderhill.

Carl and Colin were there, along with a few guys that I met last year. I had a great time Sunday. Saturday was rough, however, as my stock brakes took a dump after only a couple laps.

I had to drive 3 hours roundtrip for the parts, install them in my driveway, and miss 1/2 the weekend fun. The work was worth it though and now I'm CERTAIN that I need a brake upgrade along with some real brake cooling ducts. My Shelby ducts/PIAA lights will be on sale shortly. Anyway, enjoy the pics! I'll post more tomorrow.

Ken

_HOP3157.jpg

_HOP3126.jpg

_HOP3125.jpg

_HOP3100.jpg

_HOP3067.jpg

_HOP3068.jpg

_HOP3069.jpg

Ken,

How did you do out there when the brakes were good? Were you able to pull away from anybody and watch their jaw drop in your rearview mirror? Sorry I couldn't make it but work got in the away again.

Dana

Hey Dana sorry you couldn't make it!

As for how I did, I and others were shocked as to my car's performance. Colin even told me that he was very surprised as to how much power my car made.

As for the handling ability, I ran Porches, stock GT500's, and just about anything else through any corner. I'm still learning the track and how to drive with the extra power, but I had a ton more fun this time around with the new suspension, tires, and HP. Colin ran me around the track in his car a few times to help teach me the lines, which was infinitely helpful.

The guy with the Porsche GT-2 and another guy in an older, boosted Mustang found me in the paddock to ask what the hell I had done to my car that allowed me to bully them in the corners so badly. I just pointed them towards the Griggs trailer and told them I had only started racing about 6 months ago. :)

So get that roll bar put in man! With the power you're making combined with your GR40 setup, your car would be untouchable out there.

Ken

As for how I did, I and others were shocked as to my car's performance. Colin even told me that he was very surprised as to how much power my car made.

As for the handling ability, I ran Porches, stock GT500's, and just about anything else through any corner. I'm still learning the track and how to drive with the extra power, but I had a ton more fun this time around with the new suspension, tires, and HP. Colin ran me around the track in his car a few times to help teach me the lines, which was infinitely helpful.

The guy with the Porsche GT-2 and another guy in an older, boosted Mustang found me in the paddock to ask what the hell I had done to my car that allowed me to bully them in the corners so badly. I just pointed them towards the Griggs trailer and told them I had only started racing about 6 months ago. :)

So get that roll bar put in man! With the power you're making combined with your GR40 setup, your car would be untouchable out there.

Ken

Very cool, congrats Ken. It's fun making all those other "better handling" cars point you bye, and in a "MUSTANG" no less.

Way to represent Shelby.

Now THAT looks like a FUN Track to drive on... Too bad KS is sooooooo darn flat...

Nice pics!

Now imagine actually being able to drive into & thru the corners, rather than just "coasting" and hoping the brake pedal doesn't go all the way to the floor...

Gregg

07SGT0547

Now THAT looks like a FUN Track to drive on... Too bad KS is sooooooo darn flat...

Nice pics!

Now imagine actually being able to drive into & thru the corners, rather than just "coasting" and hoping the brake pedal doesn't go all the way to the floor...

Gregg

07SGT0547

LOL no kidding man! I'm all over this brake upgrade deal that you laid out. The stock brakes are worthless under that kind of a load. Thanks again for the detailed help!

Ken

LOL no kidding man! I'm all over this brake upgrade deal that you laid out. The stock brakes are worthless under that kind of a load. Thanks again for the detailed help!

Ken

I hope your results are similar to mine... Now I can focus on either adding the S/C or 4.10's Gears :shift:

Gregg

I hope your results are similar to mine... Now I can focus on either adding the S/C or 4.10's Gears :shift:

Gregg

I've gotten the S/C bug too again.. But the 4:10's I'm running seem to be too much for the track, so I'm swapping them out for 3:73's asap.

Anyway, I'll chime into your thread with how the brakes work out for me!

Ken

I've gotten the S/C bug too again.. But the 4:10's I'm running seem to be too much for the track, so I'm swapping them out for 3:73's asap.

Anyway, I'll chime into your thread with how the brakes work out for me!

Ken

Are the 4.10's too much because of your "extra" 50 RWHP over the Stock SGT ??? I was thinking that now I can drive faster into the corners and slow down more, that the taller gear would make a downshift into 2nd more effective... Not to mention, being able to run thru the gears (excluding 5th) quicker on the straights...

Am I missing something??? But it really does get boring running around the track in 3rd gear most of the time :headscratch:

Gregg

Are the 4.10's too much because of your "extra" 50 RWHP over the Stock SGT ??? I was thinking that now I can drive faster into the corners and slow down more, that the taller gear would make a downshift into 2nd more effective... Not to mention, being able to run thru the gears (excluding 5th) quicker on the straights...

Am I missing something??? But it really does get boring running around the track in 3rd gear most of the time :headscratch:

Gregg

No all of those things are true. However, I ended up shifting more than twice as often (in my own estimate) than when I was running the stock 3:55's and I constantly ended up in the 'wrong gear' in the turns and at the end of a straight. By the end of the longest straight away, I had the option of running in 4th at 5500 RPM's or shifting up to 5th (which would kill my time).

I've spoken to everyone that I know that knows anything about road racing and I've gotten the same answer, "3:90's are ideal, 4:10's are too much, 3:73's are recommended".

FRPP doesn't make a 3:90 and the companies that do haven't done a real good job at it apparently. The 4:10's are PERFECT for the street IMO. If I never tracked the car, I'd never use any other gear. But I would have had a lot more fun at the track with less gear IMO.

Good luck with whichever route you take.

Ken

No all of those things are true. However, I ended up shifting more than twice as often (in my own estimate) than when I was running the stock 3:55's and I constantly ended up in the 'wrong gear' in the turns and at the end of a straight. By the end of the longest straight away, I had the option of running in 4th at 5500 RPM's or shifting up to 5th (which would kill my time).

I've spoken to everyone that I know that knows anything about road racing and I've gotten the same answer, "3:90's are ideal, 4:10's are too much, 3:73's are recommended".

FRPP doesn't make a 3:90 and the companies that do haven't done a real good job at it apparently. The 4:10's are PERFECT for the street IMO. If I never tracked the car, I'd never use any other gear. But I would have had a lot more fun at the track with less gear IMO.

Good luck with whichever route you take.

Ken

Probably depends on the lengths of the track(s) as well... I just need to install an old-school "quick change" rear end... Now THAT would be the "Mother of All Mods"...

Maybe some day, we'll end up on the same track @ the same time... Drive Safe!

Gregg

Ken

Ken,

I know, I know. Gotta get the roll bar in. I need to either talk to John or Colin soon on how to get this done. I was thinking that I would simply go with a rear seat delete and get the install done by Griggs. This way I can take the roll bar out and install the rear seats without any modification (no cutting) to the seats. It should be a nice set up that way.

When I get this done you are going to have to show me how to drive Thunderhill. I would work my way up to your class after a few weekend runs and then just follow you around the course. I should be fun.

Dana

Archived