TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Master Cylinder Reservoir

I still am planning on painting the master cylinder reservoir with the Alsa Killer Chrome Paint (see previous posts), the weather has been lousy and I have been traveling a lot for work so it has been put off for now.

In the meantime I sent C&R Racing a master cylinder reservoir to see if they could make one out of aluminum for me. They can but without the brake fluid level sensor, anyone got any ideas on how to bypass he sensor ? And would that be the kiss of death ?

Thanks

Andrew

Andrew, DOT-3 and-4 brake fluids (mustangs use DOT-3, I believe) are hygroscopic (absorb and retain moisture) which will corrode aluminum so I think aluminum reservoir is not a good idea.

Also found this quote on a vintage brake troubleshoting site:

"Regular DOT type 3 or 4 brake fluid attracts moisture from the atmosphere, degrading the fluid and causing corrosion in brake and clutch cylinders. Girling clutch cylinders are aluminum and are especially prone to this problem."

-Dan

Andrew, DOT-3 and-4 brake fluids (mustangs use DOT-3, I believe) are hygroscopic (absorb and retain moisture) which will corrode aluminum so I think aluminum reservoir is not a good idea.

Also found this quote on a vintage brake troubleshoting site:

"Regular DOT type 3 or 4 brake fluid attracts moisture from the atmosphere, degrading the fluid and causing corrosion in brake and clutch cylinders. Girling clutch cylinders are aluminum and are especially prone to this problem."

-Dan

Thanks Dan I am always looking for advice.

Andrew

See if you can find out if the 5.1 dot brake fluid will corrode aluminum. i'm installing new shoes, rotors and lines next week and i'm going to use 5.1 brake fluid. This fluid will interchange with dot 3 and 4 fluid. There should be something out there that works. Good-Luck.

Archived