TEAM SHELBY FORUM

NEW CLUTCH

EUSMCBOB

I JUST HAD MY CLUTCH REPLACED PER TSB 08-16-04. I HAVE THE 735HP SS080050 AND HAVE 7905 EASY MILES ON IT. ABOUT 3000 MILES SINCE THE CONVERSION. I TOOK IT IN BECAUSE IT SHIFTED KIND OF HARD --BUT --THE REAL REASON WAS THAT WHILE IN FIRST GEAR AND ACCELERATING--NOT WOT JUST ACCERATING THE CAR WOULD START TO JERK AS THOUGH SOMETHING WAS DISCONNECTING AND I WOULD LOSE ALL POWER FOR A SPLIT SECOND AND THEN IT WOULD GRAB AGAIN AND REPEAT THE SAME PROCESS UNTIL I SHIFTED TO 2ND. SO NOW THAT EVERYTHING HAS BEEN REPLACED AND I JUST GOT IT BACK--IT STILL DOES THE SAME DAMN THING. ANYBODY HAVE THIS AND FIGURE OUT WHAT IT IS? I THINK I'VE READ MOST OF THE CLUTCH ISSUES HERE BUT THEY DON'T QUITE SEEM TO MATCH MY JERKING SITUATION.

THANKS FOR ANY INPUT

BOB

I JUST HAD MY CLUTCH REPLACED PER TSB 08-16-04. I HAVE THE 735HP SS080050 AND HAVE 7905 EASY MILES ON IT. ABOUT 3000 MILES SINCE THE CONVERSION. I TOOK IT IN BECAUSE IT SHIFTED KIND OF HARD --BUT --THE REAL REASON WAS THAT WHILE IN FIRST GEAR AND ACCELERATING--NOT WOT JUST ACCERATING THE CAR WOULD START TO JERK AS THOUGH SOMETHING WAS DISCONNECTING AND I WOULD LOSE ALL POWER FOR A SPLIT SECOND AND THEN IT WOULD GRAB AGAIN AND REPEAT THE SAME PROCESS UNTIL I SHIFTED TO 2ND. SO NOW THAT EVERYTHING HAS BEEN REPLACED AND I JUST GOT IT BACK--IT STILL DOES THE SAME DAMN THING. ANYBODY HAVE THIS AND FIGURE OUT WHAT IT IS? I THINK I'VE READ MOST OF THE CLUTCH ISSUES HERE BUT THEY DON'T QUITE SEEM TO MATCH MY JERKING SITUATION.

THANKS FOR ANY INPUT

BOB

if your problem occurs with the clutch fully engaged, it typically would not be a clutch problem as you described. More so what you probably have is an engine misfire or " chuggle". Can be caused by failing spark plug, cracked porcelain on spark plug , bad coil or hi tension wire. Take your car to someone that can scan the ecm and retrieve codes and freeze frame data. This will point you in the right direction.

best of luck

Al

THANKS FOR ANY INPUT

BOB

A little while back I started a topic concerning the TCS/Wheel Spin for the SS's. MM responded and said that when the TCS is engaged and you give the car the beans it does exactly what you are talking about. So, while MM is better to answer this question as my car is just getting to SAI for the upgrade it sounds like that may be the problem. Do you have the TCS disengaged?

JW

A little while back I started a topic concerning the TCS/Wheel Spin for the SS's. MM responded and said that when the TCS is engaged and you give the car the beans it does exactly what you are talking about. So, while MM is better to answer this question as my car is just getting to SAI for the upgrade it sounds like that may be the problem. Do you have the TCS disengaged?

JW

NO--THE TCS IS ON.

THERE IS ANOTHER PROBLEM THAT I HAVE BUT I'M NOT SURE IF THEY ARE CONNECTED OR NOT. TWICE I HAVE THE YELLOW ENGINE LIGHT COME ON AND THE CODES SAY'LEAN' AND 'MAF'. WE CAN'T FIND AIR LEAKS AND THE FUEL IS GOOD. WE HAVE BEEN WONERING IF THE SENDING OR SENSING UNIT LOCATED ON THE UNDERSIDE OF THE TUBE LEADING TO THE AIR CLEANER IS THE CAUSE. IT IS NOT A SOLID FITTING PIECE AND IS JUST ATTACHED WITH TAPE.

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT.

BOB

NO--THE TCS IS ON.

THERE IS ANOTHER PROBLEM THAT I HAVE BUT I'M NOT SURE IF THEY ARE CONNECTED OR NOT. TWICE I HAVE THE YELLOW ENGINE LIGHT COME ON AND THE CODES SAY'LEAN' AND 'MAF'. WE CAN'T FIND AIR LEAKS AND THE FUEL IS GOOD. WE HAVE BEEN WONERING IF THE SENDING OR SENSING UNIT LOCATED ON THE UNDERSIDE OF THE TUBE LEADING TO THE AIR CLEANER IS THE CAUSE. IT IS NOT A SOLID FITTING PIECE AND IS JUST ATTACHED WITH TAPE.

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT.

BOB

Any air leakage between the air flow meter and intake will cause a lean condition , could be you have a vacuum leak anywhere on the intake manifold or pcv system ( IE vacuum lines) could also be a bad or dirty MAF. Can you give me exact po codes and I can maybe shed some more light

Al

Any air leakage between the air flow meter and intake will cause a lean condition , could be you have a vacuum leak anywhere on the intake manifold or pcv system ( IE vacuum lines) could also be a bad or dirty MAF. Can you give me exact po codes and I can maybe shed some more light

Al

P0104 AND P0171-----THANKS-APPRECIATE IT.

BOB

NO--THE TCS IS ON.

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT.

BOB

As much as I gather in this fine forum is that you should be driving with the TCS off, not on! :doh: Your lean condion should be going away. Even Kenne Bell said something around that line. This said, if you having the TCS off and you are still getting the lean condition, then I would be concerned. :lurk:

SS

As much as I gather in this fine forum is that you should be driving with the TCS off, not on! :doh: Your lean condion should be going away. Even Kenne Bell said something around that line. This said, if you having the TCS off and you are still getting the lean condition, then I would be concerned. :lurk:

SS

I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST THE OTHER WAY AROUND. SO DOES THAT MEAN YOU CAN NOT USE TCS WITH KENNE BELLE.?

THANKS

BOB

I believe these are the same code # that MARKHAM had on his SS maybe he could help if he got his fixed yet.

I had the same codes after getting my car back from the super snake conversion (725hp) also my car would go into safe mode. I spoke with Ken from Kenne Bell and he put me in touch with a local tuner. Things we checked were the Maf being installed correct theres an arrow on it and it should be on the bottom also we changed the Mafia but that made no change. In the end it turned out being a bad trottle body (sticking). Changed out trottle body and the cars been running great

I had the same codes after getting my car back from the super snake conversion (725hp) also my car would go into safe mode. I spoke with Ken from Kenne Bell and he put me in touch with a local tuner. Things we checked were the Maf being installed correct theres an arrow on it and it should be on the bottom also we changed the Mafia but that made no change. In the end it turned out being a bad trottle body (sticking). Changed out trottle body and the cars been running great

HOW DID YOU GET TO THE THROTTLE BODY AS THE PROBLEM AND WHO PAID FOR THE REPLACEMENT?

APPRECIATE YOUR TAKING THE TIME.

BOB

HOW DID YOU GET TO THE THROTTLE BODY AS THE PROBLEM AND WHO PAID FOR THE REPLACEMENT?

APPRECIATE YOUR TAKING THE TIME.

BOB

Well we checked the basic's. Made sure everthing was tight there we no leaks and everthing was installed correct. Like I said we changed the Mafia just because and I still had problems. So I met up with the tuner one day and we took the car out and he was hooked up with his lap top and collecting data. Everthing was fine nothing seemed out of wack. He did have a few custumers that had the Kenne Bell stage 3 that had similar problems with there cars and found if they over tigthen the torque srews on the trottle body it would cause it to stick sometimes so we retorque the srews but I still had the same problems a few days later. I met up with him again and by chance he had a brand new trottle body at his house so we swapped it out. Since the change out everthing has been great no more issues. As far as who paid for it. I paid the tuner for his time (which was the best money I spent on the car. great guy). For the trottle body he did not charge me he keep my old one and I believe but I'm not sure he sent it back to Kenne Bell and they tested it and had the same problems with there car so they sent him a new to replace the bad one

Something else I would like to add. From my experience if I was you I would contact Kenne Bell like I said I spoke with Ken and he was very helpful and seamed geniunely concerned about my problems. I think Ken is a stand up guy and will do anything possible to help you resolve your problems. Kenne Bell makes a great product and they stand behind. Believe me I didn't feel this way when I started having probles with the car and I got off to a bad start with Ken but in the end I can't say enough good things about Ken and Kenne Bell products.

Take a close look at that MAFia. Start her up and tug on the wires a bit to make sure all the connections are solid. If you get any rough idling when messing with the wires, you've got a bad connection.

Contacting KB would be a good idea too. You might want to do some data logging as well. Plug in a laptop and see if you can reproduce the missing and chugging. That'll definitely get you in the right direction.

P0104 AND P0171-----THANKS-APPRECIATE IT.

BOB

Hi Bob,

code po104 usually sets if there is a problem with TPS, which in turn affect electronic throttle control.

Again check basics, vacuum leaks, air leaks, wire harnesses ect . I assume things are still covered on warranty by Ford or SAI or K Bell. start making some phone calls

best of luck

Al

I HAD HEARD THE SOME OF THE MAFS WERE GIVING A PROBLEM OR TWO.

I DIDNT THINK ABOUT THE TC BEING LEFT ON. I WAS TOLD NOT TO DRIVE THE CAR HARD WITH IT ON. THE COMPUTER WILL TRY TO LEAN THE CAR OUT TO GET TRACTION AND ITS REAL BAD.

I HOPE SAI AND KENNE BELL HELP YOU GET THIS WORKED OUT

TS MEMBERS ARE AWESOME!! ALOT OF GOOD OPTIONS TO TRY OUT.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK FOLKS

MM

(Typed in caps to help Bob read it)

I HAD HEARD THE SOME OF THE MAFS WERE GIVING A PROBLEM OR TWO.

I DIDNT THINK ABOUT THE TC BEING LEFT ON. I WAS TOLD NOT TO DRIVE THE CAR HARD WITH IT ON. THE COMPUTER WILL TRY TO LEAN THE CAR OUT TO GET TRACTION AND ITS REAL BAD.

I HOPE SAI AND KENNE BELL HELP YOU GET THIS WORKED OUT

TS MEMBERS ARE AWESOME!! ALOT OF GOOD OPTIONS TO TRY OUT.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK FOLKS

MM

(Typed in caps to help Bob read it)

HI MIKE---SENT AND EMAIL TO BUD AND KENNE BELL BUT NO RESPONSE YET.

I TOOK THE CAR OUT TODAY TO GET MORE INFO ON EXACTLY WHAT IS GOING ON WHEN THE JERKING STARTS. AS I SAID IT'S ONLY FIRST GEAR AND IT STARTS AT 4200 RPM WITH ZERO BOOST. IT DOES NOT DO IT EVERY TIME AND NOT ALWAYS AT 4200 BUT ZERO BOOST SEEMS TO BE CONSISTANT.

THANKS AGAIN

BOB

HI MIKE---SENT AND EMAIL TO BUD AND KENNE BELL BUT NO RESPONSE YET.

I TOOK THE CAR OUT TODAY TO GET MORE INFO ON EXACTLY WHAT IS GOING ON WHEN THE JERKING STARTS. AS I SAID IT'S ONLY FIRST GEAR AND IT STARTS AT 4200 RPM WITH ZERO BOOST. IT DOES NOT DO IT EVERY TIME AND NOT ALWAYS AT 4200 BUT ZERO BOOST SEEMS TO BE CONSISTANT.

THANKS AGAIN

BOB

Hey Bob, I was getting the same lean codes on my car as well, and after talking to and sending data to Ken at Kenne Bell, he mailed me a slightly tweaked tune to clear up the lean condition. very nice guy and a quick turn around. cars been fine ever since. P.S. at no cost to me other than the refundable deposit to make sure i sent the tuner back. Dan

Hey Bob, I was getting the same lean codes on my car as well, and after talking to and sending data to Ken at Kenne Bell, he mailed me a slightly tweaked tune to clear up the lean condition. very nice guy and a quick turn around. cars been fine ever since. P.S. at no cost to me other than the refundable deposit to make sure i sent the tuner back. Dan

HEY THANKS FOR THE INPUT. KEN HAS NOT GOT BACK TO ME YET BUT I DID PICK UP ON A MODIFICATION THAT THEY ARE GETTING READY TO RELEASE. IT IS SOMETHING THAT TRYS TO DEAL WITH THE AIR TURBULANCE COMING IN FROM THE HOLES ON THE UNDERSIDE OF THE HOOD THAT SETS OFF THE LEAN MESSAGE. TALK WAS ABOUT PUTTING SOME SORT OF PROTECTION AROUND THE SENSOR--A SCREEN WAS MENTIONED. IT WAS ALSO SUGGESTED TO PUT TAPE OVER THE HOLES AND RESET THE CODE AND THEN RUN IT AND SEE IF THE LIGHT STAYED OFF AND THE JERKING STOPPED. WILL TRY IT AS SOON AS I CAN GET THE CODE CLEARED.

BOB

Archived