TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The President's Helicopter

At the conclusion of a fiscal summit Monday where Obama, invited 100 participants from both sides of the aisle and business, when it came to taking questions he acknowledged Senator McCain first. Of course these sorts of reaching out actions by the President aren't normally acknowledged here.

McCain's question focused on the new fleet of Presidential helicopters ordered by President Bush and the cost overruns:

See video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0oex9Rt1to

At the conclusion of a fiscal summit Monday where Obama, invited 100 participants from both sides of the aisle and business, when it came to taking questions he acknowledged Senator McCain first. Of course these sorts of reaching out actions by the President aren't normally acknowledged here.

McCain's question focused on the new fleet of Presidential helicopters ordered by President Bush and the cost overruns:

See video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0oex9Rt1to

You'er beginning to sound like you want to have his baby! :hysterical:

I agree. I think we should acknowledge our Presidents willingness to reach out.

The problem is the people want him to reach out on legislation and ideas instead of a photo op.

He called the Stimulus bill "Bi-partisian" when there was (3) Repubs in Senate and none in House that voted yes. That is NOT Bi-partisian.

I guess I must have missed the Obama bashing stuff. I did see a lot of discontent for the pork I mean, stimulus package. And, It was just conservatives that had an issue with it. The American people want change. Obama campained on change but so far, all we have seen is the same old crap. Spend and tax. And before you say anything, I dont really blame Obama as much as I do the Dems in the house and Senate that see the election of Obama a a ticket to go back to thier old ways. We need REAL change

This is a bit off topic, but the talk of the 53's got me thinking of this...

When I was stationed in Hawaii, Clinton came for the celebration of the 50th anniversary of VJ day, and I was one of the ones "volunteered" to drive in the Presidential motorcade. At one point we were sitting around waiting on Marine One, and one of the white house guys (he had something to do with setting up the schedule) was in the van with me. We talked about the differences between Marine one and the CH-53's (which were being used to transport the press around LOL).

He said in Marine one it was a nice, quiet, comfortable ride. Then when he got on the 53 the crew handed everyone earplugs, a helmet (with the attached earmuffs), and a towel. So he said, he knew what the earplugs and helmet were for, but asked why the towel. He was a bit perplexed that it was for the hydrauic fluid that would inevitably drip on them (we had a rule, if a helo isn't leaking, don't get on it, cause its out) Imagine 2 CH-53's full of media people, in suits with all their equipment getting a hydraulic fluid shower LOL...

:rockon:

You still owe me a ride, prop wash boy!

Hey English Professor, that should read "rotor" vice "prop".

This is a bit off topic, but the talk of the 53's got me thinking of this...

When I was stationed in Hawaii, Clinton came for the celebration of the 50th anniversary of VJ day, and I was one of the ones "volunteered" to drive in the Presidential motorcade. At one point we were sitting around waiting on Marine One, and one of the white house guys (he had something to do with setting up the schedule) was in the van with me. We talked about the differences between Marine one and the CH-53's (which were being used to transport the press around LOL).

He said in Marine one it was a nice, quiet, comfortable ride. Then when he got on the 53 the crew handed everyone earplugs, a helmet (with the attached earmuffs), and a towel. So he said, he knew what the earplugs and helmet were for, but asked why the towel. He was a bit perplexed that it was for the hydrauic fluid that would inevitably drip on them (we had a rule, if a helo isn't leaking, don't get on it, cause its out) Imagine 2 CH-53's full of media people, in suits with all their equipment getting a hydraulic fluid shower LOL...

That is a true sentiment with the Big Iron. Every time a 53 turns up, Mother Nature weeps.

Hey, can anyone get in that line. I have flown in a UH-1 but never a larger bird whil in the AF

Sure, helo rides for all my friends! :happy feet:

*DISCLAIMER* This message is not officially endorsed by the US Government. :hysterical:

Hey English Professor, that should read "rotor" vice "prop".

That is a true sentiment with the Big Iron. Every time a 53 turns up, Mother Nature weeps.

Sure, helo rides for all my friends! :happy feet:

*DISCLAIMER* This message is not officially endorsed by the US Government. :hysterical:

Bring Ruff to Road America August 7,8,9 and take me for a ride, then Ill return the favor on the track. You know, one of those clebrity things :hysterical:

Some of you aviators correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the reason that the new Marine One is more expensive than Air Force One is because it has the latest electronics in it? I seem to recall a story about it where it's supposed to be safer from threats and better in communication.

If you really want to make a mess of the White House Lawn, select the CV-22 Oprey as the next "Marine One". Probably would set the lawn on fire.

Well, if it were a Marine V-22 it would be a MV-22. The AF uses the CV-22. I doubt it would start a fire, but it will leave nice big brown spots where the engines were. I'm not sure how the South Lawn would look with a bunch of brown spots all over the place.

Some of you aviators correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the reason that the new Marine One is more expensive than Air Force One is because it has the latest electronics in it? I seem to recall a story about it where it's supposed to be safer from threats and better in communication.

I've never heard that the new Marine Presidential Helicopters were more expensive than the 747's they use for Air Force One? Source? The VH-71 (the American version of the EH-101) is an already existing platform so I don't see how it would cost more than a 747.

I saw an interesting show the other night and it was about Marine 1. While the press shots only show Marine 1 landing or taking off, there are three, all identical. The other two are decoys and they are always flying in a rotating pattern so that people do not know which one the President is in.

So I guess the costs probably include the basic three helicopters plus backups incase one is down for repairs.

I've never heard that the new Marine Presidential Helicopters were more expensive than the 747's they use for Air Force One? Source? The VH-71 (the American version of the EH-101) is an already existing platform so I don't see how it would cost more than a 747.

It's what they've been reporting on the news for a few days. I don't know - or care - if it's accurate. I think the President should be flying around in state-of-the-art aircraft for several reasons.

I saw an interesting show the other night and it was about Marine 1. While the press shots only show Marine 1 landing or taking off, there are three, all identical. The other two are decoys and they are always flying in a rotating pattern so that people do not know which one the President is in.

So I guess the costs probably include the basic three helicopters plus backups incase one is down for repairs.

They dont want some frat boy exchange student taking the president

out with a stinger.

We can all understand that.

But what good do the 3 helis do when he takes off?

I mean, we just saw which heli he got into to!

unless, thats a stand in!

They dont want some frat boy exchange student taking the president

out with a stinger.

We can all understand that.

But what good do the 3 helis do when he takes off?

I mean, we just saw which heli he got into to!

unless, thats a stand in!

Dell in Nashville is right across the street from where AFO parks, and it's been here numerous times over the past 4.5 years I've worked here. Trust me: You wouldn't be able to get anywhere close enough with a Stinger to see which helicopter the President gets into. They have snipers on the roof of the Dell building and the hanger in front of which AFO parks.

It's being sold to the government therfore it needs to be 3-4 times, or more, regular price. :D

Anything in Aviation is expensive, government or not. One of my points was that this is an existing platform already in use around the world. Thus, costs should actually be not that bad because it isn't a one of a kind platform. Of course, there are going to be a lot of special "parts" to this helicopter so yes, it will be more expensive than say a normal production version for the military/civilian world. As far as numbers, yes there are more than one of these for use. Just like cars, airplanes need regular maintenance so while you may see one picking up the President at any given time, there are actually several more you don't see. the same with AF One, I believe there are 4 or 5 of those birds. That is why I find it hard to believe that the helicopters are more expensive than the 747's that get used.

By the way, to clarify for the record the designation "Air Force One" is the call sign of the aircraft that the President is flying in, same thing with Marine One etc. People often associate the name AF One/Marine One as being a specific jet/helicopter. It is not, it is that aircrafts call sign when carrying POTUS...this also helps out ATC.

Archived