TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Future Of SVT

KingCobra

Although there seems to be some rumours generating that the future of SVT may be in jeopardy, I don't see this happening, at least not in the near future. Alot of time and money has been spent building a new foundation for this division. Ford is generating alot of market excitement based in part on the involvement of SVT in product developement. Driving enthusiasts are going to become a large, lucrative, but demanding piece of the pie. As one of these customers, I am very specific on what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a car that is designed for exceptional performance, and that above all, in form and function excites the hell out of me. The market has become so saturated with quality product that emotion is the only thing in which they can win our attention, and devotion to a particular companies product. Ford, because of SVT, is positioned to be the most prepared to do just that.

Here's my thoughts:

1. The Ford GT (WOW).......is about to see the end of production (very low production car, due to design and price)

2. Shelby GT500.......if I'm right about the Ford GT ending production, then I can easily see that Ford will tune the GT500 to 500hp. Early speculation was that they would not want to impede on the performance power of the Ford GT with a car that costs a quarter of the price, unless they drop the low production of the Ford GT in favour of a higher production of the GT500 (half the profit, but 10x the units).

3. Clearly the Cobra was dropped from the Shelby GT500 for one obvious reason. Drop the Ford GT, increase the production of the Shelby GT500, and produce the New Generation Shelby Cobra Concept. Mustang V6 @ $20k, Mustang V8 @ $27k, Shelby GT500 @ $40k, and the Cobra @ $60k. Nice product line.

But, purely the speculation of one driving enthusiast.

Anybody else???

KingCobra.

Agree KingCobra. Ford needs all the good press they can get right now. SVT isn't a huge line for them, but as long as it doesn't loose them billions (as some of their other lines do) I can't see them killing this.

If I'm not mistaken, the GT was always meant as a low production car. The good thing was that they made sure that it was a money maker for them.

The Shelby will be the same. They're not making a whole new car. Improving on a current platform and making upgrades is much cheaper - and profitable. Again, why kill a program that is 1) going to make a profit and 2) has such good PR (just look at this forum as a good example)?

Let's hope Ford makes responsible cuts to regain profitability, and doesn't do anything they'll regret for years!

Although there seems to be some rumours generating that the future of SVT may be in jeopardy, I don't see this happening, at least not in the near future. Alot of time and money has been spent building a new foundation for this division. Ford is generating alot of market excitement based in part on the involvement of SVT in product developement. Driving enthusiasts are going to become a large, lucrative, but demanding piece of the pie. As one of these customers, I am very specific on what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a car that is designed for exceptional performance, and that above all, in form and function excites the hell out of me. The market has become so saturated with quality product that emotion is the only thing in which they can win our attention, and devotion to a particular companies product. Ford, because of SVT, is positioned to be the most prepared to do just that.

Here's my thoughts:

1. The Ford GT (WOW).......is about to see the end of production (very low production car, due to design and price)

2. Shelby GT500.......if I'm right about the Ford GT ending production, then I can easily see that Ford will tune the GT500 to 500hp. Early speculation was that they would not want to impede on the performance power of the Ford GT with a car that costs a quarter of the price, unless they drop the low production of the Ford GT in favour of a higher production of the GT500 (half the profit, but 10x the units).

3. Clearly the Cobra was dropped from the Shelby GT500 for one obvious reason. Drop the Ford GT, increase the production of the Shelby GT500, and produce the New Generation Shelby Cobra Concept. Mustang V6 @ $20k, Mustang V8 @ $27k, Shelby GT500 @ $40k, and the Cobra @ $60k. Nice product line.

But, purely the speculation of one driving enthusiast.

Anybody else???

KingCobra.

I don't think Ford has to tune the GT500 to 500 because of the GT. That car is allready between 550-600. It is not all about HP. The Ford GT has a lot more driving potential on the track than the Shelby.

The Cobra name was dropped and you could be right with a car above the Shelby, but that will probably a Cobra R. On the other hand. Now that there is a FR500C to buy, why would Ford bother with another track car, like the Cobra R's are. You can buy your body in white now and built it with all the goodies Ford Racing has, so there is no reason to produce another R. Pity, but true.

I think the're going to produce the New Shelby "Cobra" Concept in place of the Ford GT, as the new SVT top shelf product. Hence, dropping the "Cobra" from the GT500.

KingCobra.

Wouldn't that be a competitor of the Shelby Cobras built in Las Vegas? Ok, those cars do not have a V10 but are basically the same for a lower price.

Yes, in a way.

But, Shelby is also capitalizing on the re-release of the GT500 aswell.

Quite frankly, I think it would start a renewed interest in his cars aswell.

And, Baby have you seen that car???

It's "very horny baby"!!!!!!! (Austin Powers)

KingCobra.

Yes, in a way.

But, Shelby is also capitalizing on the re-release of the GT500 aswell.

Quite frankly, I think it would start a renewed interest in his cars aswell.

And, Baby have you seen that car???

It's "very horny baby"!!!!!!! (Austin Powers)

KingCobra.

Shall we shag now or later. Groovy.

Shall I tell you a secret. Now you are probably thinking: Man, that Dutch guy comes everywhere. Yep, I have over 40 days of vacation a year, Mustangs are in my blood, I am from the year of the Mustang, 1964. So I was stupid enough to fly to Detroit just for the unveiling of the 2005.

I was at the NAIAS 2004 when this Shelby Cobra concept car was showed to the public for the first time. I was there on one of the press days very early. Carroll was sitting by the car getting some make up for a tv interview. Nobody around. I had my Team Mustang Center Nederland jacket on and he got interested immediately and told me everything about the car. He said, I would let you sit in there, but they won't let me. He talked about the days in the 60s when he did business with Claude Dubois in Belgium, who made the Shelby Europa cars. He is a fine bloke. He wanted to give me an autograph, but I said talking to him personally is fine.

Shall we shag now or later. Groovy.

Shall I tell you a secret. Now you are probably thinking: Man, that Dutch guy comes everywhere. Yep, I have over 40 days of vacation a year, Mustangs are in my blood, I am from the year of the Mustang, 1964. So I was stupid enough to fly to Detroit just for the unveiling of the 2005.

I was at the NAIAS 2004 when this Shelby Cobra concept car was showed to the public for the first time. I was there on one of the press days very early. Carroll was sitting by the car getting some make up for a tv interview. Nobody around. I had my Team Mustang Center Nederland jacket on and he got interested immediately and told me everything about the car. He said, I would let you sit in there, but they won't let me. He talked about the days in the 60s when he did business with Claude Dubois in Belgium, who made the Shelby Europa cars. He is a fine bloke. He wanted to give me an autograph, but I said talking to him personally is fine.

WOW!!!!!

That's quite a story.

Got any pics???

It's a bit hard to believe you could turn down an autograph!!!!!

You Freaky-Deaky Dutchman.

KingCobra.

Not from that particular moment. I have one from the red 2005 Mustang GT that was introduced in the Cobo Arena. All press around and nobody dared to sit in it.

And then there was one stupid Dutchman that saw the door was unlocked and took a seat. I felt like Neil Armstrong. One small step for men, one giant leap for mankind.

J Mays came to me and I said I liked the interior. A photo was taken of me. I gave J Mays our club's Pony Corral magazine with an invitation to our 40th Anniversary in June 2004. Of course I heard nothing.

108_0843.JPG

108_0843.JPG

Not from that particular moment. I have one from the red 2005 Mustang GT that was introduced in the Cobo Arena. All press around and nobody dared to sit in it.

And then there was one stupid Dutchman that saw the door was unlocked and took a seat. I felt like Neil Armstrong. One small step for men, one giant leap for mankind.

J Mays came to me and I said I liked the interior. A photo was taken of me. I gave J Mays our club's Pony Corral magazine with an invitation to our 40th Anniversary in June 2004. Of course I heard nothing.

I hope you realize how privilaged you are to be able to get in on these "Press " days ,when the rest of us underprivleged have to wait for the "public" viewing. It must be very exciting when they unvail the car for the first time and you are one of the few to see it. In a way it an honor,especially when you have access to people like Carroll Shelby! That is very cool B) B) B) B) B)

I hope you realize how privilaged you are to be able to get in on these "Press " days ,when the rest of us underprivleged have to wait for the "public" viewing. It must be very exciting when they unvail the car for the first time and you are one of the few to see it. In a way it an honor,especially when you have access to people like Carroll Shelby! That is very cool B) B) B) B) B)

I am very privileged indeed and appreciate it very much. But you are no less than me, svtbird91. I am not a press bobo who pushes people aside to get the best photo, because that's what you see at those days.

I am kinda jealous at you guys, because a lot of Mustang things are very accessible for you and I have to pay premium for parts. That's why I bring extra suitcases on vacations to put those small blocks in. :lol::lol:

I am very privileged indeed and appreciate it very much. But you are no less than me, svtbird91. I am not a press bobo who pushes people aside to get the best photo, because that's what you see at those days.

I am kinda jealous at you guys, because a lot of Mustang things are very accessible for you and I have to pay premium for parts. That's why I bring extra suitcases on vacations to put those small blocks in. :lol::lol:

I guess we are all privilaged in the fact that we can have such great cars and that Ford has produced and is still producing even better performance cars today.

It must be tough to get parts and assessories, not to mention expensive where you live.

But I still think it must be cool to have an front row seat at these events. B)

Very cool pjcobra. Are your legs real long, or was the seat just pushed up?!?! Looked uncomfortable.

Pretty cool Pat!!!

What an experience.

Interesting to put a face to all the talk.

I think you and Dave (07Shelby) are the only ones so far.

We all should I guess.

KingCobra.

Have a look on my website www.stangnet.nl under mijn mustangs to see my cars and some more photos.

Have a look on my website www.stangnet.nl under mijn mustangs to see my cars and some more photos.

Very cool website, Pat, and a great story to go along with the neat story about the car @ Cobo! LOVE the Mach 1 you have....my first car was a '69 Mach! Yup, I'm tall, too (6'6"), so I have to stuff myself into everything I like!!!

You are a true Mustang enthusiast!!! B)

Very cool website, Pat, and a great story to go along with the neat story about the car @ Cobo! LOVE the Mach 1 you have....my first car was a '69 Mach! Yup, I'm tall, too (6'6"), so I have to stuff myself into everything I like!!!

You are a true Mustang enthusiast!!! B)

Thanks. The 69 Mach 1 is beautiful, the 97 Cobra is beautiful, but I have room for two cars in the garage. And with 07 GT500 plans in the making. What must I do? 97 outside?

My daughter Cheyenne Shelby was promised the 97 because it's her year of birth. So I may not sell it.

The 69 is my dreamcar and while I had it for sale, it fortunately did not sell. People do not know about the rarity of a CJ Shaker car and think they can buy it for 25K.

I can order one through two US import guys here. Since the Euro being so high they order lots of SUV, pick up and other cars from Ford, GM and D-C. One can get one for $1500 over MSRP and the other is not sure yet. So I am waiting too. What will be the price? Color?

You have to understand that I have to pay 10% import duty, 19% sales tax and a luxury tax of too much. So a $42K GT500 x.80 will cost 33500 Euro, but after the whole thing it costs me double 67000 Euro.

I probably have to sell one Mustang. :(

Ouch!!!

I'm shedding a tear for you my friend.....

sniff.....sniff.....

Now, let's get rocking!!!!!!!

But.....................

Do you disappoint your daughter and sell the '97,

or do you sell the Mach1..................

oh, don't do it man!!!!!!!

You can't sell the Mach 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KingCobra.

You have to understand that I have to pay 10% import duty, 19% sales tax and a luxury tax of too much. So a $42K GT500 x.80 will cost 33500 Euro, but after the whole thing it costs me double 67000 Euro.

I feel sorry for you European guys. You must hate hearing from guys here who complain about paying "only" 10K over MSRP! :angry: I bet you'd jump at that deal!

I feel sorry for you European guys. You must hate hearing from guys here who complain about paying "only" 10K over MSRP! :angry: I bet you'd jump at that deal!

You know the Dutch. We invented trading/negociating in the 17th century. Never want to pay too much.

Same with you, I think. That way you can have a spare for powerrrrrrrr upgrades.

What kind of upgrades would you expect Ford to offer for the GT500???

KingCobra.

Maybe a Drag Pack like they have for the Mustang GT. A 3.73 or 4.10 gear with intake stuff, different mufflers etc.. or a Suspension Pack or even better a Supercharger Upgrade Pack like they have in the works now for the Mustang GT.

Maybe a Drag Pack like they have for the Mustang GT. A 3.73 or 4.10 gear with intake stuff, different mufflers etc.. or a Suspension Pack or even better a Supercharger Upgrade Pack like they have in the works now for the Mustang GT.

WOW!!!!!!!

When do you think we'll get word on that stuff???

KingCobra.

Archived