TEAM SHELBY FORUM

First Solo

Yesterday was my first SOLO. I did three take off and landings. I have been learning how to fly a single engine Cherokee Warrior 140 for the last 10 months it took me 35 hours before I could solo, I have been learning at the Fairbault Airport here in MN. It was amazing doing this by myself without the flight instructor in the cockpit. Here are a few pictures of this incredibly special day in my life. Now tonight I do my first night flight with the instructor of course.

I know there are Pilots on Team Shelby so please post about your first solo

n770734492_2166440_4021.jpg

n770734492_2166437_3365.jpg

n770734492_2166438_3576.jpg

n770734492_2166439_3795.jpg

Bravo Zulu! :happy feet:

Yesterday was my first SOLO. I did three take off and landings. I have been learning how to fly a single engine Cherokee Warrior 140 for the last 10 months it took me 35 hours before I could solo, I have been learning at the Fairbault Airport here in MN. It was amazing doing this by myself without the flight instructor in the cockpit. Here are a few pictures of this incredibly special day in my life. Now tonight I do my first night flight with the instructor of course.

I know there are Pilots on Team Shelby so please post about your first solo

I'm also trying to add pictures to this but it just blinks and will not add the picture.

Thanks guys. I got the pictures posted now. I'm still on cloud 9

Cloud 9 ?.....How was it soft landing. :hysterical:

Congrats cc that was allways a dream of mine just never had the time...now I do just might do it.

Take more pics .... :happy feet:

Cloud 9 ?.....How was it soft landing. :hysterical:

Congrats cc that was allways a dream of mine just never had the time...now I do just might do it.

Take more pics .... :happy feet:

Very soft just like landing on a cotton ball. Its not that hard to learn you just have to stay dedicated to it. I have flown almost every Sunday morning since I started. It helps me stay focused and it also keeps me from partying on Saturday nights. I'll have my instructor take more photos tonight, its alot harder to land at night than the day.

Congratulations! That's a great!

I have my private pilots license and flying for the 1st time with out my instructor was something I'll remember for the rest of my life. He wasn't there nagging with the same sentence over and over, " WATCH YOUR ALTITUDE! AIRSPEED! HEADING! :rant:

Next you'll fly your solo X-country, that IMO is "the" best!

Congratulations! That's a great!

I have my private pilots license and flying for the 1st time with out my instructor was something I'll remember for the rest of my life. He wasn't there nagging with the same sentence over and over, " WATCH YOUR ALTITUDE! AIRSPEED! HEADING! :rant:

Next you'll fly your solo X-country, that IMO is "the" best!

Thanks. Yeah my instructor is the same I always hear his voice screaming at me even when I am not flying. I guess thats the way they drill the important stuff in our heads. He told me that my cross country solo will be to Souix Falls South Dakota and then to Rochester MN and then back to Fairbault MN. I asked him do I get to take his hand held GPS and he laughed and said NO you get to map it out the old fashion way. I'm still thinking I might stash a GPS unit in my coat. At this time I can't imagine flying to Souix Falls by myself but I'm sure when the time comes it will be no problem.

There are a couple things you never forget in your life and they are:

The day you bought your first Shelby

The day your first child is born.

The day you SOLO in an airplane

The day you marry your lady (Which I haven't done yet)

Congratulations.

I have never done anything so stressful but incredibly enjoyable at the same time and I have done it twice. Once in a Cessna and once in a helicopter. What I remember about the first one in the Cessna was two good landings. Then the tower operator asked if this was my first solo. After I said yes, he complemented my good landings for a first time solo. Of course, I bounced the next landing about 10 times.

Just wait until you do your long solo cross country.

Thanks. Yeah my instructor is the same I always hear his voice screaming at me even when I am not flying. I guess thats the way they drill the important stuff in our heads. He told me that my cross country solo will be to Souix Falls South Dakota and then to Rochester MN and then back to Fairbault MN. I asked him do I get to take his hand held GPS and he laughed and said NO you get to map it out the old fashion way. I'm still thinking I might stash a GPS unit in my coat. At this time I can't imagine flying to Souix Falls by myself but I'm sure when the time comes it will be no problem.

Don't bring your GPS, do your pre flight and you'll be fine.

My 1st X-country was from Gig Harbor WA to Port Angeles. My 2nd was from Gig Harbor to Scoopass OR then around Portland International(PDX) to Troutdale OR. I took off out of Troutdale on a really hot day and the Cessna 152 wasn't climbing as fast as it should and I was heading into PDX airspace. ATC calls me and said, Cessna turn right NOW! That through me off my course and I thought I was lost over Portland.

I grabbed my chart and found the Battleground VOR (navagational aid) dialed it in and I was back on course. I felt like Charles Lindberg navigating over the Atlantic, It was a blast!!

You might add getting your PP license to your list.

Congradulations

I got my license back when I was in college (seams like a lifetime ago). Did most of my flying in Ohio and West Virgina. Life and health has gotten in the way so I have been out of it for a long time.

Good luck getting your license and keep it up as long as you can. It is a great experience and a lot of fun.

Congratulations.

I have never done anything so stressful but incredibly enjoyable at the same time and I have done it twice. Once in a Cessna and once in a helicopter. What I remember about the first one in the Cessna was two good landings. Then the tower operator asked if this was my first solo. After I said yes, he complemented my good landings for a first time solo. Of course, I bounced the next landing about 10 times.

Just wait until you do your long solo cross country.

Thanks. Yeah my first landing was perfect. The last two I went to the end of the runway I didn't want to take any chance of stopping short on the ice. On the last one some guy was 8 miles out and called in that he was going to land at Fairbault I still took off, I knew I could take off and land before he got to the airport, so him and I were doing radio calls back and forth it did add a little more stress but it also made it more exciting he just followed me in the traffic pattern and it worked out perfect. The airport I learn at is a uncontrolled airport so it was nice not having a tower operator.

You forgot a biggy....The first time you got your hands on a lady. :hysterical:

Archived