TEAM SHELBY FORUM

type of oil

I know this is an old subject but did SAT ever decide which weight oil to use? Last I heard on the old was Bud at SAI said to use 5w 30 Syn. oil not the 5w 20 that owners manual says to use. I plan on using Mobil 1 5w-30 with Ford Racing oil filter, with spring coming and those of us that have stored thier cars, it is time to hear what eveyone thinks Ladies and gentlemen here we go!

If you go to the: mobiloil.com you'll find the specific difference between 5W-20 and 5W-30 including regular and full synthetic oil. Click on the product data sheet for any of their products and compare the numbers.

If your car company recommends 5W-20 there are several good reasons for this: The internal parts and clearances of your engine have been machined and fitted with the use of 5W-20 in mind. At low temperatures the oil pump is able to force a greater volume of oil to critical frictional surfaces rapidly. A full synthetic Mobil1 in particular pours at - 47 below 0 Fahrenheit. Regular 5W-20 pours at - 35 below 0. Cold starts ( Summer and Winter) is where 80% of all engine wear occurs. It's to the motors advantage to allow the oil pump to force oil upstairs inside the oil galleries quickly.

At the other end of the spectrum, the lower the viscosity of the oil *adsorbs heat more efficiently from the inside of the engine. As it drops back down into the oil pan it cools off faster than a higher viscosity oil. Light weight oil actually averages cooler oil temperature than higher viscosity oil when the motor is up to operating temperature.

I don't know if you're a race fan or not but if you go to Joe Gibbs Racing Oil you'll see the viscosity motor oils used for qualifying laps: 0W. When restrictor plates are used during compition: 0W-20. When restrictor plates are not used and they unleash their full 875 horsepower motors: 5W-20.

There is really no benefit of forcing the oil pump added drag and resistance and rob you of horsepower and fuel economy by forcing 5W-30 through the oil galleries when the engine is at maximum temperature. Low viscosity motor oil allows the oil pump to turn easier at all temperatures.

Motor oil quality has gotten better as of recent years. Detergents, EP (extreme pressure)properties and oxidation resistance have been greatly improved. If your car is still under factory warranty I wouldn't second guess their judgment. Visit with your service manager at the dealership the next time you have your oil changed concerning the oil viscosity that's been chosen for your car's engine. I use what the car recommends and have experienced zero issues with not only this car but my Vette, Mercedes, Acura and Nissan's.

Page 2. I use the 0W-30 synthetic. It flows at -54. No, my SGT has never experienced -54 degree temps but the oil flows quicker during start up. About 90% of engine wear occurs when you first turn the key and the oil is in the sump. 20 weight may cool the engine but the 30 weight offers a thicker film protection than the 20 weight. The 4.6 engine was designed back around 1991. To my knowledge the bearing clearances have not been changed to compensate for 20 weight oil. With that in mind there should be no problems using the 0W-30 oil and gaining extra wear protection. Ford claimed .16 mpg by switching to 5W-20 so this may also be done to assist with CAFE standards.

Either way, good, clean, high quality oil. I prefer synthetic as it is less likely to break down at high temps and flows quicker at startup. There is a new Castrol synthetic that claims to have 8x less wear than Mobil One. I also recommend buying the best filter trapping the smallest microns on multiple pass efficiency.

Good Luck.

PS- someone else can start page 3.

Page 2. I use the 0W-30 synthetic. It flows at -54. No, my SGT has never experienced -54 degree temps but the oil flows quicker during start up. About 90% of engine wear occurs when you first turn the key and the oil is in the sump. 20 weight may cool the engine but the 30 weight offers a thicker film protection than the 20 weight. The 4.6 engine was designed back around 1991. To my knowledge the bearing clearances have not been changed to compensate for 20 weight oil. With that in mind there should be no problems using the 0W-30 oil and gaining extra wear protection. Ford claimed .16 mpg by switching to 5W-20 so this may also be done to assist with CAFE standards.

Either way, good, clean, high quality oil. I prefer synthetic as it is less likely to break down at high temps and flows quicker at startup. There is a new Castrol synthetic that claims to have 8x less wear than Mobil One. I also recommend buying the best filter trapping the smallest microns on multiple pass efficiency.

Good Luck.

PS- someone else can start page 3.

I went with Canton Racing oil filter, filters down to 8 microns and looks trick as well, billet stainless with cartride. Royal Purple full synthetic motor oil and synchromesh trans fluid. I could feel and hear the difference in motor and trans instanly, well worth the extra money.

I have only had 1 Oil change and I used a Motorcraft Filter and Motorcraft 5w-20 Synthetic Blend. That oil is one of the best rated out there and I change it every 2500 miles due to only putting less than 5000 miles a year on the car. If or when I supercharge this may change, but until then I am all set.

I have only had 1 Oil change and I used a Motorcraft Filter and Motorcraft 5w-20 Synthetic Blend. That oil is one of the best rated out there and I change it every 2500 miles due to only putting less than 5000 miles a year on the car. If or when I supercharge this may change, but until then I am all set.

+1

Archived