TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Keep my SGT Vert or get a GT500?

Mustang_Scotty

OK. I have one of those crazy Ideas again. I'm pondering selling/trading my SGT Vert w/ 300 miles on the ticker and never registered for a GT500. Now I just need some feedback to really make up my mind. Heres my thought process. I love the SGT because it comes from SAI and because of it's limited status. But I keep saying it's not a GT500. I love the look of both but the nose of the 500 is just sinister, along with the 500HP. I have been talking to Michael Morris and he gave me the idea of having the SGT Supercharged and then I would have a limited SGT/SC. I love the ragtop too as the 500 I would get will be coupe. And I dont want to race the car, just show off! Man I'm having trouble deciding. Can someone help me make up my mind? I posted this on the GT500 forum also just in case the SGT people dont dare go over there

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK. I have one of those crazy Ideas again. I'm pondering selling/trading my SGT Vert w/ 300 miles on the ticker and never registered for a GT500. Now I just need some feedback to really make up my mind. Heres my thought process. I love the SGT because it comes from SAI and because of it's limited status. But I keep saying it's not a GT500. I love the look of both but the nose of the 500 is just sinister, along with the 500HP. I have been talking to Michael Morris and he gave me the idea of having the SGT Supercharged and then I would have a limited SGT/SC. I love the ragtop too as the 500 I would get will be coupe. And I dont want to race the car, just show off! Man I'm having trouble deciding. Can someone help me make up my mind? I posted this on the GT500 forum also just in case the SGT people dont dare go over there

Seems to me like your leaning toward the 500 due to looks and power. Ok you can S/C the SGT and get the power but not have the looks you desire.

If you want a 500 make the deal and don't look back. Both are Shelby's.

MS, I did just the opposite. Had a 2007 GT500 with heavy mods, sold it and bought a 2008 SGT/C. I look at it this way, the GTH and SGT are the first Mustangs to be modified by Shelby in over 35 years and carry a CSM number. Both (GTH and SGT) are limited and not made any more. You can add a SC to both and have all the power one needs for the street. The GT500 is a very nice and is getting better with each model year. We are now seeing the 4th year of production for the GT500 which will probably run till at least 2012. Can't wait to see the 2011 & 2012MY's.

I have not driven the 500

I would start there. You know what you have.

The GT500s are quite different. There are many GT500

owners out there from this forum who would be able to help

you get acquainted with a 500. I arranged such a test drive

for myself over a year ago and never looked back.

I'm going to suggest keeping the SGT and adding the supercharger to it. You've got such a GREAT setup on the car already. It's very well balanced and doesn't carry the extra weight of the GT500 due to the 5.4 motor. With the supercharger on your SGT, you'll get the same GO!! of the GT500 and actually be quicker / more nimble than the Stock GT500.

Shelby GT/SC - modifications completed at S.A.I. or an approved Shelby MOD shop are going to be rare and hard to come by - it's actually a setup that will be put in the Shelby Registry that your car #_ _ _ _ was supercharged with a _________ supercharger / gauge pod at ________ an approved MOD Shop of S.A.I.

The GT500 is a GREAT car in it's own respect - don't get me wrong in the slightest. Although the GT500 doesn't get the CSM# from S.A.I. that you get with your Shelby GT, it is STILL a Shelby!!!

I agree with what was said earlier - the Shelby GT-H and Shelby GT were some of the first 'Package' cars produced by S.A.I. in many years and you've got one of those in your possession!! That's already becoming rare believe it or not ;)

Some would be happy to have both a Shelby GT and a GT500 (me included) but most don't necessarilly have the coin to support the Shelby "Sickness" that we've all come to be infected with!

If you are going to sell your GT and then buy a GT500 it will probably cost you more than the 8-10K for the S/C for the GT. Personally, I would keep the GT as they are done by Shelby and not SVT. I am not knocking the GT500 or SVT by the way, just pointing out an important element. I too would like to own one of each, but since my last name is not Gates or Buffett, I don't see it happening.

Do take a GT500 out for a test ride before you make your final decision.

After this post I learned exactly what you are saying. I agree totally. The price is the same with a exclusivness that cannot compare.

If you are going to sell your GT and then buy a GT500 it will probably cost you more than the 8-10K for the S/C for the GT. Personally, I would keep the GT as they are done by Shelby and not SVT. I am not knocking the GT500 or SVT by the way, just pointing out an important element. I too would like to own one of each, but since my last name is not Gates or Buffett, I don't see it happening.

Do take a GT500 out for a test ride before you make your final decision.

I have somewhat of the same problem.

I test drove both the GT500 as well as a SGT.

I made the mistake of test driving the SGT first and now I'm hooked.

I have yet to buy either, but I'm leaning towards the SGT.

Don't get me wrong, they ARE both beautiful.

Everyone knows what a GT500 is, but only the car guys know what a SGT is.

I'm sure your getting the exact opposite opinions on the gt500 thread...Problem is people will normally side with what they have and all their opinions will be biased...I have never driven the gt500 and actually never heard of the SGT until I bought mine...Personally I would rather have the gt500 but I'm not sure It's worth the depreciation of your trade to make it worth while...you can always mod this or mod that but I personally like to start with the best car I can afford and mod from there...You can make a SGT as fast or faster than a gt500 with a supercharger...But then you can upgrade a gt500 to a SS...So it's all in what you want...

I'm sure your getting the exact opposite opinions on the gt500 thread...Problem is people will normally side with what they have and all their opinions will be biased...I have never driven the gt500 and actually never heard of the SGT until I bought mine...Personally I would rather have the gt500 but I'm not sure It's worth the depreciation of your trade to make it worth while...you can always mod this or mod that but I personally like to start with the best car I can afford and mod from there...You can make a SGT as fast or faster than a gt500 with a supercharger...But then you can upgrade a gt500 to a SS...So it's all in what you want...

both...

Your Shelby-GT has the looks and the handling . The 500 has the power. You can have it both ways by s/charging your car for thousands less than trading -in.You also have a rag top and there are very few s/c ragtops. Your car would be very rare. Iwish i had bought a rag-top but they didn't have them in 07 when i bought my black Shelby g/t. I'm jealous just thinking about what you have and what you could have. Good luck.

Your Shelby-GT has the looks and the handling . The 500 has the power. You can have it both ways by s/charging your car for thousands less than trading -in.You also have a rag top and there are very few s/c ragtops. Your car would be very rare. Iwish i had bought a rag-top but they didn't have them in 07 when i bought my black Shelby g/t. I'm jealous just thinking about what you have and what you could have. Good luck.

Well if you get the big dog, then you do not have to listen to the Baby Shelby remark. Better value on the G.T. 500 as it is listed as a real car in the Kelly blue book. The 2010 G.t. 500 is sweet! I like my SGT, but I might get a 2010 500. I do not care about a CSM number. SUDDEN.

Well if you get the big dog, then you do not have to listen to the Baby Shelby remark. Better value on the G.T. 500 as it is listed as a real car in the Kelly blue book. The 2010 G.t. 500 is sweet! I like my SGT, but I might get a 2010 500. I do not care about a CSM number. SUDDEN.

I'll wait for the 2012 45th Anniversary GT500

Archived