TEAM SHELBY FORUM

BEWARE, road force wheel balamnce

gordyk

I've been having some vibration issues and when i got my car back from having the Ford dealer balance my tires, i find all 4 of my wheels scratched by their Road Force Wheel Balancer. I cannot figure out how to attach a picture to this post, if anyone wants to see a pic, i'll need help attaching. My vibration problem still isnt fixed so when i bring it back to the dealer I will find out the brand and model of the balance machine. Has anyone else ran into this problem, if so were you able to buff out the scratchs?

GordyK,

It wasn't the Road Force Variation machine that scratched your wheels, it was the tech that mounted the wheels to the machine. I think you are refering to the Hunter GP9700 machine and there is no way to scratch the wheel when it is doing it's thing. However when the tech puts the wheel on the spindle, that is where it happens. I would make them either get the wheel fixed or make them pay for it.

GordyK,

It wasn't the Road Force Variation machine that scratched your wheels, it was the tech that mounted the wheels to the machine. I think you are refering to the Hunter GP9700 machine and there is no way to scratch the wheel when it is doing it's thing. However when the tech puts the wheel on the spindle, that is where it happens. I would make them either get the wheel fixed or make them pay for it.

All 4 wheels are scratched all the way around on the outside of the rim, the service advisor said that the machine has a wheel or something that runs on the rim. I wonder how the tech can do that much damage to all 4 wheels? Do you have personal experience with these machines? Gordy

All 4 wheels are scratched all the way around on the outside of the rim, the service advisor said that the machine has a wheel or something that runs on the rim. I wonder how the tech can do that much damage to all 4 wheels? Do you have personal experience with these machines? Gordy

It's not the balancer that scratched the wheels (I'm guessing the scratch is around 7-10 mm. from the edge of the wheel ... all the way around ? )

If so , during road force the procedure it requires the tech to dismount the tire from the wheel and relocate it to decrease the amount of roadforce = less weight used to balance wheel/tire .

Now if a table top mount / dismount machine was used (can't remember the hunter number for this machine ) it will scratch the wheel if not used correctly . That being said pretty much any machine used incorrectly will screw up a tire/wheel .

As far as the balancer scratching your wheels like that (without seeing pictures) , keep in mind the balancer was not the only machine used during that service .

I don't know if you've gotten a look at the road force balance machine, but it is not that much different than a regular balance machine in looks, other than a small drum which presses against the tire to simulate the road (hence; road force balance). Obviously there are other electronic enhancements which make this system work, but the basics are there. I've never seen a piece on a RFB machine which would cause the damage you showed. It looks more like damage that would be caused by somone on a mount/dismount machine, not any type of balancer I've ever seen.

i have a road force machine in my dealership, and there is no way it is the tire balancer,

unless they do not know how to use it and are idiots, the pic looks like that the wheel that does run outs is dirty? are you sure its not dirt??

there is a plastic wheel that runs about there :headscratch:

I've been having some vibration issues and when i got my car back from having the Ford dealer balance my tires, i find all 4 of my wheels scratched by their Road Force Wheel Balancer. I cannot figure out how to attach a picture to this post, if anyone wants to see a pic, i'll need help attaching. My vibration problem still isnt fixed so when i bring it back to the dealer I will find out the brand and model of the balance machine. Has anyone else ran into this problem, if so were you able to buff out the scratchs?
Which dealer did you use? My belief if it is on each wheel and on the same spot it had to have been done while in service -there is no way it could be on each wheel in the exact same spot unless by a machine. Where I take my tires their machine does not touch the rims- that does not mean it could not- person error- but I stress do not touch the rims and if you cannot do it right I will find someone else- it works and I am even get the same tire changer on each change- I switch tire sizes on the rear tires quite often- take the car to Discount tire on Oracle and ask for Aaron- he is a car nut and will give you the info you need- tell him Ron sent you. Good to have a backup opinion. He will know where those marks came from- Company call nu life does rims in Tucson and could repair if necessary but I would make the dealer eat the mistake and ask for new rims- Click owns both ford dealers and I do not like the

tuttle operation. Also I would guess the tire in the picture was dirty only after you had the service done- always bring your car very detailed to the dealer and make them walk around the car noting any marks- I know where evey little chip and mark is on my car including the rims. Never let them wash the car after- Click on 22nd has an automatic wash and who knows maybe it happened there. At any rate I do not believe it was caused by the driver.

Which dealer did you use? My belief if it is on each wheel and on the same spot it had to have been done while in service -there is no way it could be on each wheel in the exact same spot unless by a machine. Where I take my tires their machine does not touch the rims- that does not mean it could not- person error- but I stress do not touch the rims and if you cannot do it right I will find someone else- it works and I am even get the same tire changer on each change- I switch tire sizes on the rear tires quite often- take the car to Discount tire on Oracle and ask for Aaron- he is a car nut and will give you the info you need- tell him Ron sent you. Good to have a backup opinion. He will know where those marks came from- Company call nu life does rims in Tucson and could repair if necessary but I would make the dealer eat the mistake and ask for new rims- Click owns both ford dealers and I do not like the

tuttle operation. Also I would guess the tire in the picture was dirty only after you had the service done- always bring your car very detailed to the dealer and make them walk around the car noting any marks- I know where evey little chip and mark is on my car including the rims. Never let them wash the car after- Click on 22nd has an automatic wash and who knows maybe it happened there. At any rate I do not believe it was caused by the driver.

I've been getting all my service work, including this vibration issue, done at Click Ford on 22nd. After reading the posts here, i've come to the conclusion that the tire guy at Clicks must have done the damage while dismounting them. They haven"t washed it, as i have told them i dont want it run through there auto wash rack. Man, you just have to stand over them every minute or they will mess something up. It is very discouraging.

i have a road force machine in my dealership, and there is no way it is the tire balancer,

unless they do not know how to use it and are idiots, the pic looks like that the wheel that does run outs is dirty? are you sure its not dirt??

there is a plastic wheel that runs about there :headscratch:

No, its definately not dirt, but could it be caused by this plastic wheel if my wheels were dirty with brake dust and this plastic wheel forces the brake dust into the coating on the rims? I've worked on one of the damaged wheels with polishing compound and i can get most of the scratchs removed. My car still has the vibration issue, it looks like they may have to replace all the tires, when i take it back there, i'll have to raise soom he**.

No, its definately not dirt, but could it be caused by this plastic wheel if my wheels were dirty with brake dust and this plastic wheel forces the brake dust into the coating on the rims? I've worked on one of the damaged wheels with polishing compound and i can get most of the scratchs removed. My car still has the vibration issue, it looks like they may have to replace all the tires, when i take it back there, i'll have to raise soom he**.

the lines could have come a dirty wheel or if they had the metal ball for the steel wheels on instead!!

i went back and looked at mine and them are the only 2 ways i could fiqure out how to make the marks on your wheels

i'd raise friggin heck !!!!!

Archived