TEAM SHELBY FORUM

gear change

I love my SGT with the 4:10s.

To me, it made the car feel like it should from day one, more stout.

1st gear gets shortened to a more correct length ( I always felt it took a second or 2 too long to get thru it)

My 5th gear rpms went from 2200 to 2600 at 80 mph.

But I drove in 4th all the time cause I felt like 5th was a dead gear....

its not anymore.

I got mine a year ago, so I dont remember all the details.

It does change the car, for me, it was for the better.

Love them.

Note**I got my custom tune at the same time as the gears, so some of my

changes are no doubt due to the tune as well.**

Pretty much agree. Changes the acceleration of the car to where it should have felt. I've gotten so use to it now that I'm not sure I could ever go back. Well worth the $ in my opinion. Don't forget you'll have to change the gear ratio in your PCM for the new gears or your speedo will be off.

Are any of you guys planning to add a supercharger? It's "recommended" that we go with 3.73s for "overall best driveability" either supercharged or not. I sorta feel like 4.10s are a little overkill if you're going to supercharge your SGT. . . . . . If you're not going to supercharge your ride - then 4.10s will "wake her up" as other's have said.

If I wasn't going to supercharge mine, I'd be going with the 4.10s myself! Let us know what you think when you get it done!!

Trevor

Mine goes under the knife next week to strap on the S/C and i'm going to keep the 4:10's unless for some reason I think it's a bit much. I'm only doing the FRPP 400HP S/C so I don't anticipate it being much of an issue. I'm sure when you're putting down 500+HP it may be a different story.

Mine goes under the knife next week to strap on the S/C and i'm going to keep the 4:10's unless for some reason I think it's a bit much. I'm only doing the FRPP 400HP S/C so I don't anticipate it being much of an issue. I'm sure when you're putting down 500+HP it may be a different story.

Whats the cost difference on the 400 HP SC compared to the 500HP Whipple?

Thanks

I just had my 4:10's installed last week. I was hesitant to get on it during the 500 mile break in, but I passed that (and changed the diff oil) yesterday.

Today, I finally got a chance to 'drive' my SGT with the new gears. It's definitely noticeable. I have available torque throughout all 5 gears that I could never tap into before.

It's really more fun to drive now. FYI I plan on supercharging with the 4:10's in the near future also.

Good luck.

Ken

I just had my 4:10's installed last week. I was hesitant to get on it during the 500 mile break in, but I passed that (and changed the diff oil) yesterday.

Today, I finally got a chance to 'drive' my SGT with the new gears. It's definitely noticeable. I have available torque throughout all 5 gears that I could never tap into before.

It's really more fun to drive now. FYI I plan on supercharging with the 4:10's in the near future also.

Good luck.

Ken

Just what I wanted to hear. What about your speedo ..what did you do?

Just what I wanted to hear. What about your speedo ..what did you do?

If you have a programmer (SCT, Diablo, etc), it's really easy.

You just plug the tuner in, find your vehicle settings, and modify the gear ratio to represent your new gears.

From there, you reload the tune you were already running and you're good to go.

If you don't have a hand held, you'll have to find a shop that can change your tune for you. Good luck.

Ken

If you have a programmer (SCT, Diablo, etc), it's really easy.

You just plug the tuner in, find your vehicle settings, and modify the gear ratio to represent your new gears.

From there, you reload the tune you were already running and you're good to go.

If you don't have a hand held, you'll have to find a shop that can change your tune for you. Good luck.

Ken

Thanks Ken. Which programmer do you recommend?

Thanks Ken. Which programmer do you recommend?

I use the SCT Livewire, which I love a lot, but it's got a lot of little extra gadgets that most find unnecessary, I'm sure.

Any programmer built by SCT is definitely my recommendation.

Good luck!

Ken

Archived