TEAM SHELBY FORUM

So what do you guys think about 'Clones'?

Matts

I know this topic has popped up in this past, but it seemed a little unnecessary to post on a two year old topic.

The reason why I am asking is that I am a full time college student as well as a full time bank employee.

My main concern right now is finishing up school and obtaining my finance degree as well as passing my Series 7 exam.

Being a Australian native I was introduced to America's economy and their "performance".

Seeing my fellow co-workers getting canned left and right, I feel that I'm next.

As many of you are aware I tried buying a 2007 Shelby GT and was docked with a 18% interest rate and a 2007 Shelby GT 500 with a 16% interest rate and I also made the decision to sell my Saleen.

I would LOVE to own a real/authentic Shelby now, but my job is kinda on the rocky side due to the economy.

Though I have found several 2005 Mustang GT convertibles for under $15,000 and I plan on making a Hertz clone. I have always dreamed about owning a '66 Hertz Mustang and when I saw the '06 I knew I had to have one.

So my question is to you guys what do you guys think of clones?

I know this topic has popped up in this past, but it seemed a little unnecessary to post on a two year old topic.

The reason why I am asking is that I am a full time college student as well as a full time bank employee.

My main concern right now is finishing up school and obtaining my finance degree as well as passing my Series 7 exam.

Being a Australian native I was introduced to America's economy and their "performance".

Seeing my fellow co-workers getting canned left and right, I feel that I'm next.

As many of you are aware I tried buying a 2007 Shelby GT and was docked with a 18% interest rate and a 2007 Shelby GT 500 with a 16% interest rate and I also made the decision to sell my Saleen.

I would LOVE to own a real/authentic Shelby now, but my job is kinda on the rocky side due to the economy.

Though I have found several 2005 Mustang GT convertibles for under $15,000 and I plan on making a Hertz clone. I have always dreamed about owning a '66 Hertz Mustang and when I saw the '06 I knew I had to have one.

If you would love to own Shelby and dreamed about a 66 Hertz, spending money on a clone won't get you any closer to that goal.

However, you should do what you want to do. If you're happy with it that's all that matters

I can't stand clones. IMHO, they're cheesy, never look the same, and everyone knows it's a clone.

Building a Hertz clone out of an 05-09 would be great, if the GT-H didn't exist.

Building a GT350 clone out of any vintage except the 65-70 is ok in my book (not that my book matters to anyone but me).

But trying to replicate a Shelby (or any limited packaged auto, for that matter) exactly in the same vintage is hokey.

If you can't spot the dough for a real Shelby now, buy a Mustang and customize it the way YOU want it.

However, given the options that SAI is currently offering, it doesn't seem that unattainable.

You can find a used V6 for under $10K, then ship it off for the base Terlingua package for $9K. With less than $20K invested, you've got the most identifiable Shelby mark, a CSM#. From there, you can supercharge it and blow the doors off of any stock SGT out there. I'd think about it before committing any money to a clone. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Ken

I don't like clones. I think you should wait until your job is secure and buy the Shelby you want!!! :soapbox: You'll be happier in the end result, I think.

I've always felt the same way about 'clones', whether it's Mulbys or kit Cobras, either they're the real thing or their not. Call it continuation, tribute or whatever, it's still not an original. If you get a 'regular' Mustang and snake it out, you'll always know deep in your heart that it isn't the real thing. That make set with you fine, but if you're a real enthusiast it probably won't. And there will be a day to come that what you want will present itself. To see that light and not be able to complete that quest because you have something less desirable hindering you would be the coldest slap in the face.

Why should you care what we think about it. It's your car have fun with it.

I'd go through this thread and see the pain that this guy went through:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=36957

His car is amazing, beautiful, and fast. However, he still has the yearn for a real Shelby. He probably has more money in this car than it would take to get a GT500 with equal performance. So I'd say do what you like, but you will probably feel the same as this guy in knowing you don't have a Shelby. Prices will probably continue to decline for a while. I'd wait and get a good deal on a real Shelby when you can. Thing about a clone is, you'll know and you'll always be asked about it. But that's just my opinion.

You have to be careful. You will NEVER get the money out of it that you spend modding it.

Which brings up the biggest problem with clones. Once a seller realizes he can get more for his clone by not disclosing its a clone the easier it is for them to make the decision to go that route.

I'm not saying the OP would do that when the time comes to sell his clone but how can he guarantee that the next owner would be so honest?

The good part is that the SAI registry should help educated buyers from purchasing a clone but what about the buyers who are just learning about Shelby's and don't know what to look for?

In my opinion clones hurt the value of the legit cars so I'm personally against them.

Steve

Modding a mustang to suit one's personal taste is ok even if one's taste is lacking. It's your car, you make the payments do what you want.

Buying a clone for the purpose of fooling people is dishonorable and not looked well upon by anyone with any maturity about them. One might as well buy a blow-up doll and introduce it as their wife/husband.

Wait for the real thing.

I have a highly modified Mustang GT with styling cues from a GT500. My car is not a clone, it is a hot rod. I built it to my taste and specifications. I learned an immence amount during the build process, as I did all the work myself (with the exception of the clutch). My car is cool, fast and handles like a slot car, but it is not a Shelby. Short of Carroll's autograph on my dash and Cleo's on my fuse box cover, it does not have the any snakes or Shelby branding anywhere on the car.

I have owned several 60's Shelbys and by comparison, the S197-based Shelbys are the nuts. They can be be driven anywhere, anytime.

Be patient and do your homework. New Shelby GTs are still available (now with 60 month 0% financing) and GT500s are plentiful, both new and used. Check Ebay, there is a seller in Texas with four 2007 GT500s with less than 1k miles, for under $37K (and they have competitive loan interest rates).

As you can probably tell from this post, I will be adding an S197 based Shelby soon. :D

Buying a clone for the purpose of fooling people is dishonorable and not looked well upon by anyone with any maturity about them.

I don't plan on putting the 'Shelby' name on it anywhere, I just want to make myself happy until I am finished with college and afford the real thing. I haven't started on the build yet I'm still looking for the perfect car. I'm still young so I am taking all the time in the world to look for the perfect car.

If you really want a Shelby, I suggest waiting until you've saved up enough for one. Personally, I would not be happy with a clone. I would always know it's not a Shelby. If you just want a mustang to tide you over until you can get a Shelby, go for it, but I don't think you'd really be happy with a clone.

In general, I feel people should do what they want, but clones do bother me a bit, especially people who try to pass them off as real. There's a guy around Denver that tries to pull that $h!t. I know you're not trying to do that, but do you really want to spend all your time answering the question, "Is that a real Shelby?"

....but do you really want to spend all your time answering the question, "Is that a real Shelby?"

Yeah I didn't think about that... :banghead:

Like I said I'm still young and if I come across any Shelby with the right price, I'm buying. I just seriously miss having a V8.

Guest markham51

Mustangs are made to be customized.

Have fun with it and make it look like whatever you want.

IMHO, I dont think anyone should rebadge a Mustang to a Shelby or Cobra regardless of their intent.

I don't like any clones that pass themselves off as the real thing (badging) even by accident. There will be that time where someone will think it's the real thing and the cloner will wonder how it feels to say yes...and they do. At that moment the cloner is a poser. :nonono:

Which brings up the biggest problem with clones. Once a seller realizes he can get more for his clone by not disclosing its a clone the easier it is for them to make the decision to go that route.

I'm not saying the OP would do that when the time comes to sell his clone but how can he guarantee that the next owner would be so honest?

The good part is that the SAI registry should help educated buyers from purchasing a clone but what about the buyers who are just learning about Shelby's and don't know what to look for?

In my opinion clones hurt the value of the legit cars so I'm personally against them.

Steve

I have mixed feelings. Not everyone can afford to own the real thing. I think if I were to do one, I would leave something major off the car that would make it easy to identify it. Noi GT or GT500 Stipes, no Snakes ect

Modding a Mustang is fun and addictive. There are so many ways to make one look and perform better.

But I'm with most people on here... I don't think a car should be rebadged. I made some mods to my car and didn't rebadge it, although the mod shop offered that to me.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37464

But when it comes right down to it, it's your car. Do whatever the h3ll you want to do with it! :shift:

Super snake67

I have sat in booth seats, a 427S/C replica and now a 2007 GT H Vert. Growing up I was into sports car racing. Watkins Glen NY and Bridgehampton and Lime Rock a little bit later, after college (1972) I backed packed through Europe for 6 weeks and went to the Biggest and Best Sports Car race in the world The 24 Hours of La Mans, 2 F1 races many local sports car races in six weeks, every where I went the talk was always about Cobras. I lusted after one for as long as I can remember. Because of money(lack of) I kind of got caught up in “proper” sports cars, MG’s, Triumphs Morgan’s, and I could not get enough of My sisters boyfriends XKE- one incredible machine it was very fast and could turn on a dime-and talk about sex appeal!!!!!! Any way I kept lusting after the 427 Cobra, it was always out of reach, not just out of reach but way out of reach just more money then I could ever afford. I had posters everywhere.

Fast forward 34 years, no mortgage, no tuition payments. Maybe NOW????

NO, real Cobras still way out of reach so I got myself a 427 s/c replica- my dream come true. It was scary fast and had IRS (like real sports cars) and could handle like a dream. I never had any Cobra badges Shelby badges, or AC badges except for one on the steering wheel.( I had to fill the hole with something!) never tried to pass it off as anything other then a replica and my dream car. Driving it was sirreal. It won awards at EVERY local show I entered (Even a second at a Vete show (I still think I should have won but I feel they just would not let a Cobra win!!). When driving it, or admiring it, it did not matter to me that it did not have real Cobra DNA- it looked like one and preformed like one and to me that was all that mattered. I would go out to the garage just to look at it. From every angle it was beautiful. Now owning a GT H with real Shelby DNA I don’t feel any emotional difference. I had the same emotional attachment to the replica as to the GT H(I have always felt that whatever I was driving… that it’s my car and I only have to make myself happy). I guess what I am trying to say is as long as the car- replica or “real”- makes you happy go for it,- money will always dictate what we drive. If you want the looks and performance of a Shelby and can’t afford a real one, then make one- just don’t pass it off as anything other then what it is- a clone.

Rich

I'm not a fan of clones especially a Shelby that is why I waited so long to buy my SGT and flew out of state to pick her up and drove her home with a huge smile on my face. I'd just wait- I too am looking for a GT500 but I will need to pay off my SGT off first. My dream is to own both and that should be it for me in owning sport cars. Half way there already. Man, at 16-18% rates I'd be holding back also. Anything over 6 is too much imo. Good luck in your searches, the deals are out there-tax returns & stimulus checks should be nice down payments :happy feet:

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not a fan of clones especially a Shelby that is why I waited so long to buy my SGT and flew out of state to pick her up and drove her home with a huge smile on my face. I'd just wait- I too am looking for a GT500 but I will need to pay off my SGT off first. My dream is to own both and that should be it for me in owning sport cars. Half way there already. Man, at 16-18% rates I'd be holding back also. Anything over 6 is too much imo. Good luck in your searches, the deals are out there-tax returns & stimulus checks should be nice down payments :happy feet:

Having read this entire thread, I find one thing very interesting. Everyone is talking about cloning NEW Shelbys. I agree that new ones are affordable, especially when you look for a used one. Even a Shelby GT-H can be had for around $35K. But what about a 60s Shelby. I own three 'new' Shelbys, and would love to own a late 60s one. But the cost is about what the three new ones are, and then some. So I don't see a problem with an early clone since they are just no longer available at a price that is affordable. As long as you are not trying to sell it as an original, why not live the dream that may never be.

Having read this entire thread, I find one thing very interesting. Everyone is talking about cloning NEW Shelbys. I agree that new ones are affordable, especially when you look for a used one. Even a Shelby GT-H can be had for around $35K. But what about a 60s Shelby. I own three 'new' Shelbys, and would love to own a late 60s one. But the cost is about what the three new ones are, and then some. So I don't see a problem with an early clone since they are just no longer available at a price that is affordable. As long as you are not trying to sell it as an original, why not live the dream that may never be.

I agree Neil, good to see you again,

Hows Texas treating ya?

Guest hfrosso
Breast implants are fun to look at, but not so fun to play with. I guess the same could be said for Shelby clones. :hysterical:

You got it all wrong!Let's fix this :

Shelby clones may be fun to play with it ,after all ,still a mustang. But not so good to look at it;

Breast implants are great to look at it , and a lot's of fun to play with it!!!!

You see , you can't said they're the same!! :confused:

Archived