TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hmmm... Ford rates eco boost V6 at 350HP

I don't think you're on to anything.

The GT350 didn't get it's name from the HP, so why would this indicate anything?

Ken

Neither did the original GT500... However, when the "new-gen" GT500 was in development, the HP rating was originally around 475HP... But "somehow" it managed to be exactly 500HP when the car when into production... While I am NOT a fan of the V-6 going into anything "GT350" (which is what the SGT should have been from the first place)... I don't think we, as the paying customers, really have a say in it anyhow...

Neither did the original GT500... However, when the "new-gen" GT500 was in development, the HP rating was originally around 475HP... But "somehow" it managed to be exactly 500HP when the car when into production... While I am NOT a fan of the V-6 going into anything "GT350" (which is what the SGT should have been from the first place)... I don't think we, as the paying customers, really have a say in it anyhow...

My thoughts exactly.

Think about it though, big weight savings, = better handling, its a Shelby and nice HP. Whats not to like!? And as far as the other comments regarding Shelby does not equal V6. Look no further than Shelby's independant lineup of the CS6 models.

My thoughts exactly.

Think about it though, big weight savings, = better handling, its a Shelby and nice HP. Whats not to like!? And as far as the other comments regarding Shelby does not equal V6. Look no further than Shelby's independant lineup of the CS6 models.

Don't forget the Terlingua V-6 only packages... Maybe a test "mule" dressed up as a "bunny"... And "hidden" right there in plain sight :headscratch:

Don't forget the Terlingua V-6 only packages... Maybe a test "mule" dressed up as a "bunny"... And "hidden" right there in plane sight :headscratch:

+1

whether we like it or not, the auto industry is headed in that direction. Shelby will have to move that direction too if they want to stay in the game. Im sure SAI loves to make us happy, but in the end they are not in business to make us happy. The number one reason they are in business is to make money, as it is for any business.

Chris

Don't forget the Terlingua V-6 only packages... Maybe a test "mule" dressed up as a "bunny"... And "hidden" right there in plane sight :headscratch:

+1

whether we like it or not, the auto industry is headed in that direction. Shelby will have to move that direction too if they want to stay in the game. Im sure SAI loves to make us happy, but in the end they are not in business to make us happy. The number one reason they are in business is to make money, as it is for any business.

Chris

I think you can look for the Shelby GT350 to be produced for 2011 now that Ford has gotton the new eco boost V6 engine rated for 350HP. Coincidence... I think NOT!!! GT350 buyers get your check books started.

Might be an error there - the new eco boost V6 is rated 365 HP in the new Taurus SHO. The GT350 name was not named for the car's horsepower rating originally anyway, and I don't think they'll detune it to 350 HP for the Mustang!

Might be an error there - the new eco boost V6 is rated 365 HP in the new Taurus SHO. The GT350 name was not named for the car's horsepower rating originally anyway, and I don't think they'll detune it to 350 HP for the Mustang!

Well it's rated 350hp in some other ford vehicle I think the edge? Auto week was reviewing the car at the auto show last episode.

Ok I forgot I had that episode dvr'ed it's the 2010 Lincoln MKT.

• 1 month later...

I often get asked what makes the basic foundation for a true muscle car. My answer:

1) Front Engine

2) Rear Wheel Drive (or All Wheel Drive that primarily uses the rear wheels)

3) 8 or more cylinders! (remember that the first 200ci Mustangs were considered Pony cars when they came out)

BTW, whenever Shelby builds a certain type of car (like the Terlingua)- you can bet that Ford will NOT follow the exact idea. Both companies want to have a certain niche of the performance market. Honestly, if you went to a dealership and saw a new 2010 Shelby Terlingua or a 2010 Ford Shelby GT350, most of use would buy the Terlingua because it's modified by Shelby Automobiles. So, don't plan on getting the GT350 name. However, you will probably get a "sport" version that uses the eco boost design (just years of Ford experience talking here).

I often get asked what makes the basic foundation for a true muscle car. My answer:

1) Front Engine

2) Rear Wheel Drive (or All Wheel Drive that primarily uses the rear wheels)

3) 8 or more cylinders! (remember that the first 200ci Mustangs were considered Pony cars when they came out)

BTW, whenever Shelby builds a certain type of car (like the Terlingua)- you can bet that Ford will NOT follow the exact idea. Both companies want to have a certain niche of the performance market. Honestly, if you went to a dealership and saw a new 2010 Shelby Terlingua or a 2010 Ford Shelby GT350, most of use would buy the Terlingua because it's modified by Shelby Automobiles. So, don't plan on getting the GT350 name. However, you will probably get a "sport" version that uses the eco boost design (just years of Ford experience talking here).

Yep I agree if its a GT350 its got to be a rear wheel driven car with a V8. But a Ecoboost V6 would be great in a Terlingua it enhances a pretty good platform it could be a really good car that handles good has some power and is light to make up for the lack of a V8. I think Shelby owns the GT350 designation so it would be like with the GT500's probably a partnership with Ford and the Terlingua coming pretty much as a stand alone car from SAI. I'd really like to see the 5.0 liter motor putting out about 400Hp N/A in a Boss I know alot of folks that are really hoping that happens. But now its a matter of what they can get by CARB standards with I'd imagine.

We were originally advised by Amy that the SAI/Ford contract to produce a Shelby Mustang was good through 2010.

Has there been any info floating around about a new contract that would carry into 2011?

I thought they had a 6 year contract for use of the Shelby name. However I would be surprised if Ford ever build another car with SAI like the ShelbyGT or the GT500KR.

If a GT350 is built my guess is it will be a SAI converted Mustang GT done in house like the Terlingua.

I don't think Ford has anything to worry about ...LOL That interior is butt ugly and the car sounds "tinny"

"We first noticed the sound when we were following the manual-transmission car out of GM's proving grounds in Milford, Michigan. On hard acceleration, the exhaust note sounded synthetic, like an old Pontiac V6 or even some Nissan V6s of the recent past. But the Camaro's voice was pitched even higher and tinnier. "Is that the, uh, final exhaust tuning on the V6?" we ventured without trying to sound too damning. "

IMO if there is a 2011 gt350 it would be extremely well balanced,fast given the fact that the eco twin turbo is light weight and capable of producing over 450 awd horsepower with an advanced tune that Ford and it's performance partners have already developed. I would tend to think that the gt350 should and will always be a v-8 car.But anything is possible when you have technology producing that much power out of a v-6.

SCOTTY G.

Archived